Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Cheston posted:

I'm doing my first vanilla run since my first playthrough in like ~2009, so I'm paying a lot of attention to how things are balanced. It feels very deliberate how few prod charges you get on Liberty Island. Halfway through Hell's Kitchen you can have max prod ammo, but in that first level the scarcity really teaches you to combo with the baton.
Stun prod is one hit ko if you hit directly from the back. You walk and crouchwalk faster than npcs do. Hitting their heels is the same as the back of the head.

Run speed aug is much better than quiet run aug and allows for high jumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I also realized I replay deus ex for the hong kong and new york section. The game's good until the end, but you're dealing with much more enemies and less side quests.
Also you ran out of inventory space by then so you have to leave a ton of stuff behind. It would be fine if there was a real choice to make, but you're pretty much set with what you have at that point.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I always forget just how much of the game there is after Hong Kong.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Which mod(s) is/are it that allow using aug canisters and not just upgrade canisters to increase an aug's level? I can't remember if it's Biomod, Shifter or some other one, but I've definitely seen it.

Eason the Fifth posted:

My first and only runthrough with the prison DLC was no-aug and it was lol as gently caress. Haven't savescummed like that since playing Thief

Last time I played Thief Gold I should have hired one of those drinking bird toys... two, in fact - one for QS and one for QL.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Vic posted:

I also realized I replay deus ex for the hong kong and new york section. The game's good until the end, but you're dealing with much more enemies and less side quests.
Also you ran out of inventory space by then so you have to leave a ton of stuff behind. It would be fine if there was a real choice to make, but you're pretty much set with what you have at that point.

HR and MD letting you upgrade your inventory was a great idea.
I'm playing through IW again and my inventory has been full since about ten minutes into the game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am playing through MD for the first time and while I am enjoying it, it feels like something is missing. I can't put my finger on it. Also, what is the purpose of EMP shotgun shells? Seems like it is just a way to remote disable things and not like more damage to robot enemies.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

For whatever reason I always burn out after hong kong / naval base, and the knowledge that ther's still so much is exhausting

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm playing through IW again and my inventory has been full since about ten minutes into the game.

Speaking of, are there any good fan patches for Invisible War? There have been some corkers for Thief 3, which is in the same engine, including the one that merges all the zones together. I wanted to ask since MMG mentioned that ill-reputed game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-2-visible-upgrade

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mesadoram posted:

I am playing through MD for the first time and while I am enjoying it, it feels like something is missing. I can't put my finger on it. Also, what is the purpose of EMP shotgun shells? Seems like it is just a way to remote disable things and not like more damage to robot enemies.

I liked md a lot but the beginning is really bad, just people yelling at each other for unclear reasons and some inanely complex mission that doesn't matter to anyone

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah I'm using this and it's nice. Not an earth-shattering change but just not showing the desktop every time I change zones makes a difference.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mesadoram posted:

Deus Ex: EMP attacks damage robotic foes.

Human Revolution: EMP attacks damage and stun robot/augmented foes.

Mankind Divided: Stun only, no damage.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gynovore posted:

Deus Ex: EMP attacks damage robotic foes.

Human Revolution: EMP attacks damage and stun robot/augmented foes.

Mankind Divided: Stun only, no damage.

:smith:

Thank you.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love MD but what you're probably picking up on is the fact that all the backstory to the game happened in a novel so the first part is kind of confusing.

The book isn't bad, as game tie in books go.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Grand Fromage posted:

I love MD but what you're probably picking up on is the fact that all the backstory to the game happened in a novel so the first part is kind of confusing.

The book isn't bad, as game tie in books go.

That is probably it, the story to me so far has been the least interesting part. Which is weird because the original and HR I LOVED the story.

Also IIRC, the first door in MD was not code 0451 :colbert:.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Just finished the game and was immediately reminded of the main reason I tend to go Helios - it's by far the easiest ending to achieve considering how annoying that final area is in Area 51. Just get me outta there tbh.

drat, though. What a game. It'd been so long since my last replay that I actually started thinking it might not be in my top 10 ever. I am a fool.

