Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Is there a reason you're not using Fan Control?

I always forget about this, I've bought argus monitor, twice. That said, I do appreciate argus' smart monitor, I've already replaced one drive based on errors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Is there a reason you're not using Fan Control?

Isn’t it incompatible (or not fully compatible) with Gigabyte mobos?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Sure didn't work with mine. I think it was able to properly control 3 of 8 fan headers.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

I always forget about this, I've bought argus monitor, twice. That said, I do appreciate argus' smart monitor, I've already replaced one drive based on errors
Someone in the PC building thread told me about it, and I absolutely intend to use it when I get my new workstation.

I thought for a long time that speedfan was the only thing like it, and that stopped working for new chips a long while ago.

Rinkles posted:

Isn’t it incompatible (or not fully compatible) with Gigabyte mobos?
Why would it be? Most of it happens via the SuperIO chip with communication over a SPI or LPC link to the temperature and monitoring controller that's probably made by ITE based on a design that's likely +15 years old with only minor variations.

The library it depends on get pretty constant updates, including one for GigaByte - so if it wasn't working, maybe it is now.

power crystals posted:

Sure didn't work with mine. I think it was able to properly control 3 of 8 fan headers.
Best suggestion I have is to keep an eye on the library mentioned above, especially if you can use HWInfo64 or AIDA64 to tell you the specific ITE chip being used.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 18, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

power crystals posted:

Did you try argus monitor? Just out of interest

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Why would it be? Most of it happens via the SuperIO chip with communication over a SPI or LPC link to the temperature and monitoring controller that's probably made by ITE based on a design that's likely +15 years old with only minor variations.

The library it depends on get pretty constant updates, including one for GigaByte - so if it wasn't working, maybe it is now.

I just checked after posting that and still no. There's an open issue on LibreHardwareMonitor about this. Apparently it works on OpenHardwareMonitor, but I have no idea what made those two diverge or how hard it'd be to port the one's fix to the other.

HalloKitty posted:

Did you try argus monitor? Just out of interest

I'd never even heard of that until this post, so no.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

power crystals posted:

I just checked after posting that and still no. There's an open issue on LibreHardwareMonitor about this. Apparently it works on OpenHardwareMonitor, but I have no idea what made those two diverge or how hard it'd be to port the one's fix to the other.
If it works on one, then it might be possible to port the code over. All of the source code is supposed to be available under open licenses, afterall.

There doesn't really have to be a dramatic reason for the fork, sometimes they just happen because development on one stalls and nobody thought about having multiple people with commit access to the repo.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

If it works on one, then it might be possible to port the code over. All of the source code is supposed to be available under open licenses, afterall.

There doesn't really have to be a dramatic reason for the fork, sometimes they just happen because development on one stalls and nobody thought about having multiple people with commit access to the repo.

Well apparently the issue I was referencing was specific to an X370 board, OHW doesn't support my board at all :v:

This probably isn't terribly hard to fix but I can't make heads or tails of how LHW supports boards with two super-IO chips on them at a glance (mine has an IT8689E with 5 fans and an IT8795E with 3 more ... and actually wait where are the two CPU fans? I guess that's a different problem) and don't really want to put that much effort into this given that using the motherboard's own fan control is working just fine for me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

power crystals posted:

Well apparently the issue I was referencing was specific to an X370 board, OHW doesn't support my board at all :v:

This probably isn't terribly hard to fix but I can't make heads or tails of how LHW supports boards with two super-IO chips on them at a glance (mine has an IT8689E with 5 fans and an IT8795E with 3 more ... and actually wait where are the two CPU fans? I guess that's a different problem) and don't really want to put that much effort into this given that using the motherboard's own fan control is working just fine for me.
Fair enough, I know all too well what it's like to not have enough cycles to dedicate to it.
I intended to do more work on the opensource project I got involved with, but haven't managed to do as much as I wanted for health reasons.

If you get the cycles for it later, one way to go about it might be to try and find out which commit made it work on OpenHardwareMonitor, then file an issue on LibreHardwareMonitor, where you mention the chips involved that it work elsewhere as well as link to the commit in question.
It's not guaranteed to work by any means, but there's a pretty big difference in the amount of work involved to figure out the registers of a new ITE chip, as opposed to simply copying the values from the other project - so there's a chance.

Ultimately, it's also likely it'll benefit others, not just yourself - since the chips tend to get reused.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
FWIW, use System Information Viewer FROM Gigabyte. You can adjust your BIOS fan curves from Windows with that program. Can save the profiles to an xml and re-apply them if you do a BIOS upgrade.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Prescription Combs posted:

FWIW, use System Information Viewer FROM Gigabyte. You can adjust your BIOS fan curves from Windows with that program. Can save the profiles to an xml and re-apply them if you do a BIOS upgrade.

