Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Her father was a stockbroker for Merrill Lynch and she's by all accounts a fairly smart person. This shouldn't be a shock.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

so who were you referring to specifically

here have some purple since it seems this is what you want

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
e:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

silicone thrills posted:

hoot being a swiftie was not on my mod bingo card.

he's a huge fortnite fan, swiftie was the free space

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

for every Swiftie we lose in the city we'll pick up two from team Yeezy in the suburbs

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Kind of weird to be posting here and suggest that wealth doesn't have a drastic impact on outcomes, and if you're not suggesting that then I don't know why you'd draw some arbitrary lines about where that influence starts and ends.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Paradoxish posted:

Kind of weird to be posting here and suggest that wealth doesn't have a drastic impact on outcomes, and if you're not suggesting that then I don't know why you'd draw some arbitrary lines about where that influence starts and ends.

look voice coaching, recording studio time, being able to get a meeting - anyone can do that!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Hoot, can you give me a sixer for participating in this derail with a Swift gif? thanks

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I'm sure Swift benefitted immensely from never having to worry about how to feed herself or how to be able to afford to live in a city like Nashville where she could make the right kinds of connections that would lead to mainstream music industry success.

That being said, a lot of you guys seems to believe popular music success is some checklist exercise that is predictable or easily replicable (or correlated to some level objective musical "talent") and that isn't really how it works. It's all lightning in a bottle stuff, really. Sometimes whatever a performer puts out captures what people want at that moment. Most of the time, it doesn't.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

look at all these people that dont know their favorite artists are industry plants

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I didn't think anything was worse than Pittsburgh chat, but here we are

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Bob Marley was a CIA stooge.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Paradoxish posted:

if you're just a mindless heap of flesh existing from one day to the next, it's easy to fall into the Just World Bias delusion that wealth and success are indicators of intrinsic superiority

don't even have to read or think, just randomly flop your meaty appendages at the keyboard and eventually you'll get moderator buttons from your innate overwhelming power of being right about everything all the time

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm sure Swift benefitted immensely from never having to worry about how to feed herself or how to be able to afford to live in a city like Nashville where she could make the right kinds of connections that would lead to mainstream music industry success.

That being said, a lot of you guys seems to believe popular music success is some checklist exercise that is predictable or easily replicable (or correlated to some level objective musical "talent") and that isn't really how it works. It's all lightning in a bottle stuff, really. Sometimes whatever a performer puts out captures what people want at that moment. Most of the time, it doesn't.

yeah like I know a ton of musicians a lot of whom are able to make an actual living playing. Most of them didn't come from money and didn't have any connections, so what they do is usually like teach private lessons during the week and then gig on Friday/Saturday and maybe a brunch gig on Sunday. And like okay so you have rich parents with connections maybe you get a single out that has some air time or even a hit but that's it. Taylor Swift is also very lucky not just having rich parents but also having any sort of longevity to her career. Like remember Kelly Osbourne lol (also tip: your first single should never be a cover song ever).

But also like Taylor Swift is a business. Not like her as a person but like her whole persona and career. There's a lot of people involved in making sure her career is maintained. I'm not saying she's not talented or sucks but there's a million talented musicians. I know some fantastic players who just have regular rear end day jobs. The music industry sucks and even if youre talented and youre lucky you might at best be a side guy playing with a band that hasn't been relevant in 20 years which is yeah a lot of fun I'm sure but idk where I'm going with this lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Sorry Swiftoids, but Taylor Swift is going where she belongs from now on – into the dustbin of history! Taylor СПФС SPFS and Taylor 人民幣跨境支付系統 CIPS is the future!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

look at all these people that dont know their favorite artists are industry plants

my favorite barely-there conspiracy theory is that the Desert Rock/Palm Desert scene centered around Josh Homme is a cover for heroin smuggling.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

:dehumanize:

quote:

One hundred people RSVP’d for William’s sixth birthday party, which was held at a Los Angeles park on a March afternoon. By 12:30 p.m., the fire station-themed event was in full swing, with energetic attendees trying on their own fire-hose backpacks and gleefully coasting down slides into a large custom ball pit, detailed with flames and the slogan “Let’s Get Fired Up.”

Preparation for the event had begun three months before when Sabrina Maldonado and Melissa Mueller of Stay Golden Design began working with William’s mother and 14 vendors to hammer out all the details.

The morning of the party, the planners installed a 20-foot-wide wooden backdrop that looked so convincingly like a fire station that a child attempted to open a one-dimensional acrylic door. With permits from the city, they blocked off street parking for guests and a food truck, and propped up more than 40 feet of balloon garlands. Guests sat under canvas umbrellas at long wooden tables, painting ceramic fire trucks. (A real-life fire truck eventually made an appearance, fresh from a party in Brentwood.) There was a beverage station with customized drink stirrers and signature to-go cocktails for the parents, including one called “What the Fire Truck.”

