Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Agents are GO! posted:

Got a source on that? Not doubting you, I'd like to know more.

Besides the mentioned Serana mod, a Yennefer voice pack for DBVO was deleted / taken down (not sure which), a Fallout 4 mod that added more voiced player lines had the author remove them all(voluntarily according to their post), I saw mention of a Mass Effect mod for Jack (same VA as Fallout 4 Nora) was taken down. I don't have any links on hand besides this one for the Fallout 4 mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/69389

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The person that did Arisen just released their new modlist. I remember a lot of people liking the previous modlist they did.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/87820

e: oh, it's a beta i guess

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 9, 2023

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So my method of revisiting Skyrim has been creating characters made specifically to run through the faction questlines (using the Alternate Start mod), with the intent to import them into the "main" character file via Proteus, so as to either have them as potential followers or enemies, and combine all the quest rewards. My goal starting out was to play through Dawnguard and Dragonborn, but I think I might see if can get all the achievements for Skyrim SE.

I've gone through the Dark Brotherhood, and just today I finished up the Thieves' Guild and started on the Companions. With the Companions character I cheated a little, because I wanted them to be a paladin, so I gave them the Paladin Armor from Immersive Armors and a Dwarven Greatsword during character creation. The Dwarven Greatsword soon got replaced with one of the Skyforge weapons, but I realized the Paladin Armor upgrades via ebony ingots, so it may be a bit overpowered starting out.

In regards to the faction questlines, the Dark Brotherhood wasn't too bad, but the Thieves' Guild was as awful as I had read. The most annoying part of it was that (in trying to get one of the achievements), you have to do five or so radiant quests in four of the cities (Solitude, Whiterun, Markharth, and Windhelm) in order to unlock four special jobs that let you officially become the guild leader. The radiant quests are randomized, so you can either get quests for a city you've already 'completed' or quests for Riften, which don't count towards progress. Eventually, I put down a save before asking for jobs so I could reload until I got it for one of the cities I hadn't completed.

The Companions have been pretty standard, but I'm enjoying it a bit more than the Thieves' Guild stuff because going with Two-Handed and Heavy Armor has been a bit more streamlined that the previous two runs. With the Dark Brotherhood, I went with Stealth/Light Armor, but instead of Archery, I leaned more on One-Handed with a focus on daggers, while also using Alchemy, and that turned out pretty well (the DB armor gives you some pretty good stealth and stealth-attack bonuses). With the Thief character, I fell into the trap of the Stealth Archer, though it seems like the Ordinator perks make it so that you aren't able to exploit stealth archery as badly (at least not with the early perks).

Anyway, to roll all this back onto the topic of modding, running through the faction questlines has made me curious as to whether there's a mod or set of mods that people play through in lieu of the main quest and the vanilla factions. I know of a couple of mods that add new locations, like Moonpath to Elsweyr and Beyond Skyrim: Bruma, and there's Helgen Reborn, which I've heard is pretty extensive. However, I don't know of any other questlines that are akin to the factions, or just add new, more varied content (i.e. something with a new set of assets, rather than the typical cave/Dwemer/fort stuff).

I was also curious: when starting new characters, does anyone ever boost the character's level? Because of the leveled lists and quest rewards, you get kind of lousy rewards starting out, and the result of me playing through the faction quests with different characters is a lot of the same rewards (iron weapons or leather armor, payments of only about 100g or so, etc.) I know there's a mod that tweaks bounty payouts to be higher based on the target and your level, and there's mods that place unique, static gear in the same style as Morrowind (Morrowloot, I think?), but is there a mod that starts you at a higher level, or is just something you have to do manually?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 10, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Closest I can think of to a "start at level X" mod is using something like the Skyrim Community Uncapper to mess around with the exp required for the earlier levels so you zoom through them in like one or two quests. You could also use the console to manually set your level to whatever you want IIRC.

The main problem with this is that "powerleveling" just your character level and no combat skills will leave you underpowered for combat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Use player.advskill (skill name) # to advance skills manually. Which will level your skills as if you were using them so the skill goes up. The number is individual experience ticks you would get for like hitting a monster with a sword once, not the number you want it to go up. So player.advskill alchemy 1 doesn't increase your alchemy from 16 to 17

Here's a good explanation of the math behind it. I would save before doing any of this because if you accidentally advance a skill too far I'm not sure how to undo it.

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Console_Commands_(Skyrim)/Skills

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Closest I can think of to a "start at level X" mod is using something like the Skyrim Community Uncapper to mess around with the exp required for the earlier levels so you zoom through them in like one or two quests. You could also use the console to manually set your level to whatever you want IIRC.

The main problem with this is that "powerleveling" just your character level and no combat skills will leave you underpowered for combat.

From what I skimmed through here, Skyrim Community Uncapper sounds like it allows for a lot of flexibility, but it also sounds like you have to tweak a lot of it through an .ini, and there are a lot of variables, so I worry about messing something up. I also don't know how it might work being midway through a playthrough. Still, it's something I'll have to check out if/when I do another modded install (changing the health/magicka/stamina gains on level up to something higher would be cool).

With Ordinator, it seems like the initial perk of each combat and armor tree opens it up where you can get major bonuses right off the bat (ex. first point of Two-Handed gives you 25% increase to damage, and the second (which occupies that same slot) ups it to 50%, plus 2% more crit damage per point of Two-Handed).

Air Skwirl posted:

Use player.advskill (skill name) # to advance skills manually. Which will level your skills as if you were using them so the skill goes up. The number is individual experience ticks you would get for like hitting a monster with a sword once, not the number you want it to go up. So player.advskill alchemy 1 doesn't increase your alchemy from 16 to 17

Here's a good explanation of the math behind it. I would save before doing any of this because if you accidentally advance a skill too far I'm not sure how to undo it.

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Console_Commands_(Skyrim)/Skills

I guess I can give that a try.

I did a search, and I found a mod called You Are Not A Novice - Higher Level Start, where it gives you a choice of classes, and boosts the relative skills. That said, I can't seem to find into on what level it ultimately boosts you to (sounds like it varies, depending on your choice of skill level and the race you pick)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 10, 2023

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/89312

This is pretty sweet, don't have to open CK to fix a deleted navmesh problem.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I was in the mood to play Skyrim and have not played it since it came out. I know there are a bunch of modpacks out now and Wabajack exists. Is there a specific one anyone can point me to which only enhances the graphics and maybe deals with critical stuff like bug fixes but does not change gameplay?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I think AVO and Ascensio are the only visual only modlists on wabbajack.

Not sure if this link works, you might have to click unofficial to see both of them.

E: I haven't played either but both authors have been around for awhile and are solid.

https://www.wabbajack.org/gallery?selectedGame=Skyrim%20Special%20Edition&selectedTags=Visuals%20Only

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Any suggestion between the two?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Diogines posted:

Any suggestion between the two?

I haven't played either, so I don't really know. They both have videos on youtube of people playing them so I would just see which one looks better for you I guess.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Haven't tried Ascensio, but AVO appears to be a far larger/more extensive graphical overhaul for better or worse. I didn't notice anything too off with AVO, although I got thrown off a few times from some of the bigger changes like throwing in a Khajiit diversity overhaul mod.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Thank you very much.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 16, 2023

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Also, I'm not sure about performance on those lists, might require a beefy pc.

e: if you want better performance and don't mind some things added something like septimus or his other modlist dragonborn might be good, i know a lot of people in this thread like septimus

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 16, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Saw the There Is No Umbra mod on the hot files and thought I would check it out because having a floating sword fight with me seemed like a cool idea. Was not expecting the sword to get horny and turn into a flesh and blood woman never change modders.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You see that sword? You can gently caress it

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's any sword, if you're brave enough.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Reject Modernity.

Ainsley McTree posted:

You see that sword? You can gently caress it

Also,

Skyrim Modding: You see that sword? You can gently caress it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Skyrim Modding: Buddy, they let me gently caress the sword

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Agents are GO! posted:

Skyrim Modding: You see that sword? You can gently caress it

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flowing Thot posted:

Saw the There Is No Umbra mod on the hot files and thought I would check it out because having a floating sword fight with me seemed like a cool idea. Was not expecting the sword to get horny and turn into a flesh and blood woman never change modders.

It doesn't just turn into one, you have to harvest body parts to make a new body or something... and then it can just possess people and take their bodies.

