Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shyrka posted:

I think she's the only non-confidant Shujin student to actually show her opinion of Joker change.

The funny part is that there are only five Shujin students that are confidants, and four of them are party members (Ryuji, Ann, Makoto, Haru).

The fifth is Mishima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FireWorksWell posted:

It fits, because her character is not a big part of the game past the first few hours

At least Ann is part of the crew throughout the game. Poor Shiho was the catalyst that got the PT started and she just vanishes after the first palace. It's just bizarre to me that Royal never even added an S.Link option with her since it tried its best to shore up the original game's flaws.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I suppose in the original concept of P5 where the Phantom Thieves would be doing their thing all over the world (and the Hawaii trip is kind of a neutered version of what might have been) then Ann would probably have been a lot more useful since speaking English would be a massive boon. But I guess they figured that it was too hard to mesh 'everyday school life' with 'awesome globetrotting criminals'.

Pivoting back to the high school life sim template in the middle of development really makes segments like the Hawaii trip and the setting of Futaba's palace stand out. Not to mention the logical loopholes they had to jump through to have that whole 'Joker gets chased and caught by actual people despite being in the Metaverse' cutscene retained.

I wish there was a storyboard somewhere of the original globetrotting criminals storyline, even if it's very high-level.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never quite understood the logistics of the cops being in the metaverse. From what they show you disappear in real life when you go in so it's definitely another plane of existence. I thought it'd make more sense just to have them leave the metaverse and have all the cops there surrounding them when they popped out. It was a cool scene regardless though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

amigolupus posted:

At least Ann is part of the crew throughout the game. Poor Shiho was the catalyst that got the PT started and she just vanishes after the first palace. It's just bizarre to me that Royal never even added an S.Link option with her since it tried its best to shore up the original game's flaws.

I think it's because Shiho transfers out of the school during Ann's link. Might not stop an actual link itself but considering that she also gets a pretty firm resolution during Ann's link already, would probably be doubling up. And she's also in physical therapy until Ann's link is near completed which would make a link even more awkward.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Would not trust Atlus with a Shiho S.Link tbh.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

The funny part is that there are only five Shujin students that are confidants, and four of them are party members (Ryuji, Ann, Makoto, Haru).

The fifth is Mishima.

The Reg Barclay of persona

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Shyrka posted:

Joker's classmates consistently suck, but at least Newspaper Club girl stops telling you to gently caress off when you talk to her after a while, and even asks how your time off was when you come back to school in the third semester. I think she's the only non-confidant Shujin student to actually show her opinion of Joker change.

There's also Library Girl, who apologizes for being rude once the heat simmers down.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The fifth is Mishima.

There's also Kasumi, and I've come to realize one reason I like her even before she's allowed to have her actual story one hundred hours into the game, is that she's pretty much the only person who is Joker's friend entirely independent of him being a Phantom Thief.

Or the main one, at least; I do count Newspaper Club Girl and Hifumi, but they are rather more tangential characters.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Electric Phantasm posted:

Would not trust Atlus with a Shiho S.Link tbh.

the idea makes me wanna puke tbh

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Unlocking a jack frost Shee-Ho! variant for hitting rank 5

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"Hey how can we wedge a romance in between the main character and someone who was assaulted a few months ago in-game"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Remember how in Royal they show her in a skimpy bunny outfit during the Kamoshida boss fight

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And then you can beat her up to make the boss fight easier

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

Arist posted:

Remember how in Royal they show her in a skimpy bunny outfit during the Kamoshida boss fight

No and I don't wanna but you can link me to a mod that puts Joker and Akechi in matching ones

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I mean... its the bad guy that's doing it, but still, ughh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The only girls you should date outside of your party are Yuko and Hifumi.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I never quite understood the logistics of the cops being in the metaverse. From what they show you disappear in real life when you go in so it's definitely another plane of existence. I thoug ht it'd make more sense just to have them leave the metaverse and have all the cops there surrounding them when they popped out. It was a cool scene regardless though.

It absolutely would make more sense, but unfortunately they already paid for the animated cutscene of Joker being captured in his PT outfit. It's the FF13 problem but even more insane because the animated cutscenes don't even look better than the in-engine cutscenes at this point

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mostly remember the boss having a glass of Ann, that he will periodically slurp up, slosh around in his mouth, and regurgitate, and then get a stat buff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The weird thing is that Ann already bisected her cognitive version when she got her Persona so uhhh

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So somebody told me

quote:

When I play Persona 5 Royal for PS5, I use the Seven Sisters High uniform. That switches the battle theme.

I am intrigued. Does switching costumes do this for other music as well? I'd be getting it on Steam.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Only the battle and victory themes change.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Just the battle and victory music.

There's a Velvet Room set which changes the standard battle theme to Battle for Everyone's Souls, which is an insane idea that I fully respect.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm like 95% certain they originally had Shiho's suicide attempt succeed and only changed their minds late in development and that is why we almost never see her again.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Its also dependent on Joker wearing the costume, so if you want, say, the sick remix of the Akira battle theme from …if/Amala Network battle theme from 3, Joker’s gotta use the …if costume. No one else has to though, you could put Ryuji in a P4 Yasogami High outfit and Morgana in the Sheep outfit from Catherine without changing the battle/results music.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Just the battle and victory music.

There's a Velvet Room set which changes the standard battle theme to Battle for Everyone's Souls, which is an insane idea that I fully respect.