System Information Viewer doesn't have AM5 support, at least it refused to install on my x670 aorus elite.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Fair enough, I know all too well what it's like to not have enough cycles to dedicate to it.
I intended to do more work on the opensource project I got involved with, but haven't managed to do as much as I wanted for health reasons.

If you get the cycles for it later, one way to go about it might be to try and find out which commit made it work on OpenHardwareMonitor, then file an issue on LibreHardwareMonitor, where you mention the chips involved that it work elsewhere as well as link to the commit in question.
It's not guaranteed to work by any means, but there's a pretty big difference in the amount of work involved to figure out the registers of a new ITE chip, as opposed to simply copying the values from the other project - so there's a chance.

Ultimately, it's also likely it'll benefit others, not just yourself - since the chips tend to get reused.

See above, OHW doesn't work for this specific board. I did poke through it briefly and there seems to be three problems:
1: My board is an X570S AORUS MASTER which LHW doesn't know about (only the non-S one). That's trivial to fix.
2: System fan 3 is missing. That's weirder. HWINFO doesn't seem to see it either, so I'm not sure which superIO chip should have it.
3: System fans 7 and 8 are on what HWINFO calls "GIGABYTE EC", which is missing entirely in LHW and I have no idea how LHW would define that as part of my board, or even really what that is. "Embedded Controller" or something like that I guess?

Prescription Combs posted:

I did try this, but it first wanted "Gigabyte App Center" or something like that, and after like 500MB of god knows what it had some other issue that caused me to uninstall it immediately, I forget what. I think it was doing something wrong and not trivially correctable to my pump's fan curve.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Ardryn posted:

System Information Viewer doesn't have AM5 support, at least it refused to install on my x670 aorus elite.

It most definitely does. Adjusted the fan curves on my B650 board. :shrug:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

you will catch me dead before you'll ever catch me installing another motherboard software package. never again after armory crate

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

power crystals posted:

See above, OHW doesn't work for this specific board. I did poke through it briefly and there seems to be three problems:
1: My board is an X570S AORUS MASTER which LHW doesn't know about (only the non-S one). That's trivial to fix.
2: System fan 3 is missing. That's weirder. HWINFO doesn't seem to see it either, so I'm not sure which superIO chip should have it.
3: System fans 7 and 8 are on what HWINFO calls "GIGABYTE EC", which is missing entirely in LHW and I have no idea how LHW would define that as part of my board, or even really what that is. "Embedded Controller" or something like that I guess?

I did try this, but it first wanted "Gigabyte App Center" or something like that, and after like 500MB of god knows what it had some other issue that caused me to uninstall it immediately, I forget what. I think it was doing something wrong and not trivially correctable to my pump's fan curve.
Ah, I misunderstood - I thought you said it was working in OHW and not working in LHW. I apologize.

I have to agree with Dr. Video Games 0031 again, the "value-add" software that motherboard vendors are offering are ap-loving-palling - the screenshots I saw of the Gigabyte B65E Aorus Master, which included some loving third-party antivirus software, played a bit part in me not getting that motherboard (also the fact that it's apparently way more expensive than a X670E board that has at l east the same number of daughterboard slots).

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Well I finally got my 7950x3d. I could have had it earlier but my local store kept lying about when they'd have it in stock, so I put in an order on Amazon before newegg got restocked and just left it at that. Good news is I can add the asus proart b650-creator to the list of motherboards with fully functional ECC implementations including working error reporting. Bad news is even with a better IMC that can boot 4x32GB at 4800mhz it doesn't seem to be completely stable above 4200. A short memtest run didn't catch the errors, and it seems correlated with heavy CPU usage, but I can see corrected errors down as low as 4400mhz and across at least three of my DIMMs, making it unlikely to be bad memory. Maybe boosting the voltage to the IMC would help but I don't want to deal with that right now.

Without ECC I might never have noticed since I ran a quick memtest and was running for several hours apparently stable at 4800mhz before the first uncorrected error crashed the system and I started digging around. I've also somehow gotten lucky and not run into any of the Asus weirdness this generation.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I plan on buying at least 1 stick of DIMM-wide ECC memory, even if I can't run it at the 6000MT/s that's the sweet-spot for Zen4 - just so I have something to validate the rest of the hardware against.

Also, minor nit, but DDR-6000 isn't 6000 MHz - it's 3000MHz dual-channeled, ie.: 6 billion transfers a second per channel, where each chunk of data can be variable between 1 and 64 bits.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 19, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Considering moving from a 5900X to a 7800X3D to pair with a 3080 10G as a retailer shipped my motherboard to the wrong distributor and now don't know where it is.

