Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah, and the show as it was originally made was also a lot cheaper in different ways. They also made more of their money back through product placements and licensing (The Charmin Cafe, the cars, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Amazing Race doesn't do dumb twists (at least, not anymore, Keoghan was very happy to do away with their stunt casting and selfie challenges) and it's a more expensive show to produce.

I think them trying to do two seasons is probably what's hurting them. Give us one quality season a year and use that extra budget to make it great.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Star Trek shows cost CBS 5-10 million *per episode*, $20 million for an entire season of a reliable performer like Survivor isn't something that they have to fight tooth and nail for come on.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

mp5 posted:

That show also doesn't have to employ ~300 people halfway across the globe though, and you can syndicate the hell out of a sitcom with that many episodes

Just going off the quote from Malcolm, but the number seems to be the total budget CBS is paying for a season of Survivor, which would include the 300 staff.

But I can't imagine a major sitcom not getting into the 100+ people on staff. And because Survivor films internationally, they can likely cut a lot of corners with the staff! The minimum wage in Fuji is under $3/hr!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Reality is known to be super cheap to make. I don't think the network is demanding twists lmao

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Production is just trying way too hard to engineer the exact “dramatic” situations they want rather than letting them occur organically. In some ways, narratively speaking, you need Pagonging to be an option to give the breaking of tribal alliances any dramatic weight! Rewatching some early seasons, there’s an interesting tension in seeing when, where, and why a potential Pagonging breaks down. Those social dynamics at play are the magic sauce of what makes Survivor shine.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Honestly given some of the other stuff in that tweet thread I assume Malcolm is working through some other issues and was finding an outlet

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Seriously.

The twists and changes in the format are the producers trying to engineer outcomes different from their past seasons, because they weren't happy with them for one reason or another.

That's why we have Final 3s instead of Final 2, and why the FTC format changed sometime around Game Changers, and why the advantages get introduced. Players find ways to play around the advantages (vote splits in large tribes to get around the Hidden Immunity Idol) so the producers change the format to try and prevent that (small tribes, the idol nullifier, etc).

The CBS suits don't give a poo poo if there's an Idol Nullifier or not, they care about the ratings. The twists and advantages are there because production thinks the game will be stale without them, and thereby hurt the ratings.

Which I guess given they're in the same boring beaches in Fiji forever, maybe they're onto something there.

e:

https://twitter.com/truedorktimes/status/1646981030145052673/

mp5 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 15, 2023

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Star Trek shows cost CBS 5-10 million *per episode*, $20 million for an entire season of a reliable performer like Survivor isn't something that they have to fight tooth and nail for come on.

Yeah I agree, feels like a pretty bad take from Malcolm. The network looks at the cost for Survivor, looks at its numbers and green lights it immediately. The idea that 1) Jeff has to beg for it and 2) the executives care about the twists he rambles about is far fetched

In fact I envision the reverse of Malcolm’s scenario. “Gotta bring Survivor back again, fill that Wednesday slot. Give Probst whatever he’s asking about. Full creative control? Sure, whatever keeps him happy”

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 15, 2023

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Also I saw evel dick in the Malcolm replies saying that Jeff’s salary is $7m just for his host duties so if that figure and the $20m figure are both in the ballpark then lol

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Matt, half your tribe has spoken. It’s time for you to go.

Now let’s see Frannie go on an absolute 80s action movie roaring revenge.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

They need to film 10 seasons a year, keep Jeff in Fiji 24/7, it’s the downtime when he’s home huffing his own farts that he comes up with all these dumb twists.

Source: I’m friends with a former producer.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Your former producer got casting connections? There's at least 3 goons interested, we can form a failed tribe!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Imagining a tribe of nothing but cochrans

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

mp5 posted:

Sunscreen budget would end the show

But I guess you save a bit on the condoms

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mp5 posted:

Ok maybe then I’d stop turning on the show.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Full tribe medevaced in the first 5 minutes when the sun hits flesh for the first time in decades

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Studio posted:

Your former producer got casting connections? There's at least 3 goons interested, we can form a failed tribe!