I don't know if I could have a game where the music went that hard every time I got in a fight.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I never quite understood the logistics of the cops being in the metaverse. From what they show you disappear in real life when you go in so it's definitely another plane of existence. I thought it'd make more sense just to have them leave the metaverse and have all the cops there surrounding them when they popped out. It was a cool scene regardless though.

It was a cool scene but man this and everything after it killed my buzz with the game and it got worse the more I thought about it. I keep thinking of replaying it and then I remember this scene and everything that happens after it.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

So somebody told me

I am intrigued. Does switching costumes do this for other music as well? I'd be getting it on Steam.

There's a mod that will randomize it between all the options without having to change costumes
https://gamebanana.com/mods/412327

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CBD Corndog posted:

There's a mod that will randomize it between all the options without having to change costumes

That's pretty awesome, thank you.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

GoodApollo posted:

It was a cool scene but man this and everything after it killed my buzz with the game and it got worse the more I thought about it. I keep thinking of replaying it and then I remember this scene and everything that happens after it.

For me it was the fact that I was 110 hours in at that point. I'm halfway through the third awakenings and not sure I'll ever finish but that's 🆗 because I can def dump ANOTHER 60 hours into an smt3 replay...

CBD Corndog posted:

Did I miss it or does this not include the Raidou music? I modded the steam release specifically for those outfits and tracks since they were cut from that release.

Waste of Breath fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 19, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't see the issue with the cops in the metaverse, since you can enter the metaverse without even realizing it (and they specifically mention how everything outside the Palace itself often looks normal). You only would have needed the people at the very top to be aware of what's happening (and prevent others from seeing/recording the moment they enter/leave the metaverse). Hell, when the MC/Ryuji first enter the metaverse they don't even notice the transition. And the plan with Akechi also hinges on this.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I still want to know what would've happened if Joker had pulled out some Null Phys/Null Gun persona and just walked through the army of cops.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

anakha posted:

I wish there was a storyboard somewhere of the original globetrotting criminals storyline, even if it's very high-level.

Good news, this is basically the premise of Strikers, except instead of trotting the globe it’s a food tour of Japan.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Through The Decade posted:

Good news, this is basically the premise of Strikers, except instead of trotting the globe it’s a food tour of Japan.

It's probably close to that, yeah, but that opening cutscene (plus Joker's awakening) suggests that there wasn't supposed to be a completely separate metaverse if Joker could move around and interact with real people while in costume.

Maybe that melding of the worlds that was happening near the end of vanilla P5 was supposed to be central to the original storyline.

Ytlaya posted:

I don't see the issue with the cops in the metaverse, since you can enter the metaverse without even realizing it (and they specifically mention how everything outside the Palace itself often looks normal).

...Hell, when the MC/Ryuji first enter the metaverse they don't even notice the transition. And the plan with Akechi also hinges on this.

Ryuji entered the metaverse because he was accompanying Joker when the app triggered. Maybe you had to be with an app user to enter, but in that case, Akechi would have had to bring in all those police beforehand and hide them away in advance prior to meeting up with the PTs for the Sae boss fight. Then he would have needed a way to signal them within the metaverse to move in as soon as the boss fight was over.

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 19, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The police are actually Robin Hood's merry men.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

There's a possibility that 90% of the police are Akechi having convinced Sae to make cognitive duplicates.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

anakha posted:

It's probably close to that, yeah, but that opening cutscene (plus Joker's awakening) suggests that there wasn't supposed to be a completely separate metaverse if Joker could move around and interact with real people while in costume.

Maybe that melding of the worlds that was happening near the end of vanilla P5 was supposed to be central to the original storyline.

Ryuji entered the metaverse because he was accompanying Joker when the app triggered. Maybe you had to be with an app user to enter, but in that case, Akechi would have had to bring in all those police beforehand and hide them away in advance prior to meeting up with the PTs for the Sae boss fight. Then he would have needed a way to signal them within the metaverse to move in as soon as the boss fight was over.

That's a good point that they'd need an accompanying app user to triggering the transition, but I think that's all they'd need. As shown in the "Akechi plan," you just need to be near someone when they activate the app. It seems plausible that the "Shido faction" could have figured out some solution for this, given everything they say about how he learned to "edit" his own Palace. All they'd need is some way to transition other people into the metaverse. Simply creating some sort of copy of the app to use on the cops would be sufficient (and the SIU director guy is aware of the metaverse IIRC so you could have that managed top-down).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The real answer is that they produced the intro animation before they had ironed out the mechanics of the Metaverse, but it does get addressed with a single line of "huh, apparently you can do that" during the Big Exposition.

They don't delve into how exactly it was done, but it also doesn't contradict anything we learn.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I am really liking Strikers a lot more than I thought I would. The gameplay isn't fantastic or anything but that's mostly because the ai (heh) controlled party members keep getting their poo poo wrecked or burning through their SP way too fast. The bones of the action combat are decent enough but I mean if you have played one musou you have played them all I suppose.

I think I am about half way through based on the ability tiers my squad has unlocked and the story is pretty nice and has a lot less filler than the original game did. Well, alright the second jail was kind of filler-y.

The stop in Kyoto to see Zenkichi's kid was really sweet :unsmith: But then the squad moved on again and finally started to break up the established mission pattern. I wonder where this is all leading.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Strikers rules because right when you get used to the pattern and start wondering if it might get repetitive it throws you for a sudden loop and poo poo goes hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also Strikers rules because Makoto fights on Joanna as a motorbike. :allears: