Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Havoc904 posted:

What is one canceled part of wrestling you wish you could have seen more of?

It can be a gimmick (Seven or Kerwin White), an angle (Vince getting blown up), the WCW relaunch in 2001, etc etc.

Sean O'Haire's "devil's advocate" gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Bonk posted:

Sean O'Haire's "devil's advocate" gimmick.

This loving ruled

E: for actual content I do often wonder what would have happened if they had waited until they had had the guys they wanted in order to do the invasion properly. Instead of just going 'wcw and ecw are both dead and we own them and their guys are all complete loving geeks, here's ecw legend Stephanie McMahon' taking 5 minutes to set up a proper invasion with flair, hogan, steiner, goldberg etc, hell even just continue running WCW as a separate brand with a little bit of oversight and get two lots of money. Like millions of people just stopped watching wrestling forever when WCW closed and WWE demonstrated they had no interest in doing anything with most of their guys and they never got them back

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Also want to watch the alternate timeline where John Cena got sacked in 2002

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Havoc904 posted:

It can be a gimmick (Seven or Kerwin White), an angle (Vince getting blown up), the WCW relaunch in 2001, etc etc.

Bring back Vince Russo to the WWE writers room.

Less tongue in cheek, bring back Battlarts.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Havoc904 posted:

That's JPW was the most adorable show (studio based english language joshi wrestling in bite size chunks using the TJPW roster with Chris Brookes and Baliyan Akki). It was lovely and enjoyable and they should still be doing it to this day.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Defenestrategy posted:

In hindsight the fact they pulled the trigger on the turn was weird

iirc Adam Cole had the concussion from forbidden door in June that shelved him, Kyle had also been injured in the same month and would later get neck surgery in September, that leaves bob fish as the only member of the undisputed elite known to be healthy so they decide to have the undisputed beat down the bucks on august 4th? Which doesn't make sense to me because at best you're left with bob fish until adam cole comes back concussion healed.

I imagine they did it because they needed a way to turn the Young Bucks face before Kenny's return

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alaois posted:

Hade Vanson

Vade Hansen

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
A world where Regal didn’t have substance problems and had a run as the top heel in the company would have been nice. He could have had the run JBL had, except a hundred times more entertaining and deserving.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Invasion With Full Star Power still probably would've been bad because so many of the WCW guys people actually wanted to see were ancient, so I'll do a slightly different version and say the version of the Invasion where Trips doesn't tear his quad and Benoit doesn't destroy his neck right beforehand.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vade Vansen

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Hade Hansen

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Matt Taven

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Lamuella posted:

That's JPW was the most adorable show (studio based english language joshi wrestling in bite size chunks using the TJPW roster with Chris Brookes and Baliyan Akki). It was lovely and enjoyable and they should still be doing it to this day.

Hard agree with this, an excellent entry into TJPW that ended far too soon. I'll append the cancellation of Mr. Haku's official WU translation Twitter to this post.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

the sex ghost posted:

This loving ruled

E: for actual content I do often wonder what would have happened if they had waited until they had had the guys they wanted in order to do the invasion properly. Instead of just going 'wcw and ecw are both dead and we own them and their guys are all complete loving geeks, here's ecw legend Stephanie McMahon' taking 5 minutes to set up a proper invasion with flair, hogan, steiner, goldberg etc, hell even just continue running WCW as a separate brand with a little bit of oversight and get two lots of money. Like millions of people just stopped watching wrestling forever when WCW closed and WWE demonstrated they had no interest in doing anything with most of their guys and they never got them back
If they'd had the roster split idea a little earlier, the biggest WCW contracts locked down earlier, and World Wildlife Fund had sued them a little earlier, we likely would've seen (kayfabe) the WWE name change happen due to the buyout as a "merger", with WCW and ECW spinoff shows coming right away instead of the clunky Invasion and a year of trying to integrate that whole mess. IIRC, the latter was originally supposed to happen, but then for some weird reason, people weren't sold on Buff the Stuff as a main eventer. I *think* the initial idea was that WCW was supposed to take over Smackdown (or get its own show).

But the thing I really would've liked to see - succeed or fail - was the planned ECW streaming show that Shane McMahon wanted to run. Back then the streaming technology really wasn't there yet, so we would've seen a bunch of ECW Hardcore TV with "Buffering..." every few seconds.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

WCW 9/11 Tribute
ECW 9/11 Tribute

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Along the lines of alternate timelines I guess - other than like fantasy time machine stuff what's the best match that could have happened but we never got to see? I know rock never wrestled hbk because they fell out over something and thats the big one I think of especially atm since I'm working my way through 2002. Any other big omissions that just never happened for whatever reason

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
In before Sting/Undertaker. I mean it is true though. Sting/literally anyone but HHH from the late 1990s/early 2000sWWF main event

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Cena/Undertaker as a real Wrestlemania match before 2014 instead of whatever the hell we got in 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

This loving ruled

E: for actual content I do often wonder what would have happened if they had waited until they had had the guys they wanted in order to do the invasion properly.

I think the WCW Invasion was doomed to fail because the only person worth picking up who could have improved the lineup who historically sat out their contract was Ric Flair and MAYBE POSSIBLY Hogan. I believe there is no possible universe in which the WCW invasion works unless Vince is thrown out of the company before hand and creative is turned over to someone who isn't a giant manchild, because the Talent[ 3 Count, Kanyon, Norman Smiley*] and Starpower[DDP/Booker T] where there for the using.

*Cannot believe WWF didn't sign this dude.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

keithy george posted:

WCW 9/11 Tribute
ECW 9/11 Tribute

new jack announcing the capture and killing of osama bin laden. not sure who in wcw would get the call

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Along the lines of alternate timelines I guess - other than like fantasy time machine stuff what's the best match that could have happened but we never got to see? I know rock never wrestled hbk because they fell out over something and thats the big one I think of especially atm since I'm working my way through 2002. Any other big omissions that just never happened for whatever reason

God Reign Kenta Kobashi vs God Reign Kazuchika Okada

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

little munchkin posted:

new jack announcing the capture and killing of osama bin laden. not sure who in wcw would get the call

Jim Duggan?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

little munchkin posted:

It'd be Hulk Hogan brother

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

little munchkin posted:

Tenay 100%

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It'd be Hulk Hogan brother

he could try and creative control it but any wrestler with enough opsec to earn the trust of navy seals would know better than to clue him in on the plan before the show goes live

duggan is a good answer but wcw announcers were never clued into the finishes so tenay is out

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'd like it if Daniel Bryan remained healthy after his win at Wrestlemania 30 and the company didn't immediately put him in a slog of an angle with Kane.

What's the most dangerous move that looks the weakest?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

little munchkin posted:

I'd pay anything to hear Terry Funk say it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I kinda want to see what WCW would have been like had the Fusient deal gone through and they’d stayed on TV. There’s every chance it still would have been bad but I’m curious what the rebranding would be.

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'd like it if Daniel Bryan remained healthy after his win at Wrestlemania 30 and the company didn't immediately put him in a slog of an angle with Kane.

What's the most dangerous move that looks the weakest?

Punks GTS

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

I think I might have misread the question as most dangerous (kayfabe) as opposed to most likely to cause injury.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

the sex ghost posted:

We got some Four Pillars matches vs Three Musketeers, mostly in the 2000s because Baba was pretty isolationist on the whole when it came to working with other Japanese wrestling companies. But we never got Shinya Hashimoto vs Kenta Kobashi and if we'd gotten that in say 1995 it'd have been swell.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

closet statist posted:

I think I might have misread the question as most dangerous (kayfabe) as opposed to most likely to cause injury.

Most actually dangerous.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

whats the deal with touching ropes and submissions

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

whats the deal with touching ropes and submissions

iirc if you're touching the rope you're officially out of the ring and in the old days all the action had to be in the ring. It's the magic circle that turns assault into sport

now it's just a convenient way to make sure submissions end and something else happens

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

fez_machine posted:

It's the magic circle that turns assault into sport

I'm stealing this for a shirt or something.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Also that having your opponent in/against the ropes is illegal in general. The referee always yells to get out of the corner, out of the ropes, off the ropes, etc. So if someone is touching the ropes during a submission hold, the rules override the action.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

the sex ghost posted:

Vince Russo wanted to make Warrior vs. Goldberg happen and I am absolutely fascinated by that concept. Not just the match, but the build and aftermath.

I'm also disappointed that we never got Angle vs. Shamrock. That would have been fun to see.

I remember reading how had Eddie Guerrero not died, the plan was for him to do a program with Shawn Michaels. That would have been great.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What caused “stand up for WWE”? I can’t remember what perceived slight they felt was happening that caused them to react in such a way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

What caused “stand up for WWE”? I can’t remember what perceived slight they felt was happening that caused them to react in such a way.

Linda McMahon running for Senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Twice