Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I tried playing some PS1 stuff on my PSP when I got it but the lack of L2/R2 starts to really limit what you can play after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
This is the latest Vita homebrew repo btw:
https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/

There's a homebrew downloader app in there to streamline installs. Some of the Android ports require an apk data file from an Android install so there's that.

Basiclly you follow the vita.hacks guide, get your downloaders set up (VitaDB app, pkgj, etc) and the world is your oyster.

/r/vitahacks is where most releases are announced, although one person has been spamming their dumb custom themes recently.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Anybody know of a way to get the DLC for Vampire Survivors on a version installed through the Aurora store? When you try from in-game it just says it can only be installed through the Play store version.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Also watching these videos is there a reason that Linux is unable to make use of the touch screen on these devices, seems a bit odd considering the Steam Deck also uses Linux but can use its touch screen no problem

I just realized this was never properly answered. It's still not going to be because I'm not a linux guy and don't really know what I'm talking about, but from what I've gathered from Discord:

The kernel on these things is a closed-source thing provided by rockchip/anbernic and setting up hardware in it that they didn't ship support for is apparently incredibly difficult or impossible. The hardware in these things is generally a known quantity, it's the kernel that's the problem. There are ongoing efforts to get the Linux "mainline kernel" supported in these things, but I guess that's really complicated and difficult, and the people doing it are just working in their spare time for free/fun, so that hasn't been accomplished yet.

That's the extent of my understanding and if you're not a linux guy it probably just raises further questions I can't answer. Suffice to say if you see any scuttlebutt & excitement about getting the "mainline kernel" working on any of these devices, a working touchscreen is just one of many reasons why.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I got one Miyoo Mini Plus from Amazon and another from AliExpress. Theres no consistency with the sd cards at all.

1) Different brands
2) Totally different games on both

Cant complain though makes it dope to combine both libraries together.

AliExpress shipping took less than two weeks if youre willing to wait.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I also got my Miyoo Mini Plus and didn’t realize until way too late that all of my problems with the device were because I was using a version of OnionOS that doesn’t work on the Plus.

Grabbed the 4.2 beta and everything is smooth sailing.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Anyone have any opinions about which to go with between the Razer Kishi or the GameSir X2?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I have a kishi and like it (great for game pass on my phone), but i've heard bad things about the V2

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d go with the Kishi tbh. You can get it pretty discounted and you don’t have to deal with any potential blue tooth issues (if you are doing emulation).

I have a Kishi and a backbone and tbh they are both close enough that I’d just go with the cheaper option.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scuba Trooper posted:

I have a kishi and like it (great for game pass on my phone), but i've heard bad things about the V2

I have the V2 and it's great. The buttons are all very clicky which I guess I could see being an issue for some people but I like it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

I have the V2 and it's great. The buttons are all very clicky which I guess I could see being an issue for some people but I like it.

Yeah the backbone has the super clicky buttons and I kinda don’t like them. I like the mushy ones better.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I also recommend looking at the Gamevice Flex its basically an improvement over the Kishi V1 with subjectively better buttons. The coolest feature is that it has fitting pieces that u can change out so that you get a custom fit for the phone + case.

Otherwise just get a kishi v1 since its like $40-50 now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Green Gloves posted:

I also recommend looking at the Gamevice Flex its basically an improvement over the Kishi V1 with subjectively better buttons. The coolest feature is that it has fitting pieces that u can change out so that you get a custom fit for the phone + case.

Otherwise just get a kishi v1 since its like $40-50 now.

This is my biggest complaint about the Kishi or backbone. I hate having to take off my case to use either of them.

Oh poo poo it has full-size sticks?? I might just have to buy it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Any major problems with the 405M? Might upgrade from my 353M since Saturn supposedly runs better though I’m not too keen on relying on Android

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

hatty posted:

Any major problems with the 405M? Might upgrade from my 353M since Saturn supposedly runs better though I’m not too keen on relying on Android

I've been seeing lots of people complaining about the screen coming off on them (check Reddit). I opted to get the RG353M over the RG405M just this past week mainly because of Linux (and the dpad placement). I'm loving that ArkOS added the ability to change Panel Brightness, Contrast, Saturation and Hue. Such a big difference in quality.

