Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Didn't love playing chorfs but fighting them as dorfs is a heap of fun. They just blow the poo poo out of your beautiful line, engage you in arty wars and the fighting is always knock em down drag em out. Their big number of monsters and bullshit is also great as there's a lot for Ungrim and slayers to do. I've got all the chaos factions coming in through Astragoth's territory along with him and the southern chorfs. Absolutely hectic defending the mountains right now it's a great campaign with the mean new enemies in the badlands.

I'm about to send a sneaky army up the river tho to start attacking them in the rear hehehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Won my first game as IE Zhatan, the resource juggling is really, really, really fun and both escalates and keeps relevant throughout the game. Regarding the actual combat, yeah we can expect some major nerfs down the line but for now having a dominant gunline kicks rear end.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I may have localized my crashing issue. It seems to only occur when I access the details page for my faction leader, Zhatan the Black, directly. I was however able to access it by swapping to it from another character which seems to have resolved the issue? Truly bizarre.

Levin fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 19, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Levin posted:

I may have localized my crashing issue. It seems to only occur when I access the details page for my faction leader, Zhatan the Black, directly. I was however able to access it by swapping to it from another character which seems to have resolved the issue? Truly bizarre.

That sounds like you need to verify your game files

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mordja posted:

How long could you build their trains in TT anyways?

Iron Daemon + two carriages, each with a single artillery piece IIRC

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Old World is not even vaguely realistic and isn't interested in being some exercise in realpolitik. It is designed to sell a miniatures battle game and smash action figured together; you shouldn't really worry about the moral implication of the rear end in a top hat Dwarves in a world where The Boil On Your rear end Came To Life, and It's Loving It

Yeah just about every faction that doesn't take slaves is basically just genociding everyone anyway.

I wonder what happens when Khorne takes a city? The Undead? They aren't making skeletons down at the factory.

Well, at least they aren't being forced to work!

Who can you even play if you want to be Actually Good? I am not a lore guy. Do the stories in Warhammer ever have someone occupying a city of a different race and just letting them all live? Is there a town where orcs and dwarfs just hang out?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Do the stories in Warhammer ever have someone occupying a city of a different race and just letting them all live? Is there a town where orcs and dwarfs just hang out?

Yeah, Zharr Naggrund

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Cythereal posted:

Going by the tabletop RPG, most places not directly under Chaos' control are pleasant enough to live for the Early Modern era

Is it, though?

You party too hard and now you grow crab claws?

You want to take a hike in the woods and get raped by an ornery goat-man?

There's an empire of angry rats growing under your very feet?

Diseases are literally sentient creatures that want to crawl up your rear end in a top hat?

Even if you die peacefully in your bed some wrinkly fuckhead might resurrect you to be his eternal obedient slave?

Not trying to take the piss, I haven't read the books or played the RPG. Just from my perspective as a Warhams player it seems catastrophic to be alive in this setting anywhere at all. Even when I'm successful my less important settlements still get razed sometimes which essentially means everyone there is loving dead. A "Raiding" army isn't just collecting taxes they are straight out murdering everyone. Even my victorious armies still lose hundreds of men over and over and over again. How many of the original 120 guys in my Greatswords unit are still alive by Turn 80? I'm sure they've been wiped out a dozen times over.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 19, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

hey i still need an answer

can you only krump if you're a greenskin, or is krumping an equal opportunities type deal

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I feel like an Orc who watches his rival get brained by some humie with a hammer would insist that the zoggin weakling did in fact, get krumped.

Maybe krumpin's a state of mind? Like stabbing a beastman in a panic as he raids your farm is just self defense. But getting all your lads together and chasing his band into the woods to burn them out would be a good krumpin.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Settra is the good guy

the whole world could live in perpetual peace and prosperity, with everyone minding their own affairs for the low price of kissing his bony rear end with sufficiently soft lips
and letting him add more names to his list

if he had risen in actual egypt around 400 BC, Plato would have been first in line with his lips puckered

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone have a breakdown of Hashuti spells? I know the starter spell is honestly kind of meh except for when you're firing it off while the caster is tarpitting a mob, in which case it's actually pretty good. Lore attribute also makes that the play (DoT aura). The ash debuff spell slows and inflict fire weakness in a big area, which is the ultimate synergy with the fire lore's weapon enchantment spell. After that, I legit have no idea since my Hashut casters were the sorceror lords for some reason and thus I would spend more skill points on red line skills or whatever. I heard the second tier damage spells were pretty good?