Still goated after all these years.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I took the GEP gun and I have 20 lockpicks and 16 multitools at the airfield, and like 7 of each grenade. It's amazing how many chances you need to give first-time players for the balance to feel right. I can still remember how down to the wire my supplies were my first time through Area 51, how tense it felt.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Given that not even the more adventurous mods have touched this, I'm assuming that DE1's inventory system is a hacked together mess that barely works for the exact fixed inventory size.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cheston posted:

I took the GEP gun and I have 20 lockpicks

technically they are called 'rockets'

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Speaking of things that explode, I'm so glad the HE20 ammo exists in this game for blowing up big things, even if ammunition is thin on the ground. All of the other precise (not LAMs, I mean) exposive weapons take up too much space and are awkward to use without investing a lot of points... which is usually waste because they are so situational. HE20 actually gives an aimable anti-bot weapon.

What I wish that the game allowed was afixing grenades to moving objects like it does walls. Turn on Radar Transparency, run up to a bot, plant a LAM on the bugger and then run away giggling.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I would guess that's the kind of thing which was just out of scope when coding the game initially. It's one of the reasons I love Arkane though, Dishonored & Prey both let you do this with delightful results.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

aniviron posted:

I would guess that's the kind of thing which was just out of scope when coding the game initially. It's one of the reasons I love Arkane though, Dishonored & Prey both let you do this with delightful results.

I agree that it's probably technically impossible, but I can still dream.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is a pro-follow in case there's anyone ITT who isn't already:

https://twitter.com/DeusEx_Ebooks/status/1647973309466722304

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

So it looks like that account is just going to post the whole script to Deus Ex, or...?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
idk if mods alter this but I just realized that in vanilla, even when you're out of energy, you can activate an aug and gain its effects for a fraction of a second. So even when you're out of energy you can muster the strength for i.e. a single powerful jump.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

JustJeff88 posted:

Speaking of things that explode, I'm so glad the HE20 ammo exists in this game for blowing up big things, even if ammunition is thin on the ground. All of the other precise (not LAMs, I mean) exposive weapons take up too much space and are awkward to use without investing a lot of points... which is usually waste because they are so situational. HE20 actually gives an aimable anti-bot weapon.

RIP that bug where if you picked up a weapon it gave you a magazine's worth of whatever ammo you had loaded

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MrL_JaKiri posted:

RIP that bug where if you picked up a weapon it gave you a magazine's worth of whatever ammo you had loaded

I did not know about that. That's even better than the downgrade pistol bug, but not as good as the lockpick one.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I feel like this is a silly question, does destroying cameras count as a kill? I am doing a no kill run in MD but I blew up a few cameras.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pretty sure it wouldn't. I didn't bother getting those cheevos, especially since there was zero way of knowing if you'd mucked it up halfway through your 20 hr run.

edit: On one hand, I hope they put some sort of UI tracker for that somewhere. On the other, I hope they don't, so it brings tears to those masochists who'd rather not have fun when playing.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Cameras and robots are fine, it's humans only.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Got back to my latest GMDX playthrough and found a security terminal in Paris with an NSF banner. Needs master hacking level to crack which I don’t have. Haven’t found a password anywhere and the list of password online doesn’t include it so I think it must be GMDX exclusive. I might cheat to see what it does because I’ve never found it before.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Good loving luck making the no-kill achievement with HR or MD. If you knock someone out and they so much as stub their toe on the way down there's an unfortunate likelihood of the game deciding they're dead.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GMDX must have introduced “per-terminal minimum hacking skill”, right? The vanilla game lets you hack anything at Trained, you just can’t control turrets or something like that?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Valatar posted:

Good loving luck making the no-kill achievement with HR or MD. If you knock someone out and they so much as stub their toe on the way down there's an unfortunate likelihood of the game deciding they're dead.

Yeah my first attempt IIRC ended with a kill somewhere despite me being very careful. I eventually got it done but in general I’m less interested in ghost playthroughs in the deus ex games and immersive sims as I replay them more and get older. It was neat doing it in dishonored 1 & 2 but the powers and big guns in other immersive sims are a ton of fun.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

brap posted:

GMDX must have introduced “per-terminal minimum hacking skill”, right? The vanilla game lets you hack anything at Trained, you just can’t control turrets or something like that?
Yeah. You could cheese hacking pretty well in the base game. Just on trained you could quickly turn off all the cameras and click through every email before the timer runs out. Emails will then be in the comms section of the tab menu to read at your leisure.

The other thing I had to adjust for when playing GMDX is they made the Dragon’s Tooth’s damage go over 3, I think, hits. So it may not meet the damage threshold on many doors and containers. So you can’t just use it as an infinite lock pick for the last quarter of the game like you can in the base game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's funny, cuz in my first playthrough the Dragon's Tooth did nowhere near that much damage, it was buffed from like 30 to 100 damage in a later official patch. Might explain a few design decisions...

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm so glad to have given this game another shot after playing Prey. I tried it half a decade ago and was turned off by the first level. Was still kinda blah on the game during the first level, but gently caress does it become godly.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's weird, Liberty Island is a great showcase of all the different features; You've got chatty characters, both to overhear and to berate you about nonviolence, alternate plot paths and scenario resolutions (eg Gunther), like four different ways to progress into the main building, a bunch of optional side areas... except that nobody gets hooked playing it the first time, it was doing too much without guidance and player attention levels plummet after the first accidental gunfight.

So like, as a standalone demo it would have been amazing (anyone remember Junkyard demo for Fallout?), but maybe something more structured for the first ten minutes post-tutorial whoulda been better in hindsight.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah the game really throws you in the deep end. I bounced off it the first time too, glad I went back. I get why they did it, it's probably the best showcase of the Deus Ex concept in the game, but it's a lot.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the game really throws you in the deep end. I bounced off it the first time too, glad I went back. I get why they did it, it's probably the best showcase of the Deus Ex concept in the game, but it's a lot.

Remember that Deus Ex came out in 2000, when store shelves were crammed with first-person shooters. Liberty Island is the game's way of forcibly telling that this isn't like the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah. You could cheese hacking pretty well in the base game. Just on trained you could quickly turn off all the cameras and click through every email before the timer runs out. Emails will then be in the comms section of the tab menu to read at your leisure.

The other thing I had to adjust for when playing GMDX is they made the Dragon’s Tooth’s damage go over 3, I think, hits. So it may not meet the damage threshold on many doors and containers. So you can’t just use it as an infinite lock pick for the last quarter of the game like you can in the base game.

The emails are not recorded in Deus Ex. Only the conversations, transmissions and datacubes. Master hacking gives you time to actually read those emails.

Serephina posted:

It's weird, Liberty Island is a great showcase of all the different features; You've got chatty characters, both to overhear and to berate you about nonviolence, alternate plot paths and scenario resolutions (eg Gunther), like four different ways to progress into the main building, a bunch of optional side areas... except that nobody gets hooked playing it the first time, it was doing too much without guidance and player attention levels plummet after the first accidental gunfight.

So like, as a standalone demo it would have been amazing (anyone remember Junkyard demo for Fallout?), but maybe something more structured for the first ten minutes post-tutorial whoulda been better in hindsight.

But that's exactly what the DX demo is, and 14 year old me played the poo poo out of it. I can't think of a better introduction to a game too. The terrorist leader in the Statue of Liberty which you see at all times. The NSF are spaced out far enough you can just shoot everyone in the head without a supressor. It's the perfect playground and bouncing off it means bouncing off the game's mechanics.