Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

last time i checked it was like 0.1% but yeah lol

I like how banks don't even explain why keeping your money in a savings account is good or worthwhile anymore. gently caress you, where else are you gonna put it, that's why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

gently caress you, where else are you gonna put it, that's why

you got it

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Have a WSJ story about a paper I linked the week after the SVB collapse.
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1648300259334823936?t=kX7Hs5s1pFkJZf-Q4_GEGQ&s=19

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
It's all interconnected right? QE and near zero interest rates means safe instruments like treasuries get next to no yield while high-risk investments go gangbusters, banks still need to invest in safe things because of risk profiles, it doesn't matter because interest rates are low everywhere.... then ending QE and raising rates kills the banks. So they resume QE....

Fundamentally done to maintain the social order as it was prior to the collapse of financial capitalism in 2008.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I'm so glad our economy is run by smart people

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

cool av posted:

lol. What's it like, JP Morgan? What's it like to see and predict the obvious doom and be constantly cucked by ALL TIME HIGHS? JOIN US

lol I just had a mental image of like an 1800s banker guy waking up (or like cloned or whatever) and finding CSPAM and getting crack pinged in 5 minuts and doom posting in the econ thread

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Xaris posted:

good. the wedding industrial complex is insane and should be destroyed. i've been with my partner for like 13 years and we're defacto married except not actually; i have zero desire or interest in a "trad" wedding that just completely wipes out our entire bank account. i'd rather just put the money towards a nice vacation instead.

my ideal wedding is getting out on a public beach with friends+family+dogs, setup some outdoor pagotas and tables with a bunch of booze bought en bulk from costco, and buy like $500 worth of thai/indian food or those make-your-own-taco platters from a local place, and just let people get drunk on a beach while playing with dogs.

oh no i just found my fiancee's SA account

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1648306667086389248?s=20

gonna need to start believing (for time off)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ikanreed posted:

I'm so glad our economy is run by smart people

the free market is most efficient when running yourself into the ground and get bailouts

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

lol, pretty sure the court knows that reversing this would open pandora’s box on capital. not happening.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

mycomancy posted:

I mean, how else would you make flavored liquors at scale?

no, not flavored liquours. All alcohol.

Tequilla, Brandy, whisky, burbon, all the mixer poo poo

it's all made the same way: putting artificial flavoring into ethanol. There's specific chemical compounds that they've extracted that produce the taste of aging in wooden casks, so those get added, etc.

e: not all alchohol in the sense of every litre produced, all alcohol in the sense that every category has at least some brands that are just flavored vodka, even if they say 'burbon' on the label.

Harik has issued a correction as of 14:10 on Apr 18, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Supreme Court removing religious protections would be 🌶

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Harik posted:

no, not flavored liquours. All alcohol.

Tequilla, Brandy, whisky, burbon, all the mixer poo poo

it's all made the same way: putting artificial flavoring into ethanol. There's specific chemical compounds that they've extracted that produce the taste of aging in wooden casks, so those get added, etc.

e: not all alchohol in the sense of every litre produced, all alcohol in the sense that every category has at least some brands that are just flavored vodka, even if they say 'burbon' on the label.

It's kinda hosed that the shiners deliver an overall better product, for want of a column still.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

These loving freaks think we're still riding Brandon's $1400 from 3 years ago.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1648310455394238464

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

even if there somehow was a bit left over WHY THE gently caress DO PEOPLE HAVE TO SPEND IT

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

even if there somehow was a bit left over WHY THE gently caress DO PEOPLE HAVE TO SPEND IT

because that money rightfully belongs to capital, we're just allowed to have it for long enough to decide which of our masters will get it.

