Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Watching the last Adventuring Party for Neverafter, it's interesting that there were at least two huge horror twists queued up that the party managed to skirt around.

If Timothy had made his third wish, his character would have turned against the group and become an embodiment of the corruption.

If they had failed the last roll to rewrite their stories, the whole plot would have reset to the beginning, back to episode 1, with everyone having learned nothing and left with only a profound sense that, more than ever, something has gone Wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Never after might not be the best season of Dimension 20, but the mini's auction is going to be amazing. Starting May 1.

Personally, I'd go with the Dogfish.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Still bingeing Fantasy High S1 every day and whenever Lou says OH PAH-PAH I just loving lose it

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Also love the reveal that they added hats the faeires to de-sexy the original mini's they were using as a base. Perfection.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also love the reveal that they added hats the faeires to de-sexy the original mini's they were using as a base. Perfection.

Made me think of this article I read several years ago about how Disney had to add in all the servant-furniture to Beauty and the Beast to act as chaperones, because there was just wayyyyy too much raw sexuality in the movie without them. Can't find the link but it was a fun read.

And speaking of that story, La Bête was absolutely my favorite princess. I thought they were all really fun and compelling - except I think Mira got stiffed a little on personality compared to all the others. I just love the way Brennan plays NPCs, he obviously has a ridiculous amount of practice but the man's got a gift. I also love seeing him pull out his camp-counselor act when Emily starts pushing boundaries. "You really want to do that thing you think is funny and off-beat in this serious situation? Arright, one order of consequences coming right up!" Most GMs of my experience don't have the confidence to yes-and the really off-the-wall poo poo.

I also loved seeing the cast's faces every time some video thing happened on the dome walls, I appreciated that they found it as cool as I did.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

boxen posted:

Never after might not be the best season of Dimension 20, but the mini's auction is going to be amazing. Starting May 1.

Personally, I'd go with the Dogfish.

What kind of prices happened with the last mini auction? Are small scenery pieces five bucks or twenty? Would something like the dogfish go for hundreds or....?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
a few of the figures went for 5 digits lol

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Yeah, they got good money for the ACoC minis.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Dimension20/comments/wn57lx/auction_data/

While looking for auction data, I read on Reddit that a group of people had got together $11k for the Cruller mini and got outbid, but donated the money to charity anyway. Rick Perry was so touched he made them a second Calroy mini. Now the group sends it around to each other and takes pictures of it in various places.

https://twitter.com/whereiscalroy

boxen fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 15, 2023

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
edit: oops

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm finally watching the d20 adventuring party episodes. loving Brennan's reaction to the number of twins in Siobhan's school is hilarious!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://twitter.com/shantywolf/status/1617332703640322049

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I saw someone say that if they do another Starstruck they need to get Izzy to do a guest appearance for an episode playing as Stacks McFadden and now I can't stop thinking about it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Now that ya say it, it's kind of surprising they don't do guest stars. Suppose the seasons are relatively tight for that, but still, no reason they couldn't have a 5 person main cast and a rotating sixth seat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If and When they do Fantasy High 3 it'd be great if some of the Seven could do some guest stints.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

If I were to guess the filming scheduling for a dimension 20 season is done over a longish weekend, maybe 5-6 consecutive film days at most with the traditional thing tv does when they film a ton of episodes back-to-back where everyone has like 7-8 “default” outfits that they change into after every episode to spread the illusion that time has passed on filming. Figure 20-25ish filming hours, plus hair/makeup/breaks for bathroom and eating adding let’s say another 6-8 hours to total filming time per season, plus, I dunno, another ten or so hours per filmed season for stuff like shifting out backgrounds and “set” changes, plus another couple of hours for stuff that is filmed but then cut because it’s all mechanical stuff like looking up rules or plotting a turn or Brennan having to move figurines around, etc, then also let’s say another 5-10 hours for adventuring party filming. Let’s figure a good 50-60 real time hours that need to be spent to produce a full intrepid heroes season. That can easily be done in the space of 3-4 days if they do like 18 hour workdays which, to be honest, it kind of sounds like they do. I dunno if D20 is a union gig for their cinematographers et al (makeup artists, boom operators, lighting, etc), but assuming it isn’t because it seems like they just wouldn’t be able to afford hiring union, it definitely makes 16-18 hour workdays during season filming sound more plausible. Lou especially has the Jimmy Kimmel gig which probably pays way way way more than anything Dropout can offer, so I bet the only way it works out schedule-wise for him is having him film on weekends (maybe fridays and weekends assuming her can pre-record his intros on Fridays and his writing help isn’t as necessary for the Friday show) with the assumption of just cramming in as much filming as can realistically be done in that short of a time frame.

All this is to say that I bet for intrepid heroes seasons guest stars are functionally impossible to have. Imagine being hired on as a guest star for that season and being told you’re just gonna wait in a green room for 14 hours until you do your 2-3 hour filmed gig, and then having to do that maybe two or three more times if you’re a recurring guest character on the season.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 17, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I thought all episodes were recorded in a freezing warehouse in Van Nuys at 3am?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

If I were to guess the filming scheduling for a dimension 20 season is done over a longish weekend, maybe 5-6 consecutive film days at most with the traditional thing tv does when they film a ton of episodes back-to-back where everyone has like 7-8 “default” outfits that they change into after every episode to spread the illusion that time has passed on filming. Figure 20-25ish filming hours, plus hair/makeup/breaks for bathroom and eating adding let’s say another 6-8 hours to total filming time per season, plus, I dunno, another ten or so hours per filmed season for stuff like shifting out backgrounds and “set” changes, plus another couple of hours for stuff that is filmed but then cut because it’s all mechanical stuff like looking up rules or plotting a turn or Brennan having to move figurines around, etc, then also let’s say another 5-10 hours for adventuring party filming. Let’s figure a good 50-60 real time hours that need to be spent to produce a full intrepid heroes season. That can easily be done in the space of 3-4 days if they do like 18 hour workdays which, to be honest, it kind of sounds like they do. I dunno if D20 is a union gig for their cinematographers et al (makeup artists, boom operators, lighting, etc), but assuming it isn’t because it seems like they just wouldn’t be able to afford hiring union, it definitely makes 16-18 hour workdays during season filming sound more plausible. Lou especially has the Jimmy Kimmel gig which probably pays way way way more than anything Dropout can offer, so I bet the only way it works out schedule-wise for him is having him film on weekends (maybe fridays and weekends assuming her can pre-record his intros on Fridays and his writing help isn’t as necessary for the Friday show) with the assumption of just cramming in as much filming as can realistically be done in that short of a time frame.

All this is to say that I bet for intrepid heroes seasons guest stars are functionally impossible to have. Imagine being hired on as a guest star for that season and being told you’re just gonna wait in a green room for 14 hours until you do your 2-3 hour filmed gig, and then having to do that maybe two or three more times if you’re a recurring guest character on the season.

Every number in this post is wildly wrong.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah so I just finished A Crown of Candy and I feel like it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't genuinely loved it up until Saccharina. If it was more uneven, I feel like it would have actually been somehow a better experience.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Every number in this post is wildly wrong.

well they did get Dimension 20 right

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AzureFlame posted:

well they did get Dimension 20 right

There are too many dimensions these days, please eliminate 3. I am not a crackpot.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i imagine that the original "vision" for Neverafter was to introduce the meta elements drip by drip and to save the Library for the final episodes, but the combination of the total party kill and the players unexpectedly summoning the Evil Stepmother via candle forced a change in approach. unfortunately, that led to the players being kind of swallowed by the world around them.

overall though, the season was fine. i'm not sure it's one of D20's best seasons, but there are a lot of individual elements that i enjoyed.

e: also interesting how, in hindsight, events and rolls kept lining up in such a way that prevented the Intrepid Heroes from ever meaningfully engaging with the Fairies. i imagine there's a reality where we get the same kind of critical but sympathetic interactions with them as we got with the Princesses and the final battle makes more sense.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 17, 2023

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Battle Royale Pt 2: it wasn't going to happen, but I would've absolutely lost my mind if Lily got eliminated in two straight rounds

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I can't believe Jacob's poo poo won the sandwich competition.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I feel bad saying it, but this super finale is doing nothing for me. The games aren't particularly good comedy prompts, and the sheer quantity of contestants means each round struggles to build any momentum. It kind of feels thrown together at the last minute, which I guess it probably was

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I like it, only out of that pay homage to reality shows and the game changer being the challenge each "round" having an element from another show.

But it just feels like they already have make some noise and dirty laundry as spin-offs, already did a bachelor episode, so why not try survivor again.

My favorite episodes are the ones that unravel as it goes on, like yes or no, tell us about yourself, or just something recent like the escape room or secret agent.

I already felt like I got spoiled by so much in the trailer. But I'm still sticking through. I would rather have had it be arbitrary elimination, like the worst sandwich is out, or the winner of the hat comp eliminates the first player.

But I understand they want to do the parody of survivor and secret loop de loops and not make it like last one which was a "last to laugh wins" for 20 minutes.

I would like more of those "mystery" games, or just continue that secret samta.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I can't believe Jacob's poo poo won the sandwich competition.

It's all in the presentation. and cake is just really good.

Jacob is a treasure and I hope he ends up in more things, just generally speaking. His appearances on CBB have always been great, and he's just killing it here.

I'm digging the Survivor royale. The first time they did it, it felt incredibly rushed, so also more than happy that they're taking their time with it. It's also a charming reminder how quickly anyone would fall into Survivor tropes when a vote is about to happen.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The challenges are great. The actual Survivor voting stuff is boring.

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?
Game Changer Survivor Pt 2: I was absolutely convinced that Jacob was going to be eliminated with Lilly's return. I figured he was perceived as a bigger threat to the "Old Guard" than Izzy.

I was in doom-and-gloom mode being convinced that the rest of the series was going to take a comedy dive. When he gets eliminated I want it to be a fair shot. Here's hoping we see a lot more of him on Dropout.

Also, those loop-de-loops are absolutely wild.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Loop de loop question? Is Anna's one back in play with her exit?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I understand why they wanted to mix up the immunity challenges but man - I do miss the "make someone laugh" simplicity. I'm STILL laughing about that drat fart machine being useless, and regularly quote a few of Lou and Brennan's quips.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Yeah, while it may be repetitive, tasks that are simple and just rely on everyone's improv abilities are the most entertaining for sure.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kiminewt posted:

Yeah, while it may be repetitive, tasks that are simple and just rely on everyone's improv abilities are the most entertaining for sure.

counterpoint: the last thing i want to see televised are the warmups improv performers do backstage before a show

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For Dimension20, today's show is listed as the full version of the trailer for the game that Matt Mercer is running. And tomorrow is listed as another adventuring party. Is that going to be a 'pre-game' adventuring party for the new one, or a wrap-up episode on Neverafter, do you all think?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Bobulus posted:

For Dimension20, today's show is listed as the full version of the trailer for the game that Matt Mercer is running. And tomorrow is listed as another adventuring party. Is that going to be a 'pre-game' adventuring party for the new one, or a wrap-up episode on Neverafter, do you all think?

From their Discord schedule channel:

“🥳 THURSDAY: The last Adventuring Party for Neverafter, featuring the behind-the-scenes crew!”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
mercers season is a crown of candy prequel lol

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

scary ghost dog posted:

mercers season is a crown of candy prequel lol

Unironically hyped as gently caress about it.

Players are Lou, Zac, Aabria, Brennan, and Anjali Bhimani. Should be rad as hell.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I mean Brennan’s season was a Critical Role prequel. Sorta surprised we didn’t see this coming.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hell yeah

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I thought they might Never do another crown of candy season given how bummed the Intrepid Heroes were by the end of it. Makes a ton of sense in retrospect. I'm very excited as Crown of Candy is a personal favorite, interested to see where Matt takes the world building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, guess I need to watch all of CoC before May 10th...