Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm an expat and I'm raising my son overseas. I've been going through early Simpsons with him as a primer to American culture. This summer is going to be the big test: will his cousins think he's a weirdo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Sourdough Sam posted:

So I've never really watched the Simpsons until it was all on D+. I had the privilege of the classic episodes being mostly new to me. Since the pandemic started I've become quite familiar to Seasons 3-10 and knew to not go past there. Having never seen what this show became I decided to see how long I would last on an episode from the current season.

Dear god.

There are no jokes. Just plot points and Homer screaming all his lines. I know this thread is well aware of the show's decline but I'm just glad I didn't see it happen gradually in real time.

As someone who grew up with the classic episodes, but was still in his early teens when the show declined, it's actually insane to me that some people try to write off the "don't watch past season 10" sentiment as simple nostalgia.

The drop in show quality by season 12ish is just so stark I don't know how anybody doesn't see it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Unrelated to my above post: I'm a teacher and a bunch of students were lingering in the halls between classes so I had to herd them out of the locker area. One girl shouted at a boy to bring the goggles for science class and I immediately spat out, "Ze goggles, zay do nozing!" and the students just stared at me like I was a loving alien. They had never heard the quote before. This generation is doomed.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Atlas Hugged posted:

Unrelated to my above post: I'm a teacher and a bunch of students were lingering in the halls between classes so I had to herd them out of the locker area. One girl shouted at a boy to bring the goggles for science class and I immediately spat out, "Ze goggles, zay do nozing!" and the students just stared at me like I was a loving alien. They had never heard the quote before. This generation is doomed.

that episode aired 28 years ago this september.

by contrast, the gap between world wars i and ii was just shy of 21 years.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The 90s equivalent would be a teacher riffing with material from the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. Sorry pal, you're old.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
All the kids in my family don’t even watch full episodes of cartoons they just watch streamers reacting to clips of cartoons. I didn’t think I’d feel this old before hitting 30

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Party Boat posted:

The 90s equivalent would be a teacher riffing with material from the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. Sorry pal, you're old.

I poo poo you not, but this post just reminded me of a teacher telling me once, “Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls!” in 1996 and expected me to get it.

That was a recurring quote on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sourdough Sam posted:

So I've never really watched the Simpsons until it was all on D+. I had the privilege of the classic episodes being mostly new to me. Since the pandemic started I've become quite familiar to Seasons 3-10 and knew to not go past there. Having never seen what this show became I decided to see how long I would last on an episode from the current season.

Dear god.

There are no jokes. Just plot points and Homer screaming all his lines. I know this thread is well aware of the show's decline but I'm just glad I didn't see it happen gradually in real time.

I always appreciate posts like these for the assurance of, no, I'm not crazy or sentimental: it got that bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Counterpoint, my 13-14-yo nieces would absolutely get the goggles line and would also enthusiastically contribute to this discussion about the S10+ dropoff. It's not all bad out there

Course this is because my brother raised 'em right (a steady diet of 80s cartoons which he would act out in any and all circumstances, like the spinning-sword screen wipes from He-Man. "Welp, time to go to work. HEEEEE-MAN")

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Course this is because my brother raised 'em right (a steady diet of 80s cartoons which he would act out in any and all circumstances, like the spinning-sword screen wipes from He-Man. "Welp, time to go to work. HEEEEE-MAN")

While the acting out's cool, 80's cartoons were objectively awful. Like just the worst. The Simpsons decline aside, there's a lot hell of a lot better animation and just TV in general now days.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's weird. There are a lot of kids in my school who have binged through Seinfeld and Friends and it's not like they don't know who The Simpsons are. They'd probably get an "eat my shorts" reference just because it's a catchphrase despite it not really being all that common in the show.

There's just an absolute loving poo poo ton of The Simpsons and most of it's bad, so yeah it's not entirely unexpected that they didn't get that line, but it's such a good episode and such an iconic line that I thought there was a chance.

Alternatively: am I so out of touch? No, it is the children who are wrong.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

hatty posted:

All the kids in my family don’t even watch full episodes of cartoons they just watch streamers reacting to clips of cartoons. I didn’t think I’d feel this old before hitting 30

I think I remember reading that the average attention span went down from 12 minutes to 7 minutes in a decade.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Prurient Squid posted:

I think I remember reading that the average attention span went down from 12 minutes to 7 minutes in a decade.

Farenheit 404

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

dr_rat posted:

While the acting out's cool, 80's cartoons were objectively awful. Like just the worst. The Simpsons decline aside, there's a lot hell of a lot better animation and just TV in general now days.