The birthday boy, who was periodically trailed by a photographer and videographer, stood next to his mother, eating water ice (a frozen dessert) from a vendor’s cart. He said he didn’t know what his favorite aspect of the party was, but his mother, Katie Provinziano, 39, suggested that it could be the water ice. “I was the first customer,” William said proudly.

If not all of the specifics were appreciated by the children, they were certainly clocked by the adults.

“The details never cease to amaze me,” said Maisie Pacia, a parent in her 30s who was snapping photos of it all. She’d come with her husband, Rich Radford, 49, and their 4-year-old daughter Harlow.

Mr. Radford mentioned that the level of production was actually dialed back from William’s fifth birthday party, which was hibachi-themed and featured real chefs and pyrotechnics. “For instance, there are no fire dancers today,” he said.

Aga Green, 40, who was waiting in line for the food truck, said that about half the birthday parties she attends with her children had a similar level of flair. ”I feel like people celebrate their children more than they celebrate themselves.” Mila, Ms. Green’s 6-year-old daughter, ran by holding a plush toy from the Adopt Your Own Dalmatian station. (“Friends!” Mila said, of what she was enjoying most.)

William’s birthday party represented a level of production that has become increasingly common among a subset of Angelenos throwing birthday parties for their children. Or, more often, hiring professionals to throw those parties.

Instead of a table at a paint-your-own pottery place or a bounce castle in the backyard, the level of décor and amount of planning involved in a young child’s celebration can rival a wedding.

“It used to be that over-the-top was looked down upon, but now over-the-top is applauded,” said Leesa Zelken, the founder of Send in the Clowns, a party-planning service in Los Angeles.

Ms. Zelken started her business 30 years ago, when she supplemented her income as an actor by dressing as a clown at children’s birthday parties. (She still remembers grandparents of a birthday boy balking at the extravagance.) In 2005, during the reign of the cupcake, she expanded to tablescape and decorating services, which these days seems quaint.

Every event Ms. Zelken now orchestrates includes multiple vendors. Her consulting fees start at $350, and soup-to-nuts planning packages begin at $14,500. “For an event that I just booked, we’re doing furniture rentals, a performer, a glitter tattoo station, a craft station, a pancake artist, a party manager and a lifeguard — because there’s a pool and we need to make sure no one falls in,” she said. “That’s a very midsize party.”

The ratcheting-up of expectations may have something to do with the pandemic. Parents were pent up for two years and emerged wanting to go big for their children’s milestones.

Then, of course, there’s Instagram. “Social media’s just doing the job of the school gossip,” said Joshua Castillo, a parenting consultant in Los Angeles. “There’s always been social media, it just used to be a person who found out how much something cost, maybe took a picture, and showed you the goody bag from the party.”

And it’s impossible to ignore the influence of the Kardashians, whose events introduced new standards for what it means to celebrate. “Around the time Kim had a party for her first child, and it was something that was featured in People Magazine, something shifted,” Ms. Zelken said. (“KidChella,” as that party was called, featured a Ferris wheel and an ill-advised American Indian headdress). “People had this drive to get to that same level, or close to it.”

“So much of my Instagram feed is parties,” said Ellina Chulpaeff, a 31-year-old attorney. For her son’s first birthday, which she combined with a birthday celebration for herself, she executed an Italian theme. There were tablescapes accented with lemons and blue-and-white Italian-style ceramics, and a faux boxwood wall backdrop.

“When I see stuff on Instagram, like insane parties in Beverly Park, or Mindy Weiss caliber,” she said, referencing the Kardashian family’s event planner, “I grab those ideas and vendors.”

She isn’t the only one. MESH, a company known for its customized ball pits, has had so much success since its first brush with the Kardashians (Kim and Kourtney) that it had to hire a mechanical engineer to develop a color sorting technology for the 40,000 balls it uses every weekend. And after Jme and Moi Andrade of Balloon and Paper, a balloon artistry company, created an Instagram-breaking balloon tunnel in custom shades of brown for a baby shower thrown by Khloe Kardashian — or “Khloe,” as Ms. Andrade calls her; even those in the industry who haven’t worked for them tend to use first names for Kardashians — 70 percent of their company’s business has been children’s parties.

Parties for the uber-wealthy can clock in at $75,000 or more (some families don’t have budgets, Ms. Zelken said), but other parents who hire professional planners might spend between $10,000 and $40,000.

Ms. Chulpaeff estimated that her son’s Italian-themed birthday, which she planned herself, cost $16,000. She has never regretted the expense. “Every time I look back at the pictures I smile,” she said.

Ms. Chulpaeff grew up in Los Angeles, but even the big to-dos within her Russian Jewish community didn’t match what she sees at parties now. “A lot of people were baited into it the same way I was, where you have all of these produced parties related to your wedding, and it sets a new standard.”

From there, she said, it was a Pandora’s box. “You can’t imagine a party where there isn’t catering or a professional photographer or a pretty backdrop so everyone can share it on Instagram.”

