Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Struensee posted:

The inside lock on one of our doors suddenly won't turn. Don't think there's anything in the lock, the key goes in fine. The outside portion turns no problem. It's a fairly new lock, 2-3 years old. I tried a little bit of WD-40, no effect. Haven't taken the plate off yet, is there something simple I can try before calling a locksmith?

Struensee posted:

Didn't see the post before I came home, won't have a chance to stop by the hardware store until Friday. I took the lock out, the side that isn't working will work if I have it upside down (pins up). Any idea what causes this?

In case anyone was wondering what happened, one of the pins had rusted stuck. I'm getting a new lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Hadlock wanted me to post this here I think, I don't remember if I did or not but here it is. The ratturd/catpiss house remodel was finished about one year ago and it went very well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tmkzgLnCfM

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

What's the general opinion on spraying for ticks/mosquitos? I live in the northeast and we had a super mild winter and just had a few days in the 80s already. Seems like I can't walk from point A to B without picking up a couple deer ticks. My kids mainly keep to the back yard, but we also have 60 acres of woods behind our house, so spraying seems kind of futile. We did when we moved in last year, but this year I'll probably just keep up with the mowing and create some mulch barriers along the edges.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zenguitarman posted:

What's the general opinion on spraying for ticks/mosquitos? I live in the northeast and we had a super mild winter and just had a few days in the 80s already. Seems like I can't walk from point A to B without picking up a couple deer ticks. My kids mainly keep to the back yard, but we also have 60 acres of woods behind our house, so spraying seems kind of futile. We did when we moved in last year, but this year I'll probably just keep up with the mowing and create some mulch barriers along the edges.

Talstar P on the lawn and into the woodland interface.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I'm also interested in that answer as the tick infestation up here just cannot be believed. Amazon has a generic in stock -- "Bifenthrin I/T 7.9 F (generic Talstar)" -- is there any reason not to go with that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm also interested in that answer as the tick infestation up here just cannot be believed. Amazon has a generic in stock -- "Bifenthrin I/T 7.9 F (generic Talstar)" -- is there any reason not to go with that?

That'll do just fine. All the matters is the active ingredient unless you have some real specific application needs that require a particular preparation. In this case, you're just going to be diluting and spraying out of a hand or backpack sprayer so no special considerations.

It's not a 100% solution when you're up against a woodland interface, but it makes a huge difference in pushing them back out of your yard.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zenguitarman posted:

No advice for ticks, but for mosquitos walk around your property and make sure there isn't any standing water that they're breeding in. Obviously not an option if your house backs up to a swamp, but even relatively small amounts of water that stays put between rains can lead to mosquito hell. It might be as simple as covering things, tipping other things out after a rain, etc. Check your down-spouts too, I've seen ones with the angle badly hosed (for example an extension trying to get out away from the foundation that isn't on right and runs uphill very slightly) hold onto water and create a great breeding spot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

No advice for ticks, but for mosquitos walk around your property and make sure there isn't any standing water that they're breeding in. Obviously not an option if your house backs up to a swamp, but even relatively small amounts of water that stays put between rains can lead to mosquito hell. It might be as simple as covering things, tipping other things out after a rain, etc. Check your down-spouts too, I've seen ones with the angle badly hosed (for example an extension trying to get out away from the foundation that isn't on right and runs uphill very slightly) hold onto water and create a great breeding spot.

Yeah, this is a huge one.

And if you're in the northeast (at least) the kind of mosquitoes that we have do not like garlic. I've been very sucessfully spraying this totally non toxic garlic stuff on the grass and shrubs around the patio and paths every 4-6 weeks and it keeps them mostly gone:

https://www.domyown.com/mosquito-barrier-p-3893.html

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Introduce a possum infestation to your yard. They eat ticks. Now, as for dealing with them darned possums...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Possums eat ticks if you dump a big box of thousands of ticks onto them, as per a 1970s mad science experiment which was then extrapolated more generally.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I leave a small cereal bowl with like half an inch to an inch of water in there in the corner of my yard and dump it into my "fish pond" every other day to supplement their feeding with live mosquito larvae. They go after them like candy. There are almost always 5-10 mosquito larvae in there, without fail. Sometimes upwards of 20. Mosquitoes breed in stagnant water like crazy, I had no idea until very recently. They don't need much water at all.