Maybe I should switch it around, have my Hashut casters be the heroes and the Fire casters be the lords.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hashut seems to stack fire weakness, at which point the burning wrath spell can start to do some serious hurt. Beyond that, I'll leave it to someone else.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

How many of the original 120 guys in my Greatswords unit are still alive by Turn 80? I'm sure they've been wiped out a dozen times over.

You can use your imagination or decide the veterans keep passing along the hot tips for swinging a greatsword like a pro.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

toasterwarrior posted:

Anyone have a breakdown of Hashuti spells? I know the starter spell is honestly kind of meh except for when you're firing it off while the caster is tarpitting a mob, in which case it's actually pretty good. Lore attribute also makes that the play (DoT aura). The ash debuff spell slows and inflict fire weakness in a big area, which is the ultimate synergy with the fire lore's weapon enchantment spell. After that, I legit have no idea since my Hashut casters were the sorceror lords for some reason and thus I would spend more skill points on red line skills or whatever. I heard the second tier damage spells were pretty good?

Maybe I should switch it around, have my Hashut casters be the heroes and the Fire casters be the lords.

Both of the higher tier spells are very good. Hell's Hammer is a strong (if slow to cast, don't bother trying to use it against anything not already stuck in melee) linear attack, and whatever the other one is called is an actual absolute army-wiper. It basically spawns a volcano at the target spot, dealing damage immediately, then spawning a bunch of high arcing projectiles that hit in a ring around the initial spot, dealing absurdly massive damage. The total AOE is huge and it'll deal like 75%-99% damage to almost anything stuck in the radius.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

JBP posted:

You can use your imagination or decide the veterans keep passing along the hot tips for swinging a greatsword like a pro.

Lol I renamed one of my units after they had a single guy live after one brutal battle. Irondrake I think, I renamed them "Stonehelm's Greenbeards" since I figured the lone old guy would grumble about all the greenbeards coming into his unit, but he's also imparting his knowledge to keep them at his level so he's kind of a paternal figure.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The volcano explosion thing is crazy powerful. It works really well against larger infantry like ogres too. If you overcast it just obliterates stuff

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Not trying to take the piss, I haven't read the books or played the RPG. Just from my perspective as a Warhams player it seems catastrophic to be alive in this setting anywhere at all. Even when I'm successful my less important settlements still get razed sometimes which essentially means everyone there is loving dead. A "Raiding" army isn't just collecting taxes they are straight out murdering everyone. Even my victorious armies still lose hundreds of men over and over and over again. How many of the original 120 guys in my Greatswords unit are still alive by Turn 80? I'm sure they've been wiped out a dozen times over.

Early Modern Europe, particularly Early Modern central and eastern Europe was a really catastrophic place to be alive. The real world polity the Empire is based on went through over 100 years of religious war involving multiple "Massacres of Placename" fought mostly by mercenaries who did a whole lot of murdering and pillaging culminating in the 30 Years War which was a ridiculously bloody conflict given the technology available. Karl Franz is both incredibly competent and well meaning when compared to more or less any early modern Holy Roman Emperor.

The Empire murders you for worshipping the gods of being evil in really antisocial ways but is otherwise pretty religiously tolerant, the Holy Roman Empire would murder you for fairly minor difference in religious belief. There were multiple plagues and believing the world was coming to an end was at a historic high. It was also the golden age of witch trials.

Arguably the reason Warhammer Fantasy as a setting based around Early Modern Germany works, rather than a more standard medieval fantasy setting is that being cartoonishly unpleasant is pretty much a hallmark of the era and it gives you a lot of material to draw from.

The arguement isn't "the fantasy factions are nice places to live by western 21st century standards" it's "the human fantasy factions come of pretty well compared to the historic society they're based on".

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Zurai posted:

Both of the higher tier spells are very good. Hell's Hammer is a strong (if slow to cast, don't bother trying to use it against anything not already stuck in melee) linear attack, and whatever the other one is called is an actual absolute army-wiper. It basically spawns a volcano at the target spot, dealing damage immediately, then spawning a bunch of high arcing projectiles that hit in a ring around the initial spot, dealing absurdly massive damage. The total AOE is huge and it'll deal like 75%-99% damage to almost anything stuck in the radius.

The Hammer one, once you're fully levelled, is basically an "I win" button in that it wipes out an entire army unit rather easily.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The only faction I don't really like in warhammer fantasy are the orcs. They are really dull compared to their 40K counterparts and their only fun character is Grimgor and he's only really interesting because he beat the poo poo out of Apocalypse Man

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Is it, though?

You party too hard and now you grow crab claws?

You want to take a hike in the woods and get raped by an ornery goat-man?

There's an empire of angry rats growing under your very feet?

Diseases are literally sentient creatures that want to crawl up your rear end in a top hat?

Even if you die peacefully in your bed some wrinkly fuckhead might resurrect you to be his eternal obedient slave?

The setting in general and particularly the Total War games really undersell it but there are long periods of peace between meaningful conflict because you'd have no population left in the Empire let alone Kislev if all the dangers were active at full potency all the time.

All the Chaos stuff doesn't just spontaneously happen because you didn't wash your hands or you got a little too happy to see a serving girl's bosom at the bar. It's the culmination of a lifetime of often tragic and ironic temptation or actively serving a ruinous cult, though that can vary from story to story. There is also the flip side in that good powers exist and can provide direct blessings and have their own clergy spreading non-Chaos.

Vampires and necromancers are a rare danger, not a conga line of assholes passing through the local cemetery. Most Empire citizens will never encounter an elf or lizardman or skaven or ogre or so on in their lives. They might see a wood elf or dwarf if they're lucky or important in their line of work.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 19, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Got my short campaign victory and considered playing even longer than that, which is basically unheard of for me, as Astragoth. Love the campaign. Clearly a lot of love went into the design of the factions mechanics. The outpost/ factory tradeoffs stay interesting and relevant and look like they'll continue to even on an indefinite scale. Blunderbusses absolutely wreck poo poo and between those and the magma cannons I feel like every other unit is just showing up, but I will throw a special shout out to the deathshriekers having a high enough firing arc that they're useful at all parts of a siege, which is unusual for siege weaponry in this game.

Ironically the game slowed down once I took over karak Katrina and starts battling wurzag on my way south. Flashbacks to my first ever campaigns there. Taking a break for oxyotls world tour but I think I will paint the map for a while, see how disgusting I can make my artillery lines.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The only faction I don't really like in warhammer fantasy are the orcs. They are really dull compared to their 40K counterparts and their only fun character is Grimgor and he's only really interesting because he beat the poo poo out of Apocalypse Man

I like to believe that these are the same as the 40k orcs they just haven't invented space travel yet. They also grow from fungus fuckit why not. Why should the fantasy orcs be less fun.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
They really should have leaned more into the idea of Grimgor being Orc Spartacus and just make him hate slavery in all forms. Other Greenskin tribes using slaves? Krumpin time. Chaos raid enslaving some random village near Grimgor's Waaagh! ? Time to krump some Chaos. Rumours of slave market in Marienburg? Time to Waagh into the Empire. Dark Elves and High Elves? Krump em when ya meet them. Skavenslaves!!??? Rats better believe they gonna get krumped. You could go the boring grimdark route and have Grimgor just kill the slaves because they are inferior blah, blah, or you could have throngs of extremely confused slaves tagging along the Waagh! until they are unceremoniously kicked out near what Grimgor considers home territory of that particular race. Which could lead to things like entire Norscan tribe getting deposited in Tilea because humans are humans, right?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zurai posted:

Great to know, thank you. Deffo gonna build out my Hashut casters next run and use less Fire spells. Burning Wind is nice but it really doesn't do well against armor and the higher tier spells are alright but not really army-destroying levels good unless it's a siege and everyone's mobbed up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

They really should have leaned more into the idea of Grimgor being Orc Spartacus and just make him hate slavery in all forms. Other Greenskin tribes using slaves? Krumpin time. Chaos raid enslaving some random village near Grimgor's Waaagh! ? Time to krump some Chaos. Rumours of slave market in Marienburg? Time to Waagh into the Empire. Dark Elves and High Elves? Krump em when ya meet them. Skavenslaves!!??? Rats better believe they gonna get krumped. You could go the boring grimdark route and have Grimgor just kill the slaves because they are inferior blah, blah, or you could have throngs of extremely confused slaves tagging along the Waagh! until they are unceremoniously kicked out near what Grimgor considers home territory of that particular race. Which could lead to things like entire Norscan tribe getting deposited in Tilea because humans are humans, right?