Oh for sure. It's all irreverent and silly and has contributed mightily to their now bonkers theatre-kid senses of humor.

They're all about stuff like watching all the old Disney Afternoon stuff so they can get all the references in nu-DuckTales etc

E: like he’ll mime out the bad Filmation rotoscoping and make it into a dance for the delight of all

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 19, 2023

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
We are probably at the stage where you have to intentionally expose your kids to early Simpsons for them to get it, sort of like sharing your favorite book. I probably get more jokes about 50's and 60's TV just because I watched a lot of Nick at Nite as an 80's kid, plus I have a geeky dad. If anyone says "Would you believe?" my brain will go straight to Maxwell Smart.

But then, you never know when something will experience a revival. I certainly never would have predicted Columbo being possibly the one thing the Internet agrees on. Heck, the first thing I heard on the radio was Rick Astley, and I thought about how remarkable it was that a song about how much he just loves commitment got memed by the Internet into 21st century relevancy.

For the record, my cousins have been going through it with their kids (5 & 11), and according to them, 22 Short Films About Springfield is the best one.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Lot of people saying post season 10 drop off.

I say seasons 9 and 10 were terrible. 8 is when the cracks began showing.

And don't start on 3. Seasons 1 and 2 are great.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm an expat and I'm raising my son overseas. I've been going through early Simpsons with him as a primer to American culture. This summer is going to be the big test: will his cousins think he's a weirdo?

lol this is like my parents raising me in the 90s on nothing but Happy Days reruns

come to think of it, i did watch a lot of nick at nite, and i was NOT a popular child…

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Master Twig posted:

I never understood this common agreement with the majority of the Internet that 3 is where the gettin’ gets good and totally agree that seasons 1 and 2 are great.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Season 3 is when the show starts to whackier and *really* funny, but I've really come round on seasons 1 & 2 as a fairly earnest family comedy-drama. Himer's original characterisation as a fairly conservative family patriarch is wild to look back on now though given where his character went

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Rewatching the show as an adult for the first time, it's wild actually thinking about how well the supporting characters and world are crafted. I never thought about it as a kid, all these characters just always existed so there was never x episode that introduced Krusty, x episode that created Fat Tony etc.

There's just this world of like 100 characters who are all instantly recognisable, it's never confusing, and it's exciting to see them all interact with each other in various combinations. Krusty has a TV show, Itchy and scratchy are on his TV show, he also owns the Krusty Burger where characters can visit separate to him but you still build on Krusty's character development in stories that don't even feature him. Krusty knows Fat Tony, Fat Tony knows Chief Wiggum, Chief Wiggum's son is Ralph who interacts with Lisa and Miss Hoover and Principle Skinner etc. You have multiple lawyer characters, multiple actors, Troy McClure and Rainer Wolfcastle, Wolfcastle plays McBain and Radioactive man, who Bart reads comic books of. You can basically pick any two characters and explain how they are linked together fairly easily. Its just wild how large and connected the whole universe is and how it all fits together.

E:
Eagerly awaiting the nuSimpsons episode about this guy:

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Lou_Simpson

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 19, 2023

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
3 is where the gettin gets good

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

UP AND ADAM posted:

3 is where the gettin gets good

:wrong:

The Tracey Ullman Show :colbert:

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I'm having fun reading through the Simpsons Wiki. They spend a whole page explaining why it's possible mr. Snrub may actually be Mr Burns in disguise.

quote:

Arguments have been made both for and against Mr. Snrub being a disguise or a separate person. Guy Incognito is given as an example of how even though a person initially appeared to be Homer Simpson wearing a disguise, they turned out to be a separate person.

Guy Incognito appeared in "Fear of Flying", walking into Moe's Tavern for a drink shortly after Homer had been banned for playing a prank on Moe that Moe and the other bar patrons objected to. He had the same physical appearance as Homer but with a moustache of a style in between a "Dali" and an "English" moustache. Guy's voice was also the same as Homer's but with a pronounced or exaggerated English accent. The suit and top hat were different than what Homer might normally wear.

Moe immediately identified him as Homer and told him to leave. Despite saying he did not know who Homer was and giving his name, he did not convince them it was true. He was beaten up and tossed out the front door. A few seconds later, Homer walked by and spotted his look-alike lying unconscious on the sidewalk.

