Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I've done a fair bit of moaning ITT about the Dead Space remake performance on Deck, as recently as yesterday infact, but RPS seem to be leading on Dead Space being one of the main beneficiaries of this.

Going to re-install and check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't see Microsoft adding per-game suspend and resume to the OS any time soon
I don't see much of a wonderful future for Windows outside of corporate.

It's poo poo show of ads; new busted 'metro' apps that are a direct step backward over their XP-era equivalents; layers upon layers of old interfaces that will never die (Windows 3 era font and file selectors, anyone?); A rickety foundation of driver roulette to see which vendor is going to provide a mountain of crapware on top of the standard interfaces just to do basic tasks (looking at you Intel); Absolutely shameful sleep/suspend shenanigans despite being the ones who made the whole ACPI spec as bad as it is.

The list goes on and on. Microsoft's giant monorepo for Windows and the constant infighting among managers and designers probably doesn't help.

Not that Linux/SteamOS is some paragon of OSes. Anything around that long tends to have a lot of built up cruft. Microsoft just doesn't bother fixing it, either.

:goonsay:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Explorer has tabs now though that’s pretty sick

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

They should just port the XBOX OS to general PC's, since they're basically PC's already anyway
Microsoft, ironically, has been in this kind of position multiple times in their history: Smart phones? Windows CE has most of the functionality that people want and has corpo controls that they crave. We could pour some dev time on this and make it an iOS competitor that already has a head start. What? No? Okay, we'll half-rear end a mobile UI and then abandon it.

What? A game-focused platform that could bring our stable of XBox stuff to a wider range of folks and we've already done the work on it? No? Okay, here's "gaming mode" for Windows 10.

Microsoft is in a constant game of "stop hitting yourself" and losing, but also making comical amounts of cash. Now that Azure is the golden goose, I can only imagine their other product lines are going to suffer.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Explorer has tabs now though that’s pretty sick
I wonder how that even made it into production. Probably when they were slicing out the start menu from explorer.exe (yes, the start menu was governed by the file browser).

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I pretty much refuse to use a Linux GUI if it can't have wobbly windows. KDE Plasma and the Steam Deck come with it. Doesn't make the device poo poo itself either.

Hopper posted:

FYI% Moonlighter is on Sale

Its like Recettear but less anime and better dungeon crawling. Good stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't see Microsoft adding per-game suspend and resume to the OS any time soon

Yeah this is one of the biggest things that steamOS has going for it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

From the steam thread,

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226620/Desktop_Dungeons/

click this now it might only work today. get the game for free, and automatically get the remaster free too at its release later today. haven't played it but i guess its kinda like tactical nexus

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

From the steam thread,

click this now it might only work today. get the game for free, and automatically get the remaster free too at its release later today. haven't played it but i guess its kinda like tactical nexus

Weird, was just looking at this the other day. Thanks!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this is one of the biggest things that steamOS has going for it.

It’s been outstanding. Having a AAA game like RE4m4k4e start back up in 2 seconds made rage quitting and rage picking-back-up a breeze.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Can Steam Deck pause one game to disk and launch another? I had thought they didn’t really have the quick resume type feature that xbox has. Pausing a game by hitting power button is cool but would love to be able to to switch between games.

It legit shocks me how great spider man looks and plays on a handheld device. Sure the fan gets pretty loud but I have earbuds in!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Can Steam Deck pause one game to disk and launch another? I had thought they didn’t really have the quick resume type feature that xbox has. Pausing a game by hitting power button is cool but would love to be able to to switch between games.

It legit shocks me how great spider man looks and plays on a handheld device. Sure the fan gets pretty loud but I have earbuds in!

It doesn’t but I feel like that’s probably something that could be done.

Quick resume on the Xbox is pretty fuckin sweet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

It doesn’t but I feel like that’s probably something that could be done.

Quick resume on the Xbox is pretty fuckin sweet.