I ordered a pair of these last year, apparently they're modeled after the same ones the military uses. It's a small bucket that holds a cup of water with a tea bag of low grade mosquito poison. I guess the red mouth is to attract mosquitoes (they're pollinators :science:) . The mosquito lays the eggs in the bucket and within a couple hours the egg dies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09F8858JY/

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

That'll do just fine. All the matters is the active ingredient unless you have some real specific application needs that require a particular preparation. In this case, you're just going to be diluting and spraying out of a hand or backpack sprayer so no special considerations.

It's not a 100% solution when you're up against a woodland interface, but it makes a huge difference in pushing them back out of your yard.

How well does this stuff "stay in place" and not end up as runoff? We live next to a preserve, but also we've found ticks on our kids already and they were horrendous last year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

How well does this stuff "stay in place" and not end up as runoff? We live next to a preserve, but also we've found ticks on our kids already and they were horrendous last year.

It stays in place just fine if you apply it properly. Like most water based broadcast liquid pesticides or herbicides you need to let the area dry completely to be safe to re-enter, safe for pets, safe to not run off.

So you should be applying on a sunny day with calm winds early enough that it will dry. And preferably at least 24 hours before any rain.

The label will have specific instructions regarding application and in pesticides "the label is the law". I'm quoting that because it's the language used, not because it's just a saying. It's literally the law. Pesticide labels are reviewed by the EPA and approved before sale making them literally carry the weight of an EPA regulatory determination. So follow what's on there.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 17, 2023

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

zenguitarman posted:

I hate spraying wide spectrum poison into the lawn and woods that kills way more than just ticks. I had really good results with cedar oil last year. Apply once every few days in the spring then weekly through the summer. You spray it on with a garden hose attachment: https://cedarcide.com/collections/lawn-garden/products/pco-choice?variant=43848290435292

Expensive but it goes a LONG way. I barely went through a quart all summer on about 5k square feet of lawn.

Also, treating clothes with permethrin spray works great as a backup / outside the spray area. This is the most economical bulk deal I've found on it that isn't livestock concentrate: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00TNYPQY4

skybolt_1 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 18, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Sundae posted:

Introduce a possum infestation to your yard. They eat ticks. Now, as for dealing with them darned possums...

Wait, I know this. Let me remember...

There was an old lady who swallowed a shoe...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Possums eat ticks if you dump a big box of thousands of ticks onto them, as per a 1970s mad science experiment which was then extrapolated more generally.

:wtc:

Of course it was. Why wouldn't it be something like the lemmings. :negative: But now that we have all these possums, it feels like a waste not to put them in your yard anyway.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For ticks, you can make tick tubes with toilet paper tubes, cotton balls, and permethin. It's not going to solve your immediate issue since the adult ticks are already there, but it should help going forward.

That page explains it pretty well, but basically you target mice which are an important part of the tick lifecycle. With tubes, there's pretty much no downside. Permethin is pretty safe once it's dry (use caution while you're soaking the cotton balls if you have pets), and you're not doing wide-area application of pesticides.

I wouldn't suggest buying them commercially... they're literally toilet paper tubes stuffed with cotton balls soaked in permethin. You can get a lifetime supply of permethin from domyown.com for about $20, and the rest of the supplies are cheap/free.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

What can I do to prevent wasps from building nests on my wood fence? Last year I found wasp nests on the underside of the fence railing. They had gotten maybe fist sized, I sprayed some wasp killer stuff on them and then later smashed up them up with a hammer. I assume they are kinda seasonal because after that, there weren't any new ones. But now that spring is here, I found a couple started and destroyed em. Is there something I can just spray down that will prevent them from trying in the first place? That is also safe for my neighbors chickens and all their fruit plants?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I recently bought a house and it’s been a fuckin nightmare.

