Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

why is the Asus Geforce 4070 Dual and the Asus Geforce 4070 Dual OC the same price? Why would someone go for the non-OC version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

bone emulator posted:

why is the Asus Geforce 4070 Dual and the Asus Geforce 4070 Dual OC the same price? Why would someone go for the non-OC version?

It's clocked 1.7% higher. It's just marketing bullshit to make it seem like a better deal.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

don't the boost systems on modern GPUs make OC models even more pointless than they used to be

the vanilla version is rated for 2505mhz boost, and the OC version is rated for 2550mhz, but TPUs sample of the non-OC version boosted to 2749mhz out of the box

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

repiv posted:

don't the boost systems on modern GPUs make OC models even more pointless than they used to be

Yeah basically it’s like a binned part where you will more likely get a better boost, and frankly not that much of one usually

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dogen posted:

Yeah basically it’s like a binned part where you will more likely get a better boost, and frankly not that much of one usually

I am not even sure they are bothering to bin anymore.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Lockback posted:

Entirely possible.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Thanks to everyone who answered my question re the 4070, appreciate the clarification. Gonna be quite the step up from my current ancient 970, but frankly the old computer will probably serve just as well as a media centre/couch co-op system, it's surprising how long it's remained useful!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lockback posted:

NVIDIA has been pre-binning the GPUs for the partners since at least Ampere. Really since Turing if you count the -A SKUs.

Since Ampere they now come from NVIDIA in 3 grades - basically bad (bottom 30%), normal (60%), and top-10%. The laziest partners just throw them right onto boards and call it done and bin the finished cards based on observed voltage curves. Why bother doing actual work when you could just throw on a 4-slot cooler and make some money?

https://www.igorslab.de/en/chip-is-...80-andrtx-3090/

The ones who are doing work are measuring capacitance and resistance between all the pin-pairs before putting them on boards, and then correlating the results when they go on cards, figuring out the pin-pairs that matter, and sorting the top-10% bin for the very best chip. Those are your HOFs and Kingpins and stuff, the XOC cards.

Nobody is binning the FTW3s and Strixes and poo poo, they just bin "is this a good one or no", if so they get a little more voltage and get sold as an OC card. That's the only binning the majority of cards get these days. And you can bet the amount of work they put in declined even further during the crypto era when literally everything would sell. Pump some loving voltage and sell it as an OC card, who cares.

And the Ventuses and stuff come pre-binned with NVIDIA-selected turds.

Again, like, why do work when you could just slap on a quad-slot cooler, pump the voltage up 10%, and make some money? It's not a coincidence the partner cards are all 450W monstrosities. They're lazy middlemen, computer equivalents of car-dealererships, they'll do anything they can to pump the sales price and make more margin off what they're given, but, they're not going to actually do work.

If you're not buying a XOC card (HOF, etc) you're not getting anything special anymore.

This is one of the reasons I have said for a while that the “dealers” aren’t pulling their weight anymore in the overall relationship. They don’t bin most chips. They mildly customize a reference PCB layout. They aren’t allowed to do crazy :catdrugs: Asrock poo poo to take the silicon beyond its intended segments. They throw on a cooler that could be designed by a hundred contract firms with equal levels of competence. Some of them like evga don’t even make the actual cards anymore.

They take the spec from nvidia, and give it to the factory, and service the warranty! They’re people persons, why don’t you get it!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNuu9CpdjIo

And while a lot of that is nvidia and AMD wearing the pants in the relationship… in the end it kinda doesn’t matter and we’d be better off with cards at msrp than slightly better warranty service. It’s hard to value the ability to just have all the cards distributed at msrp not through a bunch of middlemen but it’s very high. What is the price of accountability the next time there is one of these mining booms and partners gouge the living daylights out of customers? If nvidia is doing a bad job holding msrp or letting miners buy all the cards and it’s solely on nvidia… there is an obvious chain of accountability. Like car dealers in a shortage, the partners have diffused responsibility and accountability too far for any actionable outcry or remedy.

