Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like the QKD-5A Quickdraw. It's essentially a Jenner with lower ground speed but equal or more of everything else.

I've never used any of the really high tech variants but the QKD-9M for instance looks pretty alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, they’ve just been adding new stuff under the Bonuses section rather than altering the initial distribution in the pledge levels.

I want one of each of the vehicle packs (Minus the 6 million level unlocked one) except for the objectives pack, just one of those, clan cavalry, clan direct fire, inner sphere recon, legendary III (just for all the cool sculpts and Lok II), not sure what to get for my 12th force pack, maybe Legendaries II for the SM1 tank at CGL scale. Always liked Mikel Nova Cat in the clix game.

Broke past 6 mil and climbing quick, we might be seeing the tail end of a kickstarter bump.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ideally I’ll get one of every forcepack and if we hit 7 mil, then two packs of vehicles. I know I’m not saving any money doing this, but it’s roughly equivalent to what it would cost via Fortress given all the bonuses.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm personally really looking forward to the Clint. It's one of my all-around favorite terrible 'Mechs.
A friend of mine has a variant he dubbed "the Eastwood" which is just a CLNT-2-3U that had the IS ERPPC replaced with a Clan one. It works about as well as anything small with a CERPPC does.

a cyborg mug posted:

I’m gonna toot my own horn a bit

I mentioned earlier that I was planning on making papercraft hex hills. Problem was I was on vacation, didn’t have access to my computer and I don’t have a printer at home anyway, so I had to wait until I got back home and to work to realize my idea. Here are my first prototype desert hills.

Plenty of stuff to tweak of course, generally little things I didn’t think of until I had to actually cut out and glue the things together (like a lot of white showing between the seams). But I think they honestly look decent and work great, especially with double-sided tape or blu tack on the bottom to keep them from moving around, as I printed this out on regular office paper. Have to say I’m pleased with them, it’s my first time trying to make something like this.

I intend to release them online for free when I’m pleased with the product. Maybe make some variations for different map types too. What do y’all think, if something like this was available, would you print them out and try them?
Just realised what'd be really fun with this sort of thing is the movable walls for the Coliseum. If you cover them in ads for space beer and new PPCs and have options for all the heights that'd be amazing.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 17, 2023

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Deliberately playing poo poo mechs and using drop tonnage instead of BV to deliberately unbalance the game is actually a lot of fun.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I love all the bad mechs, though some have pretty loving terrifying (if impractical) 3151 variants, like the Charger. You got an 80 ton mech capable of moving 13 (!) hexes with MASC and Supercharger, mounting plenty of Ferro Lamellor armor (for a 20% reduction in damage), and armed with 4 Imp Heavy Mediums, with an ECM and a Probe to boot.

The Assassin though is and always will be atrocious though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Is calling someone an "Assassin pilot" akin to accusing someone of having a small dick in universe?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Is calling someone an "Assassin pilot" akin to accusing someone of having a small dick in universe?

Now I’m imagining it being like “dawww you’re a Prius driver ☺️” coming from a truckbro, so maybe? :laffo:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Endman posted:

Deliberately playing poo poo mechs and using drop tonnage instead of BV to deliberately unbalance the game is actually a lot of fun.

This is literally how everyone actually played it for the first decade

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

GD_American posted:

This is literally how everyone actually played it for the first decade

And they were right to do so

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I know the fiction's all over the place, but everyone talks about how rare mech sightings are for the standard person in the universe. Poking around Sarna, specific numbers of produced mechs aren't often listed, but I found a few.

Stinger lists production numbers https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Stinger: 200,000 produced by 2780, down to 5,000 in 3059. The Stinger is listed as the second most produced mech in that time period.

The Clint https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clint lists itself as difficult to maintain and built to fall apart, with only 300 Clints built by 2812 when the Andoran factory that built them was destroyed (but the next paragraph says the total number is unknown), which is also listed as having ended the production of spare parts for them. There were 200 Clints left by 3049 (which is either way too high if the 300 number is correct considering the maintenance difficulties, or way more were built)

Sarna also lists there being roughly 2,000 inhabited planets in the inner sphere. So that probably tracks with the concept that mech sightings would be fairly rare, but not unheard of. Like the average person living their life on a random backwoods inner sphere planet would probably know what mechs are and seen some media portraying them, but probably never see one, at least in the early 3000s before the clan invasion.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The real power in-universe is AeroSpace fighters. They have somewhere between ten and fifty times the range with the same weapons systems and there is gently caress-all anything on the ground can do against them unless it gets really lucky or they linger in the airspace for too long. BattleMechs are just a polite fiction everyone decided to buy into after the 2nd succession war when nuking each other became less palatable.

For all the Clans get trashed for their batchalls, the rest of the Inner Sphere is already basically doing the same thing.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

The real power in-universe is AeroSpace fighters. They have somewhere between ten and fifty times the range with the same weapons systems and there is gently caress-all anything on the ground can do against them unless it gets really lucky or they linger in the airspace for too long. BattleMechs are just a polite fiction everyone decided to buy into after the 2nd succession war when nuking each other became less palatable.

For all the Clans get trashed for their batchalls, the rest of the Inner Sphere is already basically doing the same thing.

i mean yeah. it's another lore thing that falls apart immediately if you begin to examine it logically. you expect me to believe that a faction of rebels or w/e that's fighting for its existence is just gonna let mechs slowly walk up and blow up their bases instead of just blasting them from half a world away with BVR ballistic (non nuke) weapons and poo poo? mechs would be so easy to kill if it really mattered to a side going for broke with no holds barred, even within the mechanical constraints of the universe, instead of having a stand up honourable fight or whatever

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

you expect me to believe that a faction of rebels or w/e that's fighting for its existence is just gonna let mechs slowly walk up and blow up their bases instead of just blasting them from half a world away with BVR ballistic (non nuke) weapons and poo poo?

And there is precisely gently caress-all they can do about AeroSpace assets even after the big space warships stop being a thing. Atmospheric fighters are like WWI biplanes trying to fight F-35s in comparison to an AeroSpace Fighter. It doesn't matter if you can reliably hit Mach 5 if your target can just pop out of the atmosphere and hit a target on the other side of the planet two minutes from now and then come back and strike you on the ground after you've run out of fuel. BattleMechs secure spaceports, airfields, and anything else the politicians feel is relevent and intimidate the civilians. AeroSpace assets do all the real work while that's happening.

The real reason House Kurita did so well, so consistently during the succession wars is because while their noble samurai sons were off getting themselves killed on the ground is because they just had a better combination of fighters than their neighbors.

The reasons the Capellans did poorly is because they straight-up had a worse combination of fighters than their neighbors.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This is even borne out by the rules. Sure any aerospace fighter trying to make a bombing run is risking a control roll and lawndarting from a lucky AC2 hit, but if you don't get that golden BB then it just dropped thermobarics on your formation and you don't have any mechs anymore. Even if you do get that BB the second fighter just drops its load and tootles back to orbit to reload anyway.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Trying to pick out force packs. I don't know that much about mechs, but I do want the battle&fire or assault&cavalry tank pack. Other than that I only know 1 or 2 of the mechs in each pack.

The clan stars seem cool, even if the cavalry one has 3 variants in the agoac box, and the legendary pack 3 has marauders and a timber wolf which seems like a really cool mech too. The inner sphere security Lance has some real fun mechs in it.

If I've got the agoac box now and want to expand which packs would be good to get? I'm sort of basing my choices off poptarts' posts and what mechs I thought were neat in the HBS game.

I will probably never paint these.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Get the ones you think look cool. If you ever do feel like trying to paint, painting things you're excited about having/owning is always nice.

Pretty much all of the 'Mechs in the packs will have new art available that will look like their physical models. I'll go ahead and link a few of my favorites. If I link most of the 'Mechs in a forcepack it's probably a real winner, visually.

Clan Cavalry Star - Black Python, Shadow Hawk IIC, Griffin IIC, Locust IIC, Jenner IIC

Clan Direct Fire Star - Kraken, Highlander IIC, Phoenix Hawk IIC, Grizzly, Rifleman IIC

Inner Sphere Assault Lance - Pillager, Goliath, Shogun, Hoplite

Inner Sphere Heavy Recon - Charger, Ostroc, Merlin, Assassin

Inner Sphere Pursuit Lance - Dervish, Cicada, Clint, Hermes II

Inner Sphere Recon Lance - Firestarter, Ostscout, Spector, Javelin

Inner Sphere Security Lance - JagerMech, Scorpion, Vulcan, Whitworth
- New art for the JagerMech isn't up on Sarna yet but it's really good.

Legendary Mechwarriors II - SM1 Tank Destroyer, Devastator, Charger, Marauder, Caesar

Legendary Mechwarriors III: Bounty Hunter Pack - Marauder, Warhammer, Timber Wolf W, Loki Mk II Prime, Marauder II
- Marauders, Warhammers, and Timber Wolves always look good so I'm only linking the Loki Mk. II. It's also a good looking 'Mech. It should be noted that the Timber Wolf W is armed with a UAC/20 and SRMs, so it's going to have a bit different profile than usual.

Somerset Strikers - Axman, Mauler, Bushwacker, Hatamoto-Chi, Wolfhound
- New art for the Mauler and Hatamoto-Chi isn't done yet, but the Mauler's pretty neat looking even if it isn't very good. The Hatamoto Chi is a Charger with a samurai hat.

I'm personally most excited for the Clan Direct Fire Star and the Inner Sphere Recon Lance, but I don't think there are any packs with any particularly bad-looking 'Mechs either.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 18, 2023

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'm looking forward to the pursuit lance so I can add a Cicada and a Clint to my Capellans

Only 'Mechs of the highest quality for my lances :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Every single one of that Clint's parts was artisnally handcrafted by Andoran Industries Ltd. Why, the Clint's bespoke, custom hand-tooled gyro alone is worth its weight in gold!

