Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Potassium Problems posted:

I think the x5 dungeons are where you start seeing upgrades to the x0 poetic gear

ie 85 dungeon will have gear drops to replace 80 poetic gear

It's not by a lot though, just 6 item levels at x5 and 12 at x7. The x6 crafted stuff is 9 ilvl, x8 is 15.

The x6/x7/x8 stuff is a decent upgrade if you get most of it, but there's not really a huge need unless you're a tank leveling through dungeons. And if you are, use what you get from running the x5 dungeon a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Firebert posted:

Removing gear is a terrible idea. There are a lot of people who prog + clear savage that would not be able to do it in week one crafted gear. Having close to a 20 lvl boost lets a lot of casual statics and pf groups cross the finish line. The last thing they should do is lower participation in raids.

Also I just enjoy getting power boosts throughout the expansion from gear upgrades. I don't do difficult content so that part wouldn't affect me, but it makes it more exciting when I get to see number go up. Acquiring the gear I actually need to do my casual content is trivial, so it never gets in my way or prevents me from doing what I want to do. It's just a nice little bonus.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Thundarr posted:

I'd be cool with replacing the current gear substats with something that lets you make actually interesting choices. The problem is that virtually any time you ask a game dev to create interesting substat choices the result is a big stupid mess and one of them ends up being the superior / only correct choice anyway.

yeah I would be very interested in hearing about any MMOs that made room for any actual substat decisions and not "because you have x class/build, you want y substat". Obviously part of the problem is that games are more "solved" now but my understanding is that most MMOs have an "always max crit" type problem

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the devs don't want to add unique effects to gearing which I can appreciate, but that's also why stuff like eureka and bozja are excellent cause it does just let them throw poo poo at the wall and the only downside was they were cowards in only giving bozjan gear haste+.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Vikar Jerome posted:

Which is the better/funner/good story ranged dps job to play? Im trying to decide between bard and machinist, both are 34/30 (im doing this mainly for ew role quests tbh, paladin/monk mains already at 90 and red mage/sage about to hit it) havent really played around with machinst outside the starting quest like 600 hours ago but i did start the game with archer, cant remember why i switched. Probably glams.

I could do dancer i guess, would be faster hitting 90 but nothing is really grabbing me for that just yet
Hello! Current Dancer and Machinist main here, former Bard main. My thoughts on them:
-Bard: I stopped playing it because my brain doesn't like the RNG aspects of it while also trying to do hard content but it's a fine job overall. The job quests past ARR are very good imo. I hope the devs let the boys kiss someday.
-Machinist: No RNG and you get to use Drill every ~20 seconds. It's great! It's one of the most active jobs as far as how many buttons you press which could be good or bad. It's a good thing for me; I love pressing buttons all the time. The quests are good all around.
-Dancer: Has RNG but it comes at a much slower pace than Bard, at least for my brain. I didn't feel too attached to the job quests overall but it does hint at what we later find out is dynamis.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bard -- Some people say it feels frantic, I find it the opposite. Really depends how you can slot into watching dot timers and hitting semi-random procs. Fitting the job, I feel it as a waltz rhythm (GCD, of, off, GCD, off, off) so I'm always just looking for the next button to hit with the beat instead of trying to do everything at once. The timers can be frantic at first but they all land at the same time so as things fill out it turns into "I hit this button after I hit a new song, then don't worry until the next song" with some places to optimize as that adjusts. The main flaw is that it doesn't really have a punchy skill, something that feels great to press. Apex Arrow does some of that but if you're the type to watch numbers it's not going to be big numbers, just a steady stream of them.

Machinist -- In contrast, this job is pretty much all punch (not as much as Summoner, but compared to Bard). Once you hit Drill you'll know, and you get to hit that button all the freaking time. I never really got used to the rhythm of this one, though there aren't random procs to worry about it feels VERY busy to me, and there's one phase where your GCD gets a second shorter and you're just hammering shots. My brother loves it, hasn't clicked for me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The cool thing about drill is you basically get 3 different ones at 90 and 2 reassembles(auto-crits) and it feels so loving good to use.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thundarr posted:

The problem is that virtually any time you ask a game dev to create interesting substat choices the result is a big stupid mess and one of them ends up being the superior / only correct choice anyway.

That's because "interesting" is a really bad euphemism for unbalanced.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Electric Phantasm posted:

The cool thing about drill is you basically get 3 different ones at 90 and 2 reassembles(auto-crits) and it feels so loving good to use.

