Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Pounding my fists on the table, chanting Coin! Coin! Coin! like a hungry child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Fetterman appears to be in fine fettle.

This seems newsworthy to me since there's so much talk right now about elected officials being unable to fulfill their responsibilities, and alot of that has been directed at Fetterman due to his medical problems.

https://twitter.com/JohnFetterman/status/1648456948004827137?s=20

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 19, 2023

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

It's not that far off from "safe, legal, and rare" which, to be clear, is bullshit framing which caves to the right wing framing of abortion as wrong or bad or something to be ashamed off.

But certainly aborting female fetuses because you want a boy would be wrong?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Failed Imagineer posted:

Shutdown it is then :tootzzz:

It will be a default and not a government shutdown. Much more serious.

Randalor posted:

When do they have to pass it by before? Any bets on who will be the ones to vote against it? The "more moderate" Republicans for going too far, or the right-wing extremists who'll sink it out of spite/because they can/to own the libs?

Treasury estimates that June 5th is when they will hit the debt ceiling. The only people who have spoken out against it on the Republican side are two right-wing Republicans who say they will never raise the debt ceiling (which is obviously not a tenable position, so unclear when they would actually do it).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Still find it annoying that nobody really and definitively pushed back against the claim that "if we default nothing bad will happen". Like, defaults for any country are bad, I imagine a default for a country who's currency is the de-facto world reserve currency would be catastrophic.

But of course Republicans already hosed up the USA's credit rating and even then still think this game of chicken is something they can win. Speaking of, surprising that nobody has asked anyone in the GOP why they think ruining our credit rating is in line with "fiscal responsibility" and "you gotta budget the country like you budget a house". I know they wouldn't give a straight answer but it's still surprising.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's an interesting legal theory that the 14th Amendment negates the statutory debt limit anyway. If Biden were to invoke it and just tell the Treasury to keep printing money to pay debts, I think he'd probably stand a pretty good chance. The Supreme Court is insane right now, but I don't think they're so insane as to issue a 5-4 ruling that global financial collapse needs to happen immediately.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/23/opinion/fourteenth-amendment-debt-ceiling.html

quote:

Then there is Section 4, which offers a way out of the current impasse over increasing the debt ceiling. “The validity of the public debt of the United States,” it declares, “shall not be questioned.”

What were those who wrote, debated and ratified this provision trying to accomplish? The section arose from political conflicts over the way the Civil War had been financed. To pay the war’s enormous cost, Congress printed legal tender paper money (the “greenbacks”), raised taxes to unprecedented heights and authorized the sale of hundreds of millions of dollars in interest-bearing bonds.

Nearly all the laws authorizing the issuance of bonds specified that the government would redeem the notes in gold. The one exception was the act related to the “five-twenties,” bonds redeemable in five years and payable in 20, which was silent on how those who had lent money to the government by purchasing these bonds would be repaid.

This oversight, to quote the historian Irwin Unger, led directly to “a decade of intense and exasperating conflict.” Democrats sought to score political points by demanding that the five-twenties be repaid in paper money (which had deteriorated considerably in value), not gold. It would constitute an enormous unearned windfall, they insisted, for banks and large investors who had purchased these bonds with greenbacks to receive gold back from the government.

“Who has asked us to change the Constitution for the benefit of the bondholders?” Senator Thomas Hendricks of Indiana asked when the amendment was being debated. “Why give them this extraordinary guarantee?”

Republicans pointed out that much of the benefit of payment in gold would be enjoyed by ordinary Americans, who had purchased them from a small army of agents deployed by the financier Jay Cooke. They insisted that the sanctity of the national debt was as much a moral legacy of the Civil War as Emancipation itself.

The idea of paying the five-twenties in greenbacks was closely identified with “Gentleman George” Pendleton, the scion of a prominent Virginia family and the Democratic Party’s vice-presidential candidate in 1864, who hoped to ride it all the way to the White House. What came to be called the Pendleton Plan made its way into the Democrats’ national platform of 1868 over the strenuous objections not only of Republicans but also of Democrats tied to Wall Street, like the financier August Belmont, the Rothschild banking family’s representative in the United States, who naturally preferred to be paid in gold rather than paper money.

