Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

T-Bone posted:

McCann has been good for years, obviously not 40 goals good, but NHL GMs are of course, the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet.

Like, he was even eye test good! There's nothing about his game that's hard to see. Hard worker, great skater, good shot.

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1417867963869372420

Like how easily would the Pens have made the playoffs this year with him and Erod? Good lord

It is hilarious that the leafs traded essentially nothing to get him but only to get Seattle not to take Kerfoot (and to protect Holl). Would look pretty good instead of kerfoot or bunting. With Vegas and Seattle it rules how middling guys have turned into franchise players when actually given the opportunity.

On last night I really expected that the leafs were gonna give Samsonov a big extension this summer, but lol. The goalie hunt continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Goddamn I just realized 6 out of 8 series have the lower seed in the lead (i.e. the away team won game 1). A fun start.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Again, head contact is legal as long as you get enough body along with it.

That's why the penalty is called "illegal check to the head", because there are legal ones.

It loving sucks but it's the rule.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Duckman2008 posted:

Somewhere in this thread is a legendary post on the career of a fighter who did play in the NHL plus like, 20 other leagues and did a whole bunch of crazy poo poo.

That'd be my writeup on Bill "Goldie" Goldthorpe - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510&userid=85759#post504286474

I had a few good writeups, especially later in the draft, if anyone cares to read them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510&userid=85759

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

That'd be my writeup on Bill "Goldie" Goldthorpe - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510&userid=85759#post504286474

I had a few good writeups, especially later in the draft, if anyone cares to read them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917510&userid=85759

Gazumping Teemu's gimmick one pick before him remains my finest moment on this forum.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Wonder if it has anything to do with not replacing the same hack of a coach that they should have replaced last year. Who knows?

The problems with the team in the playoffs are so consistent year over year it’s just impossible to imagine letting Keefe off the hook for these performances.

Like if I said “the Leafs struggled to break out against an aggressive forecheck and their forwards were frequently stood up in the neutral zone, while offensively the puck carriers settled for being pushed to the walls, never taking the puck to the net and having to settle for peppering shots from distance and hoping for rebounds at even strength” am I talking about last night, the series last year, Montreal, Columbus, or all of the above?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Keefe keeps getting out coached but I'm not sure how much you can pin "Matthews forgets how to use his limbs come April" on him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Aphrodite posted:

Again, head contact is legal as long as you get enough body along with it.

That's why the penalty is called "illegal check to the head", because there are legal ones.

It loving sucks but it's the rule.

The sport has some undumbing to do but I worry there won't be any brains left to get it done.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean, most of the team front offices and the league office is comprised of former players.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How different is the Leafs system to years past? Like during the regular season they were a better defensive team than they've been but is that just a results thing or did they switch things up beyond having different players?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Bunting has a hearing, hopefully to the surprise of no one

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

grack posted:

Bunting has a hearing, hopefully to the surprise of no one

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1648714708365590528

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It's fun to look at the Leafs now and laugh at them because for like 30 years I was the fan of the team that wilted every postseason.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Knies is going to do the same thing Brock Faber did and stake a claim for why he should never leave the lineup again.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

It's fun to look at the Leafs now and laugh at them because for like 30 years I was the fan of the team that wilted every postseason.

At least we got out of the first round a bunch. Toronto can’t even do that.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Keefe is going to dress Simmonds if Jeannot is good to go for game 2, coaching 101

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

At least we got out of the first round a bunch. Toronto can’t even do that.

Leafs have got the losing to the same team every year down pat, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aren't suspended players barred from practicing with the team?

He got a match penalty, he's already considered suspended through the hearing.

Fine them Bettman!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

How different is the Leafs system to years past? Like during the regular season they were a better defensive team than they've been but is that just a results thing or did they switch things up beyond having different players?

It’s mostly personnel imo, they still play a pretty passive structure with the points not getting pressure in favour of trying to gum up the lower half of the zone, they upped their rush chances this year but they try to force turnovers at the opposing blueline rather than their own. Matthews really upped his own-zone play this year to make up for the fact that he’s been way worse offensively with whatever injury, the fourth line and wing options are a lot more legit than they used to be defensively.

e: oh and goaltending, Samsonov did have the best year by the numbers than any other Leafs starter under Keefe

ThinkTank posted:

Keefe keeps getting out coached but I'm not sure how much you can pin "Matthews forgets how to use his limbs come April" on him.

There’s very little excuse for how ineffective Matthews/Marner/Tavares looked at evens last night but with Keefe coaching scared to start every series and getting immediately tactically outmatched it doesn’t surprise me that they struggle to get going and then get in their heads about it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

in one of the games last night they kept mentioning trapezoids

is that a specific four player formation? what happened to triangles

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

The trapezoid in hockey generally refers to the area behind the net where a goaltender is permitted to play the puck. Since 2006 goalies have been forbidden to play the puck in the corners below the goal line. This was a direct response to teams playing a shut down style and having a good puck handling goaltender like Martin Brodeur or Marty Turco basically act as a 3rd defenceman on dumpins resulting in a really low scoring style.

