Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ReVerve posted:

Some of the following may do some scratchin for you.

Either of the Ori games
Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
Bloodstained: RotN
Timespinner
Tunic
Asterigos Curse of the Stars
Darksiders 3

If it's true that they haven't explored the metroidvania genre very much, they may not have played Symphony of the Night, and should do so immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Monster Sanctuary is a neat metroidvania mixed with mon RPG mechanics, has a built in optional randomizer and nuzlocke mode too

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
symphony is perfection. Everyone should be required to play it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok one very good thing about Burning Shores is the herbalist who sells every animal part so I could upgrade all my pouches like I never did before cos I was sick of hunting

acksplode
May 17, 2004

One nice thing about metroidvanias is that the name of the genre tells you where to start

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

loving machines in Horizon are so tanky

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Goddamn the concepr art for ff1 is god tier. Can really see how ff14 tried to capture the cities from it, like when youre in thanlan and see uldah on the horizion and elmore

Theres one they clearly used for jack too lmao

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

haveblue posted:

If it's true that they haven't explored the metroidvania genre very much, they may not have played Symphony of the Night, and should do so immediately

I havent played SotN actually! But I hear good things, so I’ll put it on my list.

acksplode posted:

One nice thing about metroidvanias is that the name of the genre tells you where to start

The old Castlevania games seem really hard, and not in a fun way, so I never gave them a proper chance. The only castlevania game I’ve played is the one that was released on ps2. Lament of Innocence, I think. It was okay 🤷‍♂️ Willing to give SotN a try though!

Never played Metroid and don’t have a Nintendo console. Could find a rom, but, you know, i’d rather not play on my laptop.

Tunic and Blasphemous seem interesting as well, so I’m putting those on the list as well.

Thanks for all the input!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I was being glib, the older Castlevanias aren't part of the genre since they don't have open exploration of a big map. The genre name refers specifically to Super Metroid and SotN, and they're both classics that hold up perfectly. Play both as soon as possible any way you can. Plug a controller into your laptop and play Super Metroid, it's worth it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

blue squares posted:

I mean they would have to be to handle all that loving

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BisterdDave posted:

Ngl this kind of sold me on it now. It sounds exactly like the kind of relaxing gameplay I've been wanting lately. Probably helps that I really enjoyed the base game too!

It's glorious. Far and away the best looking game on the market, what Guerilla is doing with clouds, water, sand, destructible terrain, etc is on another level. Decima is magic technology imo, and also what they're doing with the soundtrack in the DLC is just so beautiful.

Contrary to what some others have said they let you right into the action in the DLC, there's about 15 minutes of story setup, they give you the new settlement and time to upgrade if needed, then you have the option of going open-country or going on the first story mission which is a total banger, this tower climb like something out of 2LOU with a boss at the top. They very specifically let you carve your own path to the objective and you are not actually following anyone, while the new machine at the front door introduces some novel swarm damage-chaining mechanics that are a good challenge.

I hosed around with the new options in the skill trees, mostly burning points on new melee and grapple skills. I disagree with the tilted goon chorus about the mechanical direction of HFW from HZD. I'm so impressed at the innovations they focused on from a jack of all trades monhun-lite in HZD with simplified movement to what is essentially a hardcore arpg that zeroes in on exactly what they know makes it special and distinct from other games, insanely flexible combat traversal and elemental improv. Being able to chain grapples into vaults into glides into mid-air focus shots into grapples...just this wild dance of jumpyshooty...it's loving sublime.

One of my original hot takes about HZD was that it didn't know what the hell it wanted to be and none of its systems were fleshed out or flexible enough to answer that question. Mechanically speaking, playing an Aloy skin-swap in Monster Hunter World offered a more dynamic and fun bow combat experience at the time imo. I really love that Guerilla didn't abandon any fundamentals for HFW but just went to town on bolstering and balancing a fast, flexible, deep combat system that required focus, purposeful rpg customization, and real skill to exploit rather than relying on one single technique. I love it!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh god I really want to hold off and stick to my backlog but Burning Shores sounds awesome. Seems like they nailed another “best of” sort of dlc like Frozen Wilds. They’re really good at that sort of thing huh. I miss Aloy.

It's this op, absolutely premium tier content

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

BurningBeard posted:

I had never played it until two or three years ago, and yeah that game is amazing. Somehow I had skipped all the Castlevanias in my youth. Played all the Metroids and everything else.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Attitude Indicator posted:

I havent played SotN actually! But I hear good things, so I’ll put it on my list.

The old Castlevania games seem really hard, and not in a fun way, so I never gave them a proper chance. The only castlevania game I’ve played is the one that was released on ps2. Lament of Innocence, I think. It was okay 🤷‍♂️ Willing to give SotN a try though!