Yeah now on systems that DON’T have it I get annoyed lol.

Come on Game Pass PC what the gently caress?!?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Quick Resume still surprises me when it works, which is pretty much every time. The way it survives power cycles makes it genuinely extremely useful.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

From the steam thread,

Great game, and I've had it for years. So cool of them to give the remake away for free to existing players.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

uiruki posted:

Quick Resume still surprises me when it works, which is pretty much every time. The way it survives power cycles makes it genuinely extremely useful.

The first time I moved my Xbox to another room and saw my game was still running was a trip.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MarcusSA posted:

From the steam thread,

I was thinkin' about tryin' that game at some point, more as a point of roguelike genre study, and now I definitely shall. Thanks!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Yeah now on systems that DON’T have it I get annoyed lol.

Come on Game Pass PC what the gently caress?!?

the xbox sandboxes each game inside a separate HyperV instance so quick resume is just suspending the entire VM to disk

it's not something that would easily translate to other systems

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

repiv posted:

the xbox sandboxes each game inside a separate HyperV instance so quick resume is just suspending the entire VM to disk

it's not something that would easily translate to other systems

But I want it!! *whines*

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Heran Bago posted:

I pretty much refuse to use a Linux GUI if it can't have wobbly windows. KDE Plasma and the Steam Deck come with it. Doesn't make the device poo poo itself either.

Be aware, though:

https://i.imgur.com/VUOo8iS.mp4

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

priznat posted:

Steam deck was just delightful on the plane. Caught up on a couple tv shows via plex, played a bunch of vampire survivors, spider man remastered and ace combat 7. A+.

What was the performance like for Spiderman? I got the impression it kinda struggled.

jokes posted:

If MS just released a Windows gaming mode that turned everything but the video game poo poo off, it would probably kill the Deck.

For what though? Steam Deck is priced pretty competitively against other "handheld gaming PCs' like AYANEO's offerings

They seem to be experimenting with something like you mentioned, but precisely for the Steam Deck rather than in any way competitive against it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I guess I mean it would kill SteamOS. The one issue I have with the Deck is the lack of compatibility with certain games which has been almost entirely mitigated. But it's still there!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

everybody needs steam to play their pc games anyway

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Maenad posted:

What was the performance like for Spiderman? I got the impression it kinda struggled.

I didn’t pull up the fps overlay or anything but it was totally playable. I played thru the initial kingpin capture part and had zero complaints with how it looked or controlled. I haven’t done any settings tweaking at all either. Ran great!

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

jokes posted:

I guess I mean it would kill SteamOS. The one issue I have with the Deck is the lack of compatibility with certain games which has been almost entirely mitigated. But it's still there!

I'm not even sure about that though, for one it would be effort to set up, and most people want an out of the box experience; and there's also questions of battery life and performance.

But beyond all that, Proton works incredibly well, to the point that most of the issues with things not working well on the Steam Deck seem to be more about bearable controls, UI/UX being readable due to screen size, or anti-cheat stuff either not being compatible with Linux, or the devs not having enabled the relevant options for it for their game.

Maybe if Steam recreated all the features of SteamOS as a mode for the windows app, but it would be up to them to do that. Otherwise it seems highly unlikely that SteamOS would be redundant unless you're playing with it docked and attached to an external monitor etc.

priznat posted:

I didn’t pull up the fps overlay or anything but it was totally playable. I played thru the initial kingpin capture part and had zero complaints with how it looked or controlled. I haven’t done any settings tweaking at all either. Ran great!

Cool to hear, thanks!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I don’t see any handheld “beating” the Steam Deck for at least like 3 years and it’s probably going to be the Steam Deck 2. It just hit the Venn Diagram sweet spot of price, performance, utility etc.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Anyone I know who's shown even the slightest interest in the SD wants it specifically because of a combination of price and the perceived "it just works" factor. Handheld PCs have been around forever and more powerful versions running Windows seem to miss the point by a pretty wide margin.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ottergauze posted:

They tend to abbreviate it to ROG now more than not, which is preferable.

