Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Maybe but when that is like 1% of the game it doesn't matter. The other 90% was me rapidly pressing the skip button. 8% travel. At least that's what I remember. gently caress Lost Ark.

Yeah I was pretty excited for Lost Ark when it was coming out because I had been hearing all these things about how incredible all the closed betas had been and stuff and how fun all the combat is blah blah. So when it launched I played it for 12 hours according to Steam and in that entire time there was maybe a combined total of 30-60 minutes of "gameplay", the rest of it was running from NPC to NPC and hammering the skip dialog button. Then I went to the Lost Ark thread on these forums and I asked how much further I had to go before I would be able to do something else, like max level or whatever? And the answer I got was that well no, this is the gameplay of Lost Ark and even once you hit max level you're going to need to keep doing this because it's how you upgrade your gear or make 'progress' even in the end-game.

And also I think you have to play some dating minigame with the NPCs to unlock crucial things? Or maybe I'm confusing it with some other game in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
No you're right, there were some unlocks like giant hearts and stuff tied behind weeks or months-long affinity grinds with specific npcs.
The actual fighting was fun but the mmo fetch quest centred story mode was not.

e:

Devils Affricate posted:

What's the last 1% though

the last 1% is gambling
gotta hit that 2% chance to upgrade your gear to +15

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 19, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah I was pretty excited for Lost Ark when it was coming out because I had been hearing all these things about how incredible all the closed betas had been and stuff and how fun all the combat is blah blah. So when it launched I played it for 12 hours according to Steam and in that entire time there was maybe a combined total of 30-60 minutes of "gameplay", the rest of it was running from NPC to NPC and hammering the skip dialog button. Then I went to the Lost Ark thread on these forums and I asked how much further I had to go before I would be able to do something else, like max level or whatever? And the answer I got was that well no, this is the gameplay of Lost Ark and even once you hit max level you're going to need to keep doing this because it's how you upgrade your gear or make 'progress' even in the end-game.

And also I think you have to play some dating minigame with the NPCs to unlock crucial things? Or maybe I'm confusing it with some other game in that regard.

Oh man I played that game out of spite because some friends insisted it's actually really good after you get a boat or something. So I created a macro that mashed the skip dialog and attacks. I put some podcasts on and hit the part in one day. It changed nothing about the gameplay.

Those poor fuckers tried to enjoy it reading all the quest dialog a minmaxing useless trash gear. They played it for a week and weren't even halfway to where I was before they stopped playing.

gently caress Lost Ark

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No you're right, there were some unlocks like giant hearts and stuff tied behind weeks or months-long affinity grinds with specific npcs.
The actual fighting was fun but the mmo fetch quest centred story mode was not.

The fighting was terrible! It was WoW pretending it's Diablo with bombastic animations that did 3 damage. It was like punching in a dream.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
All of this sounds terrible.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vic posted:

The fighting was terrible! It was WoW pretending it's Diablo with bombastic animations that did 3 damage. It was like punching in a dream.

idk about bombastic animations that did 3 damage, i played launcher and it had a good variety of screen-clearing nukes in chaos dungeons. some of them were literal nukes
if anything the problem was the opposite direction, you spent most of your time oneshotting everything between npcs on fetch quests

e:
not my video but here's what it looked like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LZGGuJKDqw

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 19, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

What's the last 1% though

Telling people who thought it was a videogame worth playing that "it's an mmo" as if that is an acceptable excuse for being bad.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vic posted:

Those poor fuckers tried to enjoy it reading all the quest dialog a minmaxing useless trash gear. They played it for a week and weren't even halfway to where I was before they stopped playing.

I did get a good laugh out of all the arguments in-game about dialog skipping, where people would mention the dialog-skipping gameplay and other people would get viciously mad about it and say it was an insult to the developers to skip the dialog and saying things about how they never wanted to even group with people who skipped the dialog, as if they would even be able to.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I did get a good laugh out of all the arguments in-game about dialog skipping, where people would mention the dialog-skipping gameplay and other people would get viciously mad about it and say it was an insult to the developers to skip the dialog and saying things about how they never wanted to even group with people who skipped the dialog, as if they would even be able to.