Weird vibes!

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

I found myself pot committed because I had installed the mod and then played for 10 hours before actually starting it and then was hours deep before I thought hmmm this is weird. So I ended up just pushing through because I didn’t want to roll back my save that far. The writing around the characters and romance is pretty bad but there is some interesting thoughts around the periphery about the player and their actions in Skyrim and their relationship with the world. Pretty basic bandits have feelings too stuff but I remembering finding some of it interesting.

Mechanically it had a lot of things I hated about player made quest mods. Trying to get too complicated with the story they are trying to tell when their programming of it doesn’t live up to their goals. Often incredibly vague instructions with a real lack of quest markers. Someone will tell you a location once in dialogue and it will not be marked down in your journal at all and no quest marker. Encounters relying on very specific events that easily break. Quest objectives you are not told you need to do but are mandatory. I had to reload a ton to get the mod to work these issues were almost all in chapter three which just came out. Chapter one and two was far more polished. I would have dropped it a long time ago without the author having a walkthrough with common issues listed along the way so I guess good on them for that. I will say riding on the sword like a hover board is cool.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Flowing Thot posted:

I will say riding on the sword
:stare:
Do te—

Flowing Thot posted:

like a hover board is cool.
Oh. Sorry, it's just the earlier remarks you'd made, well. My mind went places mid-sentence.

fake edit: Oh hey, we officially have a new thread title! :toot:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flowing Thot posted:

Someone will tell you a location once in dialogue and it will not be marked down in your journal at all and no quest marker.

This and some of those other things are a symptom of a thing I hate, "GAMES USED TO NOT HOLD YOUR HAND!" grousing. I mean yeah, true, and I used to get lost in them and need help a whole lot. I'm sorry my memory isn't very good, especially if I stand up to do something else and then come back!

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Like when Morrowind gave you a quest there was no quest marker true but it had the journal that said where it was and what landmarks are nearby and how to get there.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Has anyone here tried Legendary Skyrim Crossbows and Bows SSE? I was looking to see if there was something that added more material types for the crossbows (outside of the Creation Club additions, you have to pay like $9 for), and I ran across this, but if you're installing it in the middle of a playthrough (which is what I'd be doing) you have to follow some specific steps.

quote:

A cell reset is mandatory when using this: <---- Not when starting a new game!
Using the command console (Tap the tilde "~" key in game)

Enter commands for the reset:

setgs iHoursToRespawnCell 1
setgs iHoursToRespawnCellCleared 1

Then wait in game for a minute or two:

Then re-apply the vanilla settings:

setgs iHoursToRespawnCell 240
setgs iHoursToRespawnCellCleared 720

Is that normal to do for some mods?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I use that mod. Works fine.

Some mods do require work mid playthrough because they try to add stuff to the worldspace or whatever when the new game is created. The mod has a bunch of recipe books and a few planted crossbows around the place so forcing the cells to reload so they generate them is probably what's up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I use that mod. Works fine.

Some mods do require work mid playthrough because they try to add stuff to the worldspace or whatever when the new game is created. The mod has a bunch of recipe books and a few planted crossbows around the place so forcing the cells to reload so they generate them is probably what's up.

Yeah it’s just a faster method than making you sit in Whiterun and rest for three days in game. Totally safe and pretty normal.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Midnight Voyager posted:

This and some of those other things are a symptom of a thing I hate, "GAMES USED TO NOT HOLD YOUR HAND!" grousing. I mean yeah, true, and I used to get lost in them and need help a whole lot. I'm sorry my memory isn't very good, especially if I stand up to do something else and then come back!