It's loving weird that we accept this car-dealership model for GPUs and not for CPUs or anything else. Why can't I buy an Abit or NForce chipset on my motherboard, why can't I buy anything except an AMD or Intel x86 CPU, why do we accept that monopoly and not just GPUs too? The diffusion of responsibility is a problem just like with car dealerships and it hurts customers just like car dealerships. The ability to buy product at MSRP is more important than 4-slot coolers and mildly tweaked VRM designs. I want the ability to get in line on Steam and just buy a GPU like I can a Steam Deck.

And people act like you couldn't get your CPU warrantied if it failed, because gosh AMD and Intel don't do that, right? We probably need a dealership in the middle for CPUs too, right?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 18, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone know when they added DLAA to CoD Modern Warfare 2 2? I switched from whatever the game shipped with (guessing some kind of TAA) and the difference is very obvious but not all in a good way. Parts of it look like DLSS is suffering at 1200p, but DLAA should be rendering at native…? Land mass will be blurry in one scene and super sharp in the next, but the important bits like moving humanoids generally look good.

I have a 3080 that’s utterly bored with this game if it matters, but I can also tell from my power draw for 1200p60Hz that undervolting would be a good idea.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Beefy Geepies

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

4080 FE has been in-stock non-stop since the 14th of March lol. C'mon Jensen give us a price cut, you know you want to.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ijyt posted:

4080 FE has been in-stock non-stop since the 14th of March lol. C'mon Jensen give us a price cut, you know you want to.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ijyt posted:

We aren't going to see a single cent cut until AMD lays all their cards on the table or Intel shits out BM.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Twerk from Home posted:

We aren't going to see a single cent cut until AMD lays all their cards on the table or Intel shits out BM.

People will keep paying more for nvidia because reasons, nvidia doesn't give a rat's rear end

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ijyt posted:

There have been sales on Newegg for partner cards below $1200, it'll probably come

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ijyt posted:

Incidentally, this igor's lab report indicates that nvidia has preemptively given their AIBs $50 rebate vouchers for the 4070, allowing them to discount it below $599: https://www.igorslab.de/en/will-thegeforce-rtx-4070-bald-cheap-nvidia-supports-the-board-partners-with-discounts/

AIBs are reportedly choosing not to do so out of the gate out of fear that they'll cut into the upcoming 4060 Ti's sales, but eventual discounts on the 4070 seem likely. And depending on how badly the 4070 Ti and 4080 do, I could see Nvidia finally relenting on those cards' prices too.

edit: Actually yeah, there are already 4080s discounting down as low as $1150, which maybe-not-coincidentally is also a $50 discount. Nvidia will have to do better than that though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 18, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

change my name posted:

There have been sales on Newegg for partner cards below $1200, it'll probably come

Forgot to mention: *in the UK. £1,119 🥲

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ijyt posted:

How about 50 bucks off AIB 4070s?

https://twitter.com/tomshardware/status/1648312696444444672

Edit: beaten.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 18, 2023

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

should be 350, cards are still way over priced.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

wargames posted:

should be 350, cards are still way over priced.

the 1070 was $400 ($380 but it was $400 for a long time) 7 years ago, which comes out to be about $500 in today's money. So it's tracking to about 10% or so for the xx70 line.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Lockback posted:

the 1070 was $400 ($380 but it was $400 for a long time) 7 years ago, which comes out to be about $500 in today's money. So it's tracking to about 10% or so for the xx70 line.

1070/ti and vega56 were both 300 dollar cards back in the day with the often tossed out discounts.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This obsession with justifying the stupidly high prices by fellating inflation while the price is just whatever random number Jensen thinks people will pay 5 minutes before the keynote starts is so weird.

Video cards have been way too expensive ever since manufacturers joined the scalpers profiteering off of crypto.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lockback posted:

And everyones wages have gone up 10% too. Bingo bongo inflation rules.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

This would be tempting

My 2080 Ti does fine since most of my gaming now is not graphic intensive, but I hate how much heat it dissipates.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lockback posted:

the 1070 was also a much better card comparatively to the top of the stack. memory only going from 8 to 12gb in 7 years is stingy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The 1070 had crazy longevity too. I remember being wowed by how well it handled early DX11 games, and it held on at 1200p high settings all the way to Cyberpunk.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shumagorath posted:

The 1070 had crazy longevity too. I remember being wowed by how well it handled early DX11 games, and it held on at 1200p high settings all the way to Cyberpunk.

