Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

One thing I didn't understand about the value prop of donating to (registered) charity until I started doing it is: 1) it's a good value because it reduces your taxable income, so effectively the government gives you a tax credit at your top marginal rate and 2) you can use donations as a way to gain political access, and it doesn't have to be a lot of money. It doesn't have to be government either, you can donate to causes that you actually care about in order to get invited to their parties and make connections with the leaders in those areas.

e: fixed lies :canada:

Mantle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Mantle posted:

One thing I didn't understand about the value prop of donating to (registered) charity until I started doing it is: 1) it's a good value because it reduces your taxable income, so effectively the government matches your donation at your top marginal rate
Yeah, this isn't true unless you itemize deductions, and most people don't do that. If you do, however, then yes, it's a great deal!

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Canadians can do it but it's not as nice as it's a credit, not a deduction, so comes out of your bottom bracket.

Still, it means you get a ~20% rebate for doing good. Not too shabby.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sundae posted:

I'll do you one better. *donates $9 to charity*

I'll be a rich dad any second now.

https://twitter.com/EarnMayo/status/1647952005347037187

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

LanceHunter posted:

Dan Olson has a few more threads on the current state of the meme stock bagholders...

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1648078515152236546?s=20

(That thread continues on, and quote-tweets a reply to start this thread...)

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1648386484129660930?s=20

I really hope the guy is going to make a video on this, because I feel like he deserves some youtube money after subjecting himself to all this psychic damage.

I love that this is intentionally insane sounding, and yet, there are bound to be people who believe it’s true:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1648082953371815937?s=20

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

gschmidl posted:

Gavin Mayo

Let's meet today's contestants on "Who's the Whitest Whitey!"

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

I don't even buy Zippo's anymore.

$1.50 disposable Bic -- with me until it dies.

$30 Zippo -- lost in a day.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

blackmet posted:

By extrapolation you'd lose that expensive lighter before leaving the store.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Got to add in the cost of credit card interest

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

blackmet posted:

Didn't smoke but I had a Zippo when I was younger because I thought Zippo tricks would make me look cool. Thankfully I eventually figured out I was gay and didn't have to put that much effort into getting laid.

Good luck with that 7k lighter tho

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Apparently the guy is a crypto grifter (but I repeat myself). Shilling get-rich-quick schemes while lying about how much money he's spending...

https://twitter.com/EarnMayo/status/1648348786480271361?s=20

An interesting aspect of his Twitter feed, he's clearly aiming at younger people and focuses specifically on a message of "retire your parents" (aka: your parents will tell you that I am scamming you, so you need to start ignoring them now).

https://twitter.com/EarnMayo/status/1648456282133913605?s=20
https://twitter.com/EarnMayo/status/1648033724100145152?s=20
https://twitter.com/EarnMayo/status/1647619941892513793?s=20

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 10, 2024

drk
Jan 16, 2005

This is more or less right, but only because "friends, family, and brainworms" describes like, the human condition

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, he is almost certainly postin in bad faith and winding up for a scam but also incidentally right

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

At first I thought that retire your parents was about making so much money you could allow them to retire…

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

"if you listen to me, you do not have #4 under control"

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DominoKitten posted:

At first I thought that retire your parents was about making so much money you could allow them to retire…

Yep, I was like let's go. please, please, tell my kid to retire me.

Ohhhh no not like that. Man, what's worse for any of us than somehow raising a kid who is very bad with money. Would break my loving heart.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Yes please, have a blade runner retire me

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIZThDEn7_g

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, he is almost certainly postin in bad faith and winding up for a scam but also incidentally right

I kept waffling back and forth on whether it was a parody account or an actual crypto scammer. Still not 100% certain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno about impressing other people, I always just thought Zippo lighters looked fun and good for stimming. Basically the on fire version of fidget spinners.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
For a man who can't spell champagne he sure spent a lot on it.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 19, 2023

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Heffer posted:

How else will I get access to that sweet inheritance before I'm as old as they are now?

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 19, 2023

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Blue Moonlight posted:

I love that this is intentionally insane sounding, and yet, there are bound to be people who believe it’s true:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1648082953371815937?s=20

The whole GME thing is so unhinged at this point that its basically a spectator sport. The newest GME fad? If you have any fractional shares in your account at all this means all your shares are fake and the only way to get real shares is to sell all your fractional shares. Having fractional shares gets you dogpiled as a person hedge funds are paying to try to make people stray off the one true path. This fractional share thing is the only reason tha everyone isnt rich, and this is supported by this tweet from their god:

https://twitter.com/ryancohen/status/1548131846864510984?lang=en

Which they take as a coded message to them that they are correct. I wish I was kidding.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Heffer posted:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
From clicking through to the telegram:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

The taxes on a $1500 performance bonus in CA?!

quote:

quote:

That’s about normal for bonuses… ~35-45%

Can confirm. We get $100 for 3% body weight lost (trucking company so to promote trying to be healthy mainly for our drivers, but us office personnel use it too) and after taxes it is $70. Source, I have claimed it 4 times so far. Was disappointing when I noticed it.

quote:

quote:

Florida has no income tax.

I live in Florida and I had a bonus last year taxed very heavily. It’s because of how the bonus is issued and the way tax applies in that situation.

While state taxes will depend on the state, it also depends on how the bonus is issued by the company, whether in a standalone check or included in a normal pay check. You will most likely lose a bigger chunk to taxes with the latter.

quote:

I live in Florida and receive monthly bonuses at work. I lose 33-35% of each bonus to taxes.

quote:

quote:

But you get it back when you file and your ACTUAL tax rate applies.

Nope. Never got that money back. Try again

quote:

I used to live in TN and TX and get bonuses that I would only see half of due to taxes. I’m assuming you don’t live in any of those states or never get a bonus

quote:

It sucks they "Tax bonuses" higher than regular pay. I know there is more involved and this is a very simplified statement, but yeah

quote:

You will get it back on April 15th - it will be just part of your annual income. I had a job that paid about 30% of my pay in bonus payments. Even though I only had a wife and a house I would claim 6 dependents, at the end of the year it all kind of worked out.

quote:

quote:

i don't understand where the 6 dependents came from

Because they take so much out of my bonus(s) that I ask (or tell) them to take less out weekly. In the end it all works out pretty even when I only claim 3 at the end of the year. Edit: this has worked for 28 years.

quote:

Yes. My 10k bonus was about 5k after taxes.

quote:

I've been getting various bonuses for years, and you never get anywhere close to the initial payment. I just always tell myself it's extra money so I don't get too worked up about it.

quote:

Taxes are absolutely brutal. Taxes on bonuses are additionally brutal

quote:

quote:

Bonuses are taxed the same as regular income.

Obviously not.

quote:

my boss accounts for this. if you get a $1500 bonus, its usually set to a $3000 bonus so you actually get 1500. Most places should do this since bonuses and can be written off

quote:

quote:

I mentioned California to give context, but can see how that could come off whiney. I do 1% additional state/fed witholding to motivate me to get my taxes filed in a timely manner.

Giving the government interest free loans is an odd strategy for someone who is upset about taxes

quote:

Taxes in California are too ridiculous. I worked 10 hours overtime last pay period at $38 an hour and my check was only $100 more than usual

quote:

My bonuses are around 50% when you factor in taxes and also my 401k contributions

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

This is good content, but honestly, it's really bummed me out.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Until a couple years ago, claiming extra dependents was actually the official way of adjusting your withholding downwards in the US. It changed with the Trump tax changes and the elimination of exemptions; you just give a +/- dollar amount now. Technically you were claiming extra “adjustments”, which were not required to correspond to dependents, so it wasn’t actually lying on a form. You can dig yourself into a lot of trouble pretty quickly doing that, though.

If your bonus gets withheld at the maximum marginal rate, that’s just your payroll service being lazy, not something required by the IRS.

Of course the real problem in most of those replies is people not understanding the difference between taxes owed and taxes withheld.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
People not understanding marginal tax rates will always be funny, but to be fair I have gotten bonuses where the amount is net of taxes (so a "$1000 bonus" lands as $1000 in my checking account, but is actually $1500 of extra pay minus $500 of withholding or whatever).

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Sad thing is I bet most of those people are the type to complain "taxation = theft"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Does any other country do taxes a different way than withhold from your check and reconcile at the end of the year? I know the US has our own screwed up way of doing returns, but I wasn't sure if there's a different system out there for collecting taxes through the year. If I had to guess, the majority of the public do not understand the difference between withholding and actual taxes owed. It's also not very clear intentionally I feel.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lotta islamic states do poo poo alongside zakat or have governmental zakat, and jizyah for nonbelievers

they still do tax farming (like first century romans) in bangladesh for obscure public private partnership dealios iirc

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 19, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I know in the past I've hit issues where a bonus was withheld with the assumption that I wouldn't cap social security or 401k so it did look like a larger percent of taxes but as pointed out, it all came out in the end.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

jizyah for nonbelievers
:cumpolice:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does any other country do taxes a different way than withhold from your check and reconcile at the end of the year? I know the US has our own screwed up way of doing returns, but I wasn't sure if there's a different system out there for collecting taxes through the year. If I had to guess, the majority of the public do not understand the difference between withholding and actual taxes owed. It's also not very clear intentionally I feel.

In Switzerland they withhold nothing and you pay a gigantic chunk all at once. Or if you fill in the forms in advance, they'll send you quarterly bills and you have 30 days to pay 12 grand or something.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bird in a Blender posted:

In the UK we do pay as you earn, worked out monthly so a bonus can attract extra tax the month you get it but then the following month you get taxed less than usual as they realise "oh that wasn't just a salary increase it was a one off payment".

My previous employer did bonus and pay rise at the same time which generally resulted in it taking about two or three payslips to settle down into your normal take home pay.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Would be interesting to see the mechanics of how that works. Does the employer ask the government how much to put towards taxes for each paycheck?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Oh hey, found a "casting call" ad out in the wild on FB for occasional thread topic Caleb Hammer...

He's doing all this through a loving Google Form.

$50 sounds like an extremely bad deal in exchange for getting publicly shamed by wanna-be Dave Ramsey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Old friend of mine did HR at an auto dealership that did net bonuses, which required figuring out for each employee what to pay gross to get exactly $1000.00 net.

When it inevitably came in at $999.94 she got snippy car salesman coming in demanding the rest, which she paid from the change jar on her desk.