Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm time!

toasty

some dark brown tiles, good for forests

hay field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I think I broke my brain because I always read stuff like "some dark brown tiles, good for forests" in the bobby fingers Irish voice

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Paranoid Dude posted:

Aww, sad to see that the painting oath thread is gone... (or at least I can't find it for current year)

How are you guys able to take such clear pictures of your minis? Whenever I try, it ends up a blurry, nasty mess with no definition. I would like to show my friends (and you guys!) some cool stuff I've done since having a renaissance of model painting lately, but I don't know how to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CskJdYn9nSs

A bunch of really good info in this vid. A lot of which I had never even thought of.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Paranoid Dude posted:

Aww, sad to see that the painting oath thread is gone... (or at least I can't find it for current year)

How are you guys able to take such clear pictures of your minis? Whenever I try, it ends up a blurry, nasty mess with no definition. I would like to show my friends (and you guys!) some cool stuff I've done since having a renaissance of model painting lately, but I don't know how to!

This is my setup:

Indirect filtered light to reduce spotlights, a black background (felt, it's not the best), and I just use a plastic box which gets a neat little reflection at the bottom.

Then I enable 'pro' mode on my phone's camera to mess with the iso and exposure times to control the brightness, and manual focus to control that as well.

The only editing I do afterwards is cropping it to zoom in.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

I tried doing this w/ my wife's camera (Canon EOS) and the shutter stayed open for something like 8 seconds, but the picture was black. And yes, I checked to see if the lens cap was off =). So I continue to take terrible pictures.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think I broke my brain because I always read stuff like "some dark brown tiles, good for forests" in the bobby fingers Irish voice

Now I hear it too.

I think it's working as intended.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Lumpy posted:

I tried doing this w/ my wife's camera (Canon EOS) and the shutter stayed open for something like 8 seconds, but the picture was black. And yes, I checked to see if the lens cap was off =). So I continue to take terrible pictures.

The camera captures that which cannot be seen by naked eyes alone...

Also, thanks for the vid! I didn't think about distance to background at all, even after reading some guides.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm time!

toasty

:tif:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Devorum posted:

Honestly, I just wear a 3M mask with particulate filters and make sure my room isn't sealed shut. I don't have any airflow stuff or fans.

Yeah I'm not clear on the risk level given the brushes go in my mouth all the time, but this is literally going to be my kitchen, but I can be right by a window or under the fan extractror.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I finally picked up a set of Vallejo Metal Color, these paints really are as good as everyone says. Insane shine and coverage

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Finally picked up the brush again to paint an IG Vet Guard kill team. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out for not having done much painting for at least six months, and for churning them out over a single weekend. Basic stuff, prime white, a layer of speedpaint on anything colored, a layer of metallic followed by a dark wash and then a lighter metallic highlight on most of the metals. But I'm amazed by how much of a difference doing a base & adding some tufts of grass made.

Also question for you all about speed paints/contrast paints. I'm happy with how much motion & drama I got out of some of the speedpaints, but I feel like I got the green and much of the purple a little too heavy. Should I be slowing down and using a less-saturated brush and smaller application? If so, does the paint still flow well enough to get the wash & highlight effect that's part of the speed paints?

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Toebone posted:

I finally picked up a set of Vallejo Metal Color, these paints really are as good as everyone says. Insane shine and coverage

I picked them up a couple years back, they're insanely smooth. Vallejo paints really are the best in the biz. Even their contrast-equivalents are better than army painter or Citadel, imo. They hit the pastel-style of coverage that I want from those styles of paint and have the least awkward clots that Speed Paints and Contrast get.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah I'm not clear on the risk level given the brushes go in my mouth all the time, but this is literally going to be my kitchen, but I can be right by a window or under the fan extractror.

