Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I find myself wishing fast travel were not available early and/or often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

GlyphGryph posted:

Any proposes solution should keep stuff in mind - at least some of these limitations are absolutely intentionally because they explicitly want to give reasons for people to commmunicate with each other and tell each other about things, even if that does come in the form of a guide.

I totally believe that but I also don't get the need to cultivate a community through obfuscation. Even fighting games have movelists.

Hell, over in the fighting games thread they were just discussing new player experience improvements bc the games are so impenetrable these days that it's tough to get new blood. That's what actually happens when your game is too hard for normies to get into: they don't excitedly discuss the game with each other, they just don't play it. You need to thread that needle, and ER does that in its own way (and I really like the balance they achieved) but it's not perfect and totally not weird or dumb to look at some "idiosyncracies" and be like "What is this lol"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Astrochicken posted:

I find myself wishing fast travel were not available early and/or often.
I'd love it if From made another dense and interconnected game with no need for fast travel early on but Elden Ring is definitely not that game given how huge the map is.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Subjunctive posted:

I just want a log of text so I don’t have to record my gameplay for later reference if I don’t do a quest right away. Don’t give me any more information, lest I turn even more into a scrub casual, just don’t punish me for playing the game intently instead of transcribing dialogue that might not obviously be quest related until I hear later lines.

i think this is 90% of it, and then just add in hints for all the moves, like millicent herself does later. Nothing huge, just "im heading north to Altus" or something, cause then the player knows to keep their eyes open for her.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I do think they have scaled back the obscurity of the major NPC questlines from previous games though. The Ranni and Fia questlines are both reasonably doable without a guide, and I don't think it's actually possible to lock yourself out of them (unlike in previous Dark Souls games where a bunch of random quest NPCs would just die if you progressed to a new area).

The thing with the doll at only that one site of grace was pretty loving bullshit. I only talked to it twice gently caress me right.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I think this is demonstrably false when it comes to ER. Most people who play the game will not see all of it... and that's okay!

I agree when it comes to Millicent's location in Altus, as that is a pretty egregious example, maybe the most egregious example in the game. She's posted far enough away from that grace site that you'd have to really scour the map to find her without blind luck or looking up her location. I know I didn't find her on my first playthrough. I guess where I differ when it comes to this discussion is that I think hard-to-find or even hidden content is fair play, and in a game like Elden Ring, lends itself to generating a unique experience. Let's say you really wanted to find Millicent on your first playthrough, and you put in the time to really scour the map. By the time you do find her, you've been places, you've had adventures, you come out of it having having had an experience totally unique to you. And if you don't find her, there's frustration, but you're left to wonder about the possibilities, and maybe it even spurs on to another playthrough (if you don't just go look at a wiki, that is). I find a lot of value in that design philosophy, even if a lot of players would rather just get on with it and be told exactly what the next step is.

I actually saw her there my first time around (who isn't coming across that village and checking it out? it's one of the weirdest areas in the game and you can see it stands out across Altus) but missed her in the next area because I just didn't see her lol. I also missed Rya at the lift because she blends into the wall so perfectly.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

You've been able to warp to every bonfire from the beginning since Dark Souls II - DS1 is an exception due to its tight and interconnected map, it's designed such that you never really need to backtrack until you get the Lordvessel. I'd argue Dark Souls has far fewer "time wasting" mechanics than typical RPGs and the generous fast travel system and lack of tedious horse-management mechanics is completely in-keeping with that. See also the fact that you get your main healing item refilled instantly and for free rather than having to mess around with crafting materials or merchants like you would in other games.

No Dignity posted:

It's how fast travel has worked since DS2? Limited fast travel mechanics are cool but they've not been a feature of the series for like ten years

The fact that its an open world game makes the very generous fast travel particularly noticeable even compared to the other games in the souls series. I'm talking about this as it compares to other open world games where fast travel sometimes does get treated as something with more weight than simply 'teleport here instantly' and I really do think that it marks out Elden Ring as more, uh, casual than a number of other games.

