Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SniperWoreConverse posted:

toxalopes seem like the kind of thing that should be able to carry unusually small amounts of caravan load + be worth eating, or something weird and not really covered by normal animal niches. Wasted opportunity to not have them be something no other animal can be even if it's not super incredibly amazing

I mean, they do burst into a cloud of poisonous gas when they die so there's that, for what I want to do with this colony (gross swamp hags who are more low tech and in harmony with polluted land than Wasters) I'll take it :shrug:
e: Oh I remember someone had asked a long while ago if you start on a clean tile and pollute your own tile enough do you start getting toxic fog events, the answer was yes you do

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

really annoying side effect of that Fetch For Me mod: animals can go through doors and won't stay penned, and you can't assign them to an area, so idk if I'll be sticking with that mod
Boundary Training mod (works around this specific problem with extra training)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2635034257

better, Customize Animals (just lets you disable the Roam Interval for specific animals and incidentally includes trainability settings, so it obsoletes the Fetch For Me mod anyway :confuoot:):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2587157544

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 17, 2023

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

QuarkJets posted:

depleted uranium walls
I've wondered, are they really better than armored plasteel walls, if you have the plasteel obviously? The readme says that radiation is related to wall HP, and the armored plasteel has a higher HP last I checked.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't think it does anything mechanically it just gives you a different set of floor tiles and slabs. I just took it for the vaguely evil/hell-like theme :shrug:
ohhhhhhhh i conflated it with the morbid psyfocus thing and i was laughing because i thought the weapon was a morbid focus

so i was envisioning some dude just stroking the weapon for hours and coming away ready to cast farskip

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fire Storm posted:

I've wondered, are they really better than armored plasteel walls, if you have the plasteel obviously? The readme says that radiation is related to wall HP, and the armored plasteel has a higher HP last I checked.

uranium walls have less HP than plasteel but more than granite brick or smoothed stone. all metal walls are flammable, though, unlike stone.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

apparently they nerfed acid fog a ton, it doesn't kill plants any more (even ordinary plants like cotton and hops) so starting with permanent toxic fog is less unreasonable, although the map is still completely barren when you start and you won't get any animals ever, even herd migration is blocked :sad:
e: the compromise they made was a) sunlight is partially blocked (72% in my map near the equator) and b) there is an additional large plant growth rate debuff, so my plants are growing at 22% at best. not practical to do this with tribals unless you're willing to take a lot of food with you at start or just cheat some in, because there is just nothing to eat and nothing to use for fuel

e: yeah I don't recommend the permanent acid smog scenario unless you just want a mildly less difficult take on toxic fallout. not terribly fun or interesting, just a verrrrrrrrrrrrry slow farming scenario and you'll never get animals except via trading or a lucky manhunter incident.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 18, 2023

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cease to Hope posted:

uranium walls have less HP than plasteel but more than granite brick or smoothed stone. all metal walls are flammable, though, unlike stone.

Plasteel and uranium walls are not flammable in vanilla, check your mod list if they are in your game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

isndl posted:

Plasteel and uranium walls are not flammable in vanilla, check your mod list if they are in your game.

it's been a long time since i built walls out of either so i may be misremembering that.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Fire Storm posted:

in my experience with rimatomics radiation shielding is completely irrelevant unless you want to stockpile nuclear waste in your babyroom for whatever extremely suburban reason, even wooden walls are enough as long as you keep radioactive poo poo isolated in low-traffic areas and don't mix burned fuel in with regular stockpiles

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So I bought this in the most recent sale on a whim, didn't really give it a shot until now, but it's eaten my April (after taking basically three days to unpause the game on start and somehow missing the pack of aggressive insects that had spawned literally right next to my landing spot, thaaaaanks)

Anyway that's not why I'm here, everyone survived that just fine. I'm here because one of my colonists fell in love with/got engaged to a temporary quest guest from another faction who I had to send away on a shuttle and I'm wondering if there's any way to bring them back on a permanent basis?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you can just grab them and stick them in a prison room and convert them :shrug:

well if you see them again that is
pawns that appear on your map are "in the world" and can potentially come back in many situations, you won't be alerted to this unless it's a blood or marriage relationship though

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they take up arms against you, you should take an arm. That way, if they try again, they have a lot more to lose.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Anyway that's not why I'm here, everyone survived that just fine. I'm here because one of my colonists fell in love with/got engaged to a temporary quest guest from another faction who I had to send away on a shuttle and I'm wondering if there's any way to bring them back on a permanent basis?

The Long Distance mod can help with that.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I had some refugees join for a while, and then a child refugee's dad turned up as part of a trading caravan.

How much of a deadbeat do you have to be to let your kid sleep in a badly-heated barrack with some strangers rather than take your kid home?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh poo poo the paste pipes from vanilla expanded automatically refill biosculptor pods :stwoon:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rimworld: paste pipes.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I got the nutrient paste pipes, a mod that makes babies able to eat nutrient paste, and a mod that lets need bars overfill.

The side-effect of all these things together is that the nutrient paste dripper feeds the baby a full-sized meal, then it barfs all over my floor because it's horrendously overfed.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Paste pipes are great. No longer does your dining room have to be adjacent to your freezer. Nor do you need a new freezer for your prison. Just pipe that stuff wherever.

As someone who always plays mechanitor these days, it's great to have an extra dispenser in your hospital because your medical bot will feed patients automatically. I know there's a nutrient paste drip in the mod too, but that's a lot of infrastructure when you might as well just have a dispenser and a bot.

The only issue I ran into was I got just a little bit of human meat in the paste vat and my unconverted prisoners are being babies and throwing tantrums about it. There's barely any human meat in your paste, get over it! There's a good chance it's not even one of your comrades.

Oh well. I guess miserable prisoners can have a crisis of belief which might make converting them easier. Once they're converted the human meat is no problem.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I didn't know paramedics would use the dispensor, so I've been using this mod Connected Beds. I've got enough crap to cram around the beds already.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the paste pipes have a weird interaction with whatever mod it is that provides the framework for alien races

they count human meat as alien meat, so all my cannibal transhumanists are going "uggh, this paste tastes like aliens!" and hating it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the paste pipes have a weird interaction with whatever mod it is that provides the framework for alien races

they count human meat as alien meat, so all my cannibal transhumanists are going "uggh, this paste tastes like aliens!" and hating it.
I go into dev mode and just edit all the ideoligions in the world to be neutral on eating alien meat. I don't even have any 'aliens' in my list of mods, but you need it for robots. The whole thing is very silly, and it's really annoying that the alien framework adds a bunch of garbage irrelevant precepts.

I think it adds personality traits and even memes too. A "framework" should really not add this much crap.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I gave up on HAR altogether because there's so much junk in there that does nothing but cause conflicts. I miss my robots so dearly :smith:

I half assed looked for new xenotypes shortly after Biotech's launch, even the one fox eared race I added for variety adds a bunch of crap like weapons I'll never, ever use. At least the Kijins added a dope hot spring and smelting silver and gold into price stable ingots

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Tesla was right posted:

I got the nutrient paste pipes, a mod that makes babies able to eat nutrient paste, and a mod that lets need bars overfill.

The side-effect of all these things together is that the nutrient paste dripper feeds the baby a full-sized meal, then it barfs all over my floor because it's horrendously overfed.

this mental image is something I could have done without

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the only real reason to use HAR these days is if you have to use a legacy race mod for whatever reason. Or if you don't own Biotech I guess.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It also allows for actual 'aliens' as opposed to just genetically modified humans in terms of memes and such. And lets you have things like Androids which just don't fit the Biotech systems at all.

Realistically though most people used alien race mods for their cat/fox/rat/snake girls who are perfectly able to be represented in the Biotech system so most of the HAR ecosystem has collapsed. And a lot of the better old ones haven't updated because trying to integrate aliens with genes is rough.

I do kind of miss my Hivers, Skaven and Android colonists I used to rock :(

isndl
May 2, 2012
I gave up on HAR as well after Biotech dropped, it's always been messy for compatibility and never completely bug-free. There's still a bunch of race mods that haven't been converted to using the Biotech gene system but there's a good number of new mods to make up for it and being able to mix and match the new genes is great.

Having some races be genetically herbivorous has been tricky on new colonies though, can't just rely on the old staple of shooting something for meat when times are tough.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i just never removed it after using android tiers. it's never been a problem till now, but i'll probably excise it next colony for convenience

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Eiba posted:

The only issue I ran into was I got just a little bit of human meat in the paste vat and my unconverted prisoners are being babies and throwing tantrums about it. There's barely any human meat in your paste, get over it! There's a good chance it's not even one of your comrades.

Oh well. I guess miserable prisoners can have a crisis of belief which might make converting them easier. Once they're converted the human meat is no problem.