2 water leaks and a poo poo load of water damage lol.

The second plumber (who is really cool) said that the pressure valve looks to have failed so he’s going to replace that which should help.

It was a really nice two weeks of owning a house where nothing was wrong. Lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Have any of you bent half inch pvc with a heat gun before? Can you avoid kinks without having to use sand? Just wondering how much of a pain this project is going to be.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Tiny Timbs posted:

Have any of you bent half inch pvc with a heat gun before? Can you avoid kinks without having to use sand? Just wondering how much of a pain this project is going to be.

Yes. No, not unless you are really not concerned with how it looks. Wouldn't do it again unless I had to.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s just a 100ft run to extend a hose so I don’t care about looks if it’ll still work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently gray ( electrical conduit) PVC is designed to be bent with heat without kinks

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s just a 100ft run to extend a hose so I don’t care about looks if it’ll still work.

Is there a reason some combination of 90/45/22.5 elbows won't get you where you need to go? Gentle bends (like if you're just want to curve the whole run) should be fine without elbows or heat.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

I recently bought a house and it’s been a fuckin nightmare.

2 water leaks and a poo poo load of water damage lol.

The second plumber (who is really cool) said that the pressure valve looks to have failed so he’s going to replace that which should help.

It was a really nice two weeks of owning a house where nothing was wrong. Lol

lol. the very first night after setting up my living room I sat down in my easy chair ready to enjoy the new place and heard a drip in the wall. It's been one goddamn thing or another ever since.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

paid to have the biggest homeowner's special hack job that was on our house fixed - an insane porch roof shitshow under our balcony with emergency flashing tape (they covered up the built in gutter, lmao good job). we aren't able to add in a gutter, but had permanent EDPM and a metal drip edge installed. now this won't leak in a year and rot out our front porch roof, and doesn't look like dogshit from the street.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

Is there a reason some combination of 90/45/22.5 elbows won't get you where you need to go? Gentle bends (like if you're just want to curve the whole run) should be fine without elbows or heat.

I want to mount it a few feet off the ground along the fence but a couple 22.5 elbows might be ok if it has enough flex on its own. The curve is pretty gentle past the first 10 feet of awkward geometry.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Tiny Timbs posted:

I want to mount it a few feet off the ground along the fence but a couple 22.5 elbows might be ok if it has enough flex on its own. The curve is pretty gentle past the first 10 feet of awkward geometry.

Why not use something like sprinkler swing pipe? Flexible, UV stable, dark color will blend in pretty well, cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-SWGP100M-Coil-Pipe/dp/B0002YP94Q/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skybolt_1 posted:

Why not use something like sprinkler swing pipe? Flexible, UV stable, dark color will blend in pretty well, cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-SWGP100M-Coil-Pipe/dp/B0002YP94Q/

Good point. I was just going with the material as a requirement.

Well line is also cheap, easy to use and readily available. And appropriate for direct burial if that's a thing OP is interested in.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm probably overthinking it. I was thinking a hard line elevated a few feet along the fenceline would help me with draining it in the winter and let me attach a couple garden hose valves at useful intervals but that's a lot of work to make a permanent fixture that I'd have to keep slathered in UV-resistant coating when I could just do some stuff with flexible hose and clamps.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

phosdex posted:

What can I do to prevent wasps from building nests on my wood fence? Last year I found wasp nests on the underside of the fence railing. They had gotten maybe fist sized, I sprayed some wasp killer stuff on them and then later smashed up them up with a hammer. I assume they are kinda seasonal because after that, there weren't any new ones. But now that spring is here, I found a couple started and destroyed em. Is there something I can just spray down that will prevent them from trying in the first place? That is also safe for my neighbors chickens and all their fruit plants?
I've heard putting up fake nests made from a wadded up paper bag works to keep them away, but I've never tried it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What should I be looking for in pavers for a patio? Any particular characteristics or is it just basically stones that will eventually fade, regardless of the marketing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MJP posted:

What should I be looking for in pavers for a patio? Any particular characteristics or is it just basically stones that will eventually fade, regardless of the marketing?