Yeah, Reassemble + Big oGCD is maybe the most fun two-button combo in this game. I really don't know much about high-end MCH balance, but the class is just great fun to play.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kyrosiris posted:

That's because "interesting" is a really bad euphemism for unbalanced.

Pretty much. The most "interesting" thing with WoW gearing, for example, was always tier sets and trinkets. Both were often either "best thing ever" or "everyone complains because it isn't useful." And no one feels good when you get the gear with the meh bonus while the other class gets the best upgrade ever.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mordiceius posted:

I guess that's true. Well, one side benefit would be that if every level had set stats, people couldn't cheese the alliance roulette to get CT by taking off all their gear.

That alone is a powerful argument for removing stats from gear. lol

If I couldn't avoid queueing into Tower at Paradigm's Breach by tanking my item level I would never touch the alliance roulette again. I don't particularity want to take a thirty minutes timeout just because I queued into a raid that gives me eyestrain and a throbbing headache.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

Thinking on this more, I wonder how it would actually go in practice. Sure, you could never "out-gear" a fight, but also, you would never have to worry about people in your group being undergeared.

It would probably be easier to balance encounters if you could guarantee that everyone had stats to a certain level.

Encounters would get easier over time just from people learning the fights and repetition, but we wouldn't see the situation where the first tier of the 24man raid is a 20 minute stomp by the end of the expansion.

idk. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. I do think it's an interesting thought experiment though.

I'm probably the wrong person to give my opinion on gear grinds anyway since I don't do gear grinds. I grind for glams and triple triad cards, but never for gear. I never cap my tomestones. I just buy crafted gear to patch up holes in my equipment.

Gearing up for a new tier is genuinely not a problem if you have 1 crafter in a raid group( and usually we lifer weirdos at least dip out toes into it) or just throw Gil at it which is easy enough because what else is there to spend cash on in this game? They always release a new crafted tier of gear alongside the raid that usually equals the normal mod drops between the two it's easy. Getting ready for a new tier, especially if you clear out the last tier for the whole group, isn't the hard part.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So don't roulette. I don't mean that sarcastically, I'm being 100% straight up that you should stop. If you want the thrill of not knowing what you'll get, just queue for 5 of your favorites. If you want the tomes, then suck it up and play anything that's available to you because the point of the tomes is incentive to HELP OTHER PEOPLE, not yourself

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Mordiceius posted:

Pretty much. The most "interesting" thing with WoW gearing, for example, was always tier sets and trinkets. Both were often either "best thing ever" or "everyone complains because it isn't useful." And no one feels good when you get the gear with the meh bonus while the other class gets the best upgrade ever.

And likewise when your class/spec peaked on the best tier bonus early to midway through an expansion.

I remember Shaman getting a starting tier set bonus that was so weak that it was actually mathed out that you would do more DPS with the 2-piece bonus from the last raid of the previous expansion.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i'm endlessly stoked that i don't have to tool around with set bonuses and trinkets in this game

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Gearing up for a new tier is genuinely not a problem if you have 1 crafter in a raid group( and usually we lifer weirdos at least dip out toes into it) or just throw Gil at it which is easy enough because what else is there to spend cash on in this game? They always release a new crafted tier of gear alongside the raid that usually equals the normal mod drops between the two it's easy. Getting ready for a new tier, especially if you clear out the last tier for the whole group, isn't the hard part.

I guess my question is this - how would things change meaningfully if gear no longer had stats? I'm not trying to be flippant or start an argument, I'm just enjoying the discussion of this thought exercise.

What if the only thing that increased player power was job level? How would that impact the game?

Or, what if we did a compromise - every odd number patch, we increase the stats/power level of max level players by 10% or something like that.

idk. Maybe I'm just too casual of a player nowadays.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The point of ilvl with differentiated stats is twofold: it provides a clear endpoint goal for players to progress to via gameplay (achieving the best ilvl with BiS stats), and it provides an incremental feeling of power progression for people who care about that sort of thing (e.g. watching your parse percentile slowly go up over the course of a raid tier due to a combination of practice and equipment). It's obviously fine to not be especially driven by either one, but, considering that RPG-style statistical progression has completely broken out of the genre and is in drat near every genre out there nowadays, there's clearly a substantial number of players who enjoy it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

I guess my question is this - how would things change meaningfully if gear no longer had stats? I'm not trying to be flippant or start an argument, I'm just enjoying the discussion of this thought exercise.

What if the only thing that increased player power was job level? How would that impact the game?

