Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

I really had no idea a single person thought this system was good. If I tried this strategy, I might get close to where I wanted to shoot and then the slightest motion in like my shoulder would send the arrow way to the side.

Stop playing BotW on a rollercoaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Volte posted:

Even with flipping the maze it took me like 20 tries because there's so much lag between the motion of the controller and the movement of the platform, and also the camera angle makes it very difficult to orient it in all three axes. The motion aiming was good but the gimmick motion puzzle stuff was bad.
This is really cool because I had the exact opposite experience on my first playthrough- I had no problems with the motion puzzles but I hated the motion aiming and turned that off immediately. Then I played the Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion and forced myself to use motion controls and I'm cool with BotW's motion aiming now. I still prefer non-motion if I'm full potato mode on a couch, but I can live with it.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Yeah, the motion control puzzles are mostly fine, the camera on the maze is worse than the controls themselves.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was sold on gyro aim back in 2011 when it was an option in Ocarina of Time 3D.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I was sold on Gyro in 2006 when Wario Ware. Twisted released

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I can only do gyro aim in games like Skyward Sword where my hands need to be up and ready at all times using joycons or Wiimote style controls. Anything where I'm holding a more standard controller doesn't work. Splatoon made me realize how fidgety I am when I'm sitting and for stuff where its only used for aiming I don't switch effectively to needing to care about where my hands are.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Skyward Sword's aiming is the worst, even without having to constantly re-center. It incentivizes holding out your arm, of course there's going to be shaking.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

YggiDee posted:

I was sold on gyro aim back in 2011 when it was an option in Ocarina of Time 3D.

lol same. I was really bad at N64 aiming anyway because I was a dumb kid and my controller was always in a state of being super busted, but being able to just tear through the Forest Temple (especially the boss fight with P. Ganon) is when I realized gyro was the future

I really hated TP's pointer aiming and the HD remake on WiiU was 100x better for going to just gyro-assisted

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The only time I've ever clicked with motion controls was with the Wii's Metroid game- being able to move with the thumbstick and then point to aim and shoot with the wiimote was perfect for me. Other ones I simply cannot 'get'.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I'm fairly okay with motion controls on most games that were actually designed around them, but the first time they truly clicked with me was Mario Kart Wii - I sucked rear end at most Mario Kart games up until then, but for some reason being able to turn a Wiimote sideways and steer it like a steering wheel made me nigh-on invincible among my friends and peers, to the point where I was in the top ten global players for a few tracks for a few weeks after it released

Somehow, I haven't been able to replicate the same success on the Switch :sigh:

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

WarpDogs posted:

lol same. I was really bad at N64 aiming anyway because I was a dumb kid and my controller was always in a state of being super busted, but being able to just tear through the Forest Temple (especially the boss fight with P. Ganon) is when I realized gyro was the future

I really hated TP's pointer aiming and the HD remake on WiiU was 100x better for going to just gyro-assisted

I grew up in a no-console household (PC games were OK for some reason) but did get an N64 when I was like fifteen (2007) because my brother volunteered at a charity thrift store and they let him take it. For the longest time N64 was the only console I was any good at shooters with because you didn't have to manage both the camera and movement, as they were the same stick. I was decent at goldeneye but sucked at Halo/COD when I went to a friend's house.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I guess we are not getting Twilight Princess HD for the Switch this year smh

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

a.lo posted:

Definitely not this year, but with TotK out in a month we're at least 4-5 years out from the next new Zelda, so one can hope TP and WW will be ported in the next few years :downs:

They'll cost $60 apiece with minimal QOL improvements and I'll still buy both lmao

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

a.lo posted:

there's a house in totk that you can go inside that has a switch in it and if you interact with it you can play twilight princess hd

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gyro aiming is great and normal motion controls are whatever. Hating motion doesn't mean you have to hate gyro also. It's so nice.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

kidcoelacanth posted:

there's a house in totk that you can go inside that has a switch in it and if you interact with it you can play twilight princess hd

That’s actually why the game was delayed

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm sure this observation has been made a bunch of times already, but my heart still skipped a beat when I saw this pop up in SS:

hey look it's the titular tear of the kingdom. Even the flavor text can be read in a new light

