Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You could go for a suspension bridge instead, to really add to the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Just chuck a bunch of rocks into the bog until it's not swampy anymore

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cut a segment of pressure treated 2x4 of the right length to just jam in under the bracket and against the ground. It'll keep the thing from moving and if you need to lower it later you knock out the 2x4 and cut a shorter one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bad Munki posted:

Got my own self inflicted crappy construction question on a project I’ve been working on just for funsies. Real low stakes here.

In the woods down by my pond, I’ve been slowly building up a little boardwalk over some of the extra wet areas where a stream flows in. It’s fun, it’s cute, it’s a couple feet wide and all of 12” above ground.

To support the segments, I’ve d been driving pairs of galvanized steel pipe into the ground on either side of each end of a segment and then attaching a 2x4 across the pair, and then setting the walk segment atop that small beam. I did it this way because I don’t have to actually mess with concrete or digging post holes or anything like that down in these woods. It’s never going to carry more than one or two people at a time and by the time the pipes degrade, I’ll probably be past retirement and ready to dismantle the whole thing or leave it for the next owners.

Aaaaanyhow, I attached the supporting beams to the pipes using u-bolts, in particular because it gives me the option to come back later and adjust the height to re-level this thing if anything moves. Cool!

Problem is, no matter how hard I crank down those u bolts, it’s just a friction grab on the smooth vertical surface of the pipe, and so it can be shifted a tiny bit if one jumps hard on the thing or what have you.

(Bonus raccoon print)

Any ideas for a better way to perch this thing on these posts, that would still allow me to adjust the height later? Specifically, raising the platform, in case the pipe settles deeper.

I’ve though about just drilling a hole into the pipe and throwing a pin in to block the u-bolt from dropping down at all, and if I need to raise it, I can just drill another hole higher on the pipe off to the side.

I dunno, just looking for ideas. Like I said, it’s low-stakes, and in this context, janky can be okay, if needed. What I have so far is almost sufficient. 🤷🏻‍♂️

My Dad's solution to a similar problem was to drill through the pipe and board and slap a hardened carriage bolt through both with some big fender washers bent to the curve of the pipe on that end.

Worked through my childhood without falling down on us, but definitely belongs in this thread.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dunno-Lars posted:

That’s the spirit!

moist turtleneck posted:

Just chuck a bunch of rocks into the bog until it's not swampy anymore

That is also a spirit but not the one I’m after.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Have we considered a zip line?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

That’s the spirit!

That is also a spirit but not the one I’m after.

Build crappy bridges until the rubble forms a stable enough base for one to remain standing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w82CqjaDKmA

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ashcans posted:

Have we considered a zip line?

So many times, yes.

Orvin posted:

Build crappy bridges until the rubble forms a stable enough base for one to remain standing.

What does it look like I’m doing?!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The tragic effects of a lifetime of wearing boxer shorts.

what

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Um

Throw on a second U-bolt.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

this is the crappy construction thread

bad munki, fix it with expanding foam, loctite, and ratchet straps

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

magma

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lmao you'll tunnel into an aquifer you fool

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Leperflesh posted:

I was going to suggest something like this, however;

Leperflesh posted:

lmao you'll tunnel into an aquifer you fool

This suggests a much better approach. just make sure you involve some screw pumps and watch out for lizard men.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/qWC1zRi.mp4

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

:thermidor:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

tenant special to recover your security deposit in whole is also valid

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

`Nemesis posted:

your deposit in hole

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

reminds me of an old roommate: his last day at the apartment on his way out the door grabbed the vacuum, screamed "EXCALIBER!!!" and impaled the wall with it.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My friend moved into a.janky rental his family had owned and quickly found that the plaster on the walls had large cracks (from a 100 y/o house settling? Foundation issues? Earthquake? Who knows) and someone had just covered tje cracks with tape and painted over it

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MattO posted:

reminds me of an old roommate: his last day at the apartment on his way out the door grabbed the vacuum, screamed "EXCALIBER!!!" and impaled the wall with it.

He must have felt foolish once he realised that the sword in the stone and Excalibur are two different swords :rolleyes:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eighties ZomCom posted:

He must have felt foolish once he realised that the sword in the stone and Excalibur are two different swords :rolleyes:

Excalibur backwards is Rub a Exlax :eyepop:

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

My housemate put a hole in the wall with a roller blade. I stuffed it with newspaper, then used car body filler to smooth it out before sanding and spray painting with the same white paint I used to hide the rust on my car. Worked perfect.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
from an apartment listing, for rent

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Menards special.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Big money status: Saved!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

My friend moved into a.janky rental his family had owned and quickly found that the plaster on the walls had large cracks (from a 100 y/o house settling? Foundation issues? Earthquake? Who knows) and someone had just covered tje cracks with tape and painted over it

I’ve found this one before, it was a massive 1-2” wide plaster crack just taped over and painted (by my landlord). Also in my renting history a few times I have found surprisingly minty holes that had been repaired according to an ancient life hack: filling them in with toothpaste and painting over (probably by a previous tenant, hope they got that security deposit in full).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

kreeningsons posted:

I’ve found this one before, it was a massive 1-2” wide plaster crack just taped over and painted (by my landlord). Also in my renting history a few times I have found surprisingly minty holes that had been repaired according to an ancient life hack: filling them in with toothpaste and painting over (probably by a previous tenant, hope they got that security deposit in full).

The previous owner's painter filled in the holes in the bathroom door with caulk, then forgot to paint over it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The previous owner's painter filled in the holes in the bathroom door with caulk, then forgot to paint over it.

Forgot implies they were ever going to do it.

In college we just used a bunch of spackle. 8x10 hole? Keep spackling until it's full. They keep it next to the paint at Walmart.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When I was a teenager I accidently put a hole in the wall because there was no door stop in my room and I poste pushed it open too hard so I just put a Nintendo poster there.

Almost got away with it until I took the poster down when I was gonna move out.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kreeningsons posted:

...Also in my renting history a few times I have found surprisingly minty holes that had been repaired according to an ancient life hack: filling them in with toothpaste and painting over (probably by a previous tenant, hope they got that security deposit in full).

It wasn't me. I deny everything.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I did a similar thing when I cracked the (apparently unobtainable) access panel for the useless whirlpool tub in my rental. Took the cracked panel, superglued it back together, then backed the whole thing with a couple sheets of plasticard laminated on with epoxy before touching up the crack with modeling paints and varnish.

Never know it's there.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Excalibur backwards is Rub a Exlax :eyepop:

Rubilacxe?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Plastik posted:

Rubilacxe?

No thanks I just dined.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

`Nemesis posted:

I actually put a dent in one of my walls by getting up out of my chair too quickly and it rolling back into the wall behind me.

I've been tempted to do just that, but I don't want to repaint the entire wall and don't really trust colour-matching to make any patch not obvious.

So now the dent lives behind a bookcase and plausible deniability.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mighty Atlas will never tire.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been tempted to do just that, but I don't want to repaint the entire wall and don't really trust colour-matching to make any patch not obvious.

I did color matching for three different shades of beige in my last apartment, they were able to identify the manufacturer and exact formulation of two of them, so they made me a sample of both. I painted over a few spots and it ended up being indistinguishable from the rest of the wall.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
In apartments, I've always patched over small holes (hanging pictures), never bothered to paint. Figured they'd be painting after I move out, anyway.

Always got my deposit back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Push El Burrito posted:

Mighty Atlas will never tire.

:shrug: