Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And the protagonist of your movie is named what again? I see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1648421005633929218?t=PCogBQAiD6cV67JchG2MYw&s=19

I'm sure nobody is surprised by this but here's when it's happening.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

“We’re pleased with the results of our Q1 launches in Canada, New Zealand, Spain and Portugal, strengthening our confidence that we have the right approach. As with Latin America, we see a cancel reaction in each market when we announce the news, which impacts near term member growth. But as borrowers start to activate their own accounts and existing members add ‘extra member’ accounts, we see increased acquisition and revenue. For example, in Canada, which we believe is a reliable predictor for the U.S., our paid membership base is now larger than prior to the launch of paid sharing and revenue growth has accelerated and is now growing faster than in the U.S.,” Netflix said in its first-quarter earnings letter.

I would not have expected that to be true

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I would not have expected that to be true

Yeah man I don't get it, streaming services get more expensive and worse every day but people keep buying it. At this point I think we should just start a company that manages and aggregates streaming subscriptions into one monthly bill before that actually just happens.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We could call it "Comcast"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I guess (devil's advocate) there's some appeal to people legally splitting a Netflix account, if the more people you add the cost per person goes down as well. I know personally my parents having their own password and not calling me every time they get a new TV would be kinda nice..... But not worth the extra $$$

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
With this crusade against the poor proving successful for them, are all the other streamers going to follow suit? I am maxed out personally, 3 is my limit.

muscles like this! posted:

It is such a weird movie. They literally forgot to film scenes so the plot doesn't actually make any sense. Also a bizarre choice to have Val Kilmer but then dub all his lines with someone who sounds nothing like him so it is super obvious.

I considered watching it but gave up when it became clear there was never going to be a sentient snowman of any sort.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 19, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

It's a drat good arrangement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyncsw3yq-k

I love how they get won over, the "this is cool" near the end :unsmith:

I can't get over how goddam ugly the Beavis and Butthead drawings are. Like, their faces are so unpleasant to look at. Buutheads nose grosses me the gently caress out and Beavis' underbite triggers me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's from that era of animation in the early nineties that was influenced by zine comic strips that were extremely grotesque. You get poo poo like aeon flux and The Head and it's just gross and the way society was back then that was provocative. I mean this is like the middle of the Disney golden age so it was kind of a counter cultural response to the extremely fluid, clean look of those movies.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Together with The Maxx, some great animated shows during that time

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Yeah it's from that era of animation in the early nineties that was influenced by zine comic strips that were extremely grotesque. You get poo poo like aeon flux and The Head and it's just gross and the way society was back then that was provocative. I mean this is like the middle of the Disney golden age so it was kind of a counter cultural response to the extremely fluid, clean look of those movies.

Aeon Flux is famously fluid, isn't it? Particularly that first set of episodes.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ijh2r

I dunno, I'd say this is still a fairly provocative work, and not just because it features some disturbingly muscular tongues (Æon Flux is generally pretty :NSFW:). It's very horny, often in unusual ways. The narrative is oblique, goes nowhere and ends on a deliberate absence of knowledge or success. The jokes are wild and dark. This stuff is still just as powerful as when it aired, IMO.

Though I guess we're currently in a period of Disney/Apple/instagram hegemony so this material is back to being relevant. Hell, I'm not sure that current Adult Swim does stuff like this, though muscles is the forums expert on that channel.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Head was such a strange great show. Dude with a giant head with an alien named Roy living in it, slammed his head down on people to beat them up.

I need to rewatch that one of these days. The Maxx was a better show (and comic) but there was something just goofy and great about watching The Head.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

As an impressionable 12-14 year old, Beavis & Butthead, The Head, and Aeon Flux/Liquid Television blew my little stupid mind

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
https://twitter.com/StreamrNews/status/1648351256778268673

The movie is a GOAT but without Alan Rickman why bother with this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nah.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

isaboo posted:

This has been in development for like a decade now. I remember when I first started listening to How Did This Get Made, Paul Scheer was tapped to write a pilot for it and this was in like 2016.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There was a Galaxy Quest documentary a few years ago where Scheer talked about the proposed show, and it really seemed dead even by then.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Does anyone happen to know what time tonight/tomorrow Beavis and Butthead's new season is dropping? The premiere date is April 20, but I'm just curious if it's one of those things where I can watch at 9 PM tonight since I'm in PST? :getin:

Not super familiar with Paramount+, I know Shudder drops stuff at midnight (which is usually 9 PM my time).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

isaboo posted:

What would this even be? The actors are even older and another group of idiot savant aliens build another ship for them to fly? Or is it a retelling of the original story? Not sure why we need this when the movie is already the best star trek movie.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Galaxy Quest: The Next Generation.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Read After Burning posted:

Does anyone happen to know what time tonight/tomorrow Beavis and Butthead's new season is dropping? The premiere date is April 20, but I'm just curious if it's one of those things where I can watch at 9 PM tonight since I'm in PST? :getin:

Not super familiar with Paramount+, I know Shudder drops stuff at midnight (which is usually 9 PM my time).

Midnight Pacific.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What would this even be? The actors are even older and another group of idiot savant aliens build another ship for them to fly? Or is it a retelling of the original story? Not sure why we need this when the movie is already the best star trek movie.

