Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
the lines on the economy graphs are basically cursive written by the hand of the free market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Naming a new company slack channel #pity-city in her honor.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Notification: you have left #pity-city

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Makes sense. I would want to be behind walls and guards too.

I assume the general response was lots of hashtag you go girl, slay queen and girlboss.

I don't use twitter, I just assume thats the sort of thing people say in response to things like this.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
IME people say nothing, dead quiet, and then when meeting is over do private channels and say "what the gently caress was that poo poo"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I have a question about this I brought up in the Ukraine thread.

I've had to use Yandex to find articles and events I had prior knowledge of, like a Ukrainian drone/cruise missile hitting Croatia last March, the Ukrainian defence chief's article about their war strategy for 2023. I know these events took place and were documented (and the articles found on yandex confirmed it), but I also remember googling them in the first place. So clearly some change took place between then and now.

Alright, so, is this 100% a commercial algorithm change or is it - even partly - ideological?

I have never had as much trouble using google as I'm having now, to the point where I just use JSTOR to do initial searches, where that used to be much more cumbersome.

DuckDuckGo explicitly said that it was going to downgrade search results from certain "pro-Russia" sources in the wake of the 2022 invasion.

so we know for a fact that duckduckgo, at least, has an ideological agenda underpinning its search results. simply assume that all other search engines are more cagey about it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The wilder internet is excellent if you want to do online shopping, anything else not so much.

We're never going back to how it was back in the good old days. (shitloads of viruses and such aside of course)

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

IME people say nothing, dead quiet, and then when meeting is over do private channels and say "what the gently caress was that poo poo"

we had a chorus of raised eyebrows when they said something really insane

covid was fun because every meeting had management and their beautiful living spaces in the background, while all the worker's backdrops were tiny apartments or the office itself. everything laid out in a tiny grid for you.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Durf posted:

we had a chorus of raised eyebrows when they said something really insane

covid was fun because every meeting had management and their beautiful living spaces in the background, while all the worker's backdrops were tiny apartments or the office itself. everything laid out in a tiny grid for you.

This is why its important to only run your zoom calls from a podium backlit in red and black with banners behind you, flanked by masked armed guards carrying sci-fi weapons of unknown origin.

Running your zoom calls from your pleasure bath the size of a swimming pool full of bubble bath as you chase lost grapes in the suds just doesn't have the same motivational impact.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
haha UK is now officially pushing to privatize NHS. get hosed brits https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sunak-backs-greater-role-for-private-sector-in-providing-nhs-care/ar-AA19P1PL

quote:

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak suggested there should be a greater role for the private sector in the NHS as he set out how he wanted to win voters’ trust on the issue.

Mr Sunak, who has made cutting waiting lists one of his five priorities, was speaking as official figures showed an estimated 7.22 million people were waiting to start routine hospital treatment at the end of February – the highest total since records began in 2007.

Mr Sunak said Tories should not be “hung up” about making the case for greater private sector involvement to help provide competition in the health service.

Asked whether European systems offered better outcomes, the Prime Minister said the NHS was the country’s “number one public service priority” and “our job is to make sure we’re trusted with it”.

The latest NHS England figures showed the number waiting more than a year and a half for treatment has dropped from 45,631 to 29,778, a month-on-month fall of 35%, in fresh evidence that progress is being made on clearing the backlog of longest waits.

Mr Sunak told ConservativeHome: “We are making real progress. Cutting the waiting list is one of my priorities, there’s lots of different ways we are doing that but it’s about doing things differently, it’s about reform, it’s about using the private sector more, the independent sector.

“That’s something that we, actually, should be very comfortable with.

“Ultimately, if a patient is still getting the care they need, free at the point of use, we shouldn’t be so hung up on who is providing it, we should be using the independent sector to provide choice, to provide competition, drive up quality.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Xaris posted:

good. the wedding industrial complex is insane and should be destroyed. i've been with my partner for like 13 years and we're defacto married except not actually; i have zero desire or interest in a "trad" wedding that just completely wipes out our entire bank account. i'd rather just put the money towards a nice vacation instead.

my ideal wedding is getting out on a public beach with friends+family+dogs, setup some outdoor pagotas and tables with a bunch of booze bought en bulk from costco, and buy like $500 worth of thai/indian food or those make-your-own-taco platters from a local place, and just let people get drunk on a beach while playing with dogs.

we did something similar and our friends had such a good time some even admitted to copying us for their own. no gifts or pressure just booze, food, nature and company.

conversely another friend was forced to have a massive traditional italian wedding and it was an absolute nightmare. nothing classier than the parents sending letters afterwards haranguing guests for gifting under $200 value

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
from what ive gathered, london is essentially a cloud forest and cant be burned properly or it would have by now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Durf posted:

nothing classier than the parents sending letters afterwards haranguing guests for gifting under $200 value
lmao italians

yeah the thought of a bunch of gift registries and expensive venues and stressing out lining up a zillion different businesses like invitations, photographer, flowers, dresses, religious iconography, venue, food catering, drink catering, transportation shuttles, and being on a tight time schedule for everything sounds absolutely miserable. i guess if i was obscenely filthy rich and just had someone do all that poo poo for me and all I had to do was show up and gently caress off, sure.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owI7DOeO_yg

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Ammanas posted:

i really doubt this is true but ok

Unemployment Insurance has a typically absurd funding scheme. The Feds provide a trench of money in block grants to States that is "raised" by the tax on employers, along with additional funding for specific oversight programs (always about clawing back "improper" overpayments, never about correcting underpayments) mandated by laws like the Improper Payment Recovery Act (or some poo poo like that) which started under Carter but continue to be built on like a poo poo tower under a park toilet.

States are then left to their own devices for a whole bunch of poo poo. Most of them make their programs worse. Minnesota might be the exception proving that rule.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Bitcoin back to the moon?!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

All the stories have been told
Of kings and days of old
But there's no England now (there's no England now)
All the wars that were won and lost
Somehow don't seem to matter very much anymore

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Xaris posted:

good. the wedding industrial complex is insane and should be destroyed. i've been with my partner for like 13 years and we're defacto married except not actually; i have zero desire or interest in a "trad" wedding that just completely wipes out our entire bank account. i'd rather just put the money towards a nice vacation instead.

my ideal wedding is getting out on a public beach with friends+family+dogs, setup some outdoor pagotas and tables with a bunch of booze bought en bulk from costco, and buy like $500 worth of thai/indian food or those make-your-own-taco platters from a local place, and just let people get drunk on a beach while playing with dogs.

Average wedding cost is like $30k, what an obscene waste of money. Lots of people don’t seem to consider that it’s too expensive either, it’s just accepted that a wedding costs that much and going into debt for it is normal behavior.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

Did GIS results also get much, much worse?

yep. even just recently they got worse.

Frosted Flake posted:

I have a question about this I brought up in the Ukraine thread.

I've had to use Yandex to find articles and events I had prior knowledge of, like a Ukrainian drone/cruise missile hitting Croatia last March, the Ukrainian defence chief's article about their war strategy for 2023. I know these events took place and were documented (and the articles found on yandex confirmed it), but I also remember googling them in the first place. So clearly some change took place between then and now.

Alright, so, is this 100% a commercial algorithm change or is it - even partly - ideological?

I have never had as much trouble using google as I'm having now, to the point where I just use JSTOR to do initial searches, where that used to be much more cumbersome.

if I had to bet I'd bet on it being commercial/technical. Google has kind of obliterated any search results beyond page 7 in most cases. also sometimes it just does not pick up actual articles. actually, wasn't there a spat between google and canada that resulted in google just not showing news articles in some cases for canada? any chance that's it?

i really doubt it's ideological. historically google doesn't really do that for long. you can go find a lot of previously big "google finally blocked x" poo poo in search results again. I think search is really just tipping into actual unusability now

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Cuttlefush posted:

BERT's inclusion in google's search has probably been responsible for a good chunk of its increasing shitness since 2018 (https://blog.google/products/search/search-language-understanding-bert/). BERT isn't exactly the same as the GPT/LaMDA but they both use the same underlying math. it's become pretty difficult to drill down and refine results since around then that whatever bullshit these LLMs bring when incorporated might actually be better. probably not, but it'd be hard to be worse.

other way around, i mean LLM's ability to rattle off bullshit when prompted will be a sea-change in the scale of SEO that google is already barely able to keep up with. if any scammer anywhere wants specific search results to go to their malware page, it's dirt cheap and there's nothing google can do to stop them. the sheer amount of correctly-toned words LLMs can generate while saying absolutely nothing will dominate search.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

How much, if any, does the manipulation of search results (companies that advertise getting your name to the top of the results) have to do with it? e: I mean in the sense that it is permanently changing the way the algorithm organizes results?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Harik posted:

other way around, i mean LLM's ability to rattle off bullshit when prompted will be a sea-change in the scale of SEO that google is already barely able to keep up with. if any scammer anywhere wants specific search results to go to their malware page, it's dirt cheap and there's nothing google can do to stop them. the sheer amount of correctly-toned words LLMs can generate while saying absolutely nothing will dominate search.

i don't think that's predictable until it happens. it really depends on specifics. at the moment you can filter out egregious SEO poo poo if you really need to, but you cannot actually refind searches in some cases. seo is annoying but you can dig through it. some queries you just can't actually make like you used to. in this case it's usually pretty technical where there is no SEO poo poo in the results, but the results are for something kind of like the actual query you made. i cant think of any good examples but it happens to me a lot when looking up like author + paper titles. that's not really an issue since google scholar or whatever else can always find them.

but yeah i cant think of any times I got stumped but with a bunch of seo results

Gorson posted:

How much, if any, does the manipulation of search results (companies that advertise getting your name to the top of the results) have to do with it? e: I mean in the sense that it is permanently changing the way the algorithm organizes results?

seo is annoying but i think ultimate google could unfuck it if they wanted. i don't buy the argument that they just can't deal with seo spam. the things they optimize search for, like zero-click searches, just don't care or benefit from the current state of things.

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 11:57 on Apr 18, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Pity City Titty Committee

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1500864070433574916

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Spirits are also very heavily consolidated.

Bacardi, Diageo, and Pernod-Ricard own the vast majority of your spirit selection, no matter if you're at a neighborhood liquor store or a high end bar.

also it's all ethanol with artificial flavor additives now. I'm not sure where the line is drawn when we're talking large-scale distilling but it's very much industrial production. I'd say it's processed crap because the same factory produces all the types of alcohol from the same base stock + additives the way a soda fountain adds flavors to carbonated water.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Floor is lava posted:

twitter.com/nypost/status/1500864070433574916

all the links in that article are dead/broken now. tiktok account gone.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

DuckDuckGo explicitly said that it was going to downgrade search results from certain "pro-Russia" sources in the wake of the 2022 invasion.

so we know for a fact that duckduckgo, at least, has an ideological agenda underpinning its search results. simply assume that all other search engines are more cagey about it.

how much SEO do CNN and the like do? is it as much as russia today et al?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cuttlefush posted:

all the links in that article are dead/broken now. tiktok account gone.

makes you think

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Introducing a bunch of profit seeking middle men will make care faster without sacrificing the quality of service, common Tory W

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Floor is lava posted:

makes you think

he gets roasted in the amazon warehouse subreddit. https://old.reddit.com/r/AmazonFC/comments/t9wp62/amazon_employee_films_himself_getting_trapped_by/

top post is apparently loss prevention. there are some posts lower from people who say that it happens all the time, it's a hazard, phones are being taken to prevent whistleblowing. not a whole lot of them. reading that is more grim than the trapped by robot thing

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1648289090733785088

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Harik posted:

also it's all ethanol with artificial flavor additives now. I'm not sure where the line is drawn when we're talking large-scale distilling but it's very much industrial production. I'd say it's processed crap because the same factory produces all the types of alcohol from the same base stock + additives the way a soda fountain adds flavors to carbonated water.

I mean, how else would you make flavored liquors at scale?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

everyone is just waiting for the dip?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the economy keeps not crashing. very concerning for potential growth

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

everyone is just waiting for the dip?

At what point did Zimbabwe dip?

I'm serious I don't know.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

thank you uk for not becoming a banana republic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

And yet the economy has never been better

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 13:17 on Apr 18, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I'm pretty sure this is still lower than how much inflation is rising by, so no surprise people aren't buying bonds you aren't getting a return on.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OhFunny posted:

I'm pretty sure this is still lower than how much inflation is rising by, so no surprise people aren't buying bonds you aren't getting a return on.

Short term T-bills usually don't beat inflation, though. They're the lowest risk / lowest return option, but this is enough to make sure the banking crisis continues because all the bank savings accounts are still paying 0.5% or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Twerk from Home posted:

Short term T-bills usually don't beat inflation, though. They're the lowest risk / lowest return option, but this is enough to make sure the banking crisis continues because all the bank savings accounts are still paying 0.5% or some poo poo.

last time i checked it was like 0.1% but yeah lol