Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I was about to flip the new Vorinclex while I had Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider on the field, but the opponent cast like 5 spells with the new Urabrask on the field, flipped it and proceeded to shame scoop.

I think new Vorinclex will be a good addition to my Azusa HBrawl deck. I am looking forward to the first time I do t2 Lotus cobra. t3 land, Azusa, land, land, Vorinclex. t4 land, land, land, flip Vorinclex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

maybe i'm headed towards another brick wall but I'm enjoying the ride there

Edit:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did we already talk about how there won't be any new digital-exclusive cards for the next six months?
https://twitter.com/Metallix87/status/1648093476771201026?t=OaF6eEjH5TzFgF6swkXvPw&s=19

Probably a bad sign for Alchemy!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Hell yeah, love to draw land for 6 turns, then the opponents gyruda hits my elesh norn. Extremely fun game

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'm messing around with Golgari Phyrexians because I'm a unique snowflake and Glissa Herald of Predation is pretty spicy with some ramp.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Neither my nor my opponent's battles have been casting, it seems. Is there a UI quirk I'm missing or is it a bug? Like they exile, but then don't go on the stack that I can tell.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I had on opponent not cast a flipped battle but they said opps so I assumed there was a prompt they clicked through.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ahhh maybe that's it

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I've opened five MoM packs and gotten three MoM rares, an Ikoria rare, and an M20 mythic. Not a fan of that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah when battles flip it brings up the card in the middle of your screen and they make you click it to cast it.

Also note that one card that says you can only cast one non-Phyrexian spell a turn will hose it if you cast a spell already!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

Neither my nor my opponent's battles have been casting, it seems. Is there a UI quirk I'm missing or is it a bug? Like they exile, but then don't go on the stack that I can tell.

Is phyrexian censor on the battlefield?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Just threw a game by misclicking on angelic protection. Can't blame the shuffler thats all on me lads

Pocky In My Pocket fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 19, 2023

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Khanstant posted:

I got this companion in sealed and just out of curiosity wanted to see if I could build a deck at all just jamming every single red/black card, couldn't, so jammed in green too. Not actually playing it, lots of neat even mana stuff lol.

there is absolutely no way you're casting that GGG card in this deck, just play 18 land and that lovely artifact rather than splashing for two useless cards

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Time posted:

Someone tell me what’s good in draft

very early impressions but incubate seems like the killer mechanic of the set. almost every card ive seen with that keyword has felt really good

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Having been on both ends, Multiverse and Etali probably should cost a couple more. The three-for-one value on them is just insane and I've only seen a game not end in the favor of the person who casts either once so far.

Time posted:

Someone tell me what’s good in draft

Incubate is ridiculous, and Backup is sleeper very good, largely thanks to the +1/+1 counter it also drops.

Draft as much removal as you can, because everything is a threat in this format. All the early creatures transform into something that will kill you if you don't answer it, so you either have to be playing green to make a wall of fatties, or kill them as they're played.

Battles are less impactful so far in my experience. Kind of delayed enchantments that are bait for people who should be swinging at your face. That said, the ones that lightning bolt are still wicked enough.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

In my experience, your opponents deck is really good.

Incubate seems pretty good,the enchantment cycle that buff phyrexians seems pretty good. Battles should be rated only on the front. The extra legends means things can see a bit crazier than normal.

I also saw one person who had got two boros hoplites out and it seems to me like thats a potentially strong deck if you can get it going

Sometimes, if you're lucky, people will attack into incubate tokens and you can get some free blocks

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah when battles flip it brings up the card in the middle of your screen and they make you click it to cast it.

Pretty sure it was this.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Incubate is ridiculous, and Backup is sleeper very good, largely thanks to the +1/+1 counter it also drops.

This has been my experience so far as well, through all of my single 3-3 draft that I went into entirely blind.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sam, please... 2 Messages lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sam, please... 2 Messages lol

From the early access event:

Rinkles posted:

Lol, classic Sam Black

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

there is absolutely no way you're casting that GGG card in this deck, just play 18 land and that lovely artifact rather than splashing for two useless cards

I made an entirely different deck without the companion. The GGG was more reasonably cast in the one I built, but every game with it ended up almost decking out with both of us having absurdly large boards top decking to see who can shut eachother down or make a big enough window.

Ive had a few games where we both have giant walls of freaks, and the only thing that can attack is some pesky flyer or evasive whatever.

Big expensive scary things seem a lot more castable than I'm used to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/5e2286aadedc458e9d6c781b60d25293

This feels decidedly underpowered compared to my Sealed Deck lol

First picked the Hoarding Broodlord and didn't see anything to push me out of that, the Sheoldred locked me in. Red seemed like a good pairing, minor steal and sac and convoke tokens to get Broodlord - Sheoldred online. I guess it's not worth it to splash for blue. How much should I lean into Valduk, should I be playing this equipment instead of more creatures

"decidedly underpowered," I was completely asleep at the wheel with that evaluation lol

Two numbered mythics gave me a scare but I was able to close things out with a trophy. God, Hoarding Broodlord is completely cracked, a bomb in itself and unrestricted tutor for another bomb to shut the door or get the exact answer to relieve pressure. Convoke makes that cost deceptive, like if you're playing creatures on curve it's a reasonable cost. But this deck had multiple acceleration vectors with the grip of "two guys" cards and the treasure sticks that I was dropping it on turn 4 or 5. All the synergies were firing, I didn't think about or get the opportunity until this last game but Valduk + Stormclaw Rager is "1: draw a card" every turn. Invasion of Mercadia is great on the front and makes all extra lands "two guys" cards.

12-5, 70.59%... I know it's fun to win but I also think this format is pretty fun based on losing at the prerelease, lol

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Ariong posted:

I've opened five MoM packs and gotten three MoM rares, an Ikoria rare, and an M20 mythic. Not a fan of that.

The Ikoria and M20 rares are IN ADDITION to MOM rares

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I've lost way more today than I have on single night before but had a good time doing it, and didn't feel like I made hopeless decks or played my everything wrong, every match has been pretty close, oddly long, and pretty stacked with crazy boards and weird stuff. I dig it so far.

The multiverse are fun in limited. Kind of curious to see if I can do anything with em in historic since we seem to be getting heaps of em. Is there a set collection tracker screen for multiverse legends or do they sort of just shuffle into whatever sets they were from originally?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Is it just me, or does this set have a bunch more mechanics than usual? I'm sure it's just a result of it being launch day, but I feel like I'm learning half of the game from scratch right now. It's cool, but I'm definitely staring at my hand of cards for longer.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ariong posted:

You probably also got two MOM rares. The main slot you click for that satisfying flip can be either, but when it's an older card, the MOM rare is displayed to the left from what I've opened.

Can't wait to try constructed with the set. Jumped in a Standard queue to see what was brewing and got a preview of "RDW but now with card draw". Oh boy oh boy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Carillon posted:

Is it just me, or does this set have a bunch more mechanics than usual? I'm sure it's just a result of it being launch day, but I feel like I'm learning half of the game from scratch right now. It's cool, but I'm definitely staring at my hand of cards for longer.

I think it's that in addition to the standard new keywords, battles being both a new type and each battle basically having a front and back recalling that set's mechanics, the multiverse legends usually have their home set's mechanics too lol

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SalTheBard posted:

The Ikoria and M20 rares are IN ADDITION to MOM rares

Oh drat, nice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I had a pretty good board a moment ago lmao. just never drew an answer for that mondrak, but i successfully ulted my elspeth.

my opponent's az convoke mondrak token deck seemed fun :)

I tried so hard to keep them from popping their segovia battle, they clearly wanted it bad and I saw why eventually. There was one time I chose not to block it with my Sheoldred because their Mondrak had first strike and indestructible. They removed her next turn anyway and then I drew another one, but unless I got lucky with a mondrak solution earlier I think they had me good.

edit2: haven't seen anyone do awaken the woods with mondrak either, couldnt that be something?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 19, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The very first time that happened I had to think about it for a second. It is incredibly bad UI for it to not have "Cast this card?" with Decline/Accept buttons. It's just big card in the middle of the screen with no real hint, and the Decline button on the side in small print, so people might quickly scan "Decline" to be "Proceed" or something.

I haven't tried it yet but I think hitting the space bar might default to Decline, I'm not sure but I'll find out.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

https://sealeddeck.tech/p15VphjSC1

Any advice for this pool from people who have played some games already? I want to like green and black because of thalia but they seem light on anything good at lower on the curve except for the 2 drop Phyrexian lord.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Got in one sealed run yesterday and trophied with g/w. Haven’t really read anything about the set but backup seems really really good and the sealed pools generally seem stronger with the two additional rares and the additional multiverse cards

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Haven’t been able to draft this yet, how is everyone’s first impressions?

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

fadam posted:

I wasn't really excited for it at all, but I actually kind of like it. Only done a few but it seems like there's a fair bit of options, and it isn't super aggro like the last few sets. Black is very good of course.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also note that one card that says you can only cast one non-Phyrexian spell a turn will hose it if you cast a spell already!

You can also counter the battle with a counter spell

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
holy poo poo this format is incredibly fun. Have drafted it like a cube so far and had some really cool decks

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

fadam posted:

Lots of bomb rares - both in that lots of the rares are very good AND that a lot of packs have two rares because of the bonus sheet - lots of ways to deal with them at common/uncommon so don't spew off removal if you don't need to.

Battles make games last longer than normal since everyone starts at like 27 life but if you can't defend a battle you're going to get snowballed hard, the flip creatures are good at defending early and turning into something relevant later. There's lots of uses for extra mana so don't skimp on land.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've had a lot of fun. 2-3 with a deck that didn't come together at all, 3-3, 2*7-1 so far. Latest with this beauty of a 5-color pile:

Its only loss was to another grindy deck that involved a ton of misplays on both sides. These games can get insanely complicated. Wrenn did not belong in this deck but I couldn't resist trying it, and to be fair an opponent did insta-concede when I played it (on T6...) so I guess it did its job?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Lots of bomb rares - both in that lots of the rares are very good AND that a lot of packs have two rares because of the bonus sheet - lots of ways to deal with them at common/uncommon so don't spew off removal if you don't need to.

Battles make games last longer than normal since everyone starts at like 27 life but if you can't defend a battle you're going to get snowballed hard, the flip creatures are good at defending early and turning into something relevant later. There's lots of uses for extra mana so don't skimp on land.

Panderfringe posted:

I wasn't really excited for it at all, but I actually kind of like it. Only done a few but it seems like there's a fair bit of options, and it isn't super aggro like the last few sets. Black is very good of course.

Neat, ty. Any big obvious deltas in your estimation of a card vs how it turned out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Lone Goat posted:

I played in the paper prerelease and I had 3 battles (Azgol, Tarkir and Mercadia) and I don't think my opponent realized how good they backsides were because I flipped all 3 one game and won handily