Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Hello, I've been alerted to the discussion in this thread and would like to explain a few things about Raymond J. Johnson, Jr. To establish my bona fides, I'm a big fan of the man and have created over 150 memes about him, posted mostly in the Simpsons thread and on Facebook. You can see a ranking of my first 100 here.

Anyway, a lot of people see his "You can call me Ray" routine and think "that's not funny." And I absolutely understand why they think that. The trick is that it's not gag-based comedy; it's character-based comedy. People aren't laughing at what Raymond J. Johnson is saying in this video; they are laughing at how Redd Foxx just wants to go on with his own show but he can't because he keeps getting interrupted by this rear end in a top hat who filibusters every time somebody accidentally uses his last name. The audience knows what's coming, and that's why they laugh.

It's also important to remember that the "You can call me Ray...", while certainly his most iconic bit, wasn't the only thing he did. Check out this sketch where he spends the entire time projecting the character of an unwanted interloper who can't help but interrupt and waste everyone's time.

Nowadays people rarely encounter Raymond J. Johnson in his original context. And yeah, without a straight man in the act to push against, he's not funny. He's a double act without a partner. And when I started making RJJ memes I didn't get it either. But now I do, and I unironically appreciate him. And the best part is that the people who don't get it? The people who just see "You can call me Ray" and don't think it's funny? Well, those people want to go on with their meme-reading but they can't, because they keep getting interrupted by some rear end in a top hat who keeps posting all these goddamn Raymond J. Johnson Jr. memes. And honestly, could there be a better tribute to the comedic stylings of Raymond J. Johnson Jr than that? I think not.

OK, I guess I get it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PinheadSlim posted:

I forget how the bit goes exactly but...

"My professor was so interested in what I had to say he invited me to have coffee with him, and maybe even drinks after!"

"Oh Luanne... I am so proud of you!"

lmao, this is the exact moment I was thinking of. Also the one where they join a cult together.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Scorched Spitz posted:

By black eye, you mean in a full body cast because her parachute didn't work.

No, black eye. I think it was the pilot episode.

And it's not a cult! We're not a cult. We're an organization that promotes love and-

"Yeah this is the place."

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 19, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cowslips Warren posted:

No, black eye. I think it was the pilot episode.

And it's not a cult! We're not a cult. We're an organization that promotes love and-

"Yeah this is the place."

It's possible it happened earlier but I don't think it was the pilot and it was definitely said in the second part of the parachute episode. What's weird is I thought cotton didn't appear until surprisingly late in the first season, bobbys birthday episode but the wiki says he was in the pilot so iunno

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's possible it happened earlier but I don't think it was the pilot and it was definitely said in the second part of the parachute episode. What's weird is I thought cotton didn't appear until surprisingly late in the first season, bobbys birthday episode but the wiki says he was in the pilot so iunno

He was in a few dream sequences before he appeared in person.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

He appeared in a flashback. Hank skinned his knee or something and Cotton says to him "I had my shins blown off by a Japan man's machine gun, so don't come crying to me with your problems!" And then again in another flashback in the Order of the Straight Arrow episode. Pretty funny to think that Kahn was actually introduced properly before Cotton.

What makes that even funnier is by this point it was already established that Bobby is an excellent shot. I don't recall it being mentioned outside of the episode centered around it, so it was probably just a random funny line, but I like to think that it was a callback to that and Dale was 100% serious in thinking Bobby would put him down clean.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

JaddaCaddra posted:

What makes that even funnier is by this point it was already established that Bobby is an excellent shot. I don't recall it being mentioned outside of the episode centered around it, so it was probably just a random funny line, but I like to think that it was a callback to that and Dale was 100% serious in thinking Bobby would put him down clean.

The episode with the raccoon shows that Bobby is in fact an excellent shot.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

The episode with the raccoon shows that Bobby is in fact an excellent shot.

That's right, I didn't even think about that.

And since that episode came out after "Dog Dale Afternoon," and within the same year, I'm taking it as confirmation. Dale was serious.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JaddaCaddra posted:

That's right, I didn't even think about that.

And since that episode came out after "Dog Dale Afternoon," and within the same year, I'm taking it as confirmation. Dale was serious.

Heh, if that came out before then Dale would also know that Bobby's capable of doing an Ol Yeller if necessary.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dale is always serious

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
“And with my aim, I’ll have to shoot her twice”

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What are you, some kind of auto matatoton?

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heh, if that came out before then Dale would also know that Bobby's capable of doing an Ol Yeller if necessary.

Indeed, it's just until realizing how close together "To Kill a Ladybird" and "Dog Dale Afternoon" are, I didn't think it was an intentional callback and chalked it up to being a random joke and Bobby's excellence at shooting as being one of those things from the early years that the writers just forgot about. I dunno why I thought that, during these years the writers were pretty consistent about that stuff for the most part, barring stuff like Luanne being proficient when it comes to car repair.

Which weirdly got a half hearted reference in the final season at least one time in one of the few jokes from those episodes I remember. She's doing some work on a car Bill owns and says "I'd say give it to charity, but charity people have enough problems."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

naem posted:

Peggy IS Luanne, or was until she married Hank

she comes from a family who can’t keep their trailer from tipping over, very humble beginnings

in my opinion, peggy's parents actually own a big ranch in montana

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Mantis42 posted:

In my opinion, the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day of the year

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Don't dox me

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

naem
May 29, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

well that’s what god told me but I knew better

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Where are the gifs coming from?

Somebody do the one with Hank Hill saying “dang it Boomhauer don’t give me those basset hound eyes” and then the camera cuts to Boomhauer and he’s completely neutral

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Is there any proof that Hawaii actually exists?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They should have just kept the grandfather clock

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Where are the gifs coming from?

Somebody do the one with Hank Hill saying “dang it Boomhauer don’t give me those basset hound eyes” and then the camera cuts to Boomhauer and he’s completely neutral

Whatever Google provides.

Couldn't find a gif, best I can do for ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_43bLfZmrY

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ladybird, you are a beautiful dancer

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

The Bible posted:

I always thought it was weird that Dale had one. Basements are extremely rare in Texas for whatever reason. I don't believe I ever saw a house with one.

"Well Peggy, I was right. The crawl space is spotless."

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
https://twitter.com/tatsthatgohard/status/1649219673458606082?t=kR2FAWlEP0hxqrGmQ3lxkg&s=19

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm in season 5 maybe early 6 and I notice Luane and Boomhauer being sidelined more. need more of them plz

speaking without fan bias, I would say the quality is holding up overall in the series

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Say aufiderzein to Connie

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

best two episodes imo

1) the smoking one and 2) when Redcorn/Dale's wife break up

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Luanne gets more towards the end, but a lot of it is as an accessory to Lucky more than anything else. The last seasons fix it a little too

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's impossible to pick a favourite line/delivery but Nancy calling "JAWN REDCAWRN!" is way up there for me

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Tilly did you make this stuffing? BECAUSE IT TASTES LIKE GARBAGE!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

WarEternal posted:

lmao, this is the exact moment I was thinking of. Also the one where they join a cult together.

"Because I challenge you with my intellectual"

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

So good

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's impossible to pick a favourite line/delivery but Nancy calling "JAWN REDCAWRN!" is way up there for me

Jo-hhooooooonn Redcorn.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmSORFI2XzU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

dolphinbomb posted: