Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
quick thoughts Rangers V Devils

Devils weren't ready to play playoff hockey...it's a weird distinction but even though I'm sure they thought they were, they didn't really have the mindset you could see the Rangers had. In addition, a lot of their chances and offense coming off the rush comes from having to make exceptional individual plays a lot of the time, and while they certainly have the players to do that, it's just hard to rely on that over and over and over in the playoffs. They also got a bit unlucky, missed some good chances, Shesterkin made some good timely saves, Vanecek was a bit shaky.
Even though they got that PS goal, they didn't score at 5v5 and their PP was bad and they've gotta have some frustration that creeps in there. They weren't technically shutout but again, didn't muster a 5v5 goal.

On the Rangers end, I felt like they were playing with fire a bit by playing a more methodical game but if you're going to do it against the Devils, that's how you do it. Forwards came back to help out the D, not a lot of really egregious turnovers, their gaps were pretty good and they closed quick on players, and took the body every chance they could. Hischier seemed like he got knocked around a lot. They took advantage of their chances and stayed with their gameplan and made it work. Whether they can keep that going another game, we'll see. It might just take the Devils getting a goal or a bounce their way to get things scrambling on the Rangers end.
Shesterkin was real good but didn't exactly have to carry them, just come up with big saves when needed. 3rd and 4th lines were good, Panarin was actually great I thought, moving his legs and doing a lot. Tarasenko and Trocheck worked hard but seemed a step behind Panarin at times. Zibanejad's line was bad...Kane was outright horrible and the only time he looked like he had some life was that powerplay in the 3rd and then their line got a little bit going.
Seemed like the Devils were definitely targeting the Rangers third pair and they were hanging on by the skin of their teeth at times.

Fox was amazing. Not much you can say about that performance other than wow.

Good win, I wish they'd got the attack going better but at least if they were playing the patient and methodical game they did it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi I’m v new to hockey - can somebody explain what Seatte is doing with Shane Wright and why?

I read the wiki and it seems confusing for the 4th overall pick to be ping ponged around so much?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

Very good 5 on 5 besides the finishing. Really bad in net and on special teams. I think they can sort it out but an early goal or two would be nice for their confidence.

See I don't totally agree, maybe it'd be different if the couple of real clean chances they got went in, but the Rangers closed down the Devils space real well and limited much of the danger. Hughes of course was electric when he was on but even he turned it over a lot trying to gain the zone or make some fancy plays that the Rangers were obviously game planning for. Like I said...it wasn't quite playoff hockey yet for the Devils and they'll need to find a bit of that (whatever it is)

but again could also turn on a goal and some snowballing momentum.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hi I’m v new to hockey - can somebody explain what Seatte is doing with Shane Wright and why?

I read the wiki and it seems confusing for the 4th overall pick to be ping ponged around so much?

Mismanagement mostly. He wasn't ready for the NHL at the start of the year, but they didn't want to send him back to Juniors because reasons? So then they sat him for most of the first half the season, loaned them to Team Canada for the world juniors, and then ended up sending him to play junior hockey for half a season because he can't be assigned directly to the AHL at his age. Next year he'll be old enough to just be assigned to Coachella and being on an entry level contract can get assigned up and down between the teams without worrying about waivers.

Edit: The trade from juniors club to another juniors club was to get him out of playing in the OHL playoffs iirc.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 19, 2023

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Draft picks making the pro team in the year they're drafted are quite rare in the NHL, even at the top of the draft.

Plus the years on an entry level contract only start ticking down once you play 10 games in a season (or if you're in your age-20 season), so young guys will sometimes get an 8- or 9-game cup of coffee and go back down to the minors/junior.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 19, 2023

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Another factor is that Seattle ended up being even better than expected, and a good portion of their success was due to depth. Even if they felt Wright was ready to contribute there wasn't anybody on the roster that it made sense to replace with him.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

shyduck posted:

These playoffs are drunk

Every home team lost tonight! Higher seeds are 2-6 so far

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Another factor is that Seattle ended up being even better than expected, and a good portion of their success was due to depth. Even if they felt Wright was ready to contribute there wasn't anybody on the roster that it made sense to replace with him.

I think when they realized he wasn't ready, they decided with the service time manipulation tactic, and they wouldn't reverse that immediately. You generally wouldn't want to screw up his development either.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jhet posted:

Edit: The trade from juniors club to another juniors club was to get him out of playing in the OHL playoffs iirc.

It was because the team he was on wasn't going to the playoffs. His team ended up going to the playoffs as the top seed and they got bounced. Oops!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

quick thoughts Rangers V Devils

Devils weren't ready to play playoff hockey...it's a weird distinction but even though I'm sure they thought they were, they didn't really have the mindset you could see the Rangers had. In addition, a lot of their chances and offense coming off the rush comes from having to make exceptional individual plays a lot of the time, and while they certainly have the players to do that, it's just hard to rely on that over and over and over in the playoffs. They also got a bit unlucky, missed some good chances, Shesterkin made some good timely saves, Vanecek was a bit shaky.
Even though they got that PS goal, they didn't score at 5v5 and their PP was bad and they've gotta have some frustration that creeps in there. They weren't technically shutout but again, didn't muster a 5v5 goal.

On the Rangers end, I felt like they were playing with fire a bit by playing a more methodical game but if you're going to do it against the Devils, that's how you do it. Forwards came back to help out the D, not a lot of really egregious turnovers, their gaps were pretty good and they closed quick on players, and took the body every chance they could. Hischier seemed like he got knocked around a lot. They took advantage of their chances and stayed with their gameplan and made it work. Whether they can keep that going another game, we'll see. It might just take the Devils getting a goal or a bounce their way to get things scrambling on the Rangers end.
Shesterkin was real good but didn't exactly have to carry them, just come up with big saves when needed. 3rd and 4th lines were good, Panarin was actually great I thought, moving his legs and doing a lot. Tarasenko and Trocheck worked hard but seemed a step behind Panarin at times. Zibanejad's line was bad...Kane was outright horrible and the only time he looked like he had some life was that powerplay in the 3rd and then their line got a little bit going.
Seemed like the Devils were definitely targeting the Rangers third pair and they were hanging on by the skin of their teeth at times.

Fox was amazing. Not much you can say about that performance other than wow.

Good win, I wish they'd got the attack going better but at least if they were playing the patient and methodical game they did it well.

I thought the Rangers blocked shots and did a great job preventing the Devils from getting to the inside of the ice in the defensive zone.

The Rangers also spent like two periods just icing the puck and doing a dump + no chase. It worked I guess but man they totally gave up on even trying to do offense 5v5 after getting up 2-0. If they keep doing that all series that could bite them in the rear end. I don't think it's a good idea to let the Devils just attack you at will for two periods.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

See I don't totally agree, maybe it'd be different if the couple of real clean chances they got went in, but the Rangers closed down the Devils space real well and limited much of the danger. Hughes of course was electric when he was on but even he turned it over a lot trying to gain the zone or make some fancy plays that the Rangers were obviously game planning for. Like I said...it wasn't quite playoff hockey yet for the Devils and they'll need to find a bit of that (whatever it is)

but again could also turn on a goal and some snowballing momentum.

Yeah I think the Rangers did a really good job not allowing the Devils to get to the middle, but the 5v5 the play clearly favored the Devils. For most of the game 5v5, the Rangers were just chipping out/icing it and ceding space to the Devils. I doubt they can do that for an entire series and win, but if the Devils special teams and goaltending is that bad all series, maybe they can.

There are absolutely some offensive zone execution things the Devils need to clean up, and no more than on the powerplay, but I didn't have a whole lot of problems with their game in the neutral zone or on the forecheck, they created a lot of turnovers and entered the Rangers zone with speed many times, their last pass execution was just lacking and the Rangers did an excellent job in the middle with active sticks/shot blocking/boxing out.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 19, 2023

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I think the Rangers did a really good job not allowing the Devils to get to the middle, but the 5v5 the play clearly favored the Devils. For most of the game 5v5, the Rangers were just chipping out/icing it and ceding space to the Devils. I doubt they can do that for an entire series and win, but if the Devils special teams and goaltending is that bad all series, maybe they can.

I think the game played out the way the rangers game planned it, basically
I don’t really agree with that game plan but I don’t think the devils exactly forced them into a bad spot of scrambling all game, the rangers played the game they wanted to and won at least this game
Will be interested to see where it goes from here because that rangers certainly could have another offensive gear if they need it

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh yeah, I would expect the Rangers to not cede 5v5 play like that all series, particularly if the Devils get a lead. I just don't think it was that bad of a game from the Devils. The goaltending is worrisome though, but it was worrisome before the series so that's nothing new.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So what's the difference between what Bunting did and Dumba did

Serious

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So what's the difference between what Bunting did and Dumba did

Serious

Seriously? Principle point of contact and manner in which the contact was made. One looked like a check. That means elbows tucked and gliding into the other person while aiming through the core or shoulders. One cut across the front of a player and the majority of contact was made directly to the head and not much else. The other made contact through the whole body of the player.

