Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm very anti-churros and don't understand why y'all wanna eat cinnamon-sugar covered foam peanuts.

This just tells me you’ve never had a DLR churro. Cinnamon sugar dusted warm fried dough is amazing and is nothing like foam peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
What the hell kinda churros are they selling at WDW :stonk:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

This just tells me you’ve never had a DLR churro. Cinnamon sugar dusted warm fried dough is amazing and is nothing like foam peanuts.

the one I got was at DLR, right outside of Haunted Mansion Holiday, and I puked into the bushes because of it. I think I was expecting funnel cake and plegh.

This was also more than a decade ago but I've steered clear of churros at all times because of that nasty first one I got.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So apparently DeSantis' big announcement was "I'm building a state prison beside Disney World" because... reasons? Like what's he think is going to happen?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Arquinsiel posted:

So apparently DeSantis' big announcement was "I'm building a state prison beside Disney World" because... reasons? Like what's he think is going to happen?

He’s just trying to create an eyesore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does he think the state owns that land? It's Disney, is it not?

Edit: Also apparently backed off the toll roads already because they couldn't think of a way to not hurt residents with them lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Aphrodite posted:

Does he think?

No.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Arquinsiel posted:

So apparently DeSantis' big announcement was "I'm building a state prison beside Disney World" because... reasons?
not knowing too much more about it, this sounds truly hilarious

oh no, don't let the DA send me to Mickey Mouse prison

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

He also threatened to... send state inspectors to Disney (they already inspect Disney and the in-house inspectors have a higher code than state inspections). He's really loving bad at this.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Arquinsiel posted:

Well the dang old Beagle Boys keeps breaking out!!!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Coasterphreak posted:

He’s just trying to create an eyesore.

Aphrodite posted:

See this is what I'm thinking. He's somehow convinced himself that he can knock Space Mountain and replace it with a prison, or has otherwise failed to realise just how far away from the guest-facing parts of the parks it'd end up being to prevent all the non-Disney locals flipping their poo poo too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He’s so high on his own farts and conservative flavorade that he probably thinks the entire state is behind him fighting the Woke Tyrants.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Meatball Ron can't seriously be only 44, he looks at least 10 years older than that. But maybe that's just Florida

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know it's standard practice for a politician, but he repeatedly calls it the will of the people when there was no vote.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm just glad Iger is in the driver seat for this since he is really good at just staring down these sort of silly dumb threats.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

alg posted:

Meatball Ron can't seriously be only 44, he looks at least 10 years older than that. But maybe that's just Florida
Hate ages a person. It's refreshingly consistent across the world.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They take you to Disney Prison, someone screams "pull the lever" and, as the con gets excited about the reference, the guillotine falls

Florida under Deathsantis.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

alg posted:

He's only 44?! Holy poo poo I'm 5 years younger than him and I look like a loving baby compared to that wannabe mech walking loser.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Also apparently backed off the toll roads already because they couldn't think of a way to not hurt residents with them lol

Though most of the land is owned by Disney already, the special district owns a bunch of land around Coronado Springs.

All the politics recently surrounding WDW, the goings-on in the parks, and the glamor of cast member social media makes me want to visit a park again soon. I haven't been to DL in 12 years and WDW in 16 years. Maybe I should swing by DL before Splash closes. :shrug:

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 18, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
As far as I know, there's nowhere that DeSantis could actually build a prison that would be seen by any WDW park or resort. Maybe from the top of the Contemporary?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Depends how tall the prison is? Maybe he wants to build a 60-story supermax for liberals poors criminals.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I know the prison is getting the most attention, but his other suggestions were a state park (honestly not a half bad idea, but coming him from he'd gently caress it up) and a competing amusment park. Holy poo poo I want to see DeSantis built DeSantisland so bad. It would tank so hard and Disney would be like "Have fun!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He also said the prison thing while chuckling so I don’t think it was a serious suggestion, even with an evil moron like Desantis.

The real threat here seems to be removing Disney’s exemption from regular state inspection so he can have goons gently caress around with them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aphrodite posted:

He also said the prison thing while chuckling so I don’t think it was a serious suggestion, even with an evil moron like Desantis.

The real threat here seems to be removing Disney’s exemption from regular state inspection so he can have goons gently caress around with them.
I mean, either he's making a stupid joke knowing that his base will eat it up as if it's a real one and start demanding it, or he's just the kind of idiot to chuckle about his evil scheme like a cartoon villain. No way to tell.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Given how much Disneyland changed for safety in California (Alice exterior track, the roof modification made to Space Mountain), in a bubble where we're not dealing with a vindictive clown I'd say state inspectors make sense.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

was that drop tower ride at that cheapo park with the 450 pound kid who died inspected by Florida inspectors?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I thought that was a case of the ride functioning properly and the operator ignoring the lessons of their training and also ignoring numerous signs in the ride's design that something is wrong.

We know this because that is what state inspectors found days later.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Given how much Disneyland changed for safety in California (Alice exterior track, the roof modification made to Space Mountain), in a bubble where we're not dealing with a vindictive clown I'd say state inspectors make sense.

State inspectors already look at Disney. They also have in house inspections for rides, food, etc. in the case of food, the in house Disney regulations are stricter than the state DHEC inspections, and I would imagine it's the same for everything else.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Well, the Anaheim park made a bunch of changes when it reached around 50-55 years old because CalOSHA dragged them that 1950s safety standards were not really acceptable in 2009.

Magic Kingdom's beginning to hit that age, and it's had fewer total tear outs and rebuilds as Epcot has.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Does anyone have recommendations on how to get from LAX to Disneyland with a two year old? Not interested in renting a car and paying the parking fee.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Edna Mode posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on how to get from LAX to Disneyland with a two year old? Not interested in renting a car and paying the parking fee.

Rideshare.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bring a car seat yourself and take an Uber. Put it in the note too so the driver knows ahead of time. They're not allowed to pick you up in Cali if you don't have your own.

Anything else is going to cost you $200+ a direction.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That reminds me, has anyone used that Mears Connect thing to go from MCO to the WDW resorts? Is it as easy to use as the magical express?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jose Oquendo posted:

That reminds me, has anyone used that Mears Connect thing to go from MCO to the WDW resorts? Is it as easy to use as the magical express?

Yeah. It’s the exact same thing really since Mears ran the DME service. The busses aren’t themed and you can use your magic band at the airport but it’s in the same area and pretty much the same service.

Used it last June and it was as expected.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Yeah. It’s the exact same thing really since Mears ran the DME service. The busses aren’t themed and you can use your magic band at the airport but it’s in the same area and pretty much the same service.

Used it last June and it was as expected.

Awesome. I knew Mears ran the old one but I wasn't sure if it was a huge downgrade.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The biggest difference is that now you have to go get your own luggage.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, the new service is pretty much the same (aside from the luggage thing, but international travel never got that anyway).

Although when I was there last summer my scheduled bus back to MCO never showed up, and everyone waiting had to keep asking every Mears driver who showed up for a ride. One of them eventually let us on, but it was over half an hour later than planned. Never had that when it was still DME.

A new thing is that you're apparently meant to get an email with a link to track your bus before it arrives, but I never got that either.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Mears thing worked fine when I did it in October. However on the way back to the airport they put my wife and I in a van with another family. So a bus is not guaranteed I'm guessing based on the hourly itinerary.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’m in Orlando for a business trip but my wife is at home and sat in the queue for four hours but secured our annual passes :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

We used Mears last September and it was Magical Express without the branded buses.

We also had an issue with pickup where our scheduled bus didn't show up. We called dispatch and got picked up a little bit later but what I gathered was not supposed to be our bus (not explicitly said but it seemed like we got a bus that was otherwise on its way to the airport). Both drivers were super friendly despite the pickup clearly being a headache for everyone involved. (It was also a classic Florida September giant thunderstorm all afternoon, so I'm sure their schedule was hosed up from that as well.)

We still got to the airport with enough time to get through TSA and make our flight, but it was kind of a bummer note to end the trip on. Anecdotes aren't data and obviously I'm primed to notice other people saying the same thing, but it does seem like pickup issues are a bit more common than Magical Express.

e: I'll probably try Sunshine Flyer next time assuming we still have a carseat-sized kid, but I'd still book Mears again. Just be prepared for a hiccup on the way back!