Maybe it'll be making fun of modern Trek production. Have 20 different executive producers all pulling for completely different visions, scripts that butcher every character and established element of the world, etc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hard drive has had some pretty good stuff on TLoU2

https://twitter.com/Jolitero_/status/1648732255307563029

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Maybe it'll be making fun of modern Trek production. Have 20 different executive producers all pulling for completely different visions, scripts that butcher every character and established element of the world, etc

From what I remember the version Scheer worked on was basically this, although more a parody of JJ Abrams' Trek reboot and Force Awakens.

It's funny to think that the show has been in development so long that Scheer's work predated the launch of all of the modern Trek shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/KenPlume/status/1648734979461988354?t=-DoAGDAQu5VnnaSlNP6TlA&s=19

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol I always forget about the JJ movies. I know I saw the first one and maybe parts of another. Honestly don't think Trek is very good as a movie, always leans too far away from what makes a Trek episode good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Chairman Capone posted:

It's funny to think that the show has been in development so long that Scheer's work predated the launch of all of the modern Trek shows.

And that, you know, Scheer is doing voices on Star Trek itself now (recurring role on Lower Decks). At least he probably segued some of that work into the current gig.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Lol I always forget about the JJ movies. I know I saw the first one and maybe parts of another. Honestly don't think Trek is very good as a movie, always leans too far away from what makes a Trek episode good.

Worked fine when they reskinned the JJ Trek movie and renamed it Guardians of the Galaxy.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

At this point are people admitting ted Lasso should have been a one season show? Because season one was a perfect Pandemic show. Right place, right time, lightening in a bottle.

Season two majorly, and I mean majorly jumped the shark. I saw a ton of always on twitter writer folks defending it, and folks here too. Season three is six episodes in and... crickets. Nobody on twitter is talking about it anymore, and the thread here seems like it's half the size of what it once was. I haven't watched an episode.

It's also interesting to see that on twitter, Picard is talked about very positively, but in the star trek thread here, it's just ripped apart. (I personally think the thread in here is general right on this one).

I am excited to start season two of Yellowjackets, (haven't had time to watch, might start tonight) but again, it's another show that's gotten crickets on twitter, which makes me nervous.

Last show that seems to have really gone south, with is Mando ended perfectly at the end of Season 2. I have had no interest in watching the third season, and again, the hype online has just not been there from what I've seen.

Still, there's a bunch of great basketball currently airing, and I'm finally getting into anime like the cool kids. (Attack on Titan is honesty pretty good, but I'm only in season one).

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Edward Mass posted:

Midnight Pacific.

Ah, boo! Got a busy day at work tomorrow, so can't justify staying up until 1 AM tonight for a stoner cartoon. :kiddo: Thank you anyway, I'll save it for tomorrow.

LionArcher posted:

I'm finally getting into anime like the cool kids. (Attack on Titan is honesty pretty good, but I'm only in season one).

I prefer to play my anime via video games rather than watch it, but PLEASE watch Eizouken, it's so drat good. And wholesome!

Read After Burning posted:

Dammit, Hands Off Eizouken is a really loving good anime. Like I could show this to a Normal and not feel embarrassed at all, I recommend everyone check out at least the first episode, especially if you like, uh, "creative process" stuff? Like one of the kids is a concept/artist person, one is an animator, and the third is a producer/business side of it, it's so fun.

A dub would be nice, though! :kiddo:

That sound you just heard was my partner cheering in excitement.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 19, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LionArcher posted:

At this point are people admitting ted Lasso should have been a one season show?

I’m not. I’m good with the 3 seasons.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not. I’m good with the 3 seasons.

I agree.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't really care about online hype, not sure why that's relevant. Almost all shows that trend on Twitter for me these days are stupid Netflix reality shows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My favorite shows that I look forward to each week are shows that most people haven't heard of. Everyone is obsessed with Succession and I turned off the recent episode because Barry came out halfway through watching it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LionArcher posted:

It's also interesting to see that on twitter, Picard is talked about very positively, but in the star trek thread here, it's just ripped apart. (I personally think the thread in here is general right on this one).

Picard season 3 is like having dessert only for your meal.

It trades heavily in nostalgia and callbacks and that's fine. I'm the prime age for that (growing up with TNG) and those things have been fun and I'm all for it, there have certainly been things that I'm all grins about when watching it.

That said, there are just so many unforced errors with the general plot/script. They manage to replicate old sets within a mm of the original but then can't stay consistent on how effective their hand phasers are to the enemy scene to scene within the same episode. I can't reconcile how they simultaneously have such attention to detail about one thing and then just be so incredibly amateurish plotting out baseline points that are necessary to keep the viewers engaged in the meta plot.

The pacing has also been pretty terrible, again. The first 8 episodes could have been condensed to 5 tops and most of the events have been rendered completely irrelevant to what happened in episode 9.

I'm happy it exists for some of the moments it has given us, but it makes me angry that it isn't made better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ted Lasso season 2 was loving awesome. 3 is much more flawed so far but still good

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I haven't been super into Ted Lasso this season, but it's fine and the most recent episode was quite good. Is it as good as it has been? No, but that doesn't mean it doesn't deserve to exist or is not just fundamentally enjoyable to watch. People are so afraid of shows going too long these days when many are lucky to just get 3 seasons.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ted lasso s3 isnt making GBS threads the bed as hard as mythic quest s3 did at least

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s very true. Mythic Quest s3 was poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This one show was amazing but now it's only great so it shouldnt even exist anymore.