You can help them find the help they need. Just introduce them to Genshin Impact, and they will no longer have any time left to post on the internet.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
it's incredible that after decades of development and design the best anyone can come up with for an mmo is "everquest but less interesting". what a loving embarrassing genre.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nonono, it's "Everquest but with meticulously designed addiction hooks"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Actually nothing is less interesting than Everquest, physically speaking all MMOs are a Bose-Einsten Condensate of uninterestingness (this fact is the only interesting thing about them)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

idk about bombastic animations that did 3 damage, i played launcher and it had a good variety of screen-clearing nukes in chaos dungeons

quote:

Chaos Dungeons are an endgame activity in Lost Ark that can be embarked on solo or with up to four players.

You'd be playing the game for 20 hours if you speed run the main quests like I did to get to do chaos dungeons. And whatever the dude uses to instantly clear the atrocious cooldowns isn't available to you. Cooldowns on everything. You will never play the equivalent of a whirlwind barb, or just have a disintegrating ray on a RMB like in Diablo. No, you will have to manage your cooldowns like in WoW.

The worst Diablo 3 character build in terms of cooldown management/skill rotation, is the how the best Lost Ark build will play. And that isn't to say Lost Ark is hard or anything.

George
Nov 27, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Actually nothing is less interesting than Everquest, physically speaking all MMOs are a Bose-Einsten Condensate of uninterestingness (this fact is the only interesting thing about them)

yeah but all of everquest's bad ideas make some kind of sense in the context of everquest at least

when another game makes any of the same decisions it is a new kind of sin

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Devils Affricate posted:

Ragnarok Online is still one of the best MMOs out there. Something about the stat system and its bonuses, the way gear upgrades and cards work, it all just comes together to make it really satisfying to progress your character. The grind in the original game was horrendous of course, but private servers have fixed that with exp and drop rate multipliers.

I think RO is the only mmo that actually has an in depth stat system that matters. I remember it was really cheap to make a crusader with like ~80 mdef and a couple of Hundred mvit. Making you a self healing magic tank. Totally useless, but just fun to surprise mages.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The best Sim City is the SNES one

e: good opportunity as any to post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4e3heS9-qo

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Caesar Saladin posted:

souls-like is a very useful term for games that rip off dark souls, which is a ton of games nowadays

Are there any "soulslikes" that ripoff the formula and actually hold a candle to From games?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Antinumeric posted:

I think RO is the only mmo that actually has an in depth stat system that matters. I remember it was really cheap to make a crusader with like ~80 mdef and a couple of Hundred mvit. Making you a self healing magic tank. Totally useless, but just fun to surprise mages.

Yeah, the open-ended approach to character development is something I really miss from the pre-WoW era. When you level up you get a bunch of points and you can put those points into whatever attribute you want. You can make an AGI priest or a STR mage or a loving super novice (that was me, I had a level 70 super novice). Now all these games just choose your stat upgrades for you with each level. This is also something that was lost in the transition from Diablo 2 to 3, although it's not an MMO.

SCheeseman posted:

The best Sim City is the SNES one

Which one? SNES had 2 Sim City games, both of which were lovely ports of the PC games.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Clowner posted:

Are there any "soulslikes" that ripoff the formula and actually hold a candle to From games?

It depends what kind of candle you're looking for. They tend to miss the mark on the physical feel and everything always feels too floaty or too weighty.

Hellpoint is an example that could, depending on your perspective, hold a candle to Dark Souls. It has the aforementioned floaty feel - the combat is fine but definitely not great. But it has (a) A cool mysterious sci-fi setting, (b) a unique spin on the "undead curse" cliche, and (c) An incredibly complex explorable space station absolutely packed with secrets, hidden passages, shortcuts, sequence breaks, etc. similar to Dark Souls (1 especially).