Look, if they didn’t want to eat bits and pieces of their friends in their morning breakfast goo, then maybe they shouldn’t have raided the crazy robot people colony in the mountains.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Reloaded an autosave a few times trying to figure out why Centipedes were consistently busting out of the ancient danger my animal pen was built next to. Finally realized that the random wild ostrich in the pen was beginning to starve, so it was trying to break out and the steel walls of the ancient danger were softer than the granite I built the rest of the pen out of.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

better, Customize Animals (just lets you disable the Roam Interval for specific animals and incidentally includes trainability settings, so it obsoletes the Fetch For Me mod anyway :confuoot:):
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2587157544

this mod is so good! it lets you adjust literally every stat for every animal (including things like gauranlen dryads and mod animals) INDIVIDUALLY, down to the specifics of "how long do you gently caress around before going to pick up an item to be hauled" and armor/damage values, all sorts of poo poo

if there was ever anything that annoyed you about specific creatures, you didn't think the tank dryads were tough enough, the clawer dryads didn't hard enough, you wanted dogs to carry more or whatever, you can adjust it with this mod.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hmm, I may nab that. Combat dryads in general just need a serious boost considering you don't have direct control over them or their targets and clawers just die instantly trying to get into range against even midgame threats. Barkskin manage their role slightly better but considering the opportunity cost of cutting trees, the fact it takes the better part of a quadrum to replenish lost dryads, and mechanoids just existing as an alternative...

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Asimo posted:

Hmm, I may nab that. Combat dryads in general just need a serious boost considering you don't have direct control over them or their targets and clawers just die instantly trying to get into range against even midgame threats. Barkskin manage their role slightly better but considering the opportunity cost of cutting trees, the fact it takes the better part of a quadrum to replenish lost dryads, and mechanoids just existing as an alternative...

Those trees, man. I don't know if they're ever worthwhile over other opportunities.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Dorkopotamis posted:

Those trees, man. I don't know if they're ever worthwhile over other opportunities.

I feel like the haulers are generally solid, and the resource dryads fine since their value scales according to how inhospitable your map is. The combat ones are problematic though, and the bonding system locks your pawn(s) onto the map in a game where too many mechanics already discourage you from going on caravans.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dorkopotamis posted:

I know what you mean but if you can tune every single stat on the dryads, I bet you can make them worthwhile. Yes there's mods that do stuff to dryads, whatever, you can adjust them to be exactly how you want.
e: like, the lovely thing about the clawers is they have zero armor and low health and move too slowly, and you can fix all of that. just for example.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 19, 2023

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

isndl posted:

Reloaded an autosave a few times trying to figure out why Centipedes were consistently busting out of the ancient danger my animal pen was built next to. Finally realized that the random wild ostrich in the pen was beginning to starve, so it was trying to break out and the steel walls of the ancient danger were softer than the granite I built the rest of the pen out of.

lmao as hell

isndl
May 2, 2012

Update 1.4.3704 released posted:

Hello hello! There's a little update today that fixes a bug where colonist assignments were removed when you entered a caravan, plus some other useful changes. :)

Changelog is below! And if you encounter a bug, please share it over on our Official RimWorld Development Discord.

Cheers! - Tia

Changelog
- Clarify that pawns with no xenogenes cannot implant their xenogerm into another person. Show correct warning message on attempt.
- Updated psychic bonding hediff tooltip to factor in pawns contained in buildings.
- Updated player name-in-game content.
Fixes
- Fix: Load stack count is incorrect for caravan itab when there is only one thing in the transferable and the player isn't taking the whole stack.
- Fixed some typos.
- Fix: Magenta square fetus graphics when reloading.
- Fix: Pawns leaving map have their assignments reset.
- Fix: Error on corpse destruction when completedObligations is null.
- Fix: Gibbet cage description mentions they are made of "steel" but can actually be made of any metal.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dareon posted:

I'm pretty sure at least one of my mechanitor runs had cannibalism okay and chopped up the "angry about pollution being fired at them" raids for meat.

I was using Vanilla Psycasts Expanded on a similar run and used all of the parts of the buffalo raider. Chronomancy to steal time from the enemy and de-age my pawn (to offset meditation psyskip and other such things), and then a nice ripscan to make a robot. After that the body was either meat, or was consumed via necromancy to increase maximum heat if the food stores were full.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Magenta Square Fetus" would be a hell of a username

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

isndl posted:

I feel like the haulers are generally solid, and the resource dryads fine since their value scales according to how inhospitable your map is. The combat ones are problematic though, and the bonding system locks your pawn(s) onto the map in a game where too many mechanics already discourage you from going on caravans.
Yeah the utility dryads are fine, the haulers are handy, the berrymakers are a lifesaver on tundra or extreme desert or whatever, medicinemakers basically make medicine a non-issue, and so on. It's just the combat ones that are utterly useless after the first year or two. Also keep in mind that gauranlen trees don't require light to survive and do their jobs so you can throw them indoors in a wooden room or whatever, eat a little penalty, and keep the cutter safe. Anima trees survive in the dark just fine too but the grass requires sun so this isn't all that useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Look at this art y'all :supaburn: