Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The good thing is that a ton of the "dev" in this game at this point is tweaking JSON files. So if something irritates you, just tweak your own JSON files and play the game the way you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
In less dumb news, a new mod got bundled with the most recent experimental versions called BombasticPerks. It gives you Fallout-style perks when you get a certain amount of XP.

I chose bloody mess and then walked outside of the mall I'm exploring. That's something like 40 zombies painting the outside red.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Skill rust is such a non-issue (and actively beneficial most of the time) that it's really weird to me that some people seem to dislike it so much

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

RabidWeasel posted:

Skill rust is such a non-issue (and actively beneficial most of the time) that it's really weird to me that some people seem to dislike it so much

Seems like something people have different opinions on, have they considered making it optional so everyone can play the way they want to?????

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

DoubleNegative posted:

In less dumb news, a new mod got bundled with the most recent experimental versions called BombasticPerks. It gives you Fallout-style perks when you get a certain amount of XP.

I chose bloody mess and then walked outside of the mall I'm exploring. That's something like 40 zombies painting the outside red.

Idk, that seems pretty dumb, just in an excellent way.

What other mods would people recommend checking out?

Griz
May 21, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Very little, as your theoretical skills do not deteriorate and it is thus trivial to get back skill levels.

I'm surprised they haven't nerfed that yet since it only takes like 2 hours of practice actions to get practical skill from 1 to 3.

there's also a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense, like how I can spend a week chopping logs but my athletics skill will slowly decrease unless I spend 5 minutes a day on the treadmill.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Imagine it's the first day of summer in Massachusetts, and it's an average 75 degrees F. You're completely naked in open air - save for your steeltoed boots and your whitey tighties. After a few hours of reading, you become dehydrated. You chug a gallon of water and somehow don't explode or get water drunk. A few hours later of reading and you're ready to chug another gallon of water. It's all you can do to survive this goddamn heat wave.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Time to plug in your iPhone into the dark ops uranium powered man portable uninterruptible power supply and change the AA cell battery in your modified laptop

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Don't forget that the instant your food digests you're very hungry again, at all times, at all hours.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

It sounds like an extremely annoying and stupid addition, and probably would be if it were mechanically significant, so I imagine a lot of people turn it off just because of that.

Like many parts of the game it is a terrible idea which is saved only by an equally terrible implementation, canceling it out into net irrelevancy. Much like vitamin deficiency, which serves only to create a mild annoyance as you have to remember to down three vitamin pills a day which you find in vast quantities if you bother to collect them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

skill rust is bullshit in real life and its bullshit in games

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

Synthbuttrange posted:

skill rust is bullshit in real life and its bullshit in games

You can easily get out of practice with a language or instrument for example, or become a rusty shot with a firearm. If anything the biggest issue with skill rust is the speed in Cataclysm; that period is abbreviated for temporal relevance and gameplay reasons, but that's also why it arguably just shouldn't be a thing to begin with in-game.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Maenad posted:

You can easily get out of practice with a language or instrument for example, or become a rusty shot with a firearm

I can easily poo poo my pants from taking a strong dose of antibiotics too, but that's not in the game. Where's my pants-making GBS threads, Kevin? I've got a Fragile, Bad Temper, martial artist build called "CM Punk" that's missing a certain je ne sais quoi.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

luchadornado posted:

I can easily poo poo my pants from taking a strong dose of antibiotics too, but that's not in the game. Where's my pants-making GBS threads, Kevin? I've got a Fragile, Bad Temper, martial artist build called "CM Punk" that's missing a certain je ne sais quoi.

I mean I literally just said it's warped and game-y. and not very well thought out if it's meant to emulate reality; but the idea our skills don't decay in real life just isn't true. It's the timescale of such a decay in real life that makes any claim to realism TM an irrelevance.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

This project is amazing for simultaneously being a game and a grognard simulator and failing at both. can't wait until kevin decides to measure all liquids in teaspoons and removes all UI settings for unit measurement since the game canonically takes place in america

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Maenad posted:

I mean I literally just said it's warped and game-y. and not very well thought out if it's meant to emulate reality; but the idea our skills don't decay in real life just isn't true. It's the timescale of such a decay in real life that makes any claim to realism TM an irrelevance.

I'm not arguing, I just wanted to make fun of CM Punk.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

DoubleNegative posted:

Also a fair warning to posters: in a change made to an experimental build last week, Kevin made it impossible to turn off skill decay and skill rust.

Cataclysm: We Need to Talk About Kevin

Griz
May 21, 2001

experimental just got an update that half-asses the partial skill level issue by switching it to round instead of truncate

still dumb but at least now you don't have to retrain until it hits .5 instead of having to constantly top off your skills

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

There's also a PR in the works to add default settings for pockets, which might finally resolve the issue where you end up shoving everything inside random plastic bags

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

RabidWeasel posted:

There's also a PR in the works to add default settings for pockets, which might finally resolve the issue where you end up shoving everything inside random plastic bags

Any idea how setup would work? Sounds kinda huge if executed properly.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Maenad posted:

Any idea how setup would work? Sounds kinda huge if executed properly.

I think they're still deciding on the specifics but even just "always use a large bag if worn" would be a huge improvement

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

RabidWeasel posted:

I think they're still deciding on the specifics but even just "always use a large bag if worn" would be a huge improvement

That's already in there pretty much by just setting your large bag as max priority currently. When you start finding stuff shoved in random bottles and crap with that set it means your were out of space in your bag and it overflowed to wherever it could still fit.

But yeah, being able to set stuff up so your not always setting your pocket settings around the unchangeable default would be nice. Just being able to blanket set new containers as lowest priority would go a long way.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
https://github.com/John-Candlebury/CDDA-Minimods/releases/tag/norustV1.0

Here is a mod (for experimental only) which removes skill rust. It's made by the dev who did a lot of Hub-01 as well as some of the best fanart for the game.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Jawnycat posted:

That's already in there pretty much by just setting your large bag as max priority currently. When you start finding stuff shoved in random bottles and crap with that set it means your were out of space in your bag and it overflowed to wherever it could still fit.

But yeah, being able to set stuff up so your not always setting your pocket settings around the unchangeable default would be nice. Just being able to blanket set new containers as lowest priority would go a long way.

Hell, just make it so some containers (bottles, small plastic bags, small cardboard boxes) are set so you can only put things into them by the Insert command. After all, if their goal is 'realism,' then why is it my survivor is hastily pulling out a half-empty sleeve of Pop-Tarts (which was already jammed into a shirt pocket inside of a side pocket of my bag) to jam three bullets into it when I scavenge ammo?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Mountain Lightning posted:

Hell, just make it so some containers (bottles, small plastic bags, small cardboard boxes) are set so you can only put things into them by the Insert command. After all, if their goal is 'realism,' then why is it my survivor is hastily pulling out a half-empty sleeve of Pop-Tarts (which was already jammed into a shirt pocket inside of a side pocket of my bag) to jam three bullets into it when I scavenge ammo?

Being a pedant for a moment to satisfy my brainworms, I apologize.

I can tell you mechanically why at least, afaik, the poptart box counts as a rigid body, so empty or full it takes up the same amount of space, so the game wants to fill that poo poo up to maximize your carry volume. It doesn't care how deeply burried stuff is, it's looking for any void space it can fill that can fit the item inside. When your already packed to the gills, this tends to result in small poo poo getting shoved into increasingly esoteric places to ensure you can keep picking more crap up. Every bullet filled water bottle is a water bottle worth of bullets you wouldn't have been able to carry otherwise in this system, at least when it's working properly and you've set a dump bag to max priority; your trading capacity for organization, and this only kicks in once you'd otherwise be full up. I'm also not sure how it calculates stuff with soft body containers, but I assume a fullwrapper+shitinsideit is technically smaller than an emptywrapper+sameshitoutsideit.

I tend to feel allot of the hate towards pockets comes from not understanding this. But my brainworms are also obsessed with over complicated systems so I have a hell of a positive bias. But yeah, small containers should probably be set to insert only to just, avoid confusion and organization hell.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Learning you can open a 'hidden' container with > and just unload bullets and things into your inventory that way has changed everything for me.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Learning you can open a 'hidden' container with > and just unload bullets and things into your inventory that way has changed everything for me.

Yes! Thanks to Worm Girl's LP for teaching me this. Also, I bound the "Unload Container" command to F5 (picked that one from Vormithrax I think?). Now when I down a bunch of zombos, I drag their bodies in a pile and use F5 to unload all their poo poo into an adjacent tile for easy investigating. This netted me 7 Military ID's from a helipad I otherwise would have missed. Highly recommend.

Also, while I agree that basements are usually cooler than the rest of the house during summer, I feel like I shouldn't be "chilly" down there wearing jeans, a long shirt, a fully loaded plate carrier, gloves, socks, helmet, and sneakers. Normal house basements should be a touch chilly but otherwise comfortable.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 19, 2023

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Does it add to the draw time if you want to pull out something that's nested in three containers? I mean, I know sheaths and the like are quicker for drawing weapons and so on, but I've never really noticed any time delay on applying or eating something.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio

Wolfechu posted:

Does it add to the draw time if you want to pull out something that's nested in three containers? I mean, I know sheaths and the like are quicker for drawing weapons and so on, but I've never really noticed any time delay on applying or eating something.

I would think so? Don't they all have their own "base moves to remove item" value? Would allow some pretty dramatic cheesing if you could warp or avoid that through nested containers.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I will never tire of how wild the loot tables for the finale rooms of the old labs can be....so what do I do with 46 mini nukes?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

I will never tire of how wild the loot tables for the finale rooms of the old labs can be....so what do I do with 46 mini nukes?

Dig a canal?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Break'em down and make a whole bunch of atomic cellphones to light the house with?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Give them to Dinosaur Dave

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Save them for when I eventually release my post-endgame content mod because you'll need at least that many, possibly many more to beat it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The boring but sensible answer is that I'll probably scrap most of them to get plutonium cells but hey I might blow up an acid ant nest or a mi-go tower too. You can cobble a remote detonator to them, right?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Is this that game where they stripped out all the fun bits to make it more REALISTIC and HARDCORE?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

You say that like managing your diet and the contents of your dozen pockets isn't fun.

Which is to say yes, it is that game.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Fivemarks posted:

Is this that game where they stripped out all the fun bits to make it more REALISTIC and HARDCORE?

No, you're thinking of (insert any open source game maintained by dorks)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fivemarks posted:

My current character is a cybernetic ninja who feasts on the electroclytes of foes so there's still some fun to be had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I was just about to say "What, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup?"