Then there's Mortal Shell which is probably the best-feeling Souls clone, though still a little floaty - it has IMO an incredibly cool, fun, and innovative core mechanic in the way it handles its version of blocking. But it doesn't have nearly as much content going on world-wise - there are only a few weapons, a few "armor sets" and a few dungeons. It does have some neat recurring-NPC type gimmicks in the way that Dark Souls does and some fun secrets to find but it's just a little too short and structured to have real longevity (and too much of a DS1 homage for most people)

The Surge 2 is a good in-between. The combat is good, but not fantastic - it can be either too floaty or too weighty depending on your loadout but never quite strikes that perfect Dark Souls balance. The world is neat and novel and fun to learn about but doesn't have nearly the depth that Dark Souls does.

And Arborea which misses the Dark Souls mark on both the feel and the world, but ends up being really a fun thing in its own right. It's basically "What if Caves of Qud was a roguelike Dark Souls" and I loved it despite the fact that it feels nothing like the Dark Souls it clearly takes inspiration from.

e: These are the only 4 Souls ripoffs I've liked enough to play all the way through, which is actually quite a compliment because I very rarely ever play games all the way through

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 19, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah, the open-ended approach to character development is something I really miss from the pre-WoW era. When you level up you get a bunch of points and you can put those points into whatever attribute you want. You can make an AGI priest or a STR mage or a loving super novice (that was me, I had a level 70 super novice). Now all these games just choose your stat upgrades for you with each level. This is also something that was lost in the transition from Diablo 2 to 3, although it's not an MMO.

Which one? SNES had 2 Sim City games, both of which were lovely ports of the PC games.

Yeah I downloaded and started on this RO private server after posting about it earlier and it was refreshing to have attribute points that weren't just "put attributes in X if you want to be class Y". But also I remembered there's a lot of annoying old-game jank I didn't feel like dealing with right now so I didn't play much today.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

First one, which wasn't a poo poo port but added to the original game with graphical upgrades, season changes, reward buildings, fun Nintendoey presentation embellishments and a stunning Soyo Oka OST. It's the best version of the original game.

2000 choked on SNES and is terrible to play.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My housemate is going through a bunch of games before her time (she is a wee early twenties baby) and has started playing Dragon Age Origins.

It kind of makes me realise that when you discard the internet cynicism wherein every game is awful and bad there's a lot to still enjoy and appreciate with these games. Have there been a lot of improvements to games since? Sure. Are the games just bad, awful, unplayable that no one can enjoy? Not at all.

Seeing a lot of things that have stopped appearing in games, and nothing that some (a lot) for the better, but some I actually kind of miss, and are fun to interact with.

For all the talk about "bioware games bad" revisiting them has been fun so far, and seeing someone who has no idea about the stereotypes and tropes everyone bitches about just enjoying them is pretty warming.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Clowner posted:

No.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Clowner posted:

None are even close at all. There are ones that I've had fun with but they never approach the creativity and level design of souls. Souls has this weird feeling that the world continues to exist in this quiet dead way when you're not even there, while others just feel like you're running through levels. The bosses and environments are never as cool either.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The thing that non dota players will never understand is that a new dota patch coming out is the most exciting thing about games

The fact the next patch is coming out on 4/20 is just perfect

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

excited over patches, smh

I remember back in the EverQuest era, when patch day LITERALLY MEANT THE END OF THE WORLD because number crunchers had busted out their graphing calculators and determined that <insert class> was losing <insert decimal percentage efficiency> in <insert situation/ability> and you'll pay for this, Verant. Even now I am cancelling all seven of my accounts.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
one of the biggest problems with modern MMOs: they are all designed around eliminating the need to cooperate with other players except for the highest-level content. I can understand why, having to wrangle a group of randoms to do basic leveling was terrible, but in the end you just have 1000 people playing a mediocre ARPG by themselves that just happen to be in the same server

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I liked back when getting a group together took some effort and the population of a server was small enough that a community would develop and you'd know or at least know of a fair number of people. But I'm an adult now and so is everyone else and so we no longer have the time for that kind of environment and we would almost certainly lack the patience for it even if we did have the time. It's one of those things that just existed in its moment and probably couldn't ever work again.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

dsf posted:

one of the biggest problems with modern MMOs: they are all designed around eliminating the need to cooperate with other players except for the highest-level content. I can understand why, having to wrangle a group of randoms to do basic leveling was terrible, but in the end you just have 1000 people playing a mediocre ARPG by themselves that just happen to be in the same server

I've said it before, but when I rangled friends to play FFOnline we did less actual coop than when we played Dark Souls/Elden Ring.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dsf posted:

My best WoW memories are of playing the lovely original battlegrounds with a full team, as hosed as the original honor system was. Our queues were 45 min to an hour typically so we could queue all night to play maybe 3 or 4 games, but if we were lucky we'd match against one of the horde teams for one of them and have a really good competitive match. We had some awesome nail-biters in WSG that took upwards of an hour. Then they made BGs cross-server and reduced the queue time, in the process making it impossible to queue as a team or ever get a real team vs team match of WSG/AB going ever again. And they added the debuff to WSG to make it impossible to defend the flag bearer if the match ran long. It became something you could only do with a random group of pubs who weren't even from your server without any possible coordination on teamspeak or anything. It was a load of poo poo

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 19, 2023

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I don't know if hell exists or not, but if it does then being the person that has to write the million paragraphs of "Lore" for every single loving item, ability, and background NPC dialogue for a modern action RPG that no one ever reads definitely has to be one of the lower rings.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Vakal posted:

I don't know if hell exists or not, but if it does then being the person that has to write the million paragraphs of "Lore" for every single loving item, ability, and background NPC dialogue for a modern action RPG that no one ever reads definitely has to be one of the lower rings.

Sounds way better than every other job i have ever had

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vakal posted:

Hey youtubers read them, then make the worst videos i've ever seen

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
Lore Deep Dive: The Full Story of King Lurm Buttfuck

Length: 5 hours 27 minutes

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
New Josh Sogdonson video just dropped

*5 hour long video that explains the basic rear end plot summary of a game you've already played but with a british accent so it sounds smart*

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The reveal midway in will blow your mind!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
The best MMO is elite dangerous because you can play it single player

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

None are even close at all. There are ones that I've had fun with but they never approach the creativity and level design of souls. Souls has this weird feeling that the world continues to exist in this quiet dead way when you're not even there, while others just feel like you're running through levels. The bosses and environments are never as cool either.

Hellpoint is the only one I've played that nails that part of it, but yeah the bosses and combat aren't as good as Souls. They're fine but just not a selling point of the game. The level design is fantastic though and it's regularly on sale for $10 , including right now: https://store.steampowered.com/app/628670/Hellpoint/

I also dug the cosmic horror Event Horizon-esque setting and story a whole lot. It's a neat twist on Souls themes.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256791603/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1596119675

e: What makes the level design so good isn't necessarily aesthetic or anything that can be seen in a trailer but every area is like an ultra-complex metroidvania Dark Souls 1 area with dozens of secrets, shortcuts, side passages, hidden items, ambiguous lore snippets, etc. Some of them are very well hidden (not as in "obnoxiously hard to find" but as in "they make you feel clever for exploring and finding them") and it very much encourages exploration and wondering about the world/zones. There are some incredibly cool setpieces and aesthetics sprinkled throughout too. It takes place on a dead space station that feels like an interconnected place that actually exists and that experienced great tragedy that you need to figure out and stop, as opposed to just a series of rooms full of monsters blocking your progress to the boss.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 19, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The thing that non dota players will never understand is that a new dota patch coming out is the most exciting thing about games

The fact the next patch is coming out on 4/20 is just perfect

dota? is that a hots-like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

I just played through Blasphemous and except for two poorly-tuned details the platforming is super tight and crisp. The areas feel great, the graphics are superb, and the Spanish Catholic vibe is really evocative. Hard recommend as a 2-D soulslike.