Oh man, I've never been to a goon meetup!

I hope we can win a camping supplies challenge...

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Survivor: Do You Have Stairs In Your House?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

mp5 posted:

There are a LOT of survivor nerds being cast these days. I feel like Homer at college when I'm watching season 44

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

All the dorks on 44. One of them has got to have an account!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The dorks are all too young 😔

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

At best they're on reddit

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I believe Owen was a regular poster on /r/survivor before he was cast for last season

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's gotta be one of the worst places to post about Survivor.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

That's gotta be one of the worst places to post about Survivor.

I unsubscribe between seasons. The lack of new content sends the regular posters there crazy. Even during seasons, a lot of the content is pretty inane. The other day, the highest rated post was someone doing fancasting for an US - Australian All Stars season.

Normally I'd say that would never happen, but then again Top Chef is doing an all stars season currently featuring players from Top Chef franchises across the globe. But, the problem is that they are treating it like an All Stars season in that the editors are assuming we've already seen their original season, are familiar with their back story, and are familiar with their cooking style. Except, I don't think we have any legal way to watch most if not any of these other franchises. Just like Australian Survivor.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nihonniboku posted:

I unsubscribe between seasons. The lack of new content sends the regular posters there crazy. Even during seasons, a lot of the content is pretty inane. The other day, the highest rated post was someone doing fancasting for an US - Australian All Stars season.

I think there is a pretty good chance of this happening. But Australian Survivor would be more likely to be the one that did it. They've already gotten Russell & Sandra on their casts, so it's not out of reach for them to get US players.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Nihonniboku posted:

I believe Owen was a regular poster on /r/survivor before he was cast for last season

That tracks (in the most positive way possible)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The last Challenge season with a lot of new people was kind of like a mini survivor international all stars. Kind of. There were 3 countries of Survivors represented including the US.

It is funny that Michelle gets a way better edit and it's much easier to understand how she won Survivor from her two Challenge seasons.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rick posted:

The last Challenge season with a lot of new people was kind of like a mini survivor international all stars. Kind of. There were 3 countries of Survivors represented including the US.

It is funny that Michelle gets a way better edit and it's much easier to understand how she won Survivor from her two Challenge seasons.

I haven't watched The Challenge in many years, not since they canceled Road Rules and they had to cast randos to fill out the cast. Long before they started casting other reality stars. Is it still about everyone getting super drunk and yelling at each other all night? Or has it shifted entirely to the challenges?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nihonniboku posted:

I haven't watched The Challenge in many years, not since they canceled Road Rules and they had to cast randos to fill out the cast. Long before they started casting other reality stars. Is it still about everyone getting super drunk and yelling at each other all night? Or has it shifted entirely to the challenges?

It honestly depends on the season. The previous one (the one I'm watching now, since they are in the process of kicking a new season off right now) was very light on the house drama and this is how it typically goes now, especially since in the last few years they started to take verbal abuse a lot more seriously, but every once in a while an old drunk yell fight season happens.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I heard it theorized in an interview that the best chance of an international allstars season might be not on the “home turf” of any of the existing franchises but as a standalone season. I think this was the Aus Survivor showrunner’s take, but it may have been the SA Survivor host… listened to podcasts with them both and I forget which said it, but either way it had a little bit of authority

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/QtKarishma/status/1648150330859741184

this was also her survivor strat

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Fast Luck posted:

I heard it theorized in an interview that the best chance of an international allstars season might be not on the “home turf” of any of the existing franchises but as a standalone season. I think this was the Aus Survivor showrunner’s take, but it may have been the SA Survivor host… listened to podcasts with them both and I forget which said it, but either way it had a little bit of authority

I mean, given the current state of US Survivor, I’d take this as a win.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Australian Survivor brings in some of the new era players who then wither into skeletons once they realize they have to make it to like Day 50.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrMm7JWvHpj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

:(

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Rip he was a good character

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
gently caress cancer.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Aw man RIP to the ball-savviest survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

He practiced the hell out of that ball challenge in SJDS as I remember