Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Disco Pope posted:

Is it a translation issue, or does every one of these really follow the pattern of "what if, hypothetically, in a scenario one might conjure, whereby the use of weapons was permitted, say nuclear weapons, which we should use if necessary, hypothetically, and if the conditions were met whereby..."

It's like reading a 90s Warhammer rule.
Realm of fantasy is all that remains to them. What else is there to discuss? "Our Grand Winter Offensive captured half of a medium sized town while most of our army drove into minefields"? Or "Leopard tanks, Bradleys and MiGs are arriving to Ukraine, but our Dear Leader Putin in his infinite wisdom (may his diaper forever remain pristine) gave our troops old picture in a box"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Dwesa posted:

Realm of fantasy is all that remains to them. What else is there to discuss? "Our Grand Winter Offensive captured half of a medium sized town while most of our army drove into minefields"? Or "Leopard tanks, Bradleys and MiGs are arriving to Ukraine, but our Dear Leader Putin in his infinite wisdom (may his diaper forever remain pristine) gave our troops old picture in a box"?

Yeah, but they've taken this "just asking questions tone" from the beginning - presumably because their dual purpose is to scare outsiders and present the illusion of a reasoned, rational debate for an internal audience. Anyway, everyone looks like they're over it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

Is it a translation issue, or does every one of these really follow the pattern of "what if, hypothetically, in a scenario one might conjure, whereby the use of weapons was permitted, say nuclear weapons, which we should use if necessary, hypothetically, and if the conditions were met whereby..."

It's like reading a 90s Warhammer rule.

oh this is extremely on par for propagandist language

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1648323163841806339

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooks

I can't help but laugh every time Solovyov opens his stupid fat loving mouth and starts ranting to the point where he almost gives himself an aneurysm.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You know, when people were bringing up the GDP amounts that countries have given to Ukraine and brought up France as a low outlier, I almost wanted to say something about this. That Macron is one of the few people dumb enough to still be banging on about giving Putin a dignified exit, and how I would've been willing to bet cash money that he was about to drop a suggestion for the two countries to just sit down and hash this out.

It's wild that the president of a country that was in living memory invaded and conquered by fascists is this stupid when it's someone else's country getting invaded and genocided. How did it work out for France again when they sat down to negotiate with the nazis while the panzers were rolling around in the countryside?

E: and to clarify, I would be all for sitting down to negotiate if those negotiations resulted in the only outcome Ukraine is willing to accept: Russia getting entirely the gently caress out of all Ukrainian territories, handing over suspected war criminals for investigation and sentencing, agreeing to pay reparations for the insane amounts of damage their illegal war has inflicted and so on.

But I don't think there's much chance of that.

E2: rewrote a sentence to make more sense in English.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 18, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it aint his living memory

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Macron is an elemental made up of pure spineless neoliberalism that only remains in office because the alternative is neo-nazi adjacent.

he sucks

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Deki posted:

Macron is an elemental made up of pure spineless neoliberalism that only remains in office because the alternative is neo-nazi adjacent.

he sucks

sounds familiar

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You know, when people were bringing up the GDP amounts that countries have given to Ukraine and brought up France as a low outlier, I almost wanted to say something about this. That Macron is one of the few people dumb enough to still be banging on about giving Putin a dignified exit, and how I would've been willing to bet cash money that he was about to drop a suggestion for the two countries to just sit down and hash this out.

It's wild that the president of a country that was in living memory invaded and conquered by fascists is this stupid when it's someone else's country getting invaded and genocided. Should France have sat down with Germany to negotiate when the panzers were rolling around in the countryside?

E: and to clarify, I would be all for sitting down to negotiate if those negotiations resulted in the only outcome Ukraine is willing to accept: Russia getting entirely the gently caress out of all Ukrainian territories, handing over suspected war criminals for investigation and sentencing, agreeing to pay reparations for the insane amounts of damage their illegal war has inflicted and so on.

But I don't think there's much chance of that.

Funny you should mention it, but that's exactly what France did.

You'd think that would give him some historical perspective on his moronic stance, but...

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Helsingin Sanomat asked Prigozhin about FDF. Prigozhin suggests 500 vs. 500 team deathmatch to settle the issue. Maybe that could be used as a proxy to end the war itself lol.

https://www.hs.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000009526116.html

Machine translate because I couldnt be arsed:

HS also asked Prigozhin how he assessed the combat capability and technical capabilities of the Finnish Defence Forces, and how he thought the Finnish Defence Forces compared with other European defence forces.

Prigožin writes that in order to assess the Finnish Defence Forces, he would have to meet the forces himself.

"It is absolutely necessary. If you are ready to make such a proposal to the Finnish leadership, do it in the following way: we choose a place, you send 500 well-equipped Finnish soldiers there," Prigožin writes, and continues:

"Then I will go there with 500 Wagner soldiers and we will fight to the death until one side or the other wins. We will kill each other and measure which side is stronger," Prigožin says.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Russia gets Donbass & Crimea and Ukraine gets Alsace-Lorraine.

Boom. Done. Nobel peace prize me.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Philonius posted:

You'd think that would give him some historical perspective on his moronic stance, but...

macron's handling of ukraine vis a vis french foreign policy is basically throwing a bunch of mario kart bananas ahead of you and driving into them a lap later

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Philonius posted:

Yeah exactly, sorry, that was just me kind of thinking in Finnish but writing in English. I guess a more legible English phrasing would have been something like "how did it work out for France when they sat down to negotiate with Germany while the panzers were rolling around in the countryside".

As you say, you'd think someone in his position would be very well aware of why you don't negotiate with fascists especially when they're holding parts of your country, but Macron's gonna Macron.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Philonius posted:

Was just about to post this. Bonkers when you think about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deki posted:

he sucks

But enough about Canada.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I said this just recently and say it again, Macron is playing to win the title of "most spineless European leader during the Ukraine war". That will surely puts his name into the history books.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

bad_fmr posted:

"It is absolutely necessary. If you are ready to make such a proposal to the Finnish leadership, do it in the following way: we choose a place, you send 500 well-equipped Finnish soldiers there," Prigožin writes, and continues:

"Then I will go there with 500 Wagner soldiers and we will fight to the death until one side or the other wins. We will kill each other and measure which side is stronger," Prigožin says.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyes. Let's see.

I choose Tuva.

You go on ahead, I'll be there shortly!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Der Kyhe posted:

I said this just recently and say it again, Macron is playing to win the title of "most spineless European leader during the Ukraine war". That will surely puts his name into the history books.

i mean, they wont forget about chamberlain neither

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

bad_fmr posted:

Prigozin's Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny falls apart when the elite wagner SS smell the sausage potatoes someone forgot in the area and history repeats itself.

Man I could go for some makkaraperunat right about now.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

HonorableTB posted:

macron's handling of ukraine vis a vis french foreign policy is basically throwing a bunch of mario kart bananas ahead of you and driving into them a lap later

too close to home reference

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ukraine gives a master class on maskirovka:

https://web.archive.org/web/2023041...se-the-russians

How Ukraine is using fake tanks and guns to confuse the Russians posted:

From the Trojan horse to the stuffed sackcloth paratroopers known as “Ruperts” dropped to confuse the Germans on D-Day, deception in war is as old as war itself. As weapons technologies evolve, so must the cunning plans to blunt their advantage. Drones have rendered the battlefield in Ukraine highly visible; enter the dummies.

As soon as the tank was invented in the first world war, spoofs made from painted hessian stretched over wooden frames were deployed to distract and confuse. In Ukraine, the Russians claim to have taken out several precision himars rocket launchers first supplied by America last June; the Ukrainians say none have been lost on the battlefield. Somewhere in the discrepancy is a small fleet of replica himars, wooden models mounted on heavy trucks, trundling along muddy tracks behind the frontline.

“You have to understand that this a war of innovation,” says Anton Gerashchenko, an advisor to the Ukrainian government. “The drones and satellites are more sophisticated and can see in greater detail. It’s harder to fool the enemy who have cameras and live video. But high-quality decoys can work very well.”

In the past Ukrainian efforts with military decoys have been somewhat ad hoc, amateurs nailing bits of scrap together. “Let’s call it handicrafts,” says Andrii Rymaruk, Director of Military Affairs for Come Back Alive, an ngo that has been at the forefront of supplying Ukrainian soldiers with materiel since the war in the Donbas began in 2014. Since 2018, Come Back Alive has been working on designing inflatable prototypes, of the kind usually used by armies in training exercises. Before the invasion, the top brass were unimpressed. “The army said, ‘We don’t need it,’” says Mr Rymaruk.

Inflatable dummies have several advantages. Wooden models are heavy and awkward, made of several parts. They need a vehicle to transport them and a team to assemble and disassemble a folding wooden frame. An inflatable is sewn together from nylon fabric, cheaper to manufacture, potentially light enough to be carried in a backpack and “very fast to deploy”, says an engineer with Inflatech, a Czech company that specializes in inflatable Soviet and Chinese armaments. “Plug in the blower and in ten minutes it’s a tank.”

Tanks, field artillery, mortars, machine guns; almost any piece of military equipment can be replicated in inflatable form. The Russians, supposed masters of maskirovka, the art of military disguise and trickery, have hot air balloon factories producing inflatables including fighter planes that can be parked in rows to look like busy airbases. There are some issues recreating spindly parts of equipment that stick out, like antennae on radar systems. The Inflatech engineer explains that “for example, a tank cannon is too long and the pressure is not so high, so we have to use some aluminum tubes as supports.” Demand is rising; Inflatech has seen its orders increase by 30% since the start of the war in Ukraine.

At the same time, dummies are becoming more life-like. Collapsible wooden replica tanks are so detailed and realistic, says Gerashchenko, “you can’t tell it’s fake even from five metres.” Trucks can be driven across fields to make tank tracks, comms traffic broadcast to create the impression of a military position. Inflatech uses flexible reflectors to simulate the heat of a gun that has just been fired, to fool the thermal imaging cameras on drones. Dummies also have to be able to produce a valid radar signal, despite being full of air. Mr Rymaruk says that “we are making quite a lot of technical improvements, but I don’t want to share them now.”

Dummies could be effective at countering the menace of the Russian Lancet drones, which are currently decimating Ukrainian artillery. “The Lancet drone is the most dangerous drone for us,” says Mr Gerashchenko. “It has a 40km range and carries 3kg of explosive. Very useful for destroying artillery.” A Lancet drone, produced in Russia, probably costs under $50,000; an American m777 howitzer, currently in use by the Ukrainians, can cost nearer $4m. “If your enemy sees you on the battlefield, you’re not only dead,” says Mr Gerashchenko, “it is also very expensive.” If, on the other hand, you can convince the Russians to waste resources shooting at fakes, says Mr Rymaruk, “you are economically depleting the enemy.”

quote:

The Russians...have hot air balloon factories producing inflatables

solovyov and simonyan in the mud

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 18, 2023

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

RDM posted:

Russia gets Donbass & Crimea and Ukraine gets Alsace-Lorraine.

Boom. Done. Nobel peace prize me.

Ukraine should also try and get Schleswig-Holstein for all the trouble they've gone through.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Maybe Putin has kompromat on Macron?

Le film de pisse est réel?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

HonorableTB posted:

solovyov and simonyan in the mud

Putin, when the horse came

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Conartist posted:

Ukraine should also try and get Schleswig-Holstein for all the trouble they've gone through.
Deal, but Lapland has to be a Russo-Finnish time share. Changes occupancy every other month.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

weg posted:

I think it's very possible that a lot of the earlier viruses that permeated cyberspace may very well have captured kompromat on pretty much anyone in power today

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Raku posted:

Prigozhin, his window ajar

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Ukraine don't stand a chance.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1648385293387460609

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Prigozhin, his window ajar

HIMARS. AT. THE AMMO DEPOT.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It is as foretold in the prophecies*:

* The 1981 documentary film Stripes.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

weg posted:

Micron is like the epitome of the neoliberal rear end in a top hat, who will to his dying breath insist that history is over and everyone can be reasoned with or at least bribed. Add to that a handful of classic French arrogance and desire to display the wolrd his importance.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it aint his living memory

His wife helped build the Maginot line you’ll think she’dat least try bring it up over dinner.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Raku posted:

lmao

news for content, tank biathlon games have been cancelled

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1648338100739883009

I think 3 or 4 of former champions are dead now

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 18, 2023

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I love that they gave the headlights armored flaps.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Prigozin's Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny falls apart when the elite wagner SS smell the sausage potatoes someone forgot in the area and history repeats itself.

Yeah you think but in concept of fairness the Finns would have to make do with the classic sissi rations. I very much doubt the legendary kinkkupasta banaanilla would work in the way you hope.

The real question is how would we select the 300 500 volunteers? Im sure there would be way more applications than that so some sort of trial system would be necessary.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

FMguru posted:

It is as foretold in the prophecies*:

* The 1981 documentary film Stripes.

Legit had to look at that for several seconds to see that its a custom Winnebago and not the latest Z comedy vehicle. I was looking for PKMs sticking out of the side windows.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I love that they gave the headlights armored flaps.

and made it look angry, but also painted over the headlight glass so they're worthless anyway :confused:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65315083

Abolut vodka backed down and banned exports again because the Swedes didn't like that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

lmao

news for content, tank biathlon games have been cancelled

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1648338100739883009

I think 3 or 4 of former champions are dead now

They should do it the old fashioned way; on bicycles, with a saucepan strapped to their heads. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/europe/wagner-ukraine-civilian-deaths-intl/index.html

Wagner guy who said he killed children recants and says he was blackmailed lol