In the case of Mr. Snrub, it becomes clear it is Mr. Burns in disguise by the following:

At the beginning when he identifies himself and says "Hello, my name is Mr. Snrub", the "Snrub" is said with a little bit of difficulty, as if he is not used to saying it. A person born with the name would say it much more easily. This indicates the name was chosen on the spur of the moment and is simply "Burns" spelled backwards.
The hesitation before stating he came from "someplace far away", followed by shiftily telling himself, "Yes, that will do" also point to this being made up on the spot.
Likewise when Smithers approves of Snrub's suggestion, Smithers also has difficulty saying the name, even though he heard it said a few seconds before. The difficulty comes from having to call Mr. Burns by the new name instead of the one he is used to.
Further information supporting Mr. Snrub being a disguise comes from Smithers attending the meeting. He sits next to someone he supposedly hasn't met before, yet gives his approval to what this stranger recommends. A person behaving as Smithers did is called a "shill" or a "plant".

Finally, the fact that Smithers had the grappling hook gun with him indicates he was prepared in case he and Mr. Burns needed to leave quickly. In order for Mr. Snrub to be a separate person and not Mr. Burns in disguise, the following would have needed to occur:

Smithers in the habit of carrying the grappling hook gun with him on a regular basis, or decided that carrying it to the meeting at the Town Hall would be necessary for some reason other than preparing for an escape.
Smithers would have had to make a split-second decision that the crowd becoming angry at this other man required that the man be rescued and they should both leave immediately.
A second split second decision would have been made that the best way both for them to leave was for Smithers to use the grappling hook gun he just happened to have with him, rather than helping the man leave by one of the doors.
When the behavior of Snrub and Smithers is added to to the unlikely situation of Smithers carrying a tool with him like the grappling hook gun for no apparent reason other than "just because", the information points to Snrub being a disguise for Mr. Burns.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Over-scrupulous Internet nerds never change. They were called out in “The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show,” and even earlier in Animaniacs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY

Ain’t nothing new. Hard to believe Animaniacs turns 30 this year.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/ewzzy/status/1648706924425142272?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Master Twig posted:

This one gets it

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Could anyone help me, I'm trying to find the sound effect of when someone in The Simpsons forgets something important or wants to leave without saying so and they leave the scene and off camera you hear 'step, step, step, stepstepstep, car engine starting, car peels out'. I can hear the sound effect in my head but I can't think of specifically when it happens.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Olewithmilk posted:

Could anyone help me, I'm trying to find the sound effect of when someone in The Simpsons forgets something important or wants to leave without saying so and they leave the scene and off camera you hear 'step, step, step, stepstepstep, car engine starting, car peels out'. I can hear the sound effect in my head but I can't think of specifically when it happens.

Here's the first one I thought of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpB_mVbLZZg&t=36s

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Theres a similar bit where Homer runs upstairs and climbs out the window when he's forgot Marge's valentine's present.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
ditto lionel hutz climbs out the window during a "bathroom break" when homer is on trial with the devil

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Leonard Nimoy in the Springfield Files running away when the production crew tells him there's ten minutes left in the episode

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm sure Quimby has done something similar

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Thank you everyone, perfect!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Master Twig posted:

Yup, this is a good take. Although I’d disagree about S8 having cracks, could you provide examples? Skimming the ep list for S8 and wouldn’t skip a single one.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yup, this is a good take. Although I’d disagree about S8 having cracks, could you provide examples? Skimming the ep list for S8 and wouldn’t skip a single one.

Yeah I'd actually say the cracks started forming in 9, especially kicking off with Principal and the Pauper (some good bits, completely disregards established characterizations for sake of telling a nonsense story for lulz). I'd see the show didn't get truly bad until 10-11 though could be mistaken, it's been a while since I've watched that far.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

They were just mortified you got the quote wrong.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like when our parents said "beam me up Scotty" and we just sneered at them

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Just cracks, but still a very solid season. A lot of the plots started to get a bit more out there. It's still good, but the overall tone of the show just started to feel a little bit different. It's hard to put exactly into words. I didn't care for the Spin-Off Showcase, the boxing episode, the military academy or lisa dating nelson.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I would say that "Mary Bobbins" is an example. It has its moments, but it's not as good as previous musical parodies like Planet of the Apes or Streetcar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Seasons 1 and 2 are good (2 is actually great) but they're not what people think of when they think of classic Simpsons. If you were showing someone the show for the first time, or were trying to convince someone who has no idea the show used to be good, you wouldn't want to start at season 1 and would be better off picking a season 3-7 episode.