I mean the recurring pain point is even if you’re someone who doesn’t want the game to be in your face with handholding, it’s not something you can just retrofit— if a game’s level and quest design is relying on “the quest objective will be slapped on the object required”, “just remove the objective marker/compass/journal 5head” won’t fix the fact that the quest npc said “it’s in a cave east of dawnstar” and it’s in an unsignposted, unmarked cave between three other identical unmarked caves due directly south. (And especially for Skyrim, “follow the road south until you see the fortress on the right, then head straight east, it’s got 5 burned corpses on stakes out front, you can’t miss it” can never happen anyways thanks to that radiant pseudo-procgen stuff)

The best games make it optional, design for not having it, and allow you to flip it on and off at a whim if you hit your personal “gently caress it” frustration cap; it’s a shame those are so few and far between

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean the recurring pain point is even if you’re someone who doesn’t want the game to be in your face with handholding, it’s not something you can just retrofit— if a game’s level and quest design is relying on “the quest objective will be slapped on the object required”, “just remove the objective marker/compass/journal 5head” won’t fix the fact that the quest npc said “it’s in a cave east of dawnstar” and it’s in an unsignposted, unmarked cave between three other identical unmarked caves due directly south. (And especially for Skyrim, “follow the road south until you see the fortress on the right, then head straight east, it’s got 5 burned corpses on stakes out front, you can’t miss it” can never happen anyways thanks to that radiant pseudo-procgen stuff)

The best games make it optional, design for not having it, and allow you to flip it on and off at a whim if you hit your personal “gently caress it” frustration cap; it’s a shame those are so few and far between

Oh yeah, agreed. I've just run into too many people who decide it's a moral failing to want a quest marker sometimes.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think a decent compromise between "no handholding whatsoever" and "quest marker that points to the exact item or guy you need" are those area markers you get in the older Assassin's Creed games and such. You get shown the rough area where something is meant to be/happen, but you might have to do a bit of looking around. Or if not that, then similar mechanisms that help to preserve a bit of mystery to the world, without being too much of a pain. Maybe something like the artifact sensors in Stalker: Call of Pripyat?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
thats all fine and good until you accidentally do a fus ro dah and knock the quest item away. I don't think Assassin's creed has that level of bespoke physics interactions like skyrim.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

thats all fine and good until you accidentally do a fus ro dah and knock the quest item away. I don't think Assassin's creed has that level of bespoke physics interactions like skyrim.

I finally started playing through Morrowind this year (finished the main quest and Tribunal, started Bloodmoon, but haven't made much progress), and I would give up the items physics from Skyrim wholeheartedly in exchange for the old inventory system of Morrowind. Being able to take items from your inventory and place them specifically on a table or bookshelf to decorate your home is honestly entertaining, and you don't have to worry about things flying into the air if someone sits down too fast.

-
Getting back to the Skyrim, are there any cool mount mods I should check out? Nexus has them grouped in with Creatures, so it seems a little harder hard to filter down to things you can ride. I found two that I thought about checking out: Dwarven Motorcycle & Other Vehicles and Blaze of Eventide, but I dunno what else there is?

Also, is there anything in terms of house mods I should check out. I was planning on exploring the Hearthfire content, but I don't know how the Hearthfire homes compared to the custom-made houses. Initially, I was going to do Elianora's Breezehome, but A Dragonborn's Fate recommended not to install it (at least not without the patch that fixes the navmeshes), and one of the lighting mods I added also had a patch for it, but I forget which.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I am guessing you are using lux. I have been using LOTD for so long that all other player house mods pale in comparison. It's the skyrim equivalent of living in an upscale NY penthouse right next to your cool workplace.

Skyrim's inventory system would be fine if they allowed us to rotate items while picking them up.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Went to use a new ENB and said to myself wow this looks terrible. Go to uninstall it and realize I put the files in the wrong folder and it wasn't in use.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I've been liking this enb lately and it's nice because it uses vanilla weather.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/78124

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hi Skyrim modding thread. Is there a "Skyrim 100% ChatGPT NPCs Mod" yet and if not, why not?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

mutata posted:

Hi Skyrim modding thread. Is there a "Skyrim 100% ChatGPT NPCs Mod" yet and if not, why not?

Well, yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Zn89_g7ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Max Wilco posted:

I finally started playing through Morrowind this year (finished the main quest and Tribunal, started Bloodmoon, but haven't made much progress), and I would give up the items physics from Skyrim wholeheartedly in exchange for the old inventory system of Morrowind. Being able to take items from your inventory and place them specifically on a table or bookshelf to decorate your home is honestly entertaining, and you don't have to worry about things flying into the air if someone sits down too fast.

https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/situational-gravity

quote:

If something gets knocked to the floor, you may as well just resign yourself to its new permanent location.