But even then, the increasing prevalence of fast travel in the series has been controversial in the past from what I remember about discussions for both DS2 and 3, and I can say myself that the most memorable moment to me in the Dark Souls series was when I managed to kill Quelaag for the first time only to realize I was trapped underneath Blighttown with the only way I knew out to be going the entire way I came in (I didn't know about the other Blighttown entrance, but even then that was a long route). That kind of :darksouls: moment really never happened to me in Elden Ring despite the massive size of the map because of the way that fast travel worked, the closest was that trap chest leading to the Caelid tunnel and even that had a grace close by to send you back.

I'm not saying this as an automatic negative because the games should be endlessly kicking you in the dick, I'm saying that its hard to deny that some of the particularly uncompromising design decisions have been considerably softened in recent times as the series progressed, another example is the way that invasions work, in Elden Ring I've had entire playthroughs where I never got invaded at all, in stark contrast to every other game, because of the tweak of the invasion mechanics made it a lot easier to pick and choose when you want to deal with another player. In previous games invaders were a much more present threat with the way that things like embering and humanity worked and it was a lot more common for a nasty invader to show up at the worst possible time to deliver another :darksouls: moment. With that in mind I don't think a fairly basic journal is ruining the experience automatically.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I agree, and would've liked to see the setpieces at least designed around that and they are to a degree, but it doesn't capture the original. Whenever I see fast travel everywhere open from the first bonfire in 2 or 3 it puts me off and seems weird and wrong, like I'm jumping between levels in a button masher versus exploring a world that is in fact built so that things like that aren't necessary and one bonfire serving whole areas thanks to shortcuts work.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I absolutely agree that it would be bad if there was a quest log that told you what to do next, but like... even if you're willing to put in the work there's often no way of getting to the next part of a character's story other than looking up what you have to do or getting lucky.

For example, in my first playthrough I like Nepheli Loux and watched her story with great interest. I saw her in the castle, then she gave me the talisman at the roundtable hold, I met her in the albinauric village... and then that's it. She never moved from there. Over the course of dozens of hours of gameplay I went back there repeatedly, interacted with every NPC as much as I could in the hopes that they would advance her story, but nothing else ever happened. I still have no idea because I don't want to look it up.

Honestly this is the last game series where I would expect to see people defending a design decision that results in the player's ability to attain the outcome they want being completely disconnected from skill or amount of effort.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Making only major/centrally located bongraces as teleport location and keep the others as refill/spawn spots might help with that in ER. Torrent is very fast after all. Might just add tedium instead though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A prayer wheel or something at the hub where you can use a semi-rare grease to turn it and choose someone's story you wish to consider, then 30 seconds of spinning later you get a hint as to where they are or what they need. Would probably be tricky in ER with the fingers going radio silent but it could work. Maybe each quest has its own macguffin that you can invest resources in, or maybe they advance the story they will reveal when you co-op other worlds where the quest has been advanced, like this thing that travels with you has been influenced by the changeable flows of time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I suppose that would give all the finger readers something do to, especially since most of the hints they do give right now are useless ("there are important things both to the east and west of me, who am sitting basically in the center of the map").

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Combine the ideas: Grease up the finger readers and spin them, when they stop they'll make a cryptic remark and one of their leg/arms will be pointed in the direction of a quest npc

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
We hear a lot of talk about how many new players have been enthralled by Elden Ring, but I haven't seen much talk from people who bounced off it. On PS5 at least, some of the mid game and later bosses have surprisingly low rates of attainment. FromGames in the past have typically had pretty large rates of in depth completion, I guess because of the audience they attract (it was interesting when Bloodborne became a PS+ monthly game and you could see the roadblocks), so it's interesting that Elden Ring's is fairly low.

I think I remember reading that most players don't actually finish games, but I think it's encouraging that I've seen no meltdowns about Elden Ring being "bullshit" or concern trolling about accessibility (which is of course a very important issue, but a separate one from skill or difficulty) like we got with Sekiro. The people who bounced off Elden Ring are out there somewhere, but they're surprisingly quiet.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I loved the Finger Readers my first time through, and still do in fact. I love how half of them are like "hell yeah burn the fuckin tree" like they've got Slayer posters all over their weird chairs despite being literal representatives of the Fingers that are presumably kept alive forever by their grace. Big "I DARE you to kill me, coward" energy from them once you put all the pieces together.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

GloomMouse posted:

Making only major/centrally located bongraces as teleport location and keep the others as refill/spawn spots might help with that in ER. Torrent is very fast after all. Might just add tedium instead though.

What's this about bong races?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I think I remember reading that most players don't actually finish games, but I think it's encouraging that I've seen no meltdowns about Elden Ring being "bullshit" or concern trolling about accessibility (which is of course a very important issue, but a separate one from skill or difficulty) like we got with Sekiro. The people who bounced off Elden Ring are out there somewhere, but they're surprisingly quiet.

People have taken issue with some aspects of the combat (ex: seemingly zero delay when they read inputs) but not to the degree of "...and that's why ER is impossible bullshit." I'd guess it's more that ER is loving huge combined with most people not finishing games.

Ariong posted:

They're going to happen in a secret Perfumer area in the DLC

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ariong posted:

You didn’t get to that part of varre’s quest?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Obtuse quests are a hook for repeat playthroughs and serve to drive player cooperation, all while taking up minimal design time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

GlyphGryph posted:

Any proposes solution should keep stuff in mind - at least some of these limitations are absolutely intentionally because they explicitly want to give reasons for people to commmunicate with each other and tell each other about things, even if that does come in the form of a guide. The social element of Elden Ring (with its rumours and possible bullshit) is core to the intended experience and that shouldn't be ignored - the intended way to bypass that element, if you wish, is through the sort of exhaustive exploration that gives you a bunch of things to then share with others.

Yeah, it's a delicate balance that they're striking here, it's kinda reminiscent of old-school CRPGs. The game world is obtuse and the quests are hard to decipher, and even though I know that eventually I'm going to just look it up, I like the idea that someone out there actually did scour every little corner of Atlus to find Millicent's new location. And if I stumble across her by accident, it feels great, like I'm rewarded for exploring rather than the game leading me there by the hand. There's an "ideal" here that people enjoy, even if they're not ever going to live up to it.

Although the one thing that definitely needs to go is having to reload the area to make the quest continue. I don't care if I have to talk with everyone 3 times in a row, but don't make me literally have to restart the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

because its a videogame. the content in a videogame is ostensibly made with the idea that most people who play the game will see it. secrets are great, hard to find content is great, but content that is only able to interacted with via luck, process of elimination, or consulting guides is not really satisfying.

Strong disagree, games built with the explicit intent that you are unlikely see significant chunks of their content are, generally, much better games (so long as they have enough funding that you still see enough content of some sort to make playing the game worth it).

Exploration based gameplay on the whole functionally requires content to be trivially missable by most of the people who play the game - that is what makes finding it special. It is also my favorite kind of gaming and you very rarely see games that even give a nod to it, even in genres like open world games where you'd think they would be a good fit (most games in the genre actively punish you for engaging in any kind of meaningful exploration). Now, very few games include any sort of real exploration gameplay because the themepark model you're arguing for here is definitely the dominant paradigm, but that doesn't mean it has to be or that games are better across the board for embracing that approach

For a game that does a really good job, I think, of tying together exploration gameplay with a quest log analog for those who don't enjoy playing that way, Outer Wilds is a great example. Their rumour map is really great and fits the game well.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 18, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I think from are typically very good at guiding the player through environments and building spaces you want to explore. I've very rarely been lost in a From game, except when it feels like From want me to be, like in sewer areas or trick catacombs. I recall I maybe missed a cave entrance in the Rotten's room in DS2 i had to look up, and that's a good record for 7 games.

But one minor complaint about Elden Ring is that I do think NPCs can get a bit lost against the busyness of the game world. I don't mind NPCs being missable, but I also don't think from intend for players to miss NPCs because they fade into the scenery (well, except for Boc, maybe...). A character standing next to a key location isn't out of the way and I think there's a difference in intent between just not seeing Millicent or Rya against the background and not knowing to talk to Ranni's doll multiple times.

Early on, lots of characters call out to you or have audio cues. Boc, Kenneth Haight, Alexander and Blaidd all make some noise, and that seems to go away. Maybe more NPCs could greet you or call out? Some kind of diegetic marker might have worked, but I'd rather stay away from big green arrows or halos or whatever.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

GlyphGryph posted:

Strong disagree, games built with the explicit intent that you are unlikely see significant chunks of their content are, generally, much better games (so long as they have enough funding that you still see enough content of some sort to make playing the game worth it).

Exploration based gameplay on the whole functionally requires content to be trivially missable by most of the people who play the game - that is what makes finding it special. It is also my favorite kind of gaming and you very rarely see games that even give a nod to it, even in genres like open world games where you'd think they would be a good fit (most games in the genre actively punish you for engaging in any kind of meaningful exploration). Now, very few games include any sort of real exploration gameplay because the themepark model you're arguing for here is definitely the dominant paradigm, but that doesn't mean it has to be or that games are better across the board for embracing that approach

I would again like to push forward the notion that there is a big gulf between "this game has secrets so you won't necessarily see all the content in one playthrough" and "this game has content that you might not see even if you know it exists and want to see it and try to find it."

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Right, and the second model is far superior to the first for some types of game experiences. "We don't intend for even an informed player with a commitment to seeing as much content as possible to experience more than about 70% of the game, ever" is a perfectly viable alternative approach depending on the actual game you are building - Disco Elysium (for a non exploration based example) doesn't have any secrets, for example, but is widely lauded as an absolutely amazing game, and a big part of that is because of its success is due to adoption of the second approach there.

The game guides you pretty strongly through the same core content every other player will experience (although it's still missable in large part if you're dedicated to being oblivious or not doing it) the same way Elden Ring does, but it also, to a far greater extent than elden ring does, locks you out of large amounts of additional both based on how you play, unrelated decisions you make, and based on random chance and often doesn't even give you any idea it's happening. And it does it wonderfully.

Again, I don't think From actually handles this as well as they could, some of its just dumb, I just think the "solutions" people propose are often even worse because they don't really understand what's fun about the way things have been done

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 18, 2023

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Gologle posted:

I think the fact that Bernahl invades you in Farum Azula shows that he also had what it takes to be The Guy, but you were just better.

Very true. Bernal got so used to camping n00bs that he forgot to finish the main quest.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ariong posted:

I would again like to push forward the notion that there is a big gulf between "this game has secrets so you won't necessarily see all the content in one playthrough" and "this game has content that you might not see even if you know it exists and want to see it and try to find it."

If you're referring to your Nepheli example from the village - and without trying to be a dick or spoil things - she hasn't moved because of, to use your own words, a lack of effort on your part. Honest, you just have to explore the area some more. It's a very straightforward trigger and her motivation is in the words she says to you when you meet, which I've spoilered below.

Oh, it's you... Well, what do you make of it? What's happened to this village?
I witnessed a sight much the same, in my infancy.
The oppression of the weak. Murder and pillage unchecked.
A waking nightmare, made by men.

But this time, I'm a woman grown.
And though the suffering cannot be undone, I can still mete out justice.
Justice to the oppressors.
Let the scars I carve remind them. I am Nepheli Loux, Warrior.

I ran through this area again last week, so it's fresh for me.

I think it's amazing how we all seem to have found the village without help in the first place! It's not even on the map, being below the plateau. Shows how well ER incentivizes exploration.

Blue w my mind that Miyazaki writes all the words himself. Dialog, descriptions, everything as I understand it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

v1ld posted:

If you're referring to your Nepheli example from the village - and without trying to be a dick or spoil things - she hasn't moved because of, to use your own words, a lack of effort on your part. Honest, you just have to explore the area some more. It's a very straightforward trigger and her motivation is in the words she says to you when you meet, which I've spoilered below.

Oh, it's you... Well, what do you make of it? What's happened to this village?
I witnessed a sight much the same, in my infancy.
The oppression of the weak. Murder and pillage unchecked.
A waking nightmare, made by men.

But this time, I'm a woman grown.
And though the suffering cannot be undone, I can still mete out justice.
Justice to the oppressors.
Let the scars I carve remind them. I am Nepheli Loux, Warrior.

I ran through this area again last week, so it's fresh for me.

I think it's amazing how we all seem to have found the village without help in the first place! It's not even on the map, being below the plateau. Shows how well ER incentivizes exploration.

Blue w my mind that Miyazaki writes all the words himself. Dialog, descriptions, everything as I understand it.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. I know this dialogue, I heard the latter segment many times over, and I explored the village pretty thoroughly I thought. What did I fail to put enough effort into?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ariong posted:

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. I know this dialogue, I heard the latter segment many times over, and I explored the village pretty thoroughly I thought. What did I fail to put enough effort into?

Did you talk to the other NPC in the village?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Ariong posted:

GlyphGryph posted:

He did not, in fact, explore thoroughly enough to find the source of a voice without obvious source.

From games are amazing because they have no fear of letting people flounder and feel dumb if/when they figure it out, unlike every other big name game developer.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ariong posted:

She wants to mete justice to the omenkiller miniboss that caused the mayhem and will move once it's dead. If you killed it, then you hit a bug.

It's easy to miss the second bridge leading to it because you get pulled into fighting the perfumer and may not notice the bridge as you go into that fight.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Most of the main roads and area features are designed so that you'll naturally encounter NPCs if they've moved to a further area. Mostly. Hyetta dodged me after the first meeting, for example. But From puts a huge amount of effort into accounting for how they think you'll see things while traveling.

That said I'm having a big chuckle at the idea that From has reluctantly been dragged into the modern day AAA casual friendly design in the same game that has

-Made it possible to miss Radahn entirely(go to the castle, clear it out, clear Leyndell and the rest of the game)
-Placidusax
-A boss that just steals 3 of your estus charges with a perfectly unavoidable attack unless you happened to get a phial drop from an invader spawn that may not trigger unless you go to the area multiple times with no clue that the area is significant for that reason
-Death Bird and Bell-Bearing Hunter spawns(Night Cav too but they're a bit more generous)
-Chariot Dungeons
-Multiple illusionary Crypts including redundant bosses to fake you out
-Fia's questline
-D's brother questline
-Goldmask questline and the secret of Radagon
-The entire sewer area in Leyndell
-The Frenzied Flame illusionary wall behind a boss behind that
-The divine tower in northern Caelid whose point of entry is "test the jumping controls, we dare you"
-Places an entire end game outdoor zone, two bosses(one being the most significant optional boss in the game), multiple dungeons and items and mini-bosses and so on behind a "press up to use the SECRET lift option" prompt
-Letting you miss about 1/2 the underground zones if you don't do Ranni's questline
-Letting you find extra puppet targets for Seluvis
-Putting a mage tower in front of you with no entry point visible in the frozen north and the only way up is to follow the natural architecture to a god drat invisible bridge a mile in length

The spirit of the double illusionary wall and Ash Lake lives on.

Disco Pope posted:

The people who bounced off Elden Ring are out there somewhere, but they're surprisingly quiet.