Have been without a PC for a month and now I have to wait god knows how long for ASUS to actually get it and then fix it, so don't know I have the patience to wait another 2-3 months.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 7800x3d / gigabye aorus elite ax x670 upgrade (if I can convince my bro to buy my 12700k ddr4 setup). What's the sweet spot for ram on these? Leaning towards some 2x16 corsair ddr5 6000 c36, but not sure if I'd see the difference spending more for something a bit faster.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 7800x3d / gigabye aorus elite ax x670 upgrade (if I can convince my bro to buy my 12700k ddr4 setup). What's the sweet spot for ram on these? Leaning towards some 2x16 corsair ddr5 6000 c36, but not sure if I'd see the difference spending more for something a bit faster.

6000 is the sweet spot, and I personally went with:
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($159.99 @ Corsair)
though I admit I just went for the fastest CL RAM that wasn't hideously expensive. Anything around CL36 will probably do you fine like:
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ardryn posted:

6000 is the sweet spot, and I personally went with:
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($159.99 @ Corsair)
though I admit I just went for the fastest CL RAM that wasn't hideously expensive. Anything around CL36 will probably do you fine like:
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)

Awesome, thanks. That Corsair CL30 kit was what I was looking to get, but it's $60 more expensive at Amazon.

e: oof, two weeks shipping time buying direct from corsair though

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just grab the G.Skill Flare X5 CL32 kit for $120: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cnbTwP/gskill-flare-x5-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr5-6000-cl32-memory-f5-6000j3238f16gx2-fx5

The CL36 stuff uses Samsung memory while the CL32/30 stuff all use the same hynix m-die memory. The CL30 kits might be better tuned, but the difference in practice is going to be very small.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just grab the G.Skill Flare X5 CL32 kit for $120: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cnbTwP/gskill-flare-x5-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr5-6000-cl32-memory-f5-6000j3238f16gx2-fx5

The CL36 stuff uses Samsung memory while the CL32/30 stuff all use the same hynix m-die memory. The CL30 kits might be better tuned, but the difference in practice is going to be very small.

Whoops, I knew it was one of the flare kits but morning brain betrayed me.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

Awesome, thanks. That Corsair CL30 kit was what I was looking to get, but it's $60 more expensive at Amazon.

It shouldn't actually take that long. I just bought RAM from Corsair two weeks ago and it took four days to arrive from when they shipped.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

As funkymonks said, I ordered on the 26th and got it the 31st and that's despite coming from Taiwan.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

funkymonks posted:

It shouldn't actually take that long. I just bought RAM from Corsair two weeks ago and it took four days to arrive from when they shipped.

Ardryn posted:

As funkymonks said, I ordered on the 26th and got it the 31st and that's despite coming from Taiwan.

Right on, won't have time to get things installed until next Monday or Tuesday at the earliest anyway.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

I have a Kaby Lake machine that I'm considering upgrading now. I haven't built an AMD machine since my old Opteron 165. I'm considering the 7800X3D or i5-13600K.

Has AM5 worked out some of its teething problems with all the AGESA updates? I also generally run with ECC RAM.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Are you a big player of CPU-intensive sim games like Stellaris, Factorio, maybe FS2020, etc? If not, just buy the 13600k and pocket the savings for a more impactful upgrade down the road. If you DO play those type of games and their ultra late game performance matters a lot to you, the 7800X3D is going to give an incredibly huge performance difference.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

phongn posted:

I have a Kaby Lake machine that I'm considering upgrading now. I haven't built an AMD machine since my old Opteron 165. I'm considering the 7800X3D or i5-13600K.

Has AM5 worked out some of its teething problems with all the AGESA updates? I also generally run with ECC RAM.

If you want ecc ram, amd is your only real consumer level option. Afaik, no Intel desktop cup supports it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kibner posted:

If you want ecc ram, amd is your only real consumer level option. Afaik, no Intel desktop cup supports it.

They absolutely do, the whole lineup.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/230493/intel-core-i513600k-processor-24m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz/specifications.html

Hosting providers are selling i7s and i9s with ECC right now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh wow! Didn't realize they had changed that!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

According to Intel's own pages, ECC support is disabled on the consumer DIY chipsets and only activated on the W680, which is of course the exact same silicon as the others but way more expensive in retail. Cheapest board I can find at retail is the ASUS WX W680-ACE for $330.

So yeah, the CPUs technically do support it, but youll need specific boards.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

and i5-12500 or i5-13500 CPUs and above support it, when it was the opposite in prior generations

also, the consumer socket Xeons are gone in case you're looking for those

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

I was looking at the Pro WS W680-ACE in case I went Intel. I also know that the 1S Xeon-E3 line is basically dead, replaced with a good chunk of the normal Core line officially supporting ECC now. The workstation tax is annoying, but doable (I am currently running a Supermicro C236 motherboard and a Xeon E3v6).

I don't really play games that get a lot of boost from large caches. The 7800X3D does run consistently well and relatively low powered compared to the 13600K (nevermind the 13700(K)), which interested me.