If it's a defensive structure thing I've not heard the word trapezoid used. Generally the diamond is the defensive positioning teams employ on the penalty kill.

Goalies are only permitted to play the puck in the shaded area. If they touch the puck in the corner below the goal line it's a two minute delay of game penalty. The shaded area behind the net is the trapezoid where goalies will frequently go to stop pucks on dumpins. Sometimes they lose their spacial awareness and play it just outside that area and get a penalty. It's pretty uncommon these days since it's been a rule for almost twenty years and most players grew up with that as the norm.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 19, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

actionjackson posted:

Goaltenders cannot play the puck behind the goal line outside of a specific area behind the net. This is the trapezoid. So they can't, for example, play the puck if it's shot in to the corner.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

actionjackson posted:

I think they're referring to the area behind the net where the goalie is allowed to handle the puck.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hi has anyone explained that the trapezoid is the area behind the net where the goalie's allowed to play the puck yet

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

actionjackson posted:

There's a trapezoid behind the net that the goalie can handle the puck inside without penalty. Outside it is a delay of game.

Otherwise, trapezoids are just triangles put together with 4-5 players. Similar concept, but it includes all players in a defensive structure. In a structured d-zone setup, you can watch the shape move from above, but generally it will keep something that looks like that shape.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The trap-e-zoid is the strategy the Devils used to win their cups circa 2000.

Jhet posted:

Otherwise, trapezoids are just triangles put together with 4-5 players. Similar concept, but it includes all players in a defensive structure. In a structured d-zone setup, you can watch the shape move from above, but generally it will keep something that looks like that shape.

Ok not to be a pedant (just kidding it is specifically to be a pedant) but when pundits say three players are making a triangle or four making a diamond shape and the graphics draw one on the ice I have to laugh because any three/four points make a triangle/diamond-ish shape when connected like that.

But fine the talking heads were showing the TB PK using a diamond instead of a box.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 19, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

https://youtu.be/GPQTVyKO8EU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1648719420783575042?s=20

Alright now we just need Schenn to come out for Liljegren and that looks like an ok lineup

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Ok not to be a pedant (just kidding it is specifically to be a pedant) but when pundits say three players are making a triangle or four making a diamond shape and the graphics draw one on the ice I have to laugh because any three/four points make a triangle/diamond-ish shape when connected like that.

But fine the talking heads were showing the TB PK using a diamond instead of a box.

It annoys me sometimes how bad commentators are at making clear that teams employ certain structural formations on the ice. The diamond is a short form for the 1-2-1 pk set up generally with a centre high, the left side defender and a winger around the hash marks and the right D down low. This is to contrast it from the box or 2-2 with is two forwards high and two defenders low. There's also the very aggressive triangle or 1-1-2 with a forward up super high pressuring the D, then the other three penalty killers tight to the net in a triangle formation. All have their strengths and weaknesses and powerplays are focused primarily these days on getting those structures to collapse by pulling it too far to one side or the other.

Instead, as you say they just draw a square on the ice and say look at that! It makes a diamond! Which is entirely uninteresting and doesn't explain squat.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

The trap-e-zoid is the strategy the Devils used to win their cups circa 2000.

I didn't say it makes sense. But neither do most talking heads doing color commentary on hockey games.

All the coaching stuff I find talks about triangles and gap control, and diamonds/boxes are what's used to talk about PK structure, so I was just guessing.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1648719420783575042?s=20

Alright now we just need Schenn to come out for Liljegren and that looks like an ok lineup

Yeah I don't know why liljgren hasn't drawn in. Schenn seemed fine, Holl was godawful but I don't know that you can take him out.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Bruins coach just said Bergeron might not be back this series. I heard a rumor it's COVID, anyone else hear that?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah I don't know why liljgren hasn't drawn in. Schenn seemed fine, Holl was godawful but I don't know that you can take him out.

Holl got his butt in front of a Stamkos one-timer when the game was already mostly over so Keefe is gonna keep him in to PK no matter how many times he gets beat to the net or fails to clear pucks

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Holl and Schenn should both be scratched for Liljegren and Timmins but we know that's not happening.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok, thanks

I think of the goalie in hockey like I do in soccer - to me it's the most difficult position to play, but that's just my opinion. There's no other position that is so influential to the final score (well, the other team's score). Unlike soccer though, I think the net in hockey is probably an appropriate size.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

I'm convinced that Justin Holl has some kind of blackmail on Leafs management

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Another Bill posted:

Bruins coach just said Bergeron might not be back this series. I heard a rumor it's COVID, anyone else hear that?

I sure as hell hope not

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I did hear several Bruins players had covid before the series started

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Great now Marchand is a biological weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!