Section 4 was the Republicans’ response. While the language is certainly infelicitous (surely Congress could have found better wording than declaring it illegal to “question” the validity of the national debt), the historical context makes its purpose clear.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PostNouveau posted:

There's an interesting legal theory that the 14th Amendment negates the statutory debt limit anyway. If Biden were to invoke it and just tell the Treasury to keep printing money to pay debts, I think he'd probably stand a pretty good chance. The Supreme Court is insane right now, but I don't think they're so insane as to issue a 5-4 ruling that global financial collapse needs to happen immediately.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/23/opinion/fourteenth-amendment-debt-ceiling.html

I'm just operating on the assumption that default doesn't happen, the same way I'm operating on the assumption that I won't be taken out by a deorbiting toilet seat tomorrow. Exactly how it doesn't happen will be interesting.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

So, K-Mac appeared on CNBC the other day to talk, generally, about his plan and dealing with the debt ceiling, and in there he had this very brief exchange with one of the presenters:

CNBC posted:

Presenter: So, even if you cobble together the votes in the House, it then goes to the Senate. And then what?
McCarthy: Then it's their responsibility.

To me, this sounds like a soft admission that McCarthy has no real path forward here if the Senate Dems do what they should do with such a House bill - namely, take it, strip out everything that's not raising the debt ceiling, and throw it back down to them. What is the likelihood of something like that happening, should we actually get that far? And would enough Republicans in the House fold at that point to just pass a clean debt ceiling bill? Or would the Senate spiting them directly get them to dig in further?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'm just operating on the assumption that default doesn't happen, the same way I'm operating on the assumption that I won't be taken out by a deorbiting toilet seat tomorrow. Exactly how it doesn't happen will be interesting.

I'm sure they'll strike a deal. I'm just saying if the Democratic leadership had any kind of vision whatsoever, they wouldn't need to.

Looking at the planks in McCarthy's deal, a whole bunch of it probably isn't all that objectionable to the Democratic leadership. They won't repeal the IRA and they aren't dumb enough to do that life debt ceiling thing. Voiding student loan forgiveness would lose them too much face after they spent so much time saying it was the most perfect solution to the problem anyone could ever imagine (and they won't try another tactic to redo it when the court strikes it down). Aside from those:

- Cut domestic spending down to where it was in 2022 and cap the growth in total domestic spending to 1% per year for the next 10 years.

Yes, they'd do that.

- Requiring all unspent pandemic aid by the states to be returned and cancelling the disbursement of any remaining unspent pandemic aid at the federal level.

Sure

- Work requirements for SNAP beneficiaries.

They aren't gonna fight hard against this.

- Require faster and more additional oil and gas leasing on federal lands that the federal government has declined to hold auctions for to raise revenue.

They'd love to. Biden's doing it already.

- Repealing the EPA's new regulations on requiring utilities to begin removing PFAs from drinking water.

Iffy on this one.

- Reduce maximum TANF benefits without work or community engagement requirements.

Yeah, they'll do that in a heartbeat.

- Repeal a pause on leasing federal land for coal mining and increase the number of leases sold.

Oh, you'd better believe they want to do this.

- A resolution formally proclaiming congressional disapproval for the executive branch withdrawing the permits for the Keystone XL Pipeline (lol)
Probably not.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I don't believe a default will happen either, but I suspect Biden will blink a little bit if McCarthy gives.

However...if McCarthy gives then he's could be ejected from the speakership. If that happens....

Cimber fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 19, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Angry_Ed posted:

Steve Bannon who has failed at literally every other political op post-2016 and is still chasing the gold-foil-wrapped orange dragon named Trump

Yeah, but Brexit was a hella win for him.

And now the UK is enjoying a 10% inflation rate with food prices even higher.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Youremother posted:

Pounding my fists on the table, chanting Coin! Coin! Coin! like a hungry child

You know it will never happen. Sadly.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

- Cut domestic spending down to where it was in 2022 and cap the growth in total domestic spending to 1% per year for the next 10 years.

Yes, they'd do that.

- Requiring all unspent pandemic aid by the states to be returned and cancelling the disbursement of any remaining unspent pandemic aid at the federal level.

Sure

Why do you think either of these are even vaguely attractive to Democratic senators? A 10 year cap on domestic spending growth is insane, especially when the cap would shrink the federal budget in real terms because it's far below inflation. And the administration has plans for further pandemic aid, particularly wrt vaccine costs and availability.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pork never goes bad posted:

Why do you think either of these are even vaguely attractive to Democratic senators? A 10 year cap on domestic spending growth is insane, especially when the cap would shrink the federal budget in real terms because it's far below inflation. And the administration has plans for further pandemic aid, particularly wrt vaccine costs and availability.

Oh I misread the spending cap part. Yeah they won't go for 10 years.