What are you trying to accomplish/what are your goals?

I think EP Henry reconstituted stone looks like garbage so I've got a bluestone patio. It does not fade. It is not dead level like reconstituted stone. It costs a lot more. It may cost a lot a lot more if you don't live some place where it's being quarried literally a mile away, but you may have a reasonable substitute where you live.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

What are you trying to accomplish/what are your goals?

I think EP Henry reconstituted stone looks like garbage so I've got a bluestone patio. It does not fade. It is not dead level like reconstituted stone. It costs a lot more. It may cost a lot a lot more if you don't live some place where it's being quarried literally a mile away, but you may have a reasonable substitute where you live.

I'm getting our current old patio demo'd and rebuilt with a few more feet to it. I'm looking for a mostly smooth/non-textured neutral light color stone with thin joints that won't absorb too much heat in the summer. I don't need anything too fancy or intricate designs - it's going to be only like 13 by 9 feet - so simple, rectangular shaped should be fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MJP posted:

I'm getting our current old patio demo'd and rebuilt with a few more feet to it. I'm looking for a mostly smooth/non-textured neutral light color stone with thin joints that won't absorb too much heat in the summer. I don't need anything too fancy or intricate designs - it's going to be only like 13 by 9 feet - so simple, rectangular shaped should be fine.

Who is doing the work? They should be telling you where to go to look at samples.

But this all sounds like engineered stone and yes, it's all going to fade no matter what they say.

Something that closely matches what you've said so far is a concrete slab. If that's too plan/boring consider getting it stamped.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hand glazed tiles from the Middle East?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
So, drinking my morning coffee and notice some noise seeming to come from the backyard, look out my window and...

My neighbor is replacing our shared fence! Sorely needed, the old one was practically falling over. I am a little shocked he didn't at least let me know he was having this done, but apparently it's costing him 13k so, I ain't complain-in!

Sent my dad a pic more just for a laugh then anything and he immediately responded "Make sure the clean side is facing you, if they're building the fence they should have the clean side facing your yard". :okboomer: Chatted with the owner and he's having it built with the posts facing my side, as it was before. Since he's fronting the cost, this seems utterly silly to complain about. It didn't bother me before, it's not something I would ever have worried about, and I'm just glad this is getting done.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

hobbez posted:

So, drinking my morning coffee and notice some noise seeming to come from the backyard, look out my window and...

My neighbor is replacing our shared fence! Sorely needed, the old one was practically falling over. I am a little shocked he didn't at least let me know he was having this done, but apparently it's costing him 13k so, I ain't complain-in!

Sent my dad a pic more just for a laugh then anything and he immediately responded "Make sure the clean side is facing you, if they're building the fence they should have the clean side facing your yard". :okboomer: Chatted with the owner and he's having it built with the posts facing my side, as it was before. Since he's fronting the cost, this seems utterly silly to complain about. It didn't bother me before, it's not something I would ever have worried about, and I'm just glad this is getting done.

lol at your dad. That's very boomer dad thing to say. And you've got it right, you're not paying so you don't get an opinion unless asked.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

It might be my midwest brain talking but I would want the "ugly" side facing my house to have official status as the better neighbor

And if its truly on the property line I would ask to contribute cash. I think in a lot of places you are required to share responsibility

esquilax fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Best practice when a neighbor is building a fence is don't say poo poo about the fence ever for the rest of your life