Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They’re gonna do an affirmative action but for white men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Won't killing affirmative action see the percentage of Asian-American students at elite universities rise a lot though?

While the number of black students will definitely fall, I'm skeptical that the number of white men in universities will rise at those universities if affirmative action is banned. White women, sure, the number of those will rise a lot.
I'm not sure that's exactly what will happen (it's not like they're going to become purely meritocratic based on test scores or some poo poo, there will still be arbitrary decisions in the process that will allow them to shape the selection pool), but if it were, they'd still be fine with that, because the people who most want to see affirmative action go away are reactionary assholes who are motivated as much by doing harm to certain groups as they are by helping their own groups.

hatty posted:

They’re gonna do an affirmative action but for white men
they already do, those are called "legacy admissions"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah, Asian Americans are one of the biggest blocs against affirmative action, they loving hate it. Generally, of course.

My opinion is that none of the marginal strategies to achieve racial parity in higher education have really worked besides a couple of percentage points, the only way to actually achieve racial parity is enforced quotas, which are a policy that is not tolerable to probably 80%+ of the populace, and this is another We're Just Gonna Have to Wait for the Racists to Die

We know why minority participation in higher education is lower, they tend to have lower incomes, worse public education, and fewer parental resources/time to devote to helping kids in school. Not fixable at the output point.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 18, 2023

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Didn't they just remove student consequences from the staar?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They removed the requirement to pass to advance a grade, but they're still high stakes and they absolutely affect districts and campuses so teachers are just as frantic about it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I remember TAKS being pretty easy is STAAR that much harder?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hatty posted:

No. Similar pass rates for both.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

zoux posted:

They removed the requirement to pass to advance a grade, but they're still high stakes and they absolutely affect districts and campuses so teachers are just as frantic about it.

Yes, as I said 'for the students'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/katieasharrock/status/1648341120395407364

Jesus Christ, again?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Looks like the pause only lasted about an hour, but that's still extremely bad press.

https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status/1648349441693298688?s=20

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

hatty posted:

They rewrote the tests dramatically this year and expect the results to be catastrophic.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Didn't they just remove student consequences from the staar?

This is the case in most states. You wind up with a lot of lawsuits and news profiles of students who got all their grades and did everything they were supposed to but got denied a diploma if you attach student consequences.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DuckHuntDog posted:

They rewrote the tests dramatically this year and expect the results to be catastrophic.

Is this the first round of tests that are going to be wholly post-COVID? Did they even do them last year?

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

zoux posted:

Is this the first round of tests that are going to be wholly post-COVID? Did they even do them last year?

Yes, they had the tests last year. My kids' school district came out "A" rated on the scale that was used last year. This year TEA upped the requirements for an "A" rating to the point where my kids' school district would be "C" rated if they achieve the same results as last year. There may be some grace built in to it, but as of the last school board meeting, they had not received much in the way of concrete guidance from TEA.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ratmtattat posted:

they had not received much in the way of concrete guidance from TEA.

Lol, I can't believe it

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Ratmtattat posted:

Yes, they had the tests last year. My kids' school district came out "A" rated on the scale that was used last year. This year TEA upped the requirements for an "A" rating to the point where my kids' school district would be "C" rated if they achieve the same results as last year. There may be some grace built in to it, but as of the last school board meeting, they had not received much in the way of concrete guidance from TEA.

That is also not including changes to the tests, including the format of questions, rigor of questions, etc. They also announced they aren’t releasing test results until the fall. Fully expecting the school I am working at to go from a B to an F.

What a coincidence that there is zero push for any accountability on private schools even if we started giving them tax money.

zoux posted:

They did not give them in 2020 and excused them, but basically have given them since then. It also lined up with them switching vendors, but this year is also a new testing platform online so they are rewriting them as well.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 18, 2023

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ratmtattat posted:

See, public schools are failing, this is why we need private schools!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1648466836756000770

Thems the sorta words that leads to a 45 man sandbar knife fight

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

DuckHuntDog posted:

Pretty much. The Reading component in elementary school has a short essay requirement and the rubric is absolutely loving nuts. Why they're implementing this so soon after the pandemic, where most districts are still reeling from what amounted to the loss of two years of instruction for most kids, is even more insane.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

zoux posted:

Oh yeah, Asian Americans are one of the biggest blocs against affirmative action, they loving hate it. Generally, of course.

My opinion is that none of the marginal strategies to achieve racial parity in higher education have really worked besides a couple of percentage points, the only way to actually achieve racial parity is enforced quotas, which are a policy that is not tolerable to probably 80%+ of the populace, and this is another We're Just Gonna Have to Wait for the Racists to Die

We know why minority participation in higher education is lower, they tend to have lower incomes, worse public education, and fewer parental resources/time to devote to helping kids in school. Not fixable at the output point.

Texas A&M’s Vision 2020 study from 1997 led to an increase in Hispanic enrollment from single digit percentages to 20+% percent of students. Black students are still at 1-3%. So diversity strategies are a land of contrasts.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Texas A&M’s Vision 2020 study from 1997 led to an increase in Hispanic enrollment from single digit percentages to 20+% percent of students. Black students are still at 1-3%. So diversity strategies are a land of contrasts.

There's just an acceptable level of brown the State of Texas will tolerate so long as they also glom onto the greater homogeneous culture and be racist against their own people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It’s also half the state demographic ratio and I wouldn’t be surprised if the growth curve looks like x/2

UT isn’t any better, I think they’re like 5% black students, and they’ve been trying to increase diversity. I’m assuming good faith.