The administration has been declaring covid over for awhile, and I haven't seen big pushes in the media on what they want to do with that money, so I think they'd drop it in the negotiations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm glad Biden has ignored the GOP's attempts to negotiate on this. I'm just curious if they have a backup plan in the likely event that nothing gets done by the drop-dead date. He has previously said that they are not going to 'mint the coin'.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm glad Biden has ignored the GOP's attempts to negotiate on this. I'm just curious if they have a backup plan in the likely event that nothing gets done by the drop-dead date. He has previously said that they are not going to 'mint the coin'.

Like was posted earlier, the backup is probably the 14th amendment approach. Order the treasury to violate the debt ceiling and dare someone to take them to court over it. Then dare the court to rule that the global financial order must implode

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...wasn't there just a post in here that "national" vaccine spending is ending, but if local and state goverments still want vaccine money they'll continue getting it in the federal goverment?

And, yeah, the pandemic is "over" in the fact it's never going away and we're just going to have to figure out a way to maximize harm reduction because now COVID-19 has multiple animal resivors and mutates too fast for something like a polio eradication plan - which also infects gorillas, interestingly enough - to work.

EDIT: Not that polio eradication is going great in the final few areas that have it due to a host of factors, some fake like "this is a secret plot to steralize you!" like the anti-vaxx crowd likes to say and some not fake like "this is being used by a cover for American spies to do stuff in the area."

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 20, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

Like was posted earlier, the backup is probably the 14th amendment approach. Order the treasury to violate the debt ceiling and dare someone to take them to court over it. Then dare the court to rule that the global financial order must implode
I think that's valid but I don't get why he is against minting the coin when it's almost exactly the same play

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't really expect the coin, but Biden saying he won't doesn't really mean anything since saying he would takes away all incentive for the Republicans to blink first: they can just move right onto being the principled party standing against dumb legal runarounds, or fight it in the courts ahead of time, or whatever else.

That doesn't mean he's holding the coin strategy in his back pocket either to be clear: it just means there's no likely situation where it's good strategy for Biden to endorse the coin or 14th amendment argument or other such strategies in advance.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TheDisreputableDog posted:

It is wrong.

But it’s non sequitur to abortions legality. Abortion’s legality should be independent of any deontological moral considerations because the alternative (it’s illegality) is far far worse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think that's valid but I don't get why he is against minting the coin when it's almost exactly the same play

Part of it is that a large chunk of the reason the dollar is the major world reserve currency is that the rest of the world knows they can put their money in treasury bills and they will get paid back exactly what was promised exactly on the time promised. The security, stability, and insurance of it is the reason people loan the U.S. money at very low rates - because it is a guaranteed return.

The problem with the coin or the 14th amendment is that it introduces a lot of legal uncertainty while it plays out and literal uncertainty because it means that things aren't functioning the way they should and they are having to take extreme measures to pay back their bills. Once you introduce a lot of uncertainty into the system, you risk damaging the thing that keeps it all going - the full faith and credit of the U.S. and the security of the dollar. There's a reason most countries aren't investing in other currencies that offer a lot larger returns, it's because the dollar and U.S. treasuries are supposed to be a 100% sure thing. When you take it down to even just a 90% sure thing, you start to wipe away a lot of what makes it valuable. Taking extreme measures or giving in to Republican policy demands essentially incentivizes additional brinkmanship and makes the entire system much more uncertain.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

His people keep insisting that he can't put trains on both sides of the coin.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don't disagree but I think that anything happening in Congress currently is a waste of time, and McCarthy is going to get removed as Speaker if he capitulates and attempts to get through a clean bill at the last minute, so I am very concerned that the only real options are going to be what had previously been expressed as 'extreme/untested measures'.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

His people keep insisting that he can't put trains on both sides of the coin.

That's bullshit, engine and caboose :mad:

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Why would it be wrong?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Ither posted:

Why would it be wrong?

Unjustified whim

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't disagree but I think that anything happening in Congress currently is a waste of time, and McCarthy is going to get removed as Speaker if he capitulates and attempts to get through a clean bill at the last minute, so I am very concerned that the only real options are going to be what had previously been expressed as 'extreme/untested measures'.

All it takes is 4 GOP members with rich backers who don’t wanna see their portfolios poo poo the bed.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Abortion rights revolving around the potential actions of a hypothetical person who is getting abortions just to get silly with it is still not a viable argument for or against abortion

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

All it takes is 4 GOP members with rich backers who don’t wanna see their portfolios poo poo the bed.
Didn't McCarthy agree to a rule change that just one member of the House can put a resolution for his removal on the floor at the beginning of this session of Congress? I thought he did.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

That sounds like a question of how much you believe in individual freedom vs. social responsibility. The traditional right-wing individualistic take would be that everyone should make their own decisions about what's best for their family and no one should interfere with it. A more liberal view might be that aggregate decisions favoring sons over daughters would have discriminatory consequences and people should account for that. However, there's also the further left view that issues like societal sexism can't be solved simply by moderating your own personal behavior and collective action is necessary. And of course those suspicious of encroaching government power on any part of the spectrum would want the authorities to butt out of their reproductive decisions.

For me it's kinda abstract since I'm not planning to have children any time soon, and it's a hard question I don't have easy answers for. It's certainly a personal decision either way. Am I correct in assuming you're more on the individualistic side though?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Driving a car into a playground would also be wrong, but it has no legal bearing on the matter of car ownership.

I personally don't care why anyone would get an abortion, I don't think anyone else should, and I think the law should reflect that. And even if someone did get an abortion for some made up, objectively objectionable reason, they could just lie about it, so it's completely moot anyway.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't McCarthy agree to a rule change that just one member of the House can put a resolution for his removal on the floor at the beginning of this session of Congress? I thought he did.

No one has to remove anyone - 4 GOP members can join the Democrats in a discharge petition to send a clean debt ceiling bill to a vote.

This typically doesn’t happen because at that point the speaker has lost control of the majority, but we’re kinda past that point now.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Youremother posted:

Abortion rights revolving around the potential actions of a hypothetical person who is getting abortions just to get silly with it is still not a viable argument for or against abortion

If I've learned anything in my life, it's that the only reason cancer hasn't been cured is aborted hypothetical scientists, and the deforestation of the Amazon.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Exercising bodily autonomy is never wrong. Getting an abortion for any reason isn't wrong. It doesn't matter if the fetus is a magically hyperintelligent fetus that can already solve quantum physics problems.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The usual way to resolve that analysis in considering various eugenic fertility treatment practices is that the selection of embryos is a separate act from the termination.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Would it?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Only if you think aborting fetuses is a moral wrong, which I don't.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Angry_Ed posted:

Still find it annoying that nobody really and definitively pushed back against the claim that "if we default nothing bad will happen". Like, defaults for any country are bad, I imagine a default for a country who's currency is the de-facto world reserve currency would be catastrophic.

But of course Republicans already hosed up the USA's credit rating and even then still think this game of chicken is something they can win. Speaking of, surprising that nobody has asked anyone in the GOP why they think ruining our credit rating is in line with "fiscal responsibility" and "you gotta budget the country like you budget a house". I know they wouldn't give a straight answer but it's still surprising.

Their straight answer is and will be: It's the Dem's fault. They're the ones who refuse to negotiate with us by giving us everything we want and then some and that's why they're making us do this.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Support of abortion in the U.S. has always been highly conditional on the circumstances & timing, and not just among republicans.

Sixty percent support abortion in the first 12 weeks, but that drops to only 28 percent for beyond first trimester. And the reasons a woman chooses an abortion factor in wildly when it comes to support:

Dig it: Fewer than half of Americans support first-trimester abortion "for any reason" that the woman wants.

eta the Politifact writeup:

quote:

Another seeming paradox pops up in a recent Fox News poll. On the one hand, 63% of respondents said Roe should be kept in place, compared with 27% who said it should be overturned. But a narrow majority of 50% supported laws that would ban abortion after six weeks of pregnancy, except in the case of medical emergency. A slightly larger majority of 54% supported laws that would ban abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy except in a medical emergency. Either policy would be considered an aggressive restriction on abortion.

The reason for an abortion and the timing of a procedure can play a major role about how people think about the issue.

Some exceptions to hypothetical abortion bans are widely accepted, such as access to an abortion after rape or incest; others are not as widely supported. Consistently, the support for access to abortion drops depending on whether the abortion would be done in the third trimester, rather than the first.

Some of the most detailed data comes from a 2018 Gallup poll. In the first trimester, Gallup found, support for allowing a legal abortion was overwhelming in the case of danger to the woman (83%) and in the event of rape or incest (77%). Majorities also supported access to a first-trimester abortion for a child facing a life-threatening illness (67%) and if the child was mentally disabled (56%).

Support, however, dropped by between 8 and 25 percentage points if the scenario required a third-trimester abortion. And in either the first or third trimester, only a minority of respondents said they would support access to abortion for a fetus with Down syndrome or if the woman wanted an abortion for "any reason."

https://www.politifact.com/article/2022/may/05/why-abortion-polling-hides-true-complexity/

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I have to imagine there has been movement on those questions since that poll was done 5 years ago...