Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Honest question here, where does that leave Fox as far as a defense goes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

LionYeti posted:

Honest question here, where does that leave Fox as far as a defense goes?
IANAL but I say somewhere North of "Turbo-hosed."

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
This sounds almost like the Alex Jones Sandy hook case at this point, just not with an explicit default judgement I guess?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Dominion has to prove actual malice. Which can be stupidly hard at times. So all arguments at trial will likely be about that

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also not a lawyer but feels like "I have secret evidence they committed a crime, I hope they sue me for saying this" is malice.

In what universe could it not be. You're hoping to hurt them bad enough to sue you.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 18, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Twibbit posted:

Dominion has to prove actual malice. Which can be stupidly hard at times. So all arguments at trial will likely be about that

Which, yeah, hard. Certainly helps when you have half a metric asston of emails and texts saying "Yes I did the thing."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
IANAL but as far as I can tell "actual malice" doesn't mean having Tucker on record as saying "I'm going to deliberately lie to our viewers in order to hurt Dominion", but rather that they knew or suspected it was bullshit and said it anyway. Which is normally very difficult... unless you have tons of discovery showing just that.

quote:

When a public figure like Trump [lol!] sues for defamation, they must prove that the defendant made a false statement with actual malice — that is, they must show that the statement was false and that the defendant either knew it was false or recklessly disregarded whether or not it was false. "Reckless disregard" means something like deliberately ignoring manifest signs that the statement was false. That's been the standard since New York Times v. Sullivan in 1964. Note that even under this standard, a media outlet that wrote a "purposely . . . false" statement of fact can be held liable. It's a difficult standard, but it can be done, as Rolling Stone found out this month.
From our friend Popehat: https://www.popehat.com/2016/11/14/lawsplainer-about-trump-opening-up-libel-laws/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1648357195895939075

Its already illegal to be poor and homeless, just taking it a step further.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

OgNar posted:

Somehow I don't think this is a public housing proposal.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SamDabbers posted:

Somehow I don't think this is a public housing proposal.

Well you see they keep trying to escape these "tent cities" we are trying to, let's say, concentrate them in so we're just going to have to fence the areas in. And if you have fences for people in that kind of situation you're going to have to have guards, ya know? Just how it goes. Boy there's a lot of them too. We better get some kind of transportation system set up. That many people by plane is just too expensive. Hey I hear railcars are pretty economical for this kind of situation, not sure where I heard it from but I heard it from some very fine people. They don't smell very good either we should set up some showers for them.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I’m wondering how a person is supposed to “refuse to comply” with not being homeless.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Mechanical Ape posted:

I’m wondering how a person is supposed to “refuse to comply” with not being homeless.

People refuse shelter all the time, usually for one of two reasons. Either A) the local shelter situation is real bad (this is depressingly common) and they'd rather take their chances on the street, or B) they are suffering from profound mental illness.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

OgNar posted:

It's fascinating because ideally we would be providing places for homeless folks to receive care and a place to stay. On its face, it almost sounds reasonable.

It's just that we all know exactly what this fucker actually means, because there is no way in hell that he or his ilk will spend one red cent on actually helping anyone. And there's no reason to move them out of cities, further isolating them from any connections that they have who could help them out.

Or basically:

bird food bathtub posted:

Well you see they keep trying to escape these "tent cities" we are trying to, let's say, concentrate them in so we're just going to have to fence the areas in. And if you have fences for people in that kind of situation you're going to have to have guards, ya know? Just how it goes. Boy there's a lot of them too. We better get some kind of transportation system set up. That many people by plane is just too expensive. Hey I hear railcars are pretty economical for this kind of situation, not sure where I heard it from but I heard it from some very fine people. They don't smell very good either we should set up some showers for them.

And you know full well that some fucker will be charging the government $300/inmate/day and forcing them into slave labor because they're technically criminals and thus can be enslaved. And sure, we could use that money to help benefit the people who need it, but that doesn't line the white pockets of the donor class.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Fighting Trousers posted:

People refuse shelter all the time, usually for one of two reasons. Either A) the local shelter situation is real bad (this is depressingly common) and they'd rather take their chances on the street, or B) they are suffering from profound mental illness.

That makes sense, thanks for explaining.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fighting Trousers posted:

it's important to note that A is often because shelters, often run by religious orgs, can have draconian requirements for being allowed to stay. Also homeless people do have things and can't always just leave them behind even to get into a shelter. pets too, and there's very limited options for couples and families.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Sounds like Fox and Dominion reached a settlement (which booooooo)

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1648416512204750848?s=20

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1648417414218907652?s=20

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Fuckin' weaaaaak

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Triskelli posted:

Fuckin' weaaaaak

Coming up next on Dominion News Network...

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Professor Beetus posted:

it's important to note that A is often because shelters, often run by religious orgs, can have draconian requirements for being allowed to stay. Also homeless people do have things and can't always just leave them behind even to get into a shelter. pets too, and there's very limited options for couples and families.

Yep. High barrier shelters are a huge problem. There's also simple issues of safety. Nobody wants to stay at a shelter where they may get robbed or assaulted.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Triskelli posted:

Fuckin' weaaaaak

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Let's check in with one of our favorite right wing media dipshits:

https://twitter.com/bakedalaska/status/1648366934478532612

LOL. LMAO.

