Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I do not even remember who Sakumo Hatake is to have any idea why he's in the top ten.

Kakashi's dad, but I couldn't tell you what he did.

I wonder if Sakura had some sort of massive fan campaign or something. Good for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

All i remember about Kakashi's dad is that he died and was maybe an assholey hero with some reputation that made young Kakashi also an rear end in a top hat that gave his friend a huge complex.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Did Kakashi’s dad even get to do anything on screen in anime filler for that matter?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Despite being a war hero, he had a bad reputation for messing up a mission to save his comrades which made young Kakashi one of those "the mission is the only thing that matters" jerks when he was a kid.

He showed up in the manga for a page or two during Kakashi's near death experience. I think that was when Pain attacked Konoha. It was a nice scene. He also recognized that Guy would be a good rival for Kakashi in Guy's dad flashback.

Also he killed Sasori's parents.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 13, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It was less a popularity poll and more a "I want a short story featuring this character" poll and if you vote for Kakashi's dad you're more likely to get a story that features a younger Kakashi

Maybe

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
voting for characters that seemed interesting but never got any focus seems reasonable enough to me. for the rest, i'm guessing people just ignored that it wasn't a popularity poll and voted for their favorites.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Sakumo Hatake was widely popularized in Japan by a decade-long series of yaoi fan novels.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh. who was he shipped with?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Every time I see Sakumo shipped with anyone it's always Orochimaru.

Let the concept of being shipped with Orochimaru sink into your brain.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

rndmnmbr posted:

Every time I see Sakumo shipped with anyone it's always Orochimaru.

Let the concept of being shipped with Orochimaru sink into your brain.

Well, in his defense, Orochimaru is a great parent of either gender.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Well, in his defense, Orochimaru is a great parent of either gender.

Good point, I was thinking more about old "SSSSSSassssuke, give me your body~" Orochimaru than modern "Mitsuki's mom dad parent" Orochimaru.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lol spoilers for 80 are out.

Sasuke best dad lmao

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 18, 2023

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Pretty crazy, but I like the way it's going.

I'm now starting to see some path to the flashforward where it's not as bad for Konoha as what it seems? Like some bizarre alliance between Boruto and crew + Code and his Juubi army where they're used to neutralize Konoha but not kill everyone in order to get to Kawaki. There's still a lot of heavy lifting there to get Code on the same page as Boruto when it comes to fulfilling Code's desires, but they might be able to make something work.

So basically it becomes the flip of Orochimaru's or Pain's attack on Konoha, with Boruto actually leading a force to take it down.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, are speedscans out already? If so, got a link handy?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
No scans I saw, just leaks of pages and manual translations

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah ok, well the chapter officially comes out on the 20th so we might get something tomorrow

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Dexo posted:

Lol spoilers for 80 are out.

Sasuke best dad lmao

Sarada, the true inheritor of talk no jutsu.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 18, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, have an early chapter (or wait until tomorrow for the official release if you prefer):

https://opscans.com/manga/boruto-narutos-next-generation1/number-80/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Anyway, have an early chapter (or wait until tomorrow for the official release if you prefer):

https://opscans.com/manga/boruto-narutos-next-generation1/number-80/

Good chapter, but I'm going to need the chapter cover to take it down by at least twenty percent.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Good chapter, but I'm going to need the chapter cover to take it down by at least twenty percent.

Yeah, I’m still really not a fan of how the manga artist draws Sarada (compared to the anime where she’s much more sensibly handled). Otherwise things are getting pretty good now

Speaking of the anime, any word on when that’s coming back or when the new material set in the Naruto timeline they announced a while back will be coming out?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That cover... I'm not sure if I'm more weirded out by Sarada's outfit or how grossly out of proportion her head is to her body. It looks like she's mid transformation into a Titan.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

This feels like a setup for a timeskip, and it's a shame the anime couldn't have lasted a few more months to reach it as well

you've got Naruto Boruto leaving with Jiraiya Sasuke while Akatsuki Code makes moves to capture the tailed beasts revive the Ten-Tails and everyone's looking for Sasuke Kawaki Boruto in order to save kill him

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

This feels like a setup for a timeskip, and it's a shame the anime couldn't have lasted a few more months to reach it as well

you've got Naruto Boruto leaving with Jiraiya Sasuke while Akatsuki Code makes moves to capture the tailed beasts revive the Ten-Tails and everyone's looking for Sasuke Kawaki Boruto in order to save kill him

It's a literal setup for one, the manga's on hiatus until August. Pretty solid chapter though this whole arc still feels so rushed, I like the overall direction it's heading.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

this whole arc still feels so rushed

Even though Kodachi is out and Kishimoto is in control now, I feel like we're still working through the last of Kodachi's intended plot - and he was planning a bunch of domestic comedy this arc, what with Boruto, Kawaki, and Eida all living in the same house, that got unceremoniously axed in favor of getting the plot back on track and moving forward. It is all rushed because there's a bunch of it missing. And that's why the manga hiatus, so Kishimoto can finally dispose of the last of the cruft and make it 100% his own story again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s still kind of weird the anime ended where it did as opposed to, say, right here. I imagine once the manga resumes we’ll officially be jumping forward in time (though I imagine it’ll still be a little while longer until we officially catch up with the prologue).