It's not so much a "toxic substance" thing (assuming your paint conforms to ASTM D-4236, you can eat it all day) as a "putting particulate matter of any kind in your lungs is generally not wise" thing. So you can airbrush your food without worry as long as you're wearing a mask or have good ventilation. I airbrush in my attic and have the official Cheap Airbrush Hood™ that most people do and I don't have it venting outside or anything and I don't wear a mask. The fan pulls the particles away from me and into the filter. If I was going to airbrush at my desk w/o a hood, I'd wear a mask while spraying.

EDIT: airbushing oils or enamels is a whole different thing, btw and none of the above applies to them (or acrylic paints that are not AP listed non-toxic)

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 19, 2023

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Re: photos. This video is a no-frills how-to on how to take photos with your existing lamps and phone. My photos aren't great, but thanks to this guide I feel they're a reasonable approximation of what my stuff looks like in real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHYU7O48as

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'll definitely watch that later. Meantime;

Took a crack at NMN black. Started with a black spray, they a downward spray of grey on top. Put down highlights in a lighter grey then white, and then Black Templar contrast to lowlight and tidy the highs.

I think next time I want to do a white base spray or black then white, wash with Black Templar and then the highlights and tidy with BT again .

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Lumpy posted:

It's not so much a "toxic substance" thing (assuming your paint conforms to ASTM D-4236, you can eat it all day) as a "putting particulate matter of any kind in your lungs is generally not wise" thing. So you can airbrush your food without worry as long as you're wearing a mask or have good ventilation. I airbrush in my attic and have the official Cheap Airbrush Hood™ that most people do and I don't have it venting outside or anything and I don't wear a mask. The fan pulls the particles away from me and into the filter. If I was going to airbrush at my desk w/o a hood, I'd wear a mask while spraying.

EDIT: airbushing oils or enamels is a whole different thing, btw and none of the above applies to them (or acrylic paints that are not AP listed non-toxic)

My airbrush booth is thrown together box made of scrap plywood with a bathroom fan stuck on the back. I throw a filter in front of the fan, and have a hose connected to the other end that goes into the lid of a 5 gallon bucket (the bucket lid also has some extra holes drilled in to let the air escape). The hose has a foam carbon filter zip tied to the end inside the bucket. If you add a few inches of water at the bottom, it does a real good job of keeping particulates and fumes out of the air. I've airbrushed acrylics and lacquers this way and it's been extremely effective.

I still wear a 3M particulate mask when airbrushing lacquer though. Don't want to take any changes with that stuff.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Huh. Painting orange kind of is a pain...

edit: sounds like that's just how it is when you prime black (because brush on white doesn't work correctly)

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 19, 2023

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Paranoid Dude posted:

It's not gone. It's here

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

I’m trying to inch my way back into the hobby after a several-year hiatus, and while I’m fortunate that nearly all of my paints have survived, my brush collection has atrophied as various school projects and/or mysterious disappearances have apparently depleted it. I know kolinsky sables are depending on who you ask harder to find in the US (although Amazon seems to somehow have a supply, and the quality/shipping conditions of brushes I’ve gotten from them in the past has been spotty at best), so I’m asking if anyone can recommend an online source of quality brushes (even if they’re synthetic ‘sables’ that pass muster). Locally I have only Michael’s (bleh) and Hobby Lobby (gently caress them). Thanks!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Have you tried Dick Blick? They have kolinsky sable brushes too.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'll definitely watch that later. Meantime;

Took a crack at NMN black. Started with a black spray, they a downward spray of grey on top. Put down highlights in a lighter grey then white, and then Black Templar contrast to lowlight and tidy the highs.

I think next time I want to do a white base spray or black then white, wash with Black Templar and then the highlights and tidy with BT again .

You're going to need to blend the whites in to the blacks more if you want to get the NMM effect right. Right now it still looks like he's got white paint streaked on him. Your lines also need to be very straight and precise due to the nature of the armour.

It might be a thought to practice the effect with silver or gold NMM first which is a lot more forgiving with appearance/blends before trying out black which is a pain even when you aren't trying to execute a NMM effect.You can gold NMM the icon on top and blue NMM the lightning claws as well.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Not the most professional of set-ups, but was able to whip up a passable* photo in about 30 minutes of putzing around.