Never played Metroid and don’t have a Nintendo console. Could find a rom, but, you know, i’d rather not play on my laptop.

Tunic and Blasphemous seem interesting as well, so I’m putting those on the list as well.

Thanks for all the input!

The older CVs are varying degrees of old school good (and Simon’s Quest is fascinating imo), but SotN is the first one I’d really call a universal must play.

It can still be a hard game like its predecessors but the difficulty is really smoothed out by the RPG growth system, the removal of instant death pits, and the semi non-linear way it was put together.

And swords > whips sorry have to say it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Dewgy posted:

And swords > whips sorry have to say it

threaded cane says no

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Booted up Horizon last night for the new DLC, opened up my weapon wheel and saw 18 different arrow types. Force closed and played RE4:R again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

from the nintendo direct, "Summer 2023 on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, and Nintendo Switch."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDW-10FnrE

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

Booted up Horizon last night for the new DLC, opened up my weapon wheel and saw 18 different arrow types. Force closed and played RE4:R again.

I know, it fuckin owns :allears:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vikar Jerome posted:

Ooohh poo poo elden ring leak with a video and dlc details

https://imgur.io/a/jWvdCrA

as big as the main map :vince:

Don't believe any of this, but it is a dream.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm excited to play the sequel to Stranger of Paradise, Final Fantasy

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Burning Shores letting you into the new content right away is technically true. The intro cutscenes, scripted boat ride, and dialogue trees are technically new content. Aside from the brief widemaw fight, it takes a bit to get to much real interactivity. The first proper mission had an illusion of choice with forking paths to the tower, but they both go through visually similar areas and lead to the same fight. That fight was really cool though. But then you’re off on a ps3 era linear tower climb to fight one of the laziest video game boss designs there can be.

I stopped playing after that so I haven’t really interacted with the new underwater or cloud mechanics yet. But that was just too intense a dose of all the things I don’t like about HFW’s (or Assassin’s Creed Valhalla’s or any other given AAA open world game’s) quest design.

It’s probably just a heavy dose of linearity to establish the new location, characters and stakes. I’d have been more forgiving if the writing quality was on par with Druckmann, since more extreme examples in his games don’t bother me. It could well be worth pushing through on a night where I have more patience.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 20, 2023

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

blue squares posted:

Which is fine and good, because it's so satisfying breaking their parts off, you wouldn't want them dying too quick.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I disagree with the tilted goon chorus about the mechanical direction of HFW from HZD. I'm so impressed at the innovations they focused on from a jack of all trades monhun-lite in HZD with simplified movement to what is essentially a hardcore arpg that zeroes in on exactly what they know makes it special and distinct from other games, insanely flexible combat traversal and elemental improv. Being able to chain grapples into vaults into glides into mid-air focus shots into grapples...just this wild dance of jumpyshooty...it's loving sublime.

None of that has anything to do with the way every enemy is focused on charging directly at you or firing bizarrely accurate projectiles at you while also drastically lowering iframes so I spend more time knocked on my rear end then I did even in Yakuza Kiwami but ok

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

None of that has anything to do with the way every enemy is focused on charging directly at you or firing bizarrely accurate projectiles at you while also drastically lowering iframes so I spend more time knocked on my rear end then I did even in Yakuza Kiwami but ok

skill issue

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t do that poo poo man c’mon

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

But seriously, I get it. HFW is harder than HZD and I like it for that reason. It pushes you to optimize your poo poo, mix things up, and look for critical weaknesses. When the big frog jumps at you I'd advise sliding underneath it. Hit it with a sling glob of yellow goo and then chuck some spears. Grapple above it or use the geysers to float up and focus shot, and throw down traps in the middle valley. You can also chain reaction the bugs. It's a cool fight with a lot of ways to approach, but it's also easy to be under-leveled for.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nah, the combat and enemy design in HFW rules. Even the biggest enemies go down fast if you if exploit their weaknesses and most of them have fun patterns to evade. The new egg-laying frog dude ruled.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
IDGAF about Horizon cause I thought the first was dull as dishwater but I’m just gonna throw out that making additional accessibility options only available on PS5 is a biiiiig fuckin dick move and they should get dragged for it.

The current messaging is that because they added in some kinda feature for people with fear of deep water that increases visibility that it’s not technically practical to port it back to previous gen but that’s horse poo poo because there are tons of little things they added in which could easily be backported and they didn’t bother. Pretty bullshit imho.

