Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Cojawfee posted:

That temple was frustrating as hell.

Wrong. Possibly the best dungeon in the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I was doing fairly well cruising through Skyward Sword last week until I got to the part where I had to find the Triforce on Skyloft and was like “oh good, more tedious backtracking” and then got to the fight with the big sky whale and was told I had to gather fragments of some song and was like “oh good, even more tedious backtracking” and then got to the flooded forest and the talking fruit or whatever was like “oh ho ho, not so fast! In order to get my song fragment you have to” aaaaaand that was where I put it down and haven’t picked it back up

Skyward Sword has some phenomenal moments but good god, does it have tedium and filler galore

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't get the hype behind Ancient Cistern myself. The one setpiece is cool I guess but other than that I remember nothing else about it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you could make a version of Skyward Sword that was just dungeons and Groose, it’d be good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Alxprit posted:

I don't get the hype behind Ancient Cistern myself. The one setpiece is cool I guess but other than that I remember nothing else about it.

It's probably because that and the time travel gimmick desert, and the bad guys were the only three things worth remembering about that game

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The sandship was much more fun to me because the Bow was a long time coming and it trivialized all combat and felt great.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I started a new game of BotW last week because I never saw the fifth-guardian DLC and thought hey, maybe I could get to & finish that before TotK arrives (and also because I hadn't touched it since 2017)

o what a fool i was to think i could do that in time in "Ooh, Shiny Distraction" The Video Game :negative: I usually hate just bumblefucking around in open world games, so it's almost scary how much BotW manages to get me out of the proverbial box

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
iirc Ocarina of Time had a lot of Shinto vibes to it, too, though I might've imagined it since it was like the year after Princess Mononoke

a lot of Japanese RPGs and the like deal with nature vs man themes, but OoT was really explicit about its powerful nature spirits being poisoned by the dark, hungry power of Ganondorf

I started to hunt for more concrete symbolism but discovered the triforce was based on the symbol for an old samurai family and now I'm tumbling down the rabbit hole

edit as I read more: I guess the Hojo clan emblem itself represented three scales of a dragon god that was said to protect the family, so the vibes might have kind of always been there

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 18, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I try not to watch trailers for games like TotK that I know I'm gonna get (more fun to be surprised, IMO) so maybe this's already known but I want more shield surfing, and also buildable ramps & boosters a la Death Stranding, and I'ma riot if I don't get it

horses're for losers

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's probably because that and the time travel gimmick desert, and the bad guys were the only three things worth remembering about that game

I liked the Mogma. And the Beetle was a great item. But yeah, the filler and the railroading and the compulsory back-and-forwarding and the repetitiveness... aargh.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zore posted:

Its unlikely. They might get a mention or minor visual shoutout but we know at least Revali's VA didn't get asked back for TotK and there's no bad blood or scandals there.

Didnt he voice the deku tree to?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Cartoon Man posted:

They should leave the Champions alone, looks like their successors are the focus.

Honestly we're on the successor's successors at this point with Teba's kid. I understand Teba had to be killed for the crime of being insanely OP in Age of Calamity, but still.

Also we still haven't seen Yunobo, wonder what's up with that.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Runcible Cat posted:

I liked the Mogma. And the Beetle was a great item. But yeah, the filler and the railroading and the compulsory back-and-forwarding and the repetitiveness... aargh.

A few moments there where you're like three or full bullshit quests deep, where you're doing bullshit so that you can do some other bullshit, which will let you get some bullshit that'll let you complete the bullshit you need to enter the fun and cool dungeon.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Didnt he voice the deku tree to?

He did, and people have pointed out that the Deku Tree appears to be missing entirely in a few trailer shots, so it’s quite possible he won’t make an appearance - though in the latest trailer theres a shot of the master sword with Koroks clearly visible in the background, so who knows

Infinity Gaia posted:

With any luck, it’s because he’s not in the game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Kirby game that you played by tilting the game boy was awesome

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Nintendo has decided not to break our minds with buff Yunobo yet.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Teba having his Faith broken by Revali in AoC was hilarious, but Yunobo gets a special shout out for showing up to save Daruk and Daruk instead getting a second win because of course he has to save Yunobo

E: I never went back to check but does Teba heal after you clear the dungeon/game? He did get blasted

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I sure do hope a hundred mummified Sheikah monks don't mind don't having to reassemble they're corporeal shells to crank out another puzzle room and spirit orb again.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

Nintendo has decided not to break our minds with buff Yunobo yet.

He been working out with these guys.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yunobo will have undergone metamorphosis into a Biggoron and will just step on Ganon

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 18, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Speaking of which, Riju is like nearly Sidon sized now, how long was the gap between the games again?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caidin posted:

Speaking of which, Riju is like nearly Sidon sized now, how long was the gap between the games again?

We don’t know but I’m guessing like 3-4 years or so, maybe as high as 5.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

6 years, 2 months, 9 days.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Turns out gorons only live like 5 years on average, and during the timeskip Yunobo crumbled into rubble that then spawned more gorons.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Gruckles posted:

Turns out gorons only live like 5 years on average, and during the timeskip Yunobo crumbled into rubble that then spawned more gorons.

