Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Bruins coach just said Bergeron might not be back this series. I heard a rumor it's COVID, anyone else hear that?

They had him give a speech in the locker room before game 1, so probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Montgomery was specifically asked whether Bergeron's game 2 absence was illness-related and he said no

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1648719420783575042?s=20

Alright now we just need Schenn to come out for Liljegren and that looks like an ok lineup

That Morgan Reilly extension sure got ugly in a hurry

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Is there even a COVID protocol any more? Or is it treated like any other illness and you can just play through it if you're physically able to?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mind_Taker posted:

Is there even a COVID protocol any more? Or is it treated like any other illness and you can just play through it if you're physically able to?

I’ve seen absences attributed to “non-COVID illness” so I’m pretty sure they still have some protocols.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Cernak has already been ruled out of Game 2, Hedman is apparently a game time decision.

Maybe murdering all of Tampa's D is the Leafs' plan.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bergeron has been dealing with some kind of injury for a while, in addition to being sick with whatever is going around the team lately. He came back for the last game of the season against Montreal, potentially before he was fully recovered and it got worse. He's from Quebec and apparently wanted to play what could likely be his last NHL game in Montreal in front of friends/family who could make it, and of course the Bruins aren't going to say no to him because he's one of the greatest Bruins players of all time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"non-COVID illness" is also a great way to prevent the opposing shitheads from learning which body part is injured.

e: f;b

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

"non-COVID illness" is also a great way to prevent the opposing shitheads from learning which body part is injured.

e: f;b

You can just say "central body injury" for that.

grack posted:

Cernak has already been ruled out of Game 2, Hedman is apparently a game time decision.

Maybe murdering all of Tampa's D is the Leafs' plan.

It's a good plan but I hope winning games is also part of the strategy.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

NON-COVID illness is the same as flu like symptoms: hungover

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mind_Taker posted:

the US doesn't even believe covid exists anymore lol

also I learned that Toews missed a whole season due to long covid, and might retire because of it?

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Koopa Kid posted:

Alright now we just need Schenn to come out for Liljegren and that looks like an ok lineup

Swap out Holl for Lilly and this looks good

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

actionjackson posted:

also I learned that Toews missed a whole season due to long covid, and might retire because of it?

Maybe. Chicago has announced that they're not resigning Toews regardless of his playing status.

Brandon Sutter hasn't played since the entire Canucks team got COVID in the spring of 2021, and I don't even think he's skating yet.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Yeah he did but also he was an open questioner of covid in the early days at best didn't take it very seriously.

quote:

“Part of me just says being away from people and isolating ourselves isn’t really the answer.”

Toews expanded on his thoughts a few minutes later.

“Does anybody really know how and when people catch this thing?” he asked rhetorically. “The best you can do is get good rest, eat healthy, take care of your body, do the little things that lower your chances. What else can you do?

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackh...hell-mike-green

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah he did but also he was an open questioner of covid in the early days at best didn't take it very seriously.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackh...hell-mike-green

talk about loving around and finding out

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

actionjackson posted:

talk about loving around and finding out

Josh Archibald missed most of last season cause he refused to get the vaccine then got myocarditis from covid.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I love the resiliency of Toronto fans. Did they make it a full period before the boo birds came out?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Vegas fans leaving with three minutes left in a 3-1 game was hugely shameful.

Can't imagine leaving with a game that close and especially not a playoff game.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
team has gotta play better than single digit shots in the third if they want fans to stay :shrug:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

that 4th line will never score a goal but I bet every coach in the league is envious of it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

that 4th line will never score a goal but I bet every coach in the league is envious of it

That's the most Mike Sullivan 4th line

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ginette Reno posted:

Vegas fans leaving with three minutes left in a 3-1 game was hugely shameful.

Can't imagine leaving with a game that close and especially not a playoff game.

In my experience home teams give away more stuff at losses anyway, so leaving a loss is not only shameful but a great way to miss out on premo swag. And it's not like you're hacking the traffic or anything

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

not Jimmy Montgomery!!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

That's the most Mike Sullivan 4th line

Well, two thirds of it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

I love the resiliency of Toronto fans. Did they make it a full period before the boo birds came out?

Nope! They definitely booed going into the locker room after the first.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm excited to see how the Avs bounce back in game 2. My body is ready for playoff hockey wooooooo!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1648815723416891395?s=20
wow. more than i thought itd be

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Did they arrive at that number purely for the easy jokes

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Literally gets to ride Marner and Matthews into a huge payday in the offseason and he messed it up

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

Of course, and lets just get it out of the way.

"Bunting suspended for the remainder of the playoffs"

Arabian Jesus posted:

Literally gets to ride Marner and Matthews into a huge payday in the offseason and he messed it up

How do you know whoever replaces Dubas isn't going to see this as a positive?

Brian Burke loves guys like this.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
With how 2021 Kadri and Schiefele panned out it would make the DPS three for their last three in predicting playoff teams' dooms :tinfoil:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Good. He'll miss the entire sweep lmao

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Powershift posted:

Of course, and lets just get it out of the way.

"Bunting suspended for the remainder of the playoffs"

How do you know whoever replaces Dubas isn't going to see this as a positive?

Brian Burke loves guys like this.

Yeah if anything it makes him seem more valuable to half or more of the GMs in the league, not less

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

ThinkTank posted:

It annoys me sometimes how bad commentators are at making clear that teams employ certain structural formations on the ice. The diamond is a short form for the 1-2-1 pk set up generally with a centre high, the left side defender and a winger around the hash marks and the right D down low. This is to contrast it from the box or 2-2 with is two forwards high and two defenders low. There's also the very aggressive triangle or 1-1-2 with a forward up super high pressuring the D, then the other three penalty killers tight to the net in a triangle formation. All have their strengths and weaknesses and powerplays are focused primarily these days on getting those structures to collapse by pulling it too far to one side or the other.

Instead, as you say they just draw a square on the ice and say look at that! It makes a diamond! Which is entirely uninteresting and doesn't explain squat.

I always thought it was funny when the old NHL video games were deploying deep hockey strategy stuff in the coach settings that really didn't make any difference because the AI was so bad. It was like initiate the left wing lock? Uh sure, i guess thats what my AI teammates are doing.

I love when they do the above/behind the net cam during a power play. It helps people understand how they open up pass lanes during a power play and how the defenders work to shut them down. That's why i like sitting behind the net about 10 rows back if i go to games too. Fun stuff!

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 20, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Was not expecting 3 games at all

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

Legit think this is at least partly a genuine troll on the DOPS' part

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
has anyone in the league office ever said why they don’t ever drop the puck at the scheduled game time. why is it always 10-20 minutes late!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bard Maddox posted:

has anyone in the league office ever said why they don’t ever drop the puck at the scheduled game time. why is it always 10-20 minutes late!

Gotta respect the troops/cops/anthems/Imagine Dragons before the game.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
We've come a LONG LONG way from Def Leppard disrespecting the cup to Imagine Dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bard Maddox posted:

It's like going to see a movie in the theatre now; it's to show you more ads. Took my kids to see Mario last week and it was 35 minutes of ads and previews after the "show time" before the actual movie started.

Also, Mario movie owned.