Or, what if we did a compromise - every odd number patch, we increase the stats/power level of max level players by 10% or something like that.

idk. Maybe I'm just too casual of a player nowadays.

It's at least twofold. There is a nice progression you feel as your stats increase. It's nice getting stronger as you progress and complete things in weekly increments.

And some people are motivated by the reward. Look at the amount of people that grind out relics or jobs they hate because they want the reward for it. They get enjoyment from getting upgrades.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 19, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

And some people are motivated by the reward. Look at the amount of people that grind out relics or jobs they hate because they want the reward for it. They get enjoyment from getting upgrades.

I mean, it's impossible to know, but I wonder what percentage of people are only grinding out relics to get the glam. I mean, look how many people still work on old relics - and those are not going to increase player power. I suspect more people pursue relics for the glam than they do for stats.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, it's impossible to know, but I wonder what percentage of people are only grinding out relics to get the glam. I mean, look how many people still work on old relics - and those are not going to increase player power. I suspect more people pursue relics for the glam than they do for stats.

the stats on relics aren't even BIS until the final step anyway i think. so anyone doing relics now is either a) doing it for glam, because it's old content or current non-BIS content (and they want the future glam), or b) doing it for an easy ilvl 630 weapon (which is not best in slot but still pretty good)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's at least twofold. There is a nice progression you feel as your stats increase. It's nice getting stronger as you progress and complete things in weekly increments.

I think it's cool how just casually doable relics have been as a side gig in ShB and EW. If you're just Doing Stuff at cap or in Bozja you'll build out relics. StB is kinda the same but you're locked in to Eureka to progress, and for HW you have to be on that job to get progress.

Meanwhile I can just pound out frontlines matches on BLM for a night and come out the other end with a 90 relic for some job I don't play like samurai.

e: https://twitter.com/HiMA_wari1221/status/1648333510418239488

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 19, 2023

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The problem with having stats that are technically differentiated but really don't change anything about your play outside of very specific ones (skill/spell speed, piety) means that getting your best-in-slot gear feels really anemic if you already have gear of the same ilvl. Going from 610 crafted gear to a 630 raid drop gives you a massive boost to your damage and survivability, but switching between 630 pieces in order to swap 50 direct hit for 50 crit hit gives you a bump of a fraction of a percent.

When I finally got my p8s chest piece after eight clears, I'd long since bought an augmented tome chest, so the only thing I really celebrated was that I was done with the fight. In fact, I was so checked out that I completely forgot to update my gear set after equipping it, and my damage was still good enough that I didn't even notice! It took over a month of TOP prog for me to finally realize that I was wearing the wrong armor, and absolutely nothing happened when I switched.

I would like all three of the stats that do exactly the same thing but with a different number of exclamation points be removed and replaced with a single damage stat, and for raids to no longer drop augments for tomestone gear. That way, the only best in slot gear would be raid drops, so you would always celebrate going from your 620 tomestone gear to 630 raid loot gear. (In this world, the stats that actually change the way you play, such as skill speed or piety, would be moved exclusively to materia, which would preserve the ability to have different builds.)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Cabbit posted:

If I couldn't avoid queueing into Tower at Paradigm's Breach by tanking my item level I would never touch the alliance roulette again. I don't particularity want to take a thirty minutes timeout just because I queued into a raid that gives me eyestrain and a throbbing headache.

There are plugins specifically to deal with this.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ojjeorago posted:

There are plugins specifically to deal with this.

Cool, got one that turns off that hazy filter in Tower? I looked around and couldn't figure it out.

Sentient Data posted:

So don't roulette. I don't mean that sarcastically, I'm being 100% straight up that you should stop. If you want the thrill of not knowing what you'll get, just queue for 5 of your favorites. If you want the tomes, then suck it up and play anything that's available to you because the point of the tomes is incentive to HELP OTHER PEOPLE, not yourself

I am helping other people, but the people are confined to Puppet's Bunker and below. No amount of guilt is gonna make me go "actually I should give myself a head-splitting migraine in order to do my roulettes, because it is good and noble".

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

blastron posted:

I would like all three of the stats that do exactly the same thing but with a different number of exclamation points be removed and replaced with a single damage stat, and for raids to no longer drop augments for tomestone gear. That way, the only best in slot gear would be raid drops, so you would always celebrate going from your 620 tomestone gear to 630 raid loot gear. (In this world, the stats that actually change the way you play, such as skill speed or piety, would be moved exclusively to materia, which would preserve the ability to have different builds.)

Naw, being able to get max ilvl gear without raiding is the smartest decision this game has made.

@Mord I do relics for the glam, and I do a lot of content in this game for the glam, but incremental combat upgrades is what keeps me actually playing this game. I always cap my tomestones on even patches and I always get my alliance raid token to upgrade a piece in the odds. When I don't need to cap tomestones or get upgrade coins I pretty quickly fall into maintenance mode of logging in 15 minutes a day to do a bunch of chores ultimately for money and also to make sure I don't lose my house.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kerrzhe posted:

the stats on relics aren't even BIS until the final step anyway i think. so anyone doing relics now is either a) doing it for glam, because it's old content or current non-BIS content (and they want the future glam), or b) doing it for an easy ilvl 630 weapon (which is not best in slot but still pretty good)

It's not BIS, but it is #2 and you can't get BIS without killing P8S which is a pretty loving hard fight. For a lot of people, the 630 relic is the best item they're going to get.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For me I’m still on “getting gear so I meet the required IL for new content”, I have yet to start really concentrating on what stats to boost.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Edit: Forget it.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 19, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I saw someone say they use ACT to dim the screen to avoid photosensitivity issues.

I've got no clue how ACT does that, but there's an angle: find a way to mod the game into Tower not hurting.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

I saw someone say they use ACT to dim the screen to avoid photosensitivity issues.

I've got no clue how ACT does that, but there's an angle: find a way to mod the game into Tower not hurting.

ACT doesn't. That goes well beyond what ACT can do.

If we're listing common things, Reshade maybe.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

a lot of parse overlays put them in a dark box like this

so maybe they mess with the CSS to extend that dim box over their whole play area? is my guess

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thinking outside the box but yeah I guess that's something.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's the only thing I can imagine them meaning when they say they use ACT because, yeah, reshade would probably do the job better

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Failboattootoot posted:

Naw, being able to get max ilvl gear without raiding is the smartest decision this game has made.

Sorry, I should have been more clear: I think that raids shouldn't drop augments. I would be totally fine with them being purchasable via alliance raid coins or sacks of nuts. The path to max ilvl gear would be exactly the same for people who don't do savages.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

What if the only thing that increased player power was job level? How would that impact the game

Because you get better gear from the fights as you complete them meaning re-learn get easier and faster meaning you can get to where you're progging more easily and have more time to do prog. Gearing up to start a tier is fast and easy and getting the even better gear from managing to learn and successfully clear a floor makes next weeks mandatory re-clear easier.

Making gear all the same means you don't get those stat boosts so poo poo is only going to get so much easier through repetition meaning everything will slow down and that would suck rear end.

blastron posted:

Sorry, I should have been more clear: I think that raids shouldn't drop augments. I would be totally fine with them being purchasable via alliance raid coins or sacks of nuts. The path to max ilvl gear would be exactly the same for people who don't do savages.

This would also suck rear end for similar reasons.

This game is already streamlined to hell and back on the number side of poo poo, please stop begging them to remove literally any little bump of texture off the game. Lord knows the devs are willing to do it to the point poo poo overly homogenizes already.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 19, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I don't see why Savage raiders shouldn't be able to get tomestone gear upgrades faster than regular players, they're the ones who actually need the ilvl boost early.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

This would also suck rear end for similar reasons.

This game is already streamlined to hell and back on the number side of poo poo, please stop begging them to remove literally any little bump of texture off the game. Lord knows the devs are willing to do it to the point poo poo overly homogenizes already.

I’m still of the opinion that savage gear (Like WoW’s mythic raid gear) should be cosmetic only. Give savage raiders mounts or cosmetic gear.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

making savage gear cosmetic only would probably be brutal on casual raid groups, the ones helped most by the gear curve to clear content

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I’m still of the opinion that savage gear (Like WoW’s mythic raid gear) should be cosmetic only. Give savage raiders mounts or cosmetic gear.

They already get mounts and Glams because they're the dyable versions of the gear that drops from Story difficulty! And again, not having better stat gear would make poo poo just actively shittier for everyone trying to do them and if you're not raiding I don't know why care that people were getting ways to better handle the fights as they re-cleared them week to week. There's no benefit from not giving stat gear to clearing savage fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

They already get mounts and Glams because they're the dyable versions of the gear that drops from Story difficulty! And again, not having better stat gear would make poo poo just actively shittier for everyone trying to do them and if you're not raiding I don't know why care that people were getting ways to better handle the fights as they re-cleared them week to week. There's no benefit from not giving stat gear to clearing savage fights.

If you can already clear the fight, why do you need better gear?