Also I won’t ever piss on accessibility options as a rule but I kinda feel like fear of deep water isn’t a disability as such and I find their priorities strange. Not saying it shouldn’t be there, cause whatever it’ll probably help someone out but… man talk about a narrow field to cover.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 20, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm so excited for where GG takes the combat for whatever Horizon 3 is, I hope they don't dumb it down at all from where it's currently at.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean, the lower difficulty options should fix any problem with difficulty or tankiness. I popped it down to grab the last few achievements last year and the lowest difficulty option makes it so you can plink standard arrows at the biggest baddies without regard to weaknesses and they still drop super fast. Anyone who doesn't want to deal with the challenge can just use those, so I imagine the upper levels of difficulty will remain as they are in 3.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I started HFWBS and have no idea how to play any more. Don't remember what my weapons are or why I chose them.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Nevermind. My bad.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 20, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

I mean, the lower difficulty options should fix any problem with difficulty or tankiness. I popped it down to grab the last few achievements last year and the lowest difficulty option makes it so you can plink standard arrows at the biggest baddies without regard to weaknesses and they still drop super fast. Anyone who doesn't want to deal with the challenge can just use those, so I imagine the upper levels of difficulty will remain as they are in 3.

Nah you still spend the entire game stunned or on the ground you just don’t die from it.

BP wants this to be stupid idiots complaining about the new weapons and traversal options and how they make it too difficult but that’s not the issue at all, all that poo poo is cool and very welcome. They just tuned the enemy AI very badly so it’s all single-mindedly focused on smacking you about And Literally Nothing Else which only serves to make it more of a slog and, for me, actively less fun to play than the previous game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's glorious. Far and away the best looking game on the market, what Guerilla is doing with clouds, water, sand, destructible terrain, etc is on another level. Decima is magic technology imo, and also what they're doing with the soundtrack in the DLC is just so beautiful.

Contrary to what some others have said they let you right into the action in the DLC, there's about 15 minutes of story setup, they give you the new settlement and time to upgrade if needed, then you have the option of going open-country or going on the first story mission which is a total banger, this tower climb like something out of 2LOU with a boss at the top. They very specifically let you carve your own path to the objective and you are not actually following anyone, while the new machine at the front door introduces some novel swarm damage-chaining mechanics that are a good challenge.

I hosed around with the new options in the skill trees, mostly burning points on new melee and grapple skills. I disagree with the tilted goon chorus about the mechanical direction of HFW from HZD. I'm so impressed at the innovations they focused on from a jack of all trades monhun-lite in HZD with simplified movement to what is essentially a hardcore arpg that zeroes in on exactly what they know makes it special and distinct from other games, insanely flexible combat traversal and elemental improv. Being able to chain grapples into vaults into glides into mid-air focus shots into grapples...just this wild dance of jumpyshooty...it's loving sublime.

One of my original hot takes about HZD was that it didn't know what the hell it wanted to be and none of its systems were fleshed out or flexible enough to answer that question. Mechanically speaking, playing an Aloy skin-swap in Monster Hunter World offered a more dynamic and fun bow combat experience at the time imo. I really love that Guerilla didn't abandon any fundamentals for HFW but just went to town on bolstering and balancing a fast, flexible, deep combat system that required focus, purposeful rpg customization, and real skill to exploit rather than relying on one single technique. I love it!

It's this op, absolutely premium tier content

Aw poo poo hype levels reaching maximum :gizz:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah you still spend the entire game stunned or on the ground you just don’t die from it.

BP wants this to be stupid idiots complaining about the new weapons and traversal options and how they make it too difficult but that’s not the issue at all, all that poo poo is cool and very welcome. They just tuned the enemy AI very badly so it’s all single-mindedly focused on smacking you about And Literally Nothing Else which only serves to make it more of a slog and, for me, actively less fun to play than the previous game.

Nah, I'm just sharing my impressions and trying to stay lighthearted about it. It's okay if we don't agree. :)

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Vikar Jerome posted:

Ooohh poo poo elden ring leak with a video and dlc details

https://imgur.io/a/jWvdCrA

as big as the main map :vince:

Sounds like made up bullshit tbh.

Unless "big as the main map" is just a generous way of saying an alternate version of the existing map with a different coat of paint. But even then, 98 new enemies and 16 NPC quests is absurd

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm so excited for where GG takes the combat for whatever Horizon 3 is, I hope they don't dumb it down at all from where it's currently at.

It’s probably the best combat ever for a Sony IP imo even though I absolutely adore what Tsushima has going on too. It’s kind of wild how complex and demanding Horizon can be for such a big wide appeal game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Weird Sandwich posted:

Sounds like made up bullshit tbh.

Unless "big as the main map" is just a generous way of saying an alternate version of the existing map with a different coat of paint. But even then, 98 new enemies and 16 NPC quests is absurd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Honestly Sony in general over the past 10 years had absolutely dominated action gameplay and combat.