Yeah, I only replaced mine within the last month. Went with a 7900XTX. My gf had a 970 up until about a year ago and then upgraded to a 3060TI.

We both got a lot of use out of our cards. Surprised they both lasted so long and able to play nearly every game on non-ugly settings at good framerates (90+ fps).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

wargames posted:

1070/ti and vega56 were both 300 dollar cards back in the day with the often tossed out discounts.

Not in the first 6 months of release they weren't.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Geemer posted:

This obsession with justifying the stupidly high prices by fellating inflation while the price is just whatever random number Jensen thinks people will pay 5 minutes before the keynote starts is so weird.

Video cards have been way too expensive ever since manufacturers joined the scalpers profiteering off of crypto.

Yeah and my paychecks haven't inflated nearly as much in the last 5 years as GPU prices

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Lockback posted:

Not in the first 6 months of release they weren't.

Yeah, I'm still using my 1070 and I checked the order info, I paid $460 for mine back in August 2016.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

pairofdimes posted:

Yeah, I'm still using my 1070 and I checked the order info, I paid $460 for mine back in August 2016.

I think mine was something like $429 for an EVGA SC Gaming . Almost nothing was available at $380 though you could find deals ~$400 with some patience and digging. 1070 held value for a long time, I don't think it had major price breaks until like 2018.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Didn’t the 1070, and by extension all 10-series cards, have to deal with the fact that Nvidia’s founders edition cards had a premium over whatever MSRP they set? So a 1070 might have been $380 MSRP, but Nvidia’s in-house model was $450, so all of the AIBs wanted to charge at least $450 at first.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

Didn’t the 1070, and by extension all 10-series cards, have to deal with the fact that Nvidia’s founders edition cards had a premium over whatever MSRP they set? So a 1070 might have been $380 MSRP, but Nvidia’s in-house model was $450, so all of the AIBs wanted to charge at least $450 at first.

Yeah, and the Founders edition kinda sucked unless you absolutely needed a blower card. But the 1070 had a lot of demand too, the 1080 wasn't very good for the money and the 1060 came a little later and was not much cheaper despite being slower. So it was really kind of a no-brainer slot that tons of people were going after unless you wanted a 1080ti but who would spend $700 on a GPU????

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ended up paying about $400 for my Zotac 1070 but I had to go to Hong Kong to get it lol. That wasn't cheap for me then but it was much faster than the 980 and the 1080 was significantly more expensive so it was a decent choice at the time. Still running it until there's something reasonable in the $500 range. I wouldn't really want to go much lower in terms of performance than the 4070 though so hopefully it or the AMD equivalent (or 3080 for that matter) will get discounted accordingly at some point.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

mobby_6kl posted:

Ended up paying about $400 for my Zotac 1070 but I had to go to Hong Kong to get it lol. That wasn't cheap for me then but it was much faster than the 980 and the 1080 was significantly more expensive so it was a decent choice at the time. Still running it until there's something reasonable in the $500 range. I wouldn't really want to go much lower in terms of performance than the 4070 though so hopefully it or the AMD equivalent (or 3080 for that matter) will get discounted accordingly at some point.

If the 4070 drops to $550 I don't see any reason for used 3080s to stay at that price point anymore

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

If the 4070 drops to about $500 I'll get one, otherwise go to hell Nvidia

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Lockback posted:

Every card this gen other than the 4090 has a name two slots above what its hardware corresponds to. The 4070 is really a 4060, it should be $300ish. Consumers should not be giving them credit for this renaming bullshit they're pulling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What’s the canonical definition of what the names should be?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

There isn't any. But I think what people are accustomed to is the *60 to be cheap enough that a high school or college student could get one and then everything else is an exponential increase in price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

80ti/90 384 bit bus, 550-650mm²+ chonkers
70/80 256bit, 400-450mm²
60(ti) 192 bit, 250-300mm²
50 and cut 60 garbage models - avoid like plague

The 4070ti should have been a 14GB or so harvested 4080 but it ain't. And everything downstack got hosed along with it.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 18, 2023