Which Saturn games were you having issues running on the device? I'll have to test some out since I haven't really played any games from that console yet.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The gamesir can connect directly via usb-c, which means no charging and no input lag, plus they paid off some of the shadier emulation devs to give special treatment to gamesir users. The eggns switch emulator for example runs amazing on the latest phones, but you need to use credits to buy playtime unless you're using a gamesir.

Whether you want to reward such underhanded and possibly illegal business practices is up to you, but I just finished playing through metroid dread in 2x resolution with ultra wide screen hacks

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
When I brought the Gamesir, there was only one switch emulator, could only ran on the gamesir. Now you get more options, on any android.

Keep in mind you may not like play games with the hand so far apart, I don't like the feeling myself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I ordered the game vice flex as it should solve most of the problems I had with the other telescoping controllers.

Full-size sticks
Can use with a case on
Decent ergonomics
Good buttons

I had a $50 Amazon credit so it didn’t quite sting so bad.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Keep in mind you may not like play games with the hand so far apart, I don't like the feeling myself.

Yeah, I get that with the regular Switch as well.

I'm not sure what options there are for the more classic controller style with a mount.

The 8Bitdo Sn30 Pro maybe?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Vakal posted:

Yeah, I get that with the regular Switch as well.

I'm not sure what options there are for the more classic controller style with a mount.

The 8Bitdo Sn30 Pro maybe?

where does the xbox go?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well you can buy a phone clip to mount on your regular ps4/xbox controller.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.
Anyone have suggestions for where to pick up a Miyoo Mini Plus these days? Would normally go to the official Ali express store for Miyoo, but looks like they’re out - wasn’t sure if there was a solid option beyond that.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
I have the retroid 3 but need suggestions what you guys enjoy on it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

kneelbeforezog posted:

Mario 3 is the best game ever made on any system. And if you haven't played it in a while you should go check it out again. And if you never did, I don't know what to tell you.

Also, go play some Crazy Taxi, too. I dunno what genres you like, but it's a solid rec for anyone.

Kikuchiyo posted:

Anyone have suggestions for where to pick up a Miyoo Mini Plus these days? Would normally go to the official Ali express store for Miyoo, but looks like they’re out - wasn’t sure if there was a solid option beyond that.

There aren't any Miyoo Mini, Plus or otherwise, available anywhere. A ridiculous low amount of those devices were made available for purchase.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

kneelbeforezog posted:

Here's some bangers: MUSHA, Cybernator, Jumping Flash, Bushido Blade 2, Kuru Kuru Kururin, Advance Wars, Metroid Fusion, Bubble Bobble, Devil's Crush, Soldier Blade, Pokemon Pinball (GBC or GBA versions), Elevator Action Returns. Flip it tate style and try Armed Police Batrider on MAME

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Saoshyant posted:

There aren't any Miyoo Mini, Plus or otherwise, available anywhere. A ridiculous low amount of those devices were made available for purchase.

KeepRetro has them in stock. I bought from Amazon for an extra :10bux: so...

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I bought my Miyoo Mini Plus from AliExpress/Ampown Official Store on April 4th for $65.01 and it just arrived today. Two weeks, not bad at all.

Two left in the gray as of this second: https://m.aliexpress.us/item/325680...randl_shipto=US

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Thanks for all the vita homebrew stuff. Anything up to ps1 is good for me so souns OK. A mate gave me it ages ago and I've been planning to do something with it.. never really used it as a vita so reassurances about the up to date links/guides much appreciated..

Back around 2018 I made my own solution of a raspberry pi , with a screen plugged into the io hat pins things, a chappy speaker, and a mobile battery pcb. It worked pretty well for taking to the pub to play a bit of old mame or snes or whatever.

I never bothered with a case though so it was pretty fragile, and would have to lug about a few cheap controllers too. Unfortunately something broke and that got relegated to telly sometime after lockdown when I didn't have time to fix. It's cool there are so many cheapish better options now.