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Skyward Sword was really pulling hard from Buddhism and Japanese folklore and it shows.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Like most people I never played Skyward Sword but an impression I’m getting from people drawing connections between it and what we’ve seen of TOTK so far is that a lot of what’s in TOTK is the team revisiting the ideas they liked from Skyward.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The gyro aiming in BOTW is definitely very good. Traysi's recommendation: ★★★★★

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

Like most people I never played Skyward Sword but an impression I’m getting from people drawing connections between it and what we’ve seen of TOTK so far is that a lot of what’s in TOTK is the team revisiting the ideas they liked from Skyward.

They made SS too soon. The hardware wasn't ready for sky to ground transitions like they needed, basically turning the sky into a janky hub to load into designated points in the dungeon maps. Even in the sky the big sky temple area had to be loaded into as well. I'm sure they had a ton of ideas for SS they just couldn't do.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

hatty posted:

I was sold on Gyro in 2006 when Wario Ware. Twisted released

I had a friend who tried to play this using the Game Boy Player on her Gamecube.

:shepface:

It went about as well as you would think!

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

An idea I've seen bounced is that "dungeons" might be extended sequences where a companion tags along, kinda like the 2 later dungeons in wind waker, so you get all your abilities at the start but still have bespoke puzzles in dungeons using new tools.

that seems pretty much confirmed since all the scenes with tulin in the trailer are taking place in the same whirlwind zone and culminate in that storm leviathan bursting out and it definitely screams unique boss

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Khanstant posted:

I think realizing Marin and everyone else was gone might've been the first time I teared up at a game. In my heart Marin is the one for Link, and even though I know there are infinite Links, ai still have him just roll past all the Zelda's and rutos and malons of the worlds. Link's soulmate is just a dream, probably why Ganon can never stay sealed. Link is missing the middle of the triforce because the fish woke up.

I know you took a bit of flack for this post, but 100% agree.

As a massive fan of the games, I must say...😬Zelda herself wasnt a compelling character until OoT, and even since then she's been fairly one-note up until BotW. She's very "driven by destiny" and doesn't get to make her own decisions. Even in stories where she's given a bit more like WW, she still generally ends up as a damsel in distress. It always feels like, she NEEDS to be around Link, as it's her destiny.

One of the many reasons LA is my favourite Zelda of all time, is how with so many limitation, they still made it feel like Marin at least had a mind and a life of her own. I know much more about what Marin wants out of life than I did about Zelda, at least up until that point. She helps out her dad. Loves to sing and entertain the townsfolk. Dreams of seeing the bigger world outside the island. Travels to the Animal Village and makes them all feel good. And actually WANTS to hang out with Link and help out. Zelda's all melancholy, "I will do what I must to save the world", whereas Marin's all "the walrus is asleep and you can't get past? Well then let's go wake him up!". She actually has agency, which is annoyingly rare in characters like her. I feel like Zelda is Links coworker, whereas Marin feels like a real beginning to a happy romantic relationship.

Which is why the ending hits so hard 🥲🥲🥲

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

WarpDogs posted:

I'm sure this observation has been made a bunch of times already, but my heart still skipped a beat when I saw this pop up in SS:

hey look it's the titular tear of the kingdom. Even the flavor text can be read in a new light

Im starting to think we're getting a lot of pre ss stuff if that zonai zelda is hylia like many people believe, and we've seen demise in the trailer (dif from the front dorf shot) i wonder if its gonna turn out zonai is the pre ss culture, when you consider their longer ears too and i wonder if the goat character with clear bunny ears is og link the same way hylia and demise are the starting points.

Would make even more sense with the fusing of the arm too and sky island cloud barrier stuff. Only thing that makes me wonder is dorf mummified body in first trailer looking zonai like even tho hes got clear tp damage so hmmm.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm very curious about how the narrative of TotK will work. BotW was obviously very simple - kill Ganon, and maybe also get the Divine Beasts. There wasn't really any chronological series of events though, aside from "Link revives and goes to kill Ganon."