:yeshaha:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I was doing fairly well cruising through Skyward Sword last week until I got to the part where I had to find the Triforce on Skyloft and was like “oh good, more tedious backtracking” and then got to the fight with the big sky whale and was told I had to gather fragments of some song and was like “oh good, even more tedious backtracking” and then got to the flooded forest and the talking fruit or whatever was like “oh ho ho, not so fast! In order to get my song fragment you have to” aaaaaand that was where I put it down and haven’t picked it back up

Skyward Sword has some phenomenal moments but good god, does it have tedium and filler galore

Collecting the tadtones sucked and was probably the worst section in the game.

Alxprit posted:

The Heaven and hell theme and then the amazing boss fight. I refuse to believe you don’t remember the boss fight, it’s legitimately one of the best in the series.

The other dungeons are all good with some being great, the standouts being the two desert ones and the final dungeon. The timeshift stone gimmick in the desert is :discourse:

The game is worth playing through.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The time shift stones are honestly probably my favorite mechanic in the whole franchise. Literally like a week before I got to that part I had been telling a friend that my chosen “useless superpower” would be the ability to perceive the world in alternate timelines, and then all of a sudden there it was, in my favorite videogame franchise

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Skyward Sword was a bunch of good Zelda elements broken up really frustratingly over a really lovely and fractured overworld. And then lots of bullshit backtracking and fetch quests over the same overworld areas to pad out the game.

BotW on the other hand was the opposite. A really great and seamless overworld without many classic Zelda elements.

What I remember most from Skyward Sword was the good dungeons (especially Ancient Cistern and Lanayru Mining Facility) and what I remember most from BotW was exploring the overworld.

I would love it if something similar to the time stones in Lanayru Mining Facility existed in TotK.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Skyward Sword is weird in the series because any individual game is usually more consistent in quality. Skyward is extremely high highs and very low lows.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

The Lanayru Mining Facility theme is 🔥, the way it changes between past and present is seamless and incredible.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It does seem that with the return of dungeons, legacy mobs like ReDeads & Gleeoks, and good ol’ GanonDaddy, that they’ll be at least attempting a return to form while maintaining the basic open world

I’m hoping for at least some basic linearity again, while maintaining some flexibility in how the game is completed

Something like:

-tutorial area/plot expo
-meet/do poo poo with the three Champions and get their Tears, but in any order
-find/fix the Master sword
-meet/do poo poo with four more sages for their Tears, again in any order
-Final dungeon/boss

With each step needing to be completed in full before you can move on, but with the open world more less still fully able to be traversed once you finish the starting area

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

The Lanayru Mining Facility theme is 🔥, the way it changes between past and present is seamless and incredible.

:emptyquote:

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

The Maroon Hawk posted:

It does seem that with the return of dungeons, legacy mobs like ReDeads & Gleeoks, and good ol’ GanonDaddy, that they’ll be at least attempting a return to form while maintaining the basic open world

I’m hoping for at least some basic linearity again, while maintaining some flexibility in how the game is completed

Something like:

-tutorial area/plot expo
-Final dungeon/boss

With each step needing to be completed in full before you can move on, but with the open world more less still fully able to be traversed once you finish the starting area

I'm hoping that you can get to the dungeons whenever, but they're hard to get to and you have to be really clever building a jankmobile that can reach it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Something like:

-tutorial area/plot expo
-Final dungeon/boss

Here’s what I want to be able to do

-tutorial area/plot expo
-go straight to Gannon and kill him with meat arrows (Maybe go recruit buckethead and Mlady Goon first.)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mourning Due posted:

I know you took a bit of flack for this post, but 100% agree.

As a massive fan of the games, I must say...😬Zelda herself wasnt a compelling character until OoT, and even since then she's been fairly one-note up until BotW. She's very "driven by destiny" and doesn't get to make her own decisions. Even in stories where she's given a bit more like WW, she still generally ends up as a damsel in distress. It always feels like, she NEEDS to be around Link, as it's her destiny.

One of the many reasons LA is my favourite Zelda of all time, is how with so many limitation, they still made it feel like Marin at least had a mind and a life of her own. I know much more about what Marin wants out of life than I did about Zelda, at least up until that point. She helps out her dad. Loves to sing and entertain the townsfolk. Dreams of seeing the bigger world outside the island. Travels to the Animal Village and makes them all feel good. And actually WANTS to hang out with Link and help out. Zelda's all melancholy, "I will do what I must to save the world", whereas Marin's all "the walrus is asleep and you can't get past? Well then let's go wake him up!". She actually has agency, which is annoyingly rare in characters like her. I feel like Zelda is Links coworker, whereas Marin feels like a real beginning to a happy romantic relationship.

Which is why the ending hits so hard 🥲🥲🥲

This is a great observation as to why LA and Marin stick out to me. I hope the new Mario movie started some gears turning at Nintendo wrt their female cast. They've got the characters, they just fail to utilize them.

BotW did lean into characterizing Zelda more, which is good, but none of it made me like her or relate to her, but she's also british royalty so I don't think she is meant to be relatable in that way.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gonna be really funny when they put out the best zelda game ever and sell the most copies in series history and then poo poo out some catastrophic live action movie that tanks the brand before the next game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll take it, might be a sign Zelda finally moved up in the public consciousness.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I want weapon transmog. No i don't care that it's all disposable, if I'm dressing up as a ninja I want my weeb style and for it all to still kill nerds even after all the 'blins have been constructed out of tank armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This new trailer makes this game look like it has just tons of awesome poo poo to do and experience, holy poo poo.

The VA is still awful though.