Anyone who declares ER is unapproachable would be encouraged to level vigor and do some further exploration, solving the problem themselves. Anyone who was determined to be a games journalist about it past that would be laughed out of the discussion. I'd never look down on anyone who chooses to do so but just the option to summon even weak spirits trivializes so many fights. Once you've got Mimic Tear out it's a bit silly to me personally, so I choose not to myself for my whole "get the first kill solo" e-bushido.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Most of the main roads and area features are designed so that you'll naturally encounter NPCs if they've moved to a further area. Mostly. Hyetta dodged me after the first meeting, for example. But From puts a huge amount of effort into accounting for how they think you'll see things while traveling.

I'll go back and take the main roads when exploring side paths just to be sure I didn't miss NPCs in obvious places.

Nice list. I think Fia handing you the map to the Black Knifeprint's location if you hug her at the right moment was quite obscure, but that dungeon is in one of the most clearly signposted map locations. A road that is long and goes nowhere. There's another hint inside that it's special beyond there being a Mausoleum Knight placed on guard in front. I love this kind of detail in all these games.

quote:

The spirit of the double illusionary wall and Ash Lake lives on.

That was their clearest statement of not being afraid of the player missing out on content which the entire industry seemed to be obsessed with. Ubisoftification was a new phase to me, but it's an apt description of how putting markers on everything can lessen the experienced.

And Ash Lake is a really consequential place lore wise.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

GlyphGryph posted:

You mean the Albinauric guy who gives you the half of the medallion that eventually opens the path to the snowy area? Yes I did.

satanic splash-back posted:

He did not, in fact, explore thoroughly enough to find the source of a voice without obvious source.

From games are amazing because they have no fear of letting people flounder and feel dumb if/when they figure it out, unlike every other big name game developer.

If you disagree with me then that's fine but there really, honestly is no need whatsoever to be a smug dick about it.

v1ld posted:

She wants to mete justice to the omenkiller miniboss that caused the mayhem and will move once it's dead. If you killed it, then you hit a bug.

It's easy to miss the second bridge leading to it because you get pulled into fighting the perfumer and may not notice the bridge as you go into that fight.

I crossed the bridge leading to the rock formation that has crystals on it and a purple item (I think it was a stonesword key, but maybe it was some talisman?) and I definitely killed all the enemies there but I don't recall exactly what enemies were over there. It didn't leave much of an impression I guess.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 19, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If you talked to the albanauric and killed the Omenkiller mini boss, the quest might actually be straight up broken at that point. Only other thing I can think of that might force it along is talking to the wolf albanauric in the cave, but that definitely shouldn't be necessary, so maybe it won't even help.

There are only two real enemies in the area, the perfumer and the Omenkille, and the second one is the only one that matters. It's the fight you can summon Nepheli herself to help with, she has a summoning sign on the ground right before you get to it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

v1ld posted:

I'll go back and take the main roads when exploring side paths just to be sure I didn't miss NPCs in obvious places.

What stood out to me the most is that the same major, on the map road on Altus where you're gonna say OH MAN I BET THOSE TREES HAVE SEEDS AROUND THEM is also where 3+ NPCs show up, including Millicent who you can then ride by to the teleporter that suggests you go check out these really weird windmills and laughing ladies. I think it's Rya(who's hidden in the ruins if you did her questline and took the Magma Wyrm path up), Goldmask, Millicent and a merchant just on one trip north.

My biggest misstep with Fia is that after I hugged her once and got a debuff for an item I never remembered to use(and didn't want to load screen twice just to get per death) I didn't hug her again later to get the whisper prompt. Just bam, From let me put that off for dozens of hours.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

v1ld posted:

And Ash Lake is a really consequential place lore wise.