I've been reading about relatively slow boot times on AM5, and immature firmware slowly being ironed out, as well as the occasional report of USB and fTPM problems. Conversely, my Intel machine (and the Q9550 that predated it) has been pretty painless. My last AMD platform was using the nForce4, which, uh, was not the most well-designed chipset out there.

phongn fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 20, 2023

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

phongn posted:

I've been reading about relatively slow boot times on AM5, and immature firmware slowly being ironed out, as well as the occasional report of USB and fTPM problems. Conversely, my Intel machine (and the Q9550 that predated it) has been pretty painless. My last AMD platform was using the nForce4, which, uh, was not the most well-designed chipset out there.

I would say the slow boot times have been ironed out, my Gigabyte x670 had to be flashed just to support the 7800 and my boot times have been maybe a couple seconds slower than my 3900x was, which tended to boot so fast that unless my finger was ready to mash the BIOS key the chance would usually pass before I could react.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

phongn posted:

I've been reading about relatively slow boot times on AM5, and immature firmware slowly being ironed out, as well as the occasional report of USB and fTPM problems.

They're still slightly slower than AM4 or Intel but only by maybe 10-15sec on boot. The fTPM issues got fixed a update or 2 ago depending on the mobo you're talking about. USB issues seem fine too.

The launch BIOS'es were rough around the edges but they've done a bunch of updates and its pretty smooth sailing for the most part now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One thing to note about AM5 CPUs like the 7800X3D is that the optimal frequency for memory is 3000MHz, and unbuffered DIMM-wide ECC memory usually only runs at 2400MHz.

If you can get the exact right die, and if you win the silicon lottery, it is possible to tune the memory - but it means that you'll be limited to only 32GB of memory.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

K8.0 posted:

Are you a big player of CPU-intensive sim games like Stellaris, Factorio, maybe FS2020, etc? If not, just buy the 13600k and pocket the savings for a more impactful upgrade down the road. If you DO play those type of games and their ultra late game performance matters a lot to you, the 7800X3D is going to give an incredibly huge performance difference.

Doesn't the Intel line use significantly more power? I run the 7800X3D and feel like my overall system already functions as an actual space heater. Which is nice in the morning, for sure, especially because I am a very early riser, but still.

Also, I could be making this up but the 3D cache just seems like it has this X factor, to me. It's so buttery smooth. Maybe the 13600k has a similar feeling and I'm talking out of my rear end but the 7800X3D just feels great. The 1% lows are just... always fantastic in a way that goes beyond raw fps.

Some other genres benefit too, MMOs being a primary use case. For example in World of Warcraft, 3D Cache is currently the only way to get good fps and 1% lows in the capital city. So if you are an MMO person and want to have a smooth as hell experience in current and especially upcoming titles it's a great call. Especially because while MMOs have been classically built from the ground up to be easy to run, that appears to be changing; new and upcoming MMOs look pretty rough to run in any kind of crowded scenario.

The upgrade path for the processor is also looking very defined on AM5 for a further upgrade 2 or 3 years down the road, and the prices for the ancillary components (DDR5, motherboard) are down significantly.

:shrug: idk all I'm saying is that I've been super impressed with the 7800X3D.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'm always like :dafuq: when people talk about boot times. Do you really reboot your PC that often? On a desktop machine? Why?

I see the boot logo once or twice a month. Could not give a poo poo if the PC boots in 3 seconds or 30.

Taima posted:

Doesn't the Intel line use significantly more power? I run the 7800X3D and feel like my overall system already functions as an actual space heater. Which is nice in the morning, for sure, especially because I am a very early riser, but still.

Yes, if you're doing all-core heavy processing apps like encoding, rendering, or whatnot. But it's not a massive difference for normal desktop & games stuff. TPU's power use tests for gaming has the 13600k average 75 watts and the 7800x3d doing 50.

If your PC feels like a space heater it's probably the GPU.

Taima posted:

The upgrade path for the processor is also looking very defined on AM5 for a further upgrade 2 or 3 years down the road, and the prices for the ancillary components (DDR5, motherboard) are down significantly.

This has merit, but for someone who was ok with a 2016-2023 upgrade cycle I dunno if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Klyith posted:

I'm always like :dafuq: when people talk about boot times. Do you really reboot your PC that often? On a desktop machine? Why?

I see the boot logo once or twice a month. Could not give a poo poo if the PC boots in 3 seconds or 30.

It's not windows boot times, it's POST. On AM5 without restore memory context it is slow.

Maybe you use your PC in a different way, but I turn mine off or use hibernate every day. My AM4 5950x machine is quick, and my AM5 7700 machine with restore memory context is quick, but when it decides to re-train, that boot is lengthy.

Having a black screen for an extended period is not exactly a slick experience. You're fine with it, great.