Also:

Triskelli posted:

Fuckin' weaaaaak

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Triskelli posted:

Fuckin' weaaaaak

Yeah the ISIS Hostage on air apologies will be amusing but I wanted more humiliation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's a bummer but it seems like this happened after the judge appointed a special counsel to dig into Fox's discovery process so maybe Murdoch started really making GBS threads bricks at that point. The settlement could involve Tucker having to confess to being a dirty liar every day on his show, for all we know.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Well that's a bummer but it seems like this happened after the judge appointed a special counsel to dig into Fox's discovery process so maybe Murdoch started really making GBS threads bricks at that point. The settlement could involve Tucker having to confess to being a dirty liar every day on his show, for all we know.

There's no way anything from this settlement will be anywhere appropriate to the damage Fox News has caused short of their complete and utter dismantling and dissolution.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Angry_Ed posted:

There's no way anything from this settlement will be anywhere appropriate to the damage Fox News has caused short of their complete and utter dismantling and dissolution.

Yep, this is a massive disappointment. It's not even in the same solar system as appropriate justice.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

FMguru posted:

Let's check in with one of our favorite right wing media dipshits:

https://twitter.com/bakedalaska/status/1648366934478532612

LOL. LMAO.

Uncropped version:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just want to know if there are going to be any other conditions for this settlement beyond the $787 million

Because if I'm Dominion I want Fox News to be required to air messages saying that they lied about Dominion's involvement in a 'voter fraud' conspiracy

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah, I see no upside to this without more info.
As it is they can just continue on lying without repercussions.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah it's a big win for Fox, I don't know how I could view it any other way and I didn't even believe a huge loss for them would meaningfully impact their operations because it's an attack on one of the peripheral aspects of it. If it becomes unprofitable commercially it will merely be supported by other means.

Dirk the Average posted:

And you know full well that some fucker will be charging the government $300/inmate/day and forcing them into slave labor because they're technically criminals and thus can be enslaved. And sure, we could use that money to help benefit the people who need it, but that doesn't line the white pockets of the donor class.

Standard rate is actually $750/day for people caught crossing the border, but that's pre-COVID I believe so it's probably higher now. Something to always keep in mind when seeing the conditions of these places.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Yeah huge win for Fox but the private equity fucks who own Dominion get paid immediately and about 10x what they invested into.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 18, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
And nothing will happen to curtail "news" that leads to a bunch of morons trying to overthrow the government or people being so terrified of exceedingly rare violent crime that they shoot children walking or driving up to the wrong house. The reason we live in such a society? Fox news and their ilk, the gun manufacturers, and the NRA, who all need 40% of the country to think it's a Charles Bronson movie out there to stay in business.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Professor Beetus posted:

And nothing will happen to curtail "news" that leads to a bunch of morons trying to overthrow the government or people being so terrified of exceedingly rare violent crime that they shoot children walking or driving up to the wrong house. The reason we live in such a society? Fox news and their ilk, the gun manufacturers, and the NRA, who all need 40% of the country to think it's a Charles Bronson movie out there to stay in business.

The question is can you fight them without First Amendment issues being raised? Private entities can go after them for slander/libel but the government itself is extremely constrained unless they can prove actual criminal malice.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jagged Jim posted:

Uncropped version:

His dong is the clapper.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If it was a huge win for Fox they wouldn't have settled

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Its a huge win because they arent being held accountable for their lies.

Allowing them to continue on like nothing happened like this video from yesterday that is just plain hate/fear mongering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRG9u-XrTAU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Talk radio is just going to spin it

Dominion took the settlement because they knew they had no case and this just proves it.

I don't even know if FOX will report on it. I never even thought to see how (or if) they were covering it. I'd assume they can't because of the lawsuit but now...?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Looks like the Dominion attorney is claiming that since they paid a lot of money and backed down or something, that makes it a win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsOCwjWchc

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

HootTheOwl posted:

Well, it depends on what the terms of the deal are, but I imagine Fox may have paid something different than the alleged damages in order to get more favorable terms where they do not have to make on-air statements.

Counsel for Fox hosed this case top to bottom by insisting Murdoch wasn't an officer when he was. Discovery into that would have led to even further liability for Fox.

So in a position where they're likely to loving lose this case in front of a jury while also opening up further liability, I imagine settling for nearly any price was the winning move.

So it's a win for Fox in the sense that this outcome is likely better than the alternative where the trial goes forward. Fox also most likely gets to save some face by not having as much of their poo poo dragged out in public.

Fox being able to pay some money to make poo poo go away is a win for them. That's what they wanted in the first place, but balked at the price Dominion was quoting. Absent their own malfeasance they probably could have let the trial go forward and had damages knocked down significantly on appeal.

I imagine this will lead to drastically different policies about internal communication at the company and also them hiring new lawyers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is 500 million a lot of money to fox? I’m guessing not.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

There is also the Smartmatic lawsuit, but dont know when that comes to fruition.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2023-04-18/fox-news-dominion-settlement-fallout-rupert-murdochs-empire

"Beyond the $787.5-million payout to end the Dominion case, Fox now must contend with a second defamation suit filed by a rival voting machine company, Smartmatic USA, which has demanded $2.7 billion.
And Fox investors also are lining up with their own lawsuits, alleging that Rupert Murdoch and other board members were derelict in their duties by allowing Fox News to promote election lies, which harmed the network’s reputation as a news organization."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Is 500 million a lot of money to fox? I’m guessing not.

I believe their profit last year was $1.5 billion, so $787.5 million was about half that. Not a small number, but is it really a deterrent? I guess it depends on how the other lawsuits shake out, but by itself, I'm going to say no.