Ms. Zelken said that before the pandemic, a certain perfectionism drove mothers. “Moms wanted to do it all,” she said. “They wanted to have the best house, school, throw the best parties. They didn’t want someone else to throw it for them or for it to look like someone did. But during Covid, parents had way too much on their plate. Now it’s OK for them to say, ‘I can’t do this.’”

One thing that hasn’t changed, both planners and parents agree, is celebrating a child’s interest — “Frozen,” sushi, waste management, mermaids — with a theme.

(Or it may be a parent’s wish for what the child’s interest could become. Frannie Hudson, an in-demand planner, threw a Ruth Bader Ginsberg-themed party for a 1-year-old in which she put doilies under balloons to mimic the justice’s iconic collar).

Party professionals also emphasize that parents typically want the party to feature a signature visual note, Ms. Mueller said. “Everyone wants that Instagrammable moment.”

And those moments are, according to Ms. Castillo, eventually noticed by children, whom she said can start to request features they observe at other parties as early as 5 years old.

“They start to say, ‘I’m going to ask my mommy for a jumpy house, I want a magician, too,’” she said. “They’re boutique shopping — suddenly they see what’s available. Those kids very quickly learn, ‘These are status symbols that I have to have.’”

Ms. Castillo, who has worked with families of all income levels and is the author of “Surviving Children’s Birthday Parties: How Moms and Dads Can Stay Sane and Still Give Their Young Children Happy Birthdays,” notes that she often observes stress or an outright lack of joy among parents planning birthday parties. These celebrations can be great for fostering community, she said, but are also viewed by some families as networking events.

“There’s almost this awkward social contract that parents think they’ve signed onto within the group they’re surrounded by,” Ms. Castillo said. “It seems like they feel pressure.”

Bridget London, 41, recently brought in a temporary tattoo station, a face painter, a light-up dance floor and Milo the Unicorn (an Azteca horse accessorized with a colorful mane and horn) for her daughter’s fifth birthday. “LA is just different,” she said.

Ms. London noted that many schools require the entire class to be invited to a party, which means they tend to get big quickly.

But there may be something else about the city, too. “I think a lot of people want to make magic for their kids,” Ms. London said. “Los Angeles is a place where people come to make fantasies happen, right? Everyone is kind of a fantastical thinker.”

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
I may have some talent, I am not massively talented but I am definitely massively lazy and just not willing to put in the work

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

Well that explains a lot because he isn't
Severance was the best TV show of 2022. It's about workplace alienation, corporate culture, and exploitation. I highly recommend it. The visuals and direction are outstanding. When I saw the credits I was shocked to see that Ben Stiller is the director.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

stiller is an excellent tv / movie maker

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I live in LA and have never seen th-

Oh wait, I'm not in that class, never mind. Root cause identified, ticket closed.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Janet Yellen's discography is pretty tight though

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Ben Still-Here, as in he won't go away! HAHA I'm on fire today!

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

:guillotine:

And I thought the $600-800 parents spend on parties for my kid’s classmates was insane. The venues around here charge at minimum $600 for a 2 hour party or up to $1000 if you want pizza, cake and beverages. The food is garbage too and you feel rushed because you have to be out on time.

We just throw a backyard party and provide food, the kids can run around and swing or play soccer whatever. The yard is huge and I don’t have to stress about driving somewhere and coming back etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’d do a backyard party but my back yard is now mostly 3 foot brambles and thorny bushes becuase goons told me not to mow anymore

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
hello, it’s me, im the problem

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Penisaurus Sex posted:

my favorite barely-there conspiracy theory is that the Desert Rock/Palm Desert scene centered around Josh Homme is a cover for heroin smuggling.

Please crosspost this somewhere else

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

euphronius posted:

I’d do a backyard party but my back yard is now mostly 3 foot brambles and thorny bushes becuase goons told me not to mow anymore

My backyard is nice because I mow it and try to keep up with cleaning/planting.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I pay a guy to do that stuff for me. Stimulating the economy.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I would feel awful if I paid a bunch of people to hang out at my party. I fundamentally do not understand the appeal of making people wait on you.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mr. Hootington has asked to resign as IK of this thread so I have pulled his buttons, pour one out for a fellow Swiftie :boom:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

does the red star mean you are a communist ? that’s good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I would feel awful if I paid a bunch of people to hang out at my party. I fundamentally do not understand the appeal of making people wait on you.

that’s why you aren’t immensely wealthy. it’s the same mindset that lets people pay for sex: everything in life is simply transactional

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

vyelkin posted:

Mr. Hootington has asked to resign as IK of this thread so I have pulled his buttons, pour one out for a fellow Swiftie :boom:

good hoot. no wait, bad hoot

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

taydolf swiftler claims another mod

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pittsburgh posting is back on the menu

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

(Or it may be a parent’s wish for what the child’s interest could become. Frannie Hudson, an in-demand planner, threw a Ruth Bader Ginsberg-themed party for a 1-year-old in which she put doilies under balloons to mimic the justice’s iconic collar).

:guillotine:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hootington ran out of swiftie gifs and had to step down until they could find more :(