Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

Everything I've heard about Taiwan's military makes me think they'd get loving rolled, outside of the natural benefits being on a mountainous island affords them. The younger generation doesn't want to fight, the older officers are all spies, their equipment sucks and their defenses have all decayed. Anecdotally, I've read at least one book (it was by Jung Chang so take it with a grain of salt) that claimed the KMT lost the war because their general staff was full of communist spies who intentionally lost. I don't know if that was true but if so it would fit the image of Chiang being literally the most cucked man in history.

Admittedly, the “leak” is just about pressuring the RoC to just buy more arms and spent more on its budget, but yeah it perhaps isn’t a great surprise that Taiwan’s defense has been growing relatively weaker versus the PRC, you have all the typical issues of a liberal country coupled with being an island nation of about 23 million people. In addition, I think there has been a silent omission for a while their military is never going to be able to put up a real fight against the PRC, and dumping their spending on defense isn’t going to change much strategically.

Most of the Taiwanese military is just old Cold War US equipment with some upgrades here and there. It would be fine if they were just in the middle of nowhere.

As for the KMT during the war, it was clear the US didn’t trust Chiang and the amount of heavy equipment, especially tanks given over was pretty minimal. In addition, the morale of the ROC’s ground force was extremely low once they got pushed out of Manchuria and for the most part no one really wanted to fight to the death for a notoriously corrupt government, I wouldn’t be surprised if there were generals on the take because well that was the whole government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

200 US military trainers now in Taiwan

quote:

2023/04/17 15:42

The U.S. has reportedly sent more than 200 troops to Taiwan to provide military training to Taiwan's armed forces.

In February, the Wall Street Journal cited U.S. officials as saying that 100 to 200 soldiers will be dispatched to Taiwan in the coming months. On Sunday, Up Media quoted military sources as saying the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command has dispatched more than 200 military trainers to Taiwan to assist local forces in training and propose improvements.

Among the more than 200 instructors, 80% are from the U.S. army. Most of the American instructors are stationed at new training centers and reserve brigades of Taiwan's Army.

The U.S. army instructors are to provide on-the-spot evaluations of training and will propose improvements. Next year, Taiwan will resume the one-year compulsory service period, and recruit training will adopt the combat training programs proposed by the U.S. military to cope with the People's Liberation Army.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

oh well nevermind, I take it all back

the US sending advisors is never chapter 1 in a book about a country that no longer exists, no sir

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
China really doesn't have to set a single foot on Taiwan's beaches when they can just blockade the place. Everyone on the ground except the delusional knows that their jobs are pointless make-work mascots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

recruit training will adopt the combat training programs proposed by the U.S. military to cope with the People's Liberation Army.
Exercise COPE AMERICA

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Also isn't like a fairly large percentage of the population living in Taiwan mainlanders to begin with? I wouldn't be surprised if some of those were deep cover saboteurs and poo poo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Exercise COPE AMERICA

The old "we don't have whatever we need right now but we'll have some power point presentations with buzzwords and stuff, it'll be fine".

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mantis42 posted:

Say the words: "Nobel Peace Prize Winner Xi Jinping"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mantis42 posted:

Also isn't like a fairly large percentage of the population living in Taiwan mainlanders to begin with? I wouldn't be surprised if some of those were deep cover saboteurs and poo poo.

Around half a million Taiwanese work and live in mainland. So roundly 3%. I think Beijing has never released the actual number. But the majority are middle management jobs in manufacturing like Foxconn etc.

Military (now including retired) and active civil servants are not allowed to go to the mainland. That was why former prez Ma hadn't been to mainland until this year..

What I am saying is mainland doesn't need the undercover work from these already mainland aligned Taiwanese. They got all the intel they need from active and high level Taiwanese military officers and can hack the rest themselves. Like they already hacked the Taiwanese national hukou system and payroll system, so it's very easy for them to figure out who has changed names recently and are visiting mainland on suspicious reasons.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 11:58 on Apr 18, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bangladesh finds way to pay Russia for nuclear plant: with yuan

quote:

Bangladesh appears to have found a workaround for stalled payments it owes Russia for a nuclear power plant: settling them in Chinese yuan.

With U.S. and European sanctions barring Russia from much of the international banking system, Dhaka has been scrambling for ways to settle repayments worth $110 million for the still under construction Rooppur power plant. But last week, a high-level delegation from Russia and Bangladesh's Ministry of Finance agreed that the bills could be paid in yuan.

Uttam Kumar Karmaker, additional secretary of the ministry's Economic Relations Division (ERD), told Nikkei Asia that repaying Moscow in China's currency appeared to be the most viable option under the present circumstances. The sanctions went up in response to Russia's war in Ukraine.

"Because of the sanctions against Russian banks," Karmaker said, "we couldn't process payments in U.S. dollars. Russia asked us to settle the payments in their currency, rubles, but that was not feasible. So we both opted for yuan."

Rooppur, when completed, will be capable of generating 2,400 megawatts of power. It is to be a crucial element of Bangladesh's plans to generate more energy and reduce its reliance on coal. The new arrangement, which should help ensure the project moves forward, comes amid growing calls from Global South nations and others to move away from the dollar and reduce the dominance of Western-led financial institutions.

Under the pact, Bangladesh will resolve payments with Russia via a Chinese bank, likely drawing on Dhaka's own reserves of yuan. Russian beneficiaries will receive funds through China's Cross-Border Interbank Payment System (CIPS), a yuan-driven alternative to the dollar-dominated SWIFT system.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Bangladesh is going nuclear while we, The West (tm) are closing all of our base load power stations and complaining about our skyrocketing power bills.

I'm going to refill my glass.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i hope TWers like their new drug and sex criminal networks

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There are way more than 200 US military in Taiwan. Half of them are tasked with blowing up the TSMC plants when poo poo hits the fan and stuff the key TSMC engineers on a C17.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

Bangladesh is going nuclear while we, The West (tm) are closing all of our base load power stations and complaining about our skyrocketing power bills.

https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/1648255377023320064

The Chinese and Russians help you build a nuclear reactor

The Germans give you a lecture about climate change right after shutting down theirs

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

it won't happen unfortunately but it would be a literal miracle and proof that xi jinping truly is the son of heaven

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Naw I meant the other way around, not Taiwanese living in the mainland but mainlanders living in Taiwan. It's probably not that hard to get some people on the ground there disguised as office workers or whatever, when the time comes they can blow up critical civilian infrastructure linking parts of the island or down the electrical grid, or something like that. Not as big of a get as turning military officers but I bet Beijing's got a few people there.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DancingShade posted:

I'm going to refill my glass.

bangladesh is going to be more industrialized than the rhineland, and we're all going to be better off for it

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's cheaper to use rocket artillery to blow up station infrastructure targets than use valuable human spies on them. There are definitely human spies and maybe even long term "lost mainland tourists", because Taiwan has tons of undocumented Vietnamese laborers, Taiwanese government has no idea how many they have.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
yea, the pla definitely doesn't need some kinda saboteur network and in fact they'd definitely like to take the island with all the infrastructure and industries intact

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure the publicised plans of the USA to do things like scorched earth and blow up TSMC have probably made a few subversives of their own.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DancingShade posted:

I'm sure the publicised plans of the USA to do things like scorched earth and blow up TSMC have probably made a few subversives of their own.
i think by far the dumbest outcome is the prc makes taiwan an economic and political deal it cant turn down, and it is american cruise missiles that rain down on the island instead

being the dumbest, its obviously also the most likely possiblity in my head

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

i think by far the dumbest outcome is the prc makes taiwan an economic and political deal it cant turn down, and it is american cruise missiles that rain down on the island instead

being the dumbest, its obviously also the most likely possiblity in my head

I was thinking the dumbest thing possible would be for Taiwan to turn the USA weapons they got against the USA expeditionary force in a standoff because the whole command structure was subverted.

However yes, I fully expect the USA to burn the island to the ground in a fit of rage throwing their toys out the pram if China & Taiwan look like reuniting as the old guard die of old age.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what is the popularity of politically rejoining China in Taiwan ?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

stephenthinkpad posted:

Around half a million Taiwanese work and live in mainland. So roundly 3%. I think Beijing has never released the actual number. But the majority are middle management jobs in manufacturing like Foxconn etc.

I recall reading it is about 175k now from about 400k pre-COVID.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

I don't live there but I vaguely understand its more popular among the younger than the older.

If you like, its a ticking clock.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

euphronius posted:

Very low. But the popularity of independence isn't much higher.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Peggotty posted:

Very low. But the popularity of independence isn't much higher.

quote:

Dr. Ho Szu-yin received his PhD from the University of California, Santa Barbara. A past president of the Chinese Association of Political Science (Taipei), past director of the Institute of International Relations at NCCU, and recipient of several awards for teaching and research, he has been widely published in Chinese and English on subjects ranging from identity politics in Taiwan to methodology in Chinese studies. He served as Deputy Secretary-General of the National Security Council in Taipei from 2008-2010. Of particular relevance to his topic on October 14, Dr. Ho has long been a recognized expert in polling methods and has been an advisor to the Election Study Center at NCCU for the past 16 years.

I mean sure, yeah. You get what you pay for.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Delta-Wye posted:

bangladesh is going to be more industrialized than the rhineland, and we're all going to be better off for it

the ruhr of bengal shall rise again!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There is still a small chance that a couple black swan events happens before the impending """2027 showdown"""", something in the scaled of 911 or financial crisis that weaken US. If that happens, the next US president will want to deal (deal as in selling Taiwan for 3 trillion dollars or whatever). If that happens, the Taiwan crisis can be resolved without use of hard power. And you have to give former president Ma credit made great effort in pushing for a peaceful solution.

It's a small chance but it can happen.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

There is still a small chance that a couple black swan events happens before the impending """2027 showdown"""", something in the scaled of 911 or financial crisis that weaken US. If that happens, the next US president will want to deal (deal as in selling Taiwan for 3 trillion dollars or whatever). If that happens, the Taiwan crisis can be resolved without use of hard power. And you have to give former president Ma credit made great effort in pushing for a peaceful solution.

It's a small chance but it can happen.

Rumor has it 2025. I don't know why that year in particular but I'm sure some maths person who knows in detail can explain it. I haven't done any numbers on the topic.

All China has to do is nothing and they "win" by default. The USA desperately needs a war before the decline really kicks in. However a whole lot of material was just burned by some dumb idiot in some dumb backwater with replenishment measured in the "many years" length so here we are.

Will this be a managed decline or a rabies infected dog biting things on the way out? IDK.

Of course the whole Taiwan situation can be managed peacefully. But does a certain unnamed party of unspecified origin wish that? I think we all know the answer. So buckle up.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I think hopes for a peaceful outcome are overly optimistic.

Nationalism is a powerful force; far more so than economics.

What government in Taiwan can accept a deal with the mainland that won't be overthrown à la Ukrainain President Viktor Yanukovych?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

OhFunny posted:

I think hopes for a peaceful outcome are overly optimistic.

Nationalism is a powerful force; far more so than economics.

What government in Taiwan can accept a deal with the mainland that won't be overthrown à la Ukrainain President Viktor Yanukovych?

doesn't the same hold for the mainland in regard to a deal giving TW any kind of independence

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Listen, I said there is a small chance. But think about it, Terry Guo can win the election and change the cross strait schedule calculation by many years. Lets say he has a 20% or whatever chance to win the election, that is still way higher percentage than a peaceful treaty style resolution. This part the Taiwanese people can control themselves.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

euphronius posted:

from what I recall like 80% of the island just wants the status quo to continue indefinitely and for the unionists and independence groups to gently caress off lol

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
LOL
https://twitter.com/anirvanghosh/status/1647192714163769344?s=20

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lucky for white libs, there's always the third world libs who are dumber

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yea, what if the chinese pack up them roads, bridges and airports and take them back home?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its not even true. The chinese will bring managers in and some skilled workers but still use local labor and more importantly actually train them on how to build and manage projects like these. The US pays cronies to keep them happy, they skim most of thst money and then nothing gets done.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

yea, what if the chinese pack up them roads, bridges and airports and take them back home?

you joke, but the IMF is developing tech for this as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

It's going to happen