Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I didn’t get that the omenkiller was supposed to be a Capra demon reference either because the area you fight him in isn’t bullshit and the dogs don’t aggro at the same time he does so it was way easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
It took me three Souls games, Sekiro, and 350 hours in Elden Ring, but I've finally figured out how to reliably parry most of the time in a From Software game. It felt pretty cool clowning on Siluria and going completely untouched while there were 100 bloodstains nearby.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ariong posted:

I crossed the bridge leading to the rock formation that has crystals on it and a purple item (I think it was a stonesword key, but maybe it was some talisman?) and I definitely killed all the enemies there but I don't recall exactly what enemies were over there. It didn't leave much of an impression I guess.

There's another bridge to your left in the area at the top where you fight the perfumer in that really dark area, before you meet the person who gives you the medallion. There's a miniboss in that area to which you can summon Nepheli, though that's not required for her to move. You just have to kill the miniboss. It's easy to miss that bridge because you get pulled forward due to the right with the perfumer and it's not easily visible on the way back.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think it speaks to my point that the experience of the game bugging so progression on a questline is no longer possible is so very similar to the intended Elden Ring questline experience. Like, to the point that they are indistinguishable unless you look up a walkthrough, or post about your experience on a forum and have someone call you an idiot because you obviously failed to do [thing you totally did.]

v1ld posted:

There's another bridge to your left in the area at the top where you fight the perfumer in that really dark area, before you meet the person who gives you the medallion. There's a miniboss in that area to which you can summon Nepheli, though that's not required for her to move. You just have to kill the miniboss. It's easy to miss that bridge because you get pulled forward due to the right with the perfumer and it's not easily visible on the way back.

I really think I did that but I don't currently have a way of confirming. Let's just assume I failed to do it because that would be funnier.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Some points of nephelli's quest line get stuck on talking to Gideon. And the final site of grace seems to need to be reloaded/refreshed like 3 times for the various quest flags to get sorted out.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Disco Pope posted:

You'll know the Omen Killer when you see it, it's a minor set-piece (and it must be a homage to the Capra Demon, right?)

Be wary of dog therefore seems familiar...

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

You'll know the Omen Killer when you see it, it's a minor set-piece (and it must be a homage to the Capra Demon, right?)

I thought it was a Capra reference too, and go for the drat dogs first in honor of that theme. (Dogs are terrifying.)

khwarezm posted:

Elden Ring is hard but its more, how would I put this... conventionally hard if that makes sense? Its hard because the combat is hard, a lot harder than the previous games, so its mostly down to enemies doing crazy damage and having much more difficult attack patterns than games past, but the kind of difficulty in something like DS1 and Demon's Souls is more 'meta', things like the heavy blows that missing a crystal Lizard mean, as you mention here, or what I was talking about earlier with things like how the fast travel mechanics worked in DS1, or the way in which the curse mechanic worked (absolutely brutal for new players). Elden Ring has a lot less of these kinds of more broad mechanics that can seriously gently caress over the player from a more zoomed out perspective, as others have noted even in the NPC quests there are a lot less instances of the player getting screwed out of progression because of things like missing a critical action in a certain timeframe, its more pure combat difficulty in a more easy to digest kind of way.

Yeah, completely agree. Good summary.

Another example of player unfriendly mechanics locking you out of stuff from Demons Souls is losing out on world tendency events because you could only get to pure white once per run. There were enough ways to drop tendency that you could miss stuff through no fault of your own.

I once lost pure white by saving the game in the nexus. Then next login, the game averages you against the global tendency worldwide ... Bye bye, pure white. I'll see you next run.

The newer the From game, the less there is of this kind of thing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Something that I think is important to note about DS1 is that the player can complete the entire game and almost entirely miss the core thematic elements of the whole series!
Its easy as sin to go through the whole game completely unaware of Kaathe or the illusory nature of Anor Londo and especially Gwynevere and interpret the game as basically just a story of a noble warrior completing the epic quest given to them by Great Chest Ahead lady and a Hapsburg worm to return a world down on its luck to a state of splendour by killing the obvious bad guys. They might think its a bit weird that the game's tone is so dark for such a perfunctory story, but for a new player it takes a massive amount of digging and acting outside of the expected norms to become aware of the reality of the world of Dark Souls and explicitly realize the underlying themes of repetitious decay and an injust system being maintained by the powerful through deceit and exploitation because they fear the oncoming change that must happen eventually and will do literally anything to prevent the status quo from being unsettled.

The entire surface clarity vs underlying murkiness nature of Dark Souls would be impossible or at least extremely hard to pull off with an explicit quest log.

Morrowind pulled it off brilliantly and has a quest log but it's also full of unreliable narrators, including the quest log. Ken Ralston required there to be no one truth to the story, so it's left to you to judge.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

v1ld posted:

The entire surface clarity vs underlying murkiness nature of Dark Souls would be impossible or at least extremely hard to pull off with an explicit quest log.

I don't agree if its just keeping track of what NPCs have asked you to do. Like say for example you had a log for Sellen and it updates with 'Mistress Sellen has asked me to seek out Master Lusat and given me a charm to break the seal binding him', this is just information that Sellen explicitly told you in person, what's the issue?

It doesn't need to be an actual guide, its just notes that might help the player keep track of things and maybe provide a couple more hints for the more obscure stuff.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I don't agree if its just keeping track of what NPCs have asked you to do. Like say for example you had a log for Sellen and it updates with 'Mistress Sellen has asked me to seek out Master Lusat and given me a charm to break the seal binding him', this is just information that Sellen explicitly told you in person, what's the issue?

It doesn't need to be an actual guide, its just notes that might help the player keep track of things and maybe provide a couple more hints for the more obscure stuff.

How would you refer to Big Chest Ahead for example? Which pronoun, I mean.

I agree though that if it's just a dialog log, the problem goes away. It's summarizing the dialog that causes problems if you take the summary as a reliable narrator.

A dialog log is a great idea in these games.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

v1ld posted:

How would you refer to Big Chest Ahead for example? Which pronoun, I mean.

I dunno, I'd probably have the player character take Gwynevere at face value in terms of anything that's written down, until they break the illusion.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

v1ld posted:

It's summarizing the dialog that causes problems if you take the summary as a reliable narrator.

This could lead to some amusing misdirection, though. Outer Wilds does the "summary log" and in doing so manages to very convincingly mislead most players into believing something very untrue, which it uses to what I thought was great effect later on. It never actually lies, just... it's a game that trusts you to put the pieces together, and in this case the pieces it gives you fit together in a way that's just ambiguous enough to convince you figured it out.

I could see something like that working quite well here, especially if the "quest log" was some particularly character/entity with its own goals and voice. (and if you kill them, of course, you lose access to it, which would obviously be required for some ending or other)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/cusxck/status/1324105832917848064?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

What gets me about the difficulty of Elden Ring is i'm not sure there's a way you're supposed to beat some of these bosses. like, maliketh phase two will punish you for attacking, and punish you for running. you can memorize attack combos and patterns, but those can all end prematurely, or seem to extend indefinitely, but at the moment you least expect will end with a giant explosion that gives you a life draining dot after chunking 3/4 of your health in one hit, and then add on a sekiro aoe storm slash thing that can't be dodged or blocked. Maliketh is straight up a parody of a souls boss. yes i'm replaying the game and i'm on death 15 for this shithead, why do you ask?

I get hyped up to replay elden ring and think about what i'm gonna do in ng+ and then i get to the boss slog at the end and drop it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The best approach I've found for Maliketh is just massive alpha damage. +poise damage tear, high poise attack like Lion's Claw, every buff you can manage, and just go apeshit. With the exception of his explosion, you're safer by his butt than you'd expect, but really I only ever did my damage when he was recovering from his big combo and massively stacking holy resist for in between.

He's got a glass jaw which is your only real advantage in the fight, I can't imagine how much harder he and Godfrey would be on higher NG cycles because they no longer have their piddly health pools.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Epic High Five posted:

The best approach I've found for Maliketh is just massive alpha damage. +poise damage tear, high poise attack like Lion's Claw, every buff you can manage, and just go apeshit. With the exception of his explosion, you're safer by his butt than you'd expect, but really I only ever did my damage when he was recovering from his big combo and massively stacking holy resist for in between.

yeah i'm going aggro but just get unlucky. i'm just gonna level some and take my anger out on the banished omen in the capitol sewers, as Marika intended.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Astrochicken posted:

yeah i'm going aggro but just get unlucky. i'm just gonna level some and take my anger out on the banished omen in the capitol sewers, as Marika intended.