Endman
May 18, 2010

I assure you that while it may look intimidating, the Clint extended warranty and service subscription is more than worth it

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Every single one of that Clint's parts was artisnally handcrafted by Andoran Industries Ltd. Why, the Clint's bespoke, custom hand-tooled gyro alone is worth its weight in gold!

That price checks out. In a universe with FTL travel and multiple options for sub-light travel and asteroid mining, gold has to be pretty low value. It's estimated that even a small, 10 meter asteroid can contain as much as 50 kg of metals like platinum and gold.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ilmucche posted:

The clan stars seem cool, even if the cavalry one has 3 variants in the agoac box,
Just to be clear, this is not accurate. They're totally different chassis that are basically higher tech designs that are derived from the originals but with so much development distance that they are completely incompable. Some of the IIC mechs are a full thirty five tons heavier than their Inner Sphere namesakes.

That box is one I'm grabbing because every mech in it has at least one really good variant and they've usually had only mediocre to terrible figures made in the past.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Just clicked on the Phoenix Hawk IIC and had no idea it was a loving assault mech. That's hilarious.

I always liked the design of the 4L myself. Give me more Greek helmet looking heads.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Atlas Hugged posted:

Just clicked on the Phoenix Hawk IIC and had no idea it was a loving assault mech. That's hilarious.

I always liked the design of the 4L myself. Give me more Greek helmet looking heads.

Imagine the thoughts going through the heads of all the Inner Sphere powers that the Sea Foxes market that PXH IIC to. "Has a movement profile like a 55-ton medium 'Mech, yet outweighs it and is armored like a high-end heavy, and can potentially outgun an Awesome? Sounds too good to be true!"

A lot of Project Phoenix (and Republic-era/Dark Age) versions of the Classics are grossly underrated in appearance. Check out the Shadow Hawk from that era as well, it's got the same full helmet head.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 19, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

a cyborg mug posted:

Am I weird because I’m specifically drawn to the bad mechs. I want basically all of the ones you shat on

Only if they don't look cool

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, it was the result of a real-world fuckup. TRO: 3055 was not even really proofread before it went to press, that's how the Grand Titan came out almost ten tons overweight.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The designer of the 3055 Clan 'Mechs originally had only the names to work off of, and the Phoenix Hawk IIC was originally called "Matador." So while most of the other IICs ended up with some resemblance to the original, there's actually a good reason why that one in particular had no resemblance - because it was never supposed to be related to the Phoenix Hawk to begin with.

Also she was big into the Solaris rules at the time so a bunch of the weapon choices reflected what would have been good under those rules, which is why for instance machine guns feature so heavily.

edit: Designer was Ashley Watkins: https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ashley_Watkins

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

that's how the Grand Titan came out almost ten tons overweight.

Bolt Gundam Optimus Prime isn't fat, it just has thick actuators. :colbert:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No way! I had no idea that Paint it Pink was involved in writing stuff for BattleTech somehow. I used to be commenting on the same random UK wargamer blogs as her in the long ago. Was hoping to run into a bunch of that crowd at Salute this weekend.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Is there a Feldherr or whatever minis holder that fits in the box sets? I got this but it doesn't fully fit. This is probably on me for not actually checking the sizes though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dreamsicle posted:

Is there a Feldherr or whatever minis holder that fits in the box sets? I got this but it doesn't fully fit. This is probably on me for not actually checking the sizes though.

Yeah

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Thanks for the big post poptarts. I ended up going in at battalion level because I wanted extra minis and have poor impulse control :doh:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sure looks like they’re not hitting $7M

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Probably not, but at least I can order five boxes of Patton tanks now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

gonna pledge 1.2 million dollars in exchange for a teir that has them write in a starring role for my self insert who's braver and more cunning than alexandr kerensky and sexier than Natasha kerensky

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Owlbear Camus posted:

gonna pledge 1.2 million dollars in exchange for a teir that has them write in a starring role for my self insert who's braver and more cunning than alexandr kerensky and sexier than Natasha kerensky

Whoa, it's nice to meet you, creator of Cranston Snord

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Owlbear Camus posted:

The pro move is to get them to pay you to write stuff you want to exist in canon. It's what I did. Got to invent my own holiday.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Sure looks like they’re not hitting $7M

It's jumped up 200-250k each of the last two days, and will probably break 6,600,000 tonight, I'd be shocked if it wasn't about 7 million by the end.

Hell, it jumped up 100,000 since I checked it before dinner, 2 hours ago.

EDIT: Put in some faction dice for the Republic of the Sphere. Trying to get my buddy to realize he can finally, FINALLY, get some cheap CJF dice now.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 20, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Eh, they got twenty bucks more out of me. Need some new Steiner dice anyway, the ones I got from the last KS got cursed or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Atlas Hugged posted:

IMO the "real" Phoenix Hawk IIC is the Vapor Eagle