Behold! A most noble Lord Scion of house Orhlacc! (Bite-sized edition)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Paranoid Dude posted:

Not the most professional of set-ups, but was able to whip up a passable* photo in about 30 minutes of putzing around.

Behold! A most noble Lord Scion of house Orhlacc! (Bite-sized edition)

I think this looks great! The trim looks nice. Get a better camera for sure though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think I have a 10mp camera lying around somewhere that would take better photos, if I can find it you can just have it

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think I have a 10mp camera lying around somewhere that would take better photos, if I can find it you can just have it

Bruh what, for real?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Paranoid Dude posted:

Bruh what, for real?

I mean like...I have to find it first. it's most likely in my bag of electronics and cables and then I have to test it and make sure it still works but yeah. If it works it absolutely should be able to take better photos that that.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Eej posted:

Have you tried Dick Blick? They have kolinsky sable brushes too.

Yeah I buy all my brushes from Dick Blick, they have a really good return/refund policy if your brushes get borked in the mail, and you don't have to worry about counterfeits like you do on Amazon.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Ellaybee posted:

I’m trying to inch my way back into the hobby after a several-year hiatus, and while I’m fortunate that nearly all of my paints have survived, my brush collection has atrophied as various school projects and/or mysterious disappearances have apparently depleted it. I know kolinsky sables are depending on who you ask harder to find in the US (although Amazon seems to somehow have a supply, and the quality/shipping conditions of brushes I’ve gotten from them in the past has been spotty at best), so I’m asking if anyone can recommend an online source of quality brushes (even if they’re synthetic ‘sables’ that pass muster). Locally I have only Michael’s (bleh) and Hobby Lobby (gently caress them). Thanks!

Jackson's Art Supplies is a UK retailer, but they ship brushes for a negligible fee, and they have a great selection.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I buy all my brushes from Dick Blick, they have a really good return/refund policy if your brushes get borked in the mail, and you don't have to worry about counterfeits like you do on Amazon.

Seconding this.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Eej posted:

just realized I didn't bother to edge highlight anything

:hai:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm afraid to paint any of my nids. How do you edge highlight on curves :cripes:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm afraid to paint any of my nids. How do you edge highlight on curves :cripes:

You don't, you just edge highlight the chitin and around the weird skin vents.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Tyranids are great for drybrushing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You highlight volumetric shapes instead of just the edges

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

10mm time!

toasty

some dark brown tiles, good for forests

hay field

Quoting this because it is brilliant and needs more love.

It would be amazing to see all your tiles set up with your models. And what happened to your movie? That short was too short.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Yeah!! It’s rare to see good 10mm terrain painted so well, but to see excellent 10mm terrain is an absolute treat.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
im working on the parts for a diorama. getting space with proper lighting is a lot of work. i also still need a bunch more tiles and trees and poo poo

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm trying out this slapchop painting method my friends've told me about and I'm really liking the results. Though my lightest skin tone paint seems to come on so much darker for some reason:

ignore my googily eyes I think I hosed up the left eye multiple times

While it wasn't the color I was going for I think it looks better than my original intention. Though it is my lightest skin tone contrast paint I own (I only put on one layer too). Are there any lighter skin tone contrast paints out there that anyone could suggest? I could always just go back to using some non-contrast paints but I do like how the slapchop method highlights these details so easily

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm trying out this slapchop painting method my friends've told me about and I'm really liking the results. Though my lightest skin tone paint seems to come on so much darker for some reason:

ignore my googily eyes I think I hosed up the left eye multiple times

While it wasn't the color I was going for I think it looks better than my original intention. Though it is my lightest skin tone contrast paint I own (I only put on one layer too). Are there any lighter skin tone contrast paints out there that anyone could suggest? I could always just go back to using some non-contrast paints but I do like how the slapchop method highlights these details so easily

Crusader skin can be pretty dark, I but half suspect your lighting isn't doing you any favors. Extremely warm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You want to get yourself some "daytime" bulbs