I hated this idea up until returning the extremely confused slaves to their homelands, especially if he then immediately realises they're now enemies and krumps them

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Doomykins posted:

The setting in general and particularly the Total War games really undersell it but there are long periods of peace between meaningful conflict because you'd have no population left in the Empire let alone Kislev if all the dangers were active at full potency all the time.

All the Chaos stuff doesn't just spontaneously happen because you didn't wash your hands or you got a little too happen to see a serving girl's bosom at the bar. It's the culmination of a lifetime of often tragic and ironic temptation or actively serving a ruinous cult, though that can vary from story to story. There is also the flip side in that good powers exist and can provide direct blessings and have their own clergy spreading non-Chaos.

Vampires and necromancers are a rare danger, not a conga line of assholes passing through the local cemetery. Most Empire citizens will never encounter an elf or lizardman or skaven or ogre or so on in their lives. They might see a wood elf or dwarf if they're lucky or important in their line of work.

Yeah, massed chaos invasions with dudes like Archaon are a once in a century or two event, orc warbosses powerful enough to unite a waaagh happen almost never, lizardmen and tomb kings very rarely leave their respective homes, and the reason why Vlad and Mannfred are famous is because those two assholes were the first time in history that the vampires actually rose en masse to conquer humanity instead of just chilling, manipulating politics, and feeding on the odd peasant.

People joke about the "The Empire doesn't believe in Skaven! How stupid! lol!" but that myth exists because open skaven attacks are so rare that it's actually plausible to pretend they don't exist - which is a necessary thing, because telling all your city's citizens that there are seething undercities of chaos ratmen living underneath their feet and there's nothing you can do about it would basically burn the Empire down.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Archaeology Hat posted:

The Empire murders you for worshipping the gods of being evil in really antisocial ways but is otherwise pretty religiously tolerant, the Holy Roman Empire would murder you for fairly minor difference in religious belief.

i know this is the ratman dragonfite thread but c'mon. you're talking about the protestant reformation. it was not a fairly minor difference in religious belief. there are three words in "holy roman empire" and two of them were in dispute.

also the empire has the whole sigmarite/ulrican about-to-be-a-civil-war thing going on in warhammer, it just isn't a significant part of total war because empire has a handful of sigmarite cult units and it's easier for CA if every empire faction has the same unit list.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no, the total clusterfuck of the early modern era was that in addition to the great war between protestants and catholics, protestants would fight protestants over bullshit and catholics would fight catholics over different bullshit. no protestants involved in the great italian wars, no catholics involved in the northern section of the seven years war

there had been 400something years of continual efforts by the catholic church to get european nobles to be less violent, from the peace of god movement (just asking them) to the medieval communes (having a place for them to go where they would swear not to kill peeps) to the crusades (at least kill peeps who we dont really consider peeps) and chivalry (ok at least make knighthood more religious)

that went right to poo poo w the reformation, so not only quantity of war but the character of war changed towards brutality

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 19, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Doomykins posted:

All the Chaos stuff doesn't just spontaneously happen because you didn't wash your hands or you got a little too happy to see a serving girl's bosom at the bar. It's the culmination of a lifetime of often tragic and ironic temptation or actively serving a ruinous cult, though that can vary from story to story. There is also the flip side in that good powers exist and can provide direct blessings and have their own clergy spreading non-Chaos.

Ogres are actually pretty commonly encountered, but that's to do with their general mercenary nature and how helpful they can be to the Empire if fed/paid well. There's more than a few villages that gladly give up a portion of their farm crop to have an Ogre around to protect said crops. Since one Ogre more or less handles infinite petty banditry. Ogres sometimes find employment as taxmen. Often these positions don't last a long time, depending on the Ogres ability to actually perform within whatever the laws/rules are. But it's common enough that Ogres are known throughout the Empire, compared to Vampires/Skaven etc.

There's knighted Ogres too, the Maneaters also exist.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I will not rest until zhatan can get a dreadquake mount

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Kanos posted:

People joke about the "The Empire doesn't believe in Skaven! How stupid! lol!" but that myth exists because open skaven attacks are so rare that it's actually plausible to pretend they don't exist - which is a necessary thing, because telling all your city's citizens that there are seething undercities of chaos ratmen living underneath their feet and there's nothing you can do about it would basically burn the Empire down.

I think the "Empire doesn't believe in Skaven! How stupid!" is funny just because they seemingly acknowledge the existence of Beast-Men so it's okay to have goatmen and cowmen and such but a ratman is a step too far.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That sounds like you need to verify your game files

I think I did that at least 2-3 times to seemingly no effect. It seems to be resolved which is great because having to quick save every time I wanted to check at out character was getting tiresome.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I think the "Empire doesn't believe in Skaven! How stupid!" is funny just because they seemingly acknowledge the existence of Beast-Men so it's okay to have goatmen and cowmen and such but a ratman is a step too far.

Eh I guess the Beastmen being out in the woods means you can avoid them and there's a distance mentally. Acknowledging that there's an entire nest of rat men underneath your city is a bit different.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Specifically, the usual line in the Empire is that Skaven per se don't exist but there certainly are Beastmen who look like giant rats. Not many people in the Empire know about all the guns and ninjas and vat-grown horrors.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Ogres are actually pretty commonly encountered, but that's to do with their general mercenary nature and how helpful they can be to the Empire if fed/paid well. There's more than a few villages that gladly give up a portion of their farm crop to have an Ogre around to protect said crops. Since one Ogre more or less handles infinite petty banditry. Ogres sometimes find employment as taxmen. Often these positions don't last a long time, depending on the Ogres ability to actually perform within whatever the laws/rules are. But it's common enough that Ogres are known throughout the Empire, compared to Vampires/Skaven etc.

There's knighted Ogres too, the Maneaters also exist.

Also, everyone in the Empire knows about dwarfs. It's literally a holy commandment of Sigmar that dwarfs are cool, be nice to dwarfs, and the Empire has a huge dwarf minority population, especially in places like Wissenland that border dwarf holds. Nuln has a legit human-built temple to Grugni because hey, he's a nice god on the side of good who covers areas that no human god does, and Grugni's worship is starting to filter through the rest of the Empire as the god of artisans and engineers.

Bretonnia and Kislev have smaller dwarf populations but they certainly do exist. Parravon and Kislev have fully fledged dwarf quarters.

Likewise, cosmopolitan cities like Erengrad, Altdorf, and Bordelaux have elf quarters where the mercantile houses of Ulthuan run their businesses.

Warhammer Fantasy is grim and dark at times, but it's rarely grimdark except for the once every two or three hundred years that Chaos makes a serious go at destroying the world.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The mouse over text for the Vermintide endgame option made me chuckle, not going to lie.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mr. Grapes! posted:

At the same time it's kind of a cautionary tale for most people in the empire as well.

"Yeah, beast-men exist. Stop leaving your kids in the woods to die, we're all hungry, but you're just exacerbating the problem."

While the skaven are just there, doing their own thing. What are the humans going to do, get rid of the moon?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The beastmen would be cooler if they actually had beastmen of all types of beasts and not just Cow/bullmen

Like, they got angry feral pigs in the army but not pigmen? Where are the crowmen? Or bearmen? Wolfmen? etc

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zzulu posted:

Or bearmen? Wolfmen?

Kislev and Norsca respectively and it's been suggested that the actual werewolves and werebears might in fact be a divine blessing from Taal, the human god of nature and hunting, one of the oldest deities in the human pantheon alongside his wife Rhya. :v:

Something that's stressed a lot in the fluff is that the Empire's mistreatment of mutants and whatnot is legitimately a huge mistake that drives people who just have an extra eye or finger into the waiting arms of Chaos. Mutations don't inherently make you evil, the repressive reactions of society driving you out does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Medicine is considerably more available in Sigmar's empire than in the HRE. Alongside conventional barber-surgeons there is the Cult of Shallya dedicated to battling spread of disease and providing care for the poor and indigent, and the Jade College serves as a legitimate centre of research into biology.