All his non-physical damage is holy, stack as much of that as possible. Using a shield against Beast also made it pretty easy to get to him without using too many flasks, but mostly it was the holy resist and 60 vigor lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maliketh fight is the game switching things up on you. It punishes the "wait for openings" play style that you probably used the entire game. Maliketh is too fast and has too quick of real openings to do that with. Instead, running at him fists flying in the hopes he falls over first is the way to go. Learn to gtfo of the explosion and ride his butt.

You poise break him you won, that's how much of a glass cannon he is.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
there's an item that lets you parry his attacks, you can get it nearby in farum azula

also ng+ is a victory lap, way easier than the first time through (or maybe i was just overleveled). I'd imagine it gets harder at like NG+++ or NG4

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I lost to maliketh a couple times when black knife tiche chose to RP walk on the opposite side of the arena for 30 seconds and won on the attempt where she instead went apeshit and did Devil May Cry combos on him and killed him for me. I think he's easy if she just does that

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Astrochicken posted:

What gets me about the difficulty of Elden Ring is i'm not sure there's a way you're supposed to beat some of these bosses. like, maliketh phase two will punish you for attacking, and punish you for running. you can memorize attack combos and patterns, but those can all end prematurely, or seem to extend indefinitely, but at the moment you least expect will end with a giant explosion that gives you a life draining dot after chunking 3/4 of your health in one hit, and then add on a sekiro aoe storm slash thing that can't be dodged or blocked. Maliketh is straight up a parody of a souls boss. yes i'm replaying the game and i'm on death 15 for this shithead, why do you ask?

I get hyped up to replay elden ring and think about what i'm gonna do in ng+ and then i get to the boss slog at the end and drop it.

I just walked in and wailed on him with two big rear end weapons and he fell over and died pretty fast. I think I used two flasks.

Not sure how I'd fight him without two bigass weapons.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Everything Malekith does can be dodged they're just scary and unintuitive dodges. Like the giant aoe slash storm is a very fancy "punish you for panic rolling away from the boss" and is neatly avoided if you recognize it's coming to finish his combo and roll towards and behind him.

Also pillars, da pillars.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Doomykins posted:

Everything Malekith does can be dodged they're just scary and unintuitive dodges. Like the giant aoe slash storm is a very fancy "punish you for panic rolling away from the boss" and is neatly avoided if you recognize it's coming to finish his combo and roll towards and behind him.

Rolling into the attack is good advice for a lot of fights really. More people should try it on fights they're struggling with.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Mustached Demon posted:

Rolling into the attack is good advice for a lot of fights really. More people should try it on fights they're struggling with.

This. Rolling forwards really became a central tactic as of Bloodborne. Practically the ONLY thing the Gascoigne fight is teaching you is: stop dodging backwards, stupid. Because that is the one thing in that fight that will literally get you killed every time, as all of his combos move in a straight line, and iirc, with the exception of one, can't really change direction. So if you can't train your reptile brain to stop moving backwards, you just eat hit after hit.

Was very useful in DS3 as well.

It's a great mechanic because it's an interesting challenge trying to overcome what is a natural impulse during fight or flight situations: to get AS FAR AWAY from The Thing, but for a lot of fights in the game, getting right up all in The Thing's areas is the better tactic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Watching streamers who have played Elden Ring for a million hours on challenge runs has been very enlightening to me as you learn just how many boss attacks do literally nothing to you if you’re simply standing at point blank range.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

exquisite tea posted:

Watching streamers who have played Elden Ring for a million hours on challenge runs has been very enlightening to me as you learn just how many boss attacks do literally nothing to you if you’re simply standing at point blank range.

Ha. My favorite spot to do this is Renalla, if you have a human summon. When Phase 2 starts, it spawns the Host first, then the summon, then Renalla. If you sprint forward a bit as soon as you spawn, you will be at point blank range as soon as she spawns, and she will still do the laser beam which at point blank range misses you completely. It's like a free 25% of her health bar right at the start of the phase because you can just swing for the fences.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elden Ring's bosses are generally designed to punish you for rolling or running directly away, but give pretty big safety spots and openings if you roll towards the enemy.

Once you realize that it's a lot more manageable.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i think with stuff like Millicents questline not making sense, it comes from FromSoft having a habit of changing pretty much of all their lore and NPC/Boss locations pretty close to release. There might have been very good and logical reasons for Millicent (or whoever else it might've been earlier? Malenia?) appearing where they did, but because they cut up quests like they do, it ends up incoherent and weird.