Speaking of the anime, it’s looking like we might not see it again until late this year at the earliest (though apparently the new material set in the classic Naruto era will start this September):

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/fantasy/anime/boruto-naruto-next-generations-release-schedule/

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

rndmnmbr posted:

Even though Kodachi is out and Kishimoto is in control now, I feel like we're still working through the last of Kodachi's intended plot - and he was planning a bunch of domestic comedy this arc, what with Boruto, Kawaki, and Eida all living in the same house, that got unceremoniously axed in favor of getting the plot back on track and moving forward. It is all rushed because there's a bunch of it missing. And that's why the manga hiatus, so Kishimoto can finally dispose of the last of the cruft and make it 100% his own story again.

I haven't followed the behind the scenes, but this makes sense. I'll go into the time skip with low expectations after Kishimoto's convoluted ninja war to close out Naruto.

Larryb posted:

It’s still kind of weird the anime ended where it did as opposed to, say, right here. I imagine once the manga resumes we’ll officially be jumping forward in time (though I imagine it’ll still be a little while longer until we officially catch up with the prologue).

Speaking of the anime, it’s looking like we might not see it again until late this year at the earliest (though apparently the new material set in the classic Naruto era will start this September):

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/fantasy/anime/boruto-naruto-next-generations-release-schedule/

Where did the anime actually end? I've only seen a few episodes early on and got into the manga I think last year year. Assuming it stopped short of this month's manga, I'd imagine they'll pick up at the beginning of the skip and show these recent events through flash backs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

I haven't followed the behind the scenes, but this makes sense. I'll go into the time skip with low expectations after Kishimoto's convoluted ninja war to close out Naruto.

Where did the anime actually end? I've only seen a few episodes early on and got into the manga I think last year year. Assuming it stopped short of this month's manga, I'd imagine they'll pick up at the beginning of the skip and show these recent events through flash backs.

Right after Kawaki “killed” Boruto and the latter got better

Anyway one complaint I do have about the chapter is that I wish Sarada and Sumire left the village along with Boruto (but I suppose it’s still possible for them to team up again post timeskip)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 19, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

It's so loving weird, and not even in a "typical" skeezy manga way. She's drawn like an American beauty pageant girl or something, it's downright bizarre.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Sasuke: "Also you look just like Naruto, which roused my suspicions."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here's the official version:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-80/chapter/28921?action=read

Do we know when in August this is supposed to be coming back out of curiosity?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Manga Plus says the 20th.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Larryb posted:

Right after Kawaki “killed” Boruto and the latter got better

Anyway one complaint I do have about the chapter is that I wish Sarada and Sumire left the village along with Boruto (but I suppose it’s still possible for them to team up again post timeskip)

Initially I agreed with your complaint but it'd probably just end up some awkward Boruto Harem with Sasuku as the pissy stringent and ever present father figure. Presumably it's going to be a few years of serious training and prep and while Sarada getting proper training with Sasuke would be cool, ultimately we already know this is leading to the big clash between brothers. Plus, Sasuku probably wants to keep his daughter safe since there's a fair chance he'll be considered some rogue at this point. There's a whole lot to scrutinize if you think deeply into the whole scenario, so I'll just stop there.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Much like DBZ the kids of the crazy powerful heroes make their accomplishments look like trash with next to no effort. Unlike DBZ we likely won't be falling back on them to bail out the story, since this was already a passed the torch deal before it started focus, but Sarada obtaining the Mangekyo because of this? Boruto being told he's way more mature than 12 or whatever because he isn't an emotional wreck? Didn't land for me.

That said I am looking forward to whatever time skip we're gonna get.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Seems like the memory change is still active and is constantly reinforcing itself. Good to have confirmation.

Seems like Sarada really spoiled Momoshiki's plans.

Boruto really has his dad's heart. Is he still hoping to redeem Kawaki in rhe flash forward?

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 20, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am kind of curious what Sarada and Sumire are actually going to do now since they’re the only other ones who know the truth.

Also Himawari’s basically an orphan now so I’m wondering what’s going to happen with her as well (or how Sakura’s going to react to her husband going rogue again)

I assume Shikamaru will become the 8th Hokage in Naruto’s absence at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 20, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So, will Sarada get Sasuke’s eye to stop her going blind?

Cool twists though. We all called that Sasuke could detect Momoshiki.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

So, will Sarada get Sasuke’s eye to stop her going blind?

Cool twists though. We all called that Sasuke could detect Momoshiki.

Oh yeah, Sarada awakened the Mangekyou in this chapter as well didn’t she? There’s another potential issue to deal with

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 21, 2023

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe a mangekyou from love doesn't leave it's user blind. Or maybe it won't affect her much if she doesn't spam it the way her father and uncle did.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kabuto also has an entire orphanage of spare sharingan to harvest if Sasuke can't give her his before he dies (or he pulls an Obito and gives it to Boruto to get to Sarada)

(yes, they have to be related for EMS to trigger, but between Kabuto and Orochimaru (remember him? Where is he? Is he safe? Is he alright?) I'm sure they can figure something out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I really wanna see a training montage with Orochimaru/Mitsuki