But it seems like this game will have more going on. I'm particularly curious about what leads to stuff like that one battle where Link is on a horse and other Hylians are fighting.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you’re playing BOTW in hand held mode and come upon a shrine with motion controls, pop the joycons off and put the kickstand up. Makes it 1,000 times easier. The right joycon controls it.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I'm very curious about how the narrative of TotK will work. BotW was obviously very simple - kill Ganon, and maybe also get the Divine Beasts. There wasn't really any chronological series of events though, aside from "Link revives and goes to kill Ganon."

But it seems like this game will have more going on. I'm particularly curious about what leads to stuff like that one battle where Link is on a horse and other Hylians are fighting.

It's probably the same; kill Ganondorf, and also maybe find the Tears. The question is if Ganondorf is going to be gated behind anything, and if so how much.

I could see them letting you run straight to G immediately off the initial sky island again, as people liked being able to do that in BoTW. On the other hand, this isn't a misidentified Phantom Ganon this time, it's the real deal, so fixing the Master Sword might be mandatory at least.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Icedude posted:

It's probably the same; kill Ganondorf, and also maybe find the Tears. The question is if Ganondorf is going to be gated behind anything, and if so how much.

I could see them letting you run straight to G immediately off the initial sky island again, as people liked being able to do that in BoTW. On the other hand, this isn't a misidentified Phantom Ganon this time, it's the real deal, so fixing the Master Sword might be mandatory at least.

I’ll be surprised if, at the very least, we don’t have to go find/rescue? Zelda wherever/whenever she is before we can go shove the Master Sword through Ganondorf’s forehead again. The other guy from the trailer probably gets main quest screen time too.

One thing I’m looking forward to for sure is watching speedrunners figure out how to optimize the starting sky islands area down to a science.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I can't remember if this has been posted, but if you're in the UK, Curry's are doing 25% off TotK pre-orders with ZELDA25 as the code. Brings it to £45 and free release day delivery (with any luck)!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WarpDogs posted:

That’s crazy. Wait until you get to the part where you have to collect the actual goddess’s tears!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I kinda wonder if Daruk/Revali/Urbosa/Mipha will show up at all even if it's just force ghosts

Not a big deal if they don't all things considered but with how beloved they are kinda surprised if they don't get at least some mention. Also in the trailer when link is moon jumping between platforms you can see a gigantic hole in the ground with Malice oozing out, wonder if you can still rush this games final boss and that's the target to aim for.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I kinda wonder if Daruk/Revali/Urbosa/Mipha will show up at all even if it's just force ghosts

Not a big deal if they don't all things considered but with how beloved they are kinda surprised if they don't get at least some mention. Also in the trailer when link is moon jumping between platforms you can see a gigantic hole in the ground with Malice oozing out, wonder if you can still rush this games final boss and that's the target to aim for.

Its unlikely. They might get a mention or minor visual shoutout but we know at least Revali's VA didn't get asked back for TotK and there's no bad blood or scandals there.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They should leave the Champions alone, looks like their successors are the focus.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Just Andi Now posted:

Skyward Sword was really pulling hard from Buddhism and Japanese folklore and it shows.

Was it Skyward Sword or Wind Waker that had the reference to the spider's thread being used to escape the underworld? I remember a room filled with skeletons or something and the only way out was up.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Shinjobi posted:

Was it Skyward Sword or Wind Waker that had the reference to the spider's thread being used to escape the underworld? I remember a room filled with skeletons or something and the only way out was up.

Skyward Sword, yeah. The whip temple with the big gold statue in the middle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That temple was frustrating as hell.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shinjobi posted:

That’s the Ancient Cistern on Skyward Sword and it was awesome. Fantastic dungeon with an amazing boss fight. That game had some really great dungeons and memorable boss fights. Overall the game had issues but I still enjoyed playing it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I warmed up on SS after playing through the HD version with its QoL additions and a chiller Fi that didn’t interrupt as much. I like it better than TP now I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

hatty posted:

I warmed up on SS after playing through the HD version with its QoL additions and a chiller Fi that didn’t interrupt as much. I like it better than TP now I think

Interesting. I'm going to need a re-re-release of TP to test this out. Also WW