Apr 7, 2003

They're convinced there's still money out there in the little peoples' hands that they haven't gotten yet and by god, they're going to get it by any means necessary.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SKULL.GIF posted:

These loving freaks think we're still riding Brandon's $1400 from 3 years ago.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1648310455394238464

How loving weak does the economy have to be that $1400 from 3 years ago is a critical pillar preventing the whole house of cards from collapsing

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it isnt its just because they want to destroy any notion that they will ever do that again of course those savings disappeared ages ago $1400 is literally nothing

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I know, I'm just incredibly sick of "the economy is strong" followed immediately by "but people need to stretch $1400 over three years to not die"

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I know, I'm just incredibly sick of "the economy is strong" followed immediately by "but people need to stretch $1400 over three years to not die"

its def very annoying and terrible but those parasites are paid tons of money to spout this garbage out till the very end unfortunately all we can do is combat their bullshit

unless the american people decide to start doing organized mass militant protesting and general strikes then maybe we can get somewhere

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It is thr PPP money

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joe Biden has failed once again

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Mr Hootington posted:

It is thr PPP money

yeah it’s not the poor’s savings they’re talking about

they know that sweet PPP money is still lining someone’s pocket, and it’s not theirs, and that offends them

like on a deep, personal level they—each individually—feel slighted that someone, anyone has excess* savings.

only they should have excess!

*excess is all money not owned by them.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

captainbananas posted:

Unemployment Insurance has a typically absurd funding scheme. The Feds provide a trench of money in block grants to States that is "raised" by the tax on employers, along with additional funding for specific oversight programs (always about clawing back "improper" overpayments, never about correcting underpayments) mandated by laws like the Improper Payment Recovery Act (or some poo poo like that) which started under Carter but continue to be built on like a poo poo tower under a park toilet.

States are then left to their own devices for a whole bunch of poo poo. Most of them make their programs worse. Minnesota might be the exception proving that rule.

What's so absurd about FUTA?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if people start saving too much money that means that the D slur is gaining power and the real fun begins

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

because that money rightfully belongs to capital, we're just allowed to have it for long enough to decide which of our masters will get it.

quote:

liquidate labor, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate. Purge the rottenness out of the system. High costs of living and high living will come down. ... enterprising people will pick up the wrecks from less competent people.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They're convinced there's still money out there in the little peoples' hands that they haven't gotten yet and by god, they're going to get it by any means necessary.

Hrm... I wonder how much excess savings the top 50% have... hrm... better not look into that at all...

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Wow, President Andrew Mellon!

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

sullat posted:

What's so absurd about FUTA?

Fiscal Federalism [tm] is always a race to the bottom. Just run it all at the federal level like social security and stop letting lovely people run their petty fiefdoms; it's part of the same drat law anyhow.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

more contradictions incoming

https://twitter.com/firstsquawk/status/1648327984976130048

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Mr Hootington posted:

It is thr PPP money

It's also the huge value gains on assets, crypto, and real estate that some people were able to convert to liquid savings.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

:gas:

https://twitter.com/gazpromen/status/1648330663030931456

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Nothus posted:

It's also the huge value gains on assets, crypto, and real estate that some people were able to convert to liquid savings.

Yep. The majority of excess savings is in the top 40% of Americans. This is why there is an entrenched belief that companies and the economy can pivot to only supporting that cohort and can survive.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
getting trump bux and skipping house payments for 12 months allowed me to pull forward on financial stability that probably would of taken 3-4x as long

Apr 7, 2003

Koirhor posted:

getting trump bux and skipping house payments for 12 months allowed me to pull forward on financial stability that probably would of taken 3-4x as long

I know people who used the Berniebucks to get a little financial stability for the first time in their lives, put together a resume, and get out of lovely low-paying service jobs and into careers for the first time in their lives. That's why the people in charge will never permit anything like that to happen ever again.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Koirhor posted:

it's very funny that, entirely because of emergency covid measures, donald trump gave me more as president than any other president ever has lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it's very funny that, entirely because of emergency covid measures, donald trump gave me more as president than any other president ever has lol

poo poo, not only did President Trump give money to the people, the motherfucker legalized weed through the 2018 farm bill.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

White text on Orange to yellow gradient should also be an act of war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

poo poo, not only did President Trump give money to the people, the motherfucker legalized weed through the 2018 farm bill.

and he gave us one of the funniest photographs of all time literally every single time someone took a picture of him during those 4 years