Anything out there good to plug an extra controller into for portable multilayer?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

kneelbeforezog posted:

I played chrono trigger, yoshi's island, advance wars, am moving on to shiren the wanderer. Next up is Metal Gear Solid

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

I bought my Miyoo Mini Plus from AliExpress/Ampown Official Store on April 4th for $65.01 and it just arrived today. Two weeks, not bad at all.

Two left in the gray as of this second: https://m.aliexpress.us/item/325680...randl_shipto=US

Ampown is good. I bought one from them on Amazon. I also bought one from this AliExpress seller and it arrived in less two weeks as well. Pretty much any reputable seller on AliExpress with good reviews should be fine.

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/325680...randl_shipto=US

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ben Soosneb posted:

Thanks for all the vita homebrew stuff. Anything up to ps1 is good for me so souns OK. A mate gave me it ages ago and I've been planning to do something with it.. never really used it as a vita so reassurances about the up to date links/guides much appreciated..

Back around 2018 I made my own solution of a raspberry pi , with a screen plugged into the io hat pins things, a chappy speaker, and a mobile battery pcb. It worked pretty well for taking to the pub to play a bit of old mame or snes or whatever.

I never bothered with a case though so it was pretty fragile, and would have to lug about a few cheap controllers too. Unfortunately something broke and that got relegated to telly sometime after lockdown when I didn't have time to fix. It's cool there are so many cheapish better options now.

Anything out there good to plug an extra controller into for portable multilayer?

The Anbernic RG353 series* of handhelds have Bluetooth capability and thus will work with most modern Bluetooth controllers(I imagine you could probably hook up a controller through the USB C "OTG" slot on them as well, maybe more if you used a USB hub), they also all have a mini HDMI port built in so you can plug them into a TV or monitor and thus are probably one of the better options for what you're looking for, striking a decent mix of power(can run up to N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, PSP, and DS to reasonable degrees of success), versatility(since it can do both Linux and Android** and has alternate firmwares available for both instead of having to use the stock ones which will let you squeeze a bit extra power out of the devices), and cost(depending on who or where you buy it from they range from 130 to about 150 dollars for the P and V models, slightly more for the M model since that one has a metal shell)

*those being the RG353P(plastic cased model, looks a bit like an SNES controller in design), the RG353V(a vertical oriented model in the vein of the original Game Boy), and the RG353M(has a metal case, uses the design language of Anbernic's older handhelds)

**well except the RG353VS model which drops Android capability and the touch screen(since the touch screens they have don't work with Linux) though in exchange it also is a fair bit cheaper than the other two plastic shelled models(a little over 90 bucks compared to the 130 dollars the regular V and P models have as their MSRP), apparently Anbernic also teased a similar cheaper version for the P recently

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Is there a fix for the Miyoo+'s screen yet? Been holding off until either Miyoo fixes things themselves or someone comes up with a fix, since this is going to be gifted.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

What’s the most portable handheld device that runs Windows? Is it one of the AYN devices?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Ben Soosneb posted:

A better option for portable multiplayer is probably to just get a second device and set up ad hoc (or phone hotspot?) wifi. I have no idea if any of these can be used to set up an ad hoc network though, I don't see any easy/obvious way to do that in arkos, but probably one of the android systems could.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If any of the tiny device (35xx/Miyoo) can get arcade multi player working it will sell a lot of devices.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

LODGE NORTH posted:

What’s the most portable handheld device that runs Windows? Is it one of the AYN devices?

GPD win 4

Half the size of the steam deck for only twice the price

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LODGE NORTH posted:

I really want to say Windows Phone

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

flavor.flv posted:

GPD win 4

Half the size of the steam deck for only twice the price

Currently available it’s this yeah the Aya devices are also small. AYN hasn’t actually produced their windows device yet.

In a few months this should be the smallest though.

https://youtu.be/rZJ6W-gbK7c

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Currently available it’s this yeah the Aya devices are also small. AYN hasn’t actually produced their windows device yet.

In a few months this should be the smallest though.

https://youtu.be/rZJ6W-gbK7c

This guy said the GPD Win mini will have a 7" screen, and Win 4 is a 6" screen so its still smaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

This guy said the GPD Win mini will have a 7" screen, and Win 4 is a 6" screen so its still smaller.

This mini will be a clamshell device though so even with the 7 inch screen it will be slightly smaller.