UnderFreddy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 19, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Brings me back to the old Monster Hunter days when the real pros rolled into Black Diablos charges :getin:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Throwing in my 2c: I followed the Roundtable Guide from the word go because I knew the game had a reputation. Not as bad as DS3, but still a bit too much at times. But I also didn't have the thing pinned up on a second screen the whole time, it was more like prepwork and then if something didn't add up I'd go back and consult it again.

In my personal experience, Millicent @ Altus is screamingly obvious. That whole area funnels you toward that particular grace and she's standing on flat, elevated ground contrasting against the horizon. I think the two obvious hiccups are one, that at least IIRC area flows naturally from taking the wyrm tunnel up to Altus. If you take the lift, it's a detour. And two, the open world and pseudo open-ended nature of the game changes the context. If you're doing things in an order where that grace was encountered hours ago and then you get Millicent moving, suddenly her appearance there is completely arbitrary rather than a more organic encounter. (Compare and contrast Seigmeyer at the Sens gate, inside Sens, inside Anor Londo...middle of Blighttown swamp.)

As was said, the truly dire quest problems are the ones that require you to reload the area or the game entirely. Millicent's endgame is lousy with it, Hayetta has a stuck spot requiring it, Jar Bairn is pretty infamous for having a nonsensically random inability to say the one line of dialogue that progresses things forward...

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I haven't beat the game yet and I'm assuming there's multiple endings based on the mending rune you use, do you have the opportunity to go back and try different ones or do you only get one per run and you're locked out

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I haven't beat the game yet and I'm assuming there's multiple endings based on the mending rune you use, do you have the opportunity to go back and try different ones or do you only get one per run and you're locked out

Nearly sure it's only one ending per new game cycle. Not missing much, every ending is maybe 20 seconds of different cutscene. You're not going to want to replay this gigantic game just for those.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Officially its one and done, unofficially you can do several endings in one go using cloud save trickery - provided you've completed the relevant quests for each ending.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

exquisite tea posted:

Got any recommendations?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

UnderFreddy posted:

i think with stuff like Millicents questline not making sense, it comes from FromSoft having a habit of changing pretty much of all their lore and NPC/Boss locations pretty close to release. There might have been very good and logical reasons for Millicent (or whoever else it might've been earlier? Melina) appearing where they did, but because they cut up quests like they do, it ends up incoherent and weird.

Kind of. Millicent’s movements actually do make sense in retrospect, when you consider that she’s trying to go as far north as possible to get to the Haligtree—even Windmill Village, which seems really out of the way, is at the northern extremity of Altus and you can see the Snowfields and Haligtree from its edge on a clear day. But she never says explicitly where she’s going to be next because that would leave the devs beholden to her already-recorded dialogue, when they would prefer to have the freedom to move her to locations they think the player can find. Obviously this is a judgment call and players will still miss stuff.

Most NPCs in all these games have some degree of this vague relationship with their environment, and it’s because it’s much easier and cheaper for the devs to move the NPC somewhere they like better than it is for them to have the voice actors record new lines. at one extreme you can get characters like Lucatiel in DS2 who literally have nothing whatsoever to say about where they are and truly move about arbitrarily, turning up wherever the player happens to run into them and reading their lines in fixed order. At another you get guys like Gowry or the finger readers in this game, who are sometimes quite precise about locational stuff, but don’t move around at all.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I think the people that missed millicent are usually the ones who went to altus before caelid.

Which the game kinda signposts you towards Altus unless youre doing Ranni's quest (and even then you have to go there to start the festival).

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my only encounter with millicent was when she invaded me in caelid while I was killing cleanrot knights for armor pieces

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

i hate maliketh because I'm just getting the poo poo he does sorted a few attempts in and then next time he'll just do the stupid overhead slash that can barely even hit you if you stand still that he's incredibly vulnerable during and he just dies

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
https://twitter.com/ordheist/status/1648681470544756737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Doomykins posted:

all of the humanoid bosses in Elden Ring's endgame are hard but basically fair; Morgott, Maliketh, Godfrey, and Radagon are all just slightly-spicier DS3 bosses and all of them own

the only real exception is Malenia, and it's less Malenia than "just Waterfowl Dance, specifically"

Fire Giant and Elden Beast kind of suck but Fire Giant's over quickly if you understand the gimmick and Elden Beast could be fixed instantly by allowing the player to use Torrent. and Placidusax is one of the least annoying dragon/demon fights they've ever made, although, again, you should be able to horse; there's just less call for it since he always comes back to center stage anyways