E: If Bunting had made contact to the shoulder, or even didn't throw a shoulder there and just skated with the better body position, the call there probably doesn't happen and it's deemed incidental contact.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 19, 2023

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Bunting getting cut is horrible don’t watch it unless you have a strong stomach. One of the worst things I’ve seen since that time in the late 90s (I think) Doug Weight got the back of a skate boot to the jaw and it shattered his face to mush.

Edit: and I won’t keep talking about the Dumba hit, but the local feed in Dallas has an angle that ESPN and (of course) Toronto HQ doesn’t. Besides being marginally close to being a late hit, the contact is shoulder to Pavelskis earhole.

Slow mo replay starting about 0:48

https://twitter.com/markkberger/sta...ightmode%3Dtrue

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 19, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Oh okay thank you all for the response. My concern was either 1) he was already seeming like a bust or 2) the seattle FO was being big dumb idiots.

Playoff hockey is fun to watch :)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Bunting getting cut is horrible don’t watch it unless you have a strong stomach. One of the worst things I’ve seen since that time in the late 90s (I think) Doug Weight got the back of a skate boot to the jaw and it shattered his face to mush.

Edit: and I won’t keep talking about the Dumba hit, but the local feed in Dallas has an angle that ESPN and (of course) Toronto HQ doesn’t. Besides being marginally close to being a late hit, the contact is shoulder to Pavelskis earhole.

That's Joe's own white Warrior stick hitting himself at 0:51 in the head and his hand is up by his shoulder with it. Dumba uses a black wrapped CCM and hits Hartman in the shoulder with it. It's a good angle, but doesn't show the contact the way something 90 degrees to either side would be able to show.

But let me be clear here. I don't think it was a particularly necessary hit, but it also doesn't tick the boxes for it to be anything past that. Big hits are part of the game, and even the boys down playing AA and AAA bantams know this.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I think it's this combined with the transfer agreement between the NHL and CHL. Wright probably didn't have much to gain developmentally from playing another year of juniors, but also wasn't far enough along to be part of an NHL playoff team. Ideally they'd have him playing pro hockey in the minors, but since that wasn't allowed he got stuck in limbo for a bit.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
You guys are also forgetting that the kraken have a million and a half centers on the team already, too.
That was a decent part of it combined with, as mentioned before, age, juniors, world classic and ELC.

I can't stand hak but the wright thing is so not a big deal right now/this season

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

FBS posted:

Cool let's just do that three more times

Of all the ways I was worried Vegas would lose, it was not like that

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Glad to see that Grubby played great last night otherwise it would’ve been a hat trick of suckage for former Caps goalies.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Shoulder to earhole

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's impressive that with a month of knowing who their opponent would be the Leafs still couldn't come up with a better game plan than "throw pucks at the net from anywhere in a blind panic like we did last year" against Tampa.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually I think you'll find that the Leafs exorcised their demons from last year, skillfully avoiding the trap of blowing out the Bolts in game 1 only to lose the series. Now they're well-positioned to just have to win 4/6 games.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

T-Bone posted:

We've done a few all-time drafts over the offseason in the fantasy forum. The 2020 version is a pretty decent read: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510

Somewhere in this thread is a legendary post on the career of a fighter who did play in the NHL plus like, 20 other leagues and did a whole bunch of crazy poo poo.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Oh okay thank you all for the response. My concern was either 1) he was already seeming like a bust or 2) the seattle FO was being big dumb idiots.

There is another important dimension to this. Wright's (initial) junior team, the Kingston Frontenacs, is spectacularly inept. They're inept at everything, but specifically at developing players. For one example, the team has been around several decades now and not only have they somehow never made the OHL finals (I think they've only made the semifinals once), they had basically no successful-in-the-NHL prospects until Jason Robertson. Everyone from their system, no matter how highly or lowly ranked, underwhelmed. For another, Wright himself, who was granted exceptional status and had an age 15 season in the same ballpark as McDavid and Tavares, ended up a downwardly-mobile 4th pick in the weakest draft in a decade.