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 19, 2023

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

The trick is that a ton of public school kids in Texas don't understand much English. We've got tons of kids that are relatively new immigrants and tons of kids that are siloed off in communities where you function primarily using other languages (and the only place you use English to any degree is in school, but even then... you're in school with a bunch of kids from your local community).

The tests aren't difficult at all, really, if you're a native speaker.

We also have weak ESL programs in the sense that you only truly get ESL services for a few years, then you get transitioned into regular classes. Once there, you're mixed in with non-ESL kids and tested on the same things as native speakers. If you're an older ESL kid, you may be sitting in a class that's tested on Shakespeare while you're reading at a fourth grade level. Then what?

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 19, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

IT BURNS posted:

Pretty much. The Reading component in elementary school has a short essay requirement and the rubric is absolutely loving nuts. Why they're implementing this so soon after the pandemic, where most districts are still reeling from what amounted to the loss of two years of instruction for most kids, is even more insane.

They want to paint public schools as a failure, because it furthers their goal of privatizing education.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i fuckin' loved TAAS days in elementary. free snacks

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
They're finally hearing a raise the age for AR-15s to 21 bill (filed by rural Republican legislator) and the Uvalde families showed up to support it, waited 13 hours to testify.

Rep. Bowers chewed out the NRA, and a few other people opposed to the bill decided not to testify. But after those folks, all the most batshit pro-gun people testified anyway. One dude just argued his 8-year old is mature enough to own a gun?

There's always this Republican talking point of "why didn't the government address this dangerous person in some other way?". One of the Reps called it out "should the government have taken their guns away if they're so dangerous?" and it gets really dodgy after that.

Like, I can't ever wrap my brain around the fact that these people identify someone as horrifically dangerous, but are still like "yeah, literally nothing should have been done to stop or slow them down from getting as many guns as possible."

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 19, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Another successful self-defense

https://twitter.com/OliviaMesser/status/1648545972023095307

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, there's been a lot of that this week (or there aren't other news stories to drown these out like normally?)

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/us/kansas-city-ralph-yarl-shooting-tuesday/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/18/us/woman-shot-wrong-driveway-upstate-new-york/index.html

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
It's even more disturbing when you get past the headline. Only one cheerleader got into that car. She got out of the car quickly and got back into her friend's car, and he approached that car, then shot them after she apologized for the confusion. It wasn't even "someone is in my car and I impulsively shot them because I felt trapped" - it was just straight aggression on his part, going out of his way to do it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

It's even more disturbing when you get past the headline. Only one cheerleader got into that car. She got out of the car quickly and got back into her friend's car, and he approached that car, then shot them after she apologized for the confusion. It wasn't even "someone is in my car and I impulsively shot them because I felt trapped" - it was just straight aggression on his part, going out of his way to do it.

I figured the go-to sleezebag move would be to try and lure the girls back into his car, not shoot them

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zoux posted:

It’s also half the state demographic ratio and I wouldn’t be surprised if the growth curve looks like x/2

UT isn’t any better, I think they’re like 5% black students, and they’ve been trying to increase diversity. I’m assuming good faith.

If you want a truly diverse campus, look no farther than the University of Houston.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I figured the go-to sleezebag move would be to try and lure the girls back into his car, not shoot them

It sounds like this guy was just straight-up murderer waiting for an opportunity...

quote:

The four young women drove from the Round Rock area to Woodlands Elite Cheer Company in Oak Ridge three times each week for practice. They used the Elgin H-E-B as a carpool lot for the approximately 360-mile round-trip.

Just after midnight, cheerleader Heather Roth said she got out of her friend's car and opened the door to a vehicle she believed to be her own in the H-E-B parking lot.

Roth said there was a man sitting in the passenger seat, so she initially panicked, thinking a stranger was inside her car, and got back into her friend's vehicle.

When she noticed the man approach their vehicle, she said she rolled down the window to apologize, telling him she thought it was her car. Roth said the man threw up his hands, pulled out a gun, and started shooting. ABC13 has verified the testimony with Bastrop County sources.

An affidavit states that the H-E-B manager witnessed the gunman "shoot at the vehicle multiple times" before fleeing the area.

According to officers, Roth suffered a graze wound and was treated and released on the scene, but her teammate, Payton Washington, was shot in the leg and the back. Washington was flown to a nearby hospital in critical condition.

"Payton opens the door, and she starts throwing up blood," Roth said.

Dude was sitting in the passenger seat of his turned-off car. He had his doors unlocked. It was just after midnight in the parking lot of an HEB that closed at 11pm. I think we're going to learn that this was a lot more premeditated than it looks at first glance.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ElonMusgraves/status/1648671254134550528

Yankee libs keep your eyes in your own state. Flipped a border district in 2020, this mf doesn't know ball.

This dude's number one issue, far and away, is gun control. Non-starter. Uvalde county itself went for Abbott 60/40, and went for Gutierrez' opponent 60/40 as well.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 19, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Texas Democrats beat is like covering the NY Knicks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No, because the Knicks occasionally win a game.

TxDems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkhrUM35CQo

Replace every instance of "knicks" with "beto"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Like being a Yankee's reporter during a series with the Astros. :grin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:hmmyes:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Edit: actually I'm not contributing to the discussion at all.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

poemdexter posted:

Edit: actually I'm not contributing to the discussion at all.

This has never stopped a poster from :justpost:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you want a truly diverse campus, look no farther than the University of Houston.

-Downtown.