Something that I think is important to note about DS1 is that the player can complete the entire game and almost entirely miss the core thematic elements of the whole series!
Its easy as sin to go through the whole game completely unaware of Kaathe or the illusory nature of Anor Londo and especially Gwynevere and interpret the game as basically just a story of a noble warrior completing the epic quest given to them by Great Chest Ahead lady and a Hapsburg worm to return a world down on its luck to a state of splendour by killing the obvious bad guys. They might think its a bit weird that the game's tone is so dark for such a perfunctory story, but for a new player it takes a massive amount of digging and acting outside of the expected norms to become aware of the reality of the world of Dark Souls and explicitly realize the underlying themes of repetitious decay and an injust system being maintained by the powerful through deceit and exploitation because they fear the oncoming change that must happen eventually and will do literally anything to prevent the status quo from being unsettled.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I don't know if I agree with ER being more casual so much as From always evolving towards a kinder world. Crystal lizards in Demons Souls were brutal. Not only did you have to kill them first try or lose that instance, their drops were a function of rng and world tendency. I still think it the most player unfriendly mechanic in any of these games ... and they dropped it right away for DS1.

(Yes, I'm salty at not getting Pure Moonstone as a drop by missing a couple lizards. On pure black tendency, after having done 80+ runs of that red skeleton in pure black to farm a Pure Bladestone. That was the first and last time I attempted a 100% completion of a game, and only because it's Game That Changed Gaming For Me.)

ER is easier to break because it's open world. I've a +11 weapon approaching Caria Manor because it's my second time through - and I haven't done any zone skips, but do know where to get the stones needed.

You can see they tried to keep enemy deadliness from getting negated too early by removing armor upgrades. Not that you can't outheal, but at least they can still hurt you.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ariong posted:

You mean the Albinauric guy who gives you the half of the medallion that eventually opens the path to the snowy area? Yes I did.

If you disagree with me then that's fine but there really, honestly is no need whatsoever to be a smug dick about it.

I crossed the bridge leading to the rock formation that has crystals on it and a purple item (I think it was a stonesword key, but maybe it was some talisman?) and I definitely killed all the enemies there but I don't recall exactly what enemies were over there. It didn't leave much of an impression I guess.

You'll know the Omen Killer when you see it, it's a minor set-piece (and it must be a homage to the Capra Demon, right?)

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The Nepheli loux quest is also busted in that it just sometimes doesn’t work. I remember that I had killed the omen killer and spoke to the weird dude, even the wolf lady in the cave and she still just said the same stuff over and over. I don’t know what the next step is but I definitely finished her quest so I think she may move due to another prompt later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

v1ld posted:

I don't know if I agree with ER being more casual so much as From always evolving towards a kinder world. Crystal lizards in Demons Souls were brutal. Not only did you have to kill them first try or lose that instance, their drops were a function of rng and world tendency. I still think it the most player unfriendly mechanic in any of these games ... and they dropped it right away for DS1.

(Yes, I'm salty at not getting Pure Moonstone as a drop by missing a couple lizards. On pure black tendency, after having done 80+ runs of that red skeleton in pure black to farm a Pure Bladestone. That was the first and last time I attempted a 100% completion of a game, and only because it's Game That Changed Gaming For Me.)

ER is easier to break because it's open world. I've a +11 weapon approaching Caria Manor because it's my second time through - and I haven't done any zone skips, but do know where to get the stones needed.

You can see they tried to keep enemy deadliness from getting negated too early by removing armor upgrades. Not that you can't outheal, but at least they can still hurt you.

Elden Ring is hard but its more, how would I put this... conventionally hard if that makes sense? Its hard because the combat is hard, a lot harder than the previous games, so its mostly down to enemies doing crazy damage and having much more difficult attack patterns than games past, but the kind of difficulty in something like DS1 and Demon's Souls is more 'meta', things like the heavy blows that missing a crystal Lizard mean, as you mention here, or what I was talking about earlier with things like how the fast travel mechanics worked in DS1, or the way in which the curse mechanic worked (absolutely brutal for new players). Elden Ring has a lot less of these kinds of more broad mechanics that can seriously gently caress over the player from a more zoomed out perspective, as others have noted even in the NPC quests there are a lot less instances of the player getting screwed out of progression because of things like missing a critical action in a certain timeframe, its more pure combat difficulty in a more easy to digest kind of way.