It’s spelled out long-form about 15 times on the motherboard I bought. Ridiculous.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

moonlighter

Heran Bago posted:

Its like Recettear but less anime and better dungeon crawling. Good stuff.

seems fun five minutes in! is this made by the same people as potion permit? looks like similar art and concept

you actually do have to pay attention to the dungeons, you're not gonna skate by. on "hard - recommended".

i'm not seeing how to keep track of the prices, though. im setting them at random and i don't see if there's a base value

Mescal fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 18, 2023

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You have to set a price and then watch the reaction. Gold coin face = too cheap, unhappy face = too expensive. Figuring it out is half the fun.

Also: item reactions for high demand items (up arrow on smileyface and fully green bar on Notebook page) won't save to your notebook.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

priznat posted:

That would require the game to be coded to do that, or putting a ton of work into a Linux feature called Checkpoint/Restore In Userspace that is fragile and barely works (and will always be fragile and barely work).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
After people raved about it, I'm finally trying to play Dust: An Elysian Tail and for some reason it refuses to work despite being verified. The first time I booted it it was a white screen with sound and I clearly was in the main menu, so I tried deleting Proton and forcing a different version... now it just instantly crashes back to SteamOS on launch, regardless of which version of Proton I use.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling without compat mode, but same thing, it doesn't even do the white screen thing (which I later discovered was it trying to force a desktop resolution and thus not displaying properly).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

SilkyP posted:

I don’t see any handheld “beating” the Steam Deck for at least like 3 years and it’s probably going to be the Steam Deck 2. It just hit the Venn Diagram sweet spot of price, performance, utility etc.

They made a pretty big deal about the Steam Deck being not just repairable but also upgradeable. So it'll be interesting to see if anything core to the performance, like the APU or whatever, will actually be able to be upgraded whenever the next generation comes out.

(Regardless, it doesn't seem particularly wise to be waiting on the "Steam Deck 2" if one's planning to buy one; already made that mistake myself in waiting for the next generation of Index/Valve VR.)

Fuzz posted:

After people raved about it, I'm finally trying to play Dust: An Elysian Tail and for some reason it refuses to work despite being verified. The first time I booted it it was a white screen with sound and I clearly was in the main menu, so I tried deleting Proton and forcing a different version... now it just instantly crashes back to SteamOS on launch, regardless of which version of Proton I use.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling without compat mode, but same thing, it doesn't even do the white screen thing (which I later discovered was it trying to force a desktop resolution and thus not displaying properly).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Doesn't it have a native Linux build? Shouldn't have to use Proton to run it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Its for sure not user upgradeable but they may mean they can just slot in a newer APU into the platform and not have to redo the whole thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anyone play Riftbreaker on the Deck? How is it?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Steam Deck isn't a PlayStation or a Nintendo console. There's isn't an established, mass market release cadence that informs when we're going to get a follow up. This is a niche, experimental hardware that's only been reliably available within the last 6 months, and still isn't available at all in many markets.

Also, you're gonna wait on Valve to follow up a popular thing when everyone thinks they should? Valve?

Anyway, to this end I've finally decided to take the plunge in upgrading my 64GB to a 1TB SSD. Ordering the drive today and just preparing a boot USB now. Currently flashing the SteamOS disk to a GPT partitioned USB stick. Anything else I should know at this stage? This part of the process is my biggest fear, especially as the Steam Deck is my main computer so it'll be a hassle to play around with creating another boot disc if I don't get this right before I replace the SSD.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It doesn’t need a follow up for a few years yet and the longer they leave it the gently caress alone the better

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really, its the second revision we should be worried about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The real big deal is when they get one that can reasonably drive VR.

lol if valve achieve the year of linux on the desktop and something equally as ridiculous like actual mass vr adoption