Wright did eventually go back to the CHL but only after the Kraken had convinced the Fronts to trade him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

There is another important dimension to this. Wright's (initial) junior team, the Kingston Frontenacs, is spectacularly inept. They're inept at everything, but specifically at developing players. For one example, the team has been around several decades now and not only have they somehow never made the OHL finals (I think they've only made the semifinals once), they had basically no successful-in-the-NHL prospects until Jason Robertson. Everyone from their system, no matter how highly or lowly ranked, underwhelmed. For another, Wright himself, who was granted exceptional status and had an age 15 season in the same ballpark as McDavid and Tavares, ended up a downwardly-mobile 4th pick in the weakest draft in a decade.

Wright did eventually go back to the CHL but only after the Kraken had convinced the Fronts to trade him.

As cursed as the Fronts may be, I think Wright's perceived stagnation has a lot more to do with him missing his age 16 season due to covid. That's a pretty crucial development year and unlike a lot of other high end prospects his age he didn't sign elsewhere to get some gametime in. He basically had a year of self directed off ice training for development. His age 15 season was in line with the outcomes of other similar exceptional players.

It's also worth noting that, despite being granted exceptional status, he was never seen in the same light as McDavid or Tavares. The OHL had started using exceptional status pretty loosely. ECHLer Sean Day got exceptional status just so he'd declare for Canada over the USA.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Devils had 13 giveaways last night - ain't gonna win many games with that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a bit of 2, but several other replies have posted the asterisks too.

Wright not making the NHL in his rookie season is normal. Seattle's mismanagement of his playing time isn't, although it's not unheard of either.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Speaking of the Kraken, gotta say I did not see Jared McCann being a 40-goal scorer after 4 other teams gave up on him before he was 25

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Speaking of the Kraken, gotta say I did not see Jared McCann being a 40-goal scorer after 4 other teams gave up on him before he was 25

He was the first person ever to be slightly immature at age 19 so the Canucks had to trade him for anything they could get.

The Canucks 2014 draft was so bizarre. They got 5 NHLers from it but managed to lose 4 of them for no return before they were 23. Only Thatcher Demko stuck with the team.

6th Jake Virtanen: sex pest who fled to Russia
24th Jared McCann: traded to Florida (with picks!) for Erik Gudbranson
36th Thatcher Demko: good pick
66th Nikita Tryamkin: fled to Russia because the Canucks didn't want to pay him
126th Gustav Forsling: traded for Adam Clendening for no reason

That's one of the most successful drafts by any team ever and the Canucks have almost nothing to show for it.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 19, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Honestly were I a Leafs fan, if the Leafs had been on the winning end of yesterday's score in Game 1 I'd be a lot more worried. Getting destroyed right out of the gate is reversing the script for them.

Shame their goalie situation precludes the possibility of winning a playoff series. Tough break for them that Murray's body and head are both hosed and Samsonov folded like a lawnchair in the playoffs, who could ever have seen that coming

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
McCann has been good for years, obviously not 40 goals good, but NHL GMs are of course, the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Like, he was even eye test good! There's nothing about his game that's hard to see. Hard worker, great skater, good shot.

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1417867963869372420

Like how easily would the Pens have made the playoffs this year with him and Erod? Good lord

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

It's OK to call it a legal, dirty hit you know? Just because it's Dallas doesn't mean we need to go Zapruder film on it and frame by frame the angle that doesn't actually show the point of contact.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

ThinkTank posted:

It's impressive that with a month of knowing who their opponent would be the Leafs still couldn't come up with a better game plan than "throw pucks at the net from anywhere in a blind panic like we did last year" against Tampa.

Wonder if it has anything to do with not replacing the same hack of a coach that they should have replaced last year. Who knows?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Toronto loving rules lol

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

T-Bone posted:

McCann has been good for years, obviously not 40 goals good, but NHL GMs are of course, the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Like, he was even eye test good! There's nothing about his game that's hard to see. Hard worker, great skater, good shot.

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1417867963869372420

Like how easily would the Pens have made the playoffs this year with him and Erod? Good lord

I could write pages and pages and pages on how badly the Penguins massively hosed themselves in the expansion draft by everything Ron did in trading McCann, protecting Blueger/Kapanen, and on and on and on.

But we'll skip all that and say 'Lol Pens.' along with gently caress Ron Hextall. Not resigning E Rod was also completely hosed and basically speaks to how terrible Ron's talent assessment and approach to roster building is.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Surprised they had the restraint to not show Barron's blood trail as the cover image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am once again excited and hopeful for the EDMONTON OILERS. Goilers, baby