Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The baseball kid movie boom is (guessing) due to Hollywood producers being 40ish baby boomers who felt big nostalgia after watching Field of Dreams and wanted movies for their kids to watch to better understand why anyone could be nostalgic for basesball, especially during the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All it really did was drive home that baseball is loving boring

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I see people all the time who pay tickets to see the padres and im just smdh. Wtf even are baseball tickets nowadays

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

They can be really cheap if your team sucks.

Like less than 10bux. Of course then fees get you.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Does anyone else think it is really weird that in the movie "Rookie of the Year" that the National Baseball League is allowed to hire a 13-year old and cripple him?

honestly? no

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zachack posted:

They can be really cheap if your team sucks.

Like less than 10bux. Of course then fees get you.

I guess if your going with friends its sonething to do/organize around but drat its boring as gently caress lol. Only ever went once with ppl and was in those poo poo tier 2nd floor/top seats. Baseball is a mystery.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Prayer is probably required because every other team is either forsaken by God or is capable of winning on their own devices. You can give the Angels an entire roster of generational talent and still get 4th in the division, clearly something else is going to be required.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love the poo poo out of baseball and have for almost 30 years but I’m never, ever going to try to convince anybody it’s not boring because it clearly is.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I love the poo poo out of baseball and have for almost 30 years but I’m never, ever going to try to convince anybody it’s not boring because it clearly is.

Being boring is a feature, not a bug. It's for chilling out, not winding up.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

WoodrowSkillson posted:

gently caress it whatever

Whew

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

There's a pitch clock now, it's actually pretty zippy compared to before though the games are still about as long as it may be entirely psychological. Also batters can only leave the box once per at bat and not twice per pitch as was the previous custom.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's boring tho, like most sports you really have to grow up following it to really give a poo poo about it.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah the pitch clock seems like a big improvement, not just for speeding up the game but reviving base stealing. I haven’t been able to psychologically alter my evening routine enough to actually watch any games this year besides the WBC final (which, wow) but I’m looking forward to it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mellow Seas posted:

Well, that was an accident, a kid can slip on a baseball anywhere, the fact that it was on the infield at Wrigley doesn’t change that. And that incident UNcrippled him; it didn’t just take away his powers but also gave him back full motor control over his right arm.

Going from a World Series winning professional pitcher to a regular 13-year old whose dad doesn't love him counts as crippling.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Advertisers and sports clubs triangulating to find a way to speed up baseball so more people watch and slow down soccer so that they can start jamming ads in there.

j/k about the second half of that, VAR has been great for exposing divers and denying them penalties

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Growing up my old man was a yankees fan (from nyc) so whenever baseball came up id be like yeah the yankees baby to go with the flow, not realizing i was aligning myself with baseball al qaeda

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
once you get past the boringness of baseball, you get to enjoy how every team is run like it's owned by a hedge fund looking for an exit

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cease to Hope posted:

once you get past the boringness of baseball, you get to enjoy how every team is run like it's owned by a hedge fund looking for an exit

Except for the Mets, whose owner is willing to set any quantity of money on fire for a shot at a World Series, and who is, ironically, literally a hedge fund manager. Much preferable to my Yankees who are run by relatively cheap failsons.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Judgy Fucker posted:

Don;t knock grudge probing until you've tried it

if i didn't hate the very concept of moderation i'd take your advice and try it out

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Does anyone else think it is really weird that in the movie "Rookie of the Year" that the National Baseball League is allowed to hire a 13-year old and cripple him?

i have bad news about caribbean mlb feeder teams

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Homeless Friend posted:

I see people all the time who pay tickets to see the padres and im just smdh. Wtf even are baseball tickets nowadays

cubs at dodgers tickets this weekend were $125-175 for field level seats between third base and home plate. factor in the price of beer and parking and you get some eye popping numbers

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

in conclusion, crimea belongs to me

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i made a sourdough starter over passover and now centrelink is making me clean toilets lol

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i'm not saying the two events are connected or that i brought any kind of divine misfortune on myself. but

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it beats boils and locusts. i don't know about water turning to blood

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the flies are just par for the course

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i think they're starting to just make up mods for d&d, soon the only name i'll recognize will be vilerat

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i think they're starting to just make up mods for d&d, soon the only name i'll recognize will be vilerat

Leon bit the dust for unexplained reasons. SAD is quite the bloodbath. I could make a fortune selling pitchforks and torches there.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Leon bit the dust for unexplained reasons. SAD is quite the bloodbath. I could make a fortune selling pitchforks and torches there.

i'm sure glad that fluff posted that somewhere public and relevant to d&d posters, like page 15 of a thread about how everyone who posts in d&d is some kind of freak

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wait what the gently caress, they got Leon?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The relevant post

Fluffdaddy posted:

I have demodded Leon at this time for not respecting the privacy of users. For PI sake I won't go into details, but we have zero tolerance for not respecting the privacy of all users, no matter what our personal feelings are about them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Come for the queen you'd best not miss. Sorry, boys. :wink:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

(jk, he wasn't demodded on my behalf)

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Willa Rogers posted:

Come for the queen you'd best not miss. Sorry, boys. :wink:
your perpetually smouldering feud with leon was one of the best things about doomsday econ

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

this story must be really embarrassing for the admins, otherwise fluff would absolutely be bragging about every little detail

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

this story must be really embarrassing for the admins, otherwise fluff would absolutely be bragging about every little detail

well, glad to be wrong about this one, everyone just made fun of him for posting badly instead

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Cease to Hope posted:

i'm sure glad that fluff posted that somewhere public and relevant to d&d posters, like page 15 of a thread about how everyone who posts in d&d is some kind of freak

Good chance whatever it is is made up and the admins are doing whatever the mob is asking for to shut them up vOv

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Somaen posted:

Good chance whatever it is is made up and the admins are doing whatever the mob is asking for to shut them up vOv

that does not seem like a likely thing to me, no. in fact, that seems like a bizarre and paranoid thing to believe

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
It's quite likely indeed, for example, pointing out that the moronic extremely hostile poster, posting in the exact same voice and the exact same things, is the same guy on a different account (as opposed to a rename), was lyingly misconstrued as "doxxing", which is of course a different thing, but it gets the admins reacting, so it'll continue to be used

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

is there any taste of power with as bitter an aftertaste as moderating something awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

that does not seem like a likely thing to me, no. in fact, that seems like a bizarre and paranoid thing to believe

You're right. Everyone is clearly behaving very calmly and rationally at the moment.