Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Even in the first episode, when Shaw's eating alone and listening to classical music (TV shorthand for rear end in a top hat)

That’s every Trek character except Zephram Cochrane and Kelvin Kirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The Beastie Boys is classical :slick:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I’m actually glad they killed Robert and René so the Picard writers couldn’t get their slimy mitts on them.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Rene of Borg-undy

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

At this point I am only interested in Picard if it sets us up with a Seven of Nine and Doctor reunion aboard Museum Voyager

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Lol, just rewatched the saucer crash scene, I had forgotten the part right at the end where all the seats at once decide to tip forward and the two front stations slide like a carnival ride.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
It's hilarious.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

sitchensis posted:

At this point I am only interested in Picard if it sets us up with a Seven of Nine and Doctor reunion aboard Museum Voyager
Having the Doctor still on Voyager (and missing that he could move freely in later seasons) is definitely something that Picard’s writers would do.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
If you guys like Shaw (which yea he is the best part) that actor plays basically the same exact character in 12 Monkeys.

Also, not a fan of how Ro Laren popped up briefly, revealing she abandoned the marquis.

Think it would be more interesting if she survived eradication at the hand of the dominion and lives somewhere jaded and scarred with Thomas Riker on some small moon.

Death By The Blues fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 18, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Boxturret posted:

Lol, just rewatched the saucer crash scene, I had forgotten the part right at the end where all the seats at once decide to tip forward and the two front stations slide like a carnival ride.

It's like the whole bridge set floor just slides forward about 10 feet towards the view screen taking everyone with it, it's so awkward. And even before that, Frakes and Dorn just commit whole hog to their action leaps/falls over the chairs and the wood arch, while Sirtis just lazily and gently falls on her back out of the helm station chair and yet she sells it like she just got clocked in the head by a 2x4. It looks so goofy, it's actually endearing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Boxturret posted:

Personally been watching the TNG films for the first time with a bud and I have just been introduced to Picard's deleted-scene roller coaster harness chair, along with Nemesis. And thanks to that saucer crash I'm convinced Starfleet doesn't install them because they'd still break all your bones if the ship had to do an emergency nose-grind.

edit: And personally I just can't picture Star Trek without all those front flips!

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

CJacobs posted:

Personally been watching the TNG films for the first time with a bud and I have just been introduced to Picard's deleted-scene roller coaster harness chair, along with Nemesis. And thanks to that saucer crash I'm convinced Starfleet doesn't install them because they'd still break all your bones if the ship had to do an emergency nose-grind.

edit: And personally I just can't picture Star Trek without all those front flips!

Everyone talks about the positive vision of the future, but the real essence of star trek is front flips and two-fisted punches

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Death By The Blues posted:

If you guys like Shaw (which yea he is the best part) that actor plays basically the same exact character in 12 Monkeys.

Also, not a fan of how Ro Laren popped up briefly, revealing she abandoned the marquis.

Think it would be more interesting if she survived eradication at the hand of the dominion and lives somewhere jaded and scarred with Thomas Riker on some small moon.

Ro Laren didn't ask much abandon the Maquis as the Maquis was completely destroyed by the dominion

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Did they ever explain the cause of that fire? I bet it was a highwayman, even though they haven't been seen in those parts in centuries.

It was the three Borg mercenaries from season 2 who are still stuck in the walls.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It was the three Borg mercenaries from season 2 who are still stuck in the walls.

At least they didn't disturb the loose brick Picard placed in the wall three centuries earlier.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rene of Borg-undy

Renee's collective in inherited by either Space Austria, Space Spain, or Space France.

(I've been playing too much EUIV)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Watched The Undiscovered Country last night for the first time in ages in glorious 4K, and what a great movie. Is it better than Wrath of Khan? I couldn't fault you if you said it was. A perfect send-off for the crew, really fun, and quite different from the rest of the OG movies. Still, lots of examples of "bad writing" that if it was in Picard season 3 people would be frothing about, but still just a great movie.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The biggest thing I can think of is that apparently Uhura, the communications officer on the Enterprise who speaks a ton of languages...never tried to learn Klingon, probably the most important language for her to know.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Eimi posted:

The biggest thing I can think of is that apparently Uhura, the communications officer on the Enterprise who speaks a ton of languages...never tried to learn Klingon, probably the most important language for her to know.

Or the alarm for firing a phaser that we never saw before or since.
RIP mashed potatoes

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

Watched The Undiscovered Country last night for the first time in ages in glorious 4K, and what a great movie. Is it better than Wrath of Khan? I couldn't fault you if you said it was. A perfect send-off for the crew, really fun, and quite different from the rest of the OG movies. Still, lots of examples of "bad writing" that if it was in Picard season 3 people would be frothing about, but still just a great movie.

A bit of a weird swipe. Like even the two examples just brought up are more in the realm of particularly weak CinemaSins than the criticisms that have been made of Picard.

Good movie, though.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Alrighty, I'll take the bait.

Alan_Shore posted:

Still, lots of examples of "bad writing" that if it was in Picard season 3 people would be frothing about, but still just a great movie.

Such as?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Actual Satan posted:

RIP mashed potatoes

At least for the movies that preceded it, I can't recall an unauthorized phaser being fired on a starship. Or any phaser for that matter.

Edit; though admittedly it's been about 25 years since I paid attention to The Final Frontier aside from the McCoy-and-his-dad scene

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 18, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

The one that always bugged me was the Klingon about to spill the beans, and right as he says, "His name is..." is exactly when Kirk and McCoy get beamed up. Bit of a mystery box, you might say. At least the silliness of it is immediately acknowledged and played for laughs (and character-based laughs; not just Whedon-esque one-liners) in what could have easily been a "grimdark" slog of a story in the wrong hands.

Edit; okay, I'll stop tweaking my sentences. But one more thing. Let's just admit that the black fuzzy tracking device on Kirk's shoulder surviving all the way to prison is a bit much. But at least it's telegraphed and not, say, hinted at on a screen readout.

Now hit me with those gaseous planetary anomalies that Excelsior Enterprise is tracking.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 18, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The one that always bugged me was the Klingon about to spill the beans, and right as he says, "His name is..." is exactly when Kirk and McCoy get beamed up. Bit of a mystery box, you might say. At least the silliness of it is immediately acknowledged and played for laughs in what could have easily been a "grimdark" slog of a story in the wrong hands.
Well thats part of the difference between mystery and mystery box. That question was resolved only a few scenes later, cuz it was an important part of the main plot that all the characters wanted the answer to. And the answer was planned ahead and was wholly consistent with events earlier in the movie.

In contrast its not actually important what's in the mystery box, the only purpose is to tantalize and get people to tune in next week. Famously, in many cases, the writers and producers don't know and don't care what's in the box.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Eimi posted:

Yep, that's one! Great scene, though.

Actual Satan posted:

RIP mashed potatoes

That's another! Surely everyone on the ship knows about the phaser alarm. She didn't need to demonstrate it.

Alrighty, I'll take the bait.

Such as?

How about Spock tracking Kirk with a piece of velcro stuck to his shoulder that is VERY OBVIOUS and the Klingons didn't notice or detect it?

I'm sure if a similar forced mind meld scene happened in Picard people ITT would be furious.

Or Volaris naming the conspirators and then just saying "Romulan ambassador". The dude doesn't even have a name lol

The whole assassination plot was "snipe the chancellor from a window" while wearing a rubber mask. Like, where is security?

Again, none of these bothers me at all and I can totally see why they're there. But Picard season 3 does similar things and it absolutely roasted for it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's a mystery, not a mystery box. The premise of the film is that there's a conspiracy to kill Gorkon and stop peace, and the heroes realise immediately that at least part of the conspiracy is within Starfleet. The conspiracy is central to the theme of the film that xenophobia and fear are the real enemy, because it turns out that Starfleet and Klingon officers were working together to start a war because as nonsense as that sounds, it was less scary to them than peace.

The 'flaws' with 6 are that it gets through crucial moments in the narrative via the power of convenience: Saavik doesn't know where the peace conference is being held, so the crew call up Sulu and he just tells them without hesitation.

E: I would say the reason the convenience is unobjectionable is that there aren't any points in the film where there's an obvious thing the characters would have to do to achieve their goal if a convenient thing didn't happen. Ultimately all fictional stories are convenient events strung along, the point is there are no adversity skipping short cuts.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 18, 2023

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Well thats part of the difference between mystery and mystery box. That question was resolved only a few scenes later, cuz it was an important part of the main plot that all the characters wanted the answer to. And the answer was planned ahead and was wholly consistent with events earlier in the movie.

In contrast its not actually important what's in the mystery box, the only purpose is to tantalize and get people to tune in next week. Famously, in many cases, the writers and producers don't know and don't care what's in the box.

Yuuuup. This has got me thinking the past few minutes about the iffy bits (in that I have to hesitate on who I recommend it to) of Undiscovered Country and why they get a pass when I try to eliminate nostalgia points in my bias.

An exploding moon eliminating an entire empire.
A painting of it as the Excelsior's visual.
Christopher Plummer being an absolute ham.
Spock performing a brutal violation of Valeris' mind.
Kirk sliding into home to save the Federation president.
And the other stuff already mentioned.

And there's a running theme as to why the movie is still good despite these flaws: The characters and how story is in service to them. For Picard, the scale is heavily balanced the other way. See the discussion two weeks ago about Crusher and Picard wanting to execute Vadic among the biggest examples of this. And the times when the characters come first -- such as Shaw's coping mechanisms, Data and Geordie's friendship -- those are the bits that even the crustiest of us here are still praising despite the mess around them.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
S31 Movie with Yeoh announced. https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/paramount-plus-star-trek-section-31-film-michelle-yeoh-1235586743/

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Alan_Shore posted:

Or Volaris naming the conspirators and then just saying "Romulan ambassador". The dude doesn't even have a name lol

He gets named, it's just mumbled. "Romulan ambassador Nanclus".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/startrekonpplus/status/1648341607916392449?s=46&t=F814wIBuVlXOOvxH-nLAWQ

Oh good, they got the director who loves to spin the camera around nonsensically

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Plotac 75 posted:

He gets named, it's just mumbled. "Romulan ambassador Nanclus".

Heh. It didn't even make the transcript.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Thats just character closure and the section 31 show is dead right....

Right??

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, that reads as they could only get her for like 3 weeks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Certainly seems that way

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I think I can deal with two hours of section 31

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://twitter.com/startrekonpplus/status/1648341607916392449?s=46&t=F814wIBuVlXOOvxH-nLAWQ

Oh good, they got the director who loves to spin the camera around nonsensically

Oh thank God it's just a TV movie.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh thank God it's just a TV movie.

I'm sure they'll still do some 'someone needs to make the hard choices' bullshit though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, that reads as they could only get her for like 3 weeks.

and also "do we have a photo of her on the set? in character? in costume? anything?"

"...we have a picture of michelle yeoh"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Instead of watching the Section 31 movie, you should all just watch Yes, Madam! and pretend it’s a prequel featuring Georgiou’s ancestor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's just someone wearing a paper mask with Michelle yeoh's face on it and the voice is chopped up bits from things she said in discovery.