Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Sedgr posted:

Happy 4/20 :420:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

I'll be testing a few strains today. Got a mixed order Jet Fuel, Sour Mango Diesel, and AK47. The AK47 is particularly good.

Hope everyone gets a chance to peace out. What's the weed situation like in Ukraine?

It is not the 20th of April for more (yet) :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Drone_Fragger posted:

Imagine being so loving brain poisoned that you look at an invading country doing honest to god genocide and go "well to further prevent the loss of life ukraine should just lie down and let the russians genocide them, peacefully" and then claim any self defence on the part of Ukraine is some kind of globalist nato plot to uh... Mmm... Hmm... Do an Imperialism???

"but HATO and США providing financial and military aid to Ukraine is the same as taking it over as their puppet!" - some useful idiot, maybe

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

zone posted:

"but HATO and США providing financial and military aid to Ukraine is the same as taking it over as their puppet!" - some useful idiot, maybe

The Soviet Union during WW2, famous American puppet.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Negostrike posted:

Getting back to pre-war status quo is already a big compromise for them, if they want Donbas so much.

Russia won't leave unless someone pops a cap in Pootn

I'm also going to add that Russian controlled state media lusts for the purging of all of Ukraine, Ukrainian culture and leveling of Kyiv. That doesn't sound like someone with a border dispute. Sounds more like a land grab of a country who wants to leave behind Russian influence to me and smalldickenergy putin is making a play. You know, they guy who views the collapse of USSR as the greatest tragedy of 20th century (lol ww2).

If they could, they want every country from USSR under Russia. Baltics would of been crushed if they did'nt make a blind rush to NATO.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
incomprehensible why ukraine just wont surrender to us, the military regularly sawing off heads of pows ISIS style when we're not kidnapping children and sending them thousands of miles away

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1648734980632084520

I like where they're going with this, but I think the concept can go further. The kamikaze drones can be loaded with smaller kamikaze drones, which are also carrying drones. Basically drones all the way down. We'd only need to supply Ukraine with one of those, and they'd be set for the rest of the war.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Philonius posted:

I like where they're going with this, but I think the concept can go further. The kamikaze drones can be loaded with smaller kamikaze drones, which are also carrying drones. Basically drones all the way down. We'd only need to supply Ukraine with one of those, and they'd be set for the rest of the war.

you can't fool me this was a boss in ace combat 7

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Negostrike posted:

There's no "anti-americanism" in this. He just said the truth. NATO is just making this poo poo worse. The only way to end this war quickly is to have a negotiation and both Ukraine and Russia are gonna have to compromise and yes, Ukraine and sorry liberals like you will have to swallow their tears and concede at least Crimea. Cruel reality, isn't it.

No I completely agree that NATO is making it worse by dragging it out.

NATO should intervene directly and end this already.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

No I completely agree that NATO is making it worse by dragging it out.

They already are. Who do you think has been sneaking turds into Putin's bed at night to make his inner circle think he is weak and enfeebled by rear end cancer?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

They already are. Who do you think has been sneaking turds into Putin's bed at night to make his inner circle think he is weak and enfeebled by rear end cancer?

Oh poo poo you're right but I thought we weren't supposed to talk about that :ohdear:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Philonius posted:

Yo dawg, I heard you like drones. So we put drones, inside drones in your drone!

Dammit can't find the xhibit emoji I thought we had.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Putin.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Negostrike posted:

Getting back to pre-war status quo is already a big compromise for them, if they want Donbas so much.

And it's one that they've repeatedly said they have no interest in making. Russia's current position is that surrendering the remainder of the annexed oblasts is the starting point for negotiation. Getting back to anything close to prewar status quo is going to take a certain amount of military persuasion.

I suspect the "best case" scenario at this point is a moderately successful Ukrainian offensive in the south followed by some territorial horse-trading once both sides are too exhausted to continue.

You could argue that trying to regain control of a few hundred km isn't worth the loss and devastation of additional fighting, but trading land for peace only works if you get a lasting peace out of it. This argument ultimately relies on the goodwill of Putin to not invade again, a position that historically has not worked out well for Ukraine.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

No that is actually a very bad idea unless you want to live in the Deathlands universe which tbh is pretty fuckin rad and I recommend them all but you probably wouldn't like living there much

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Deki posted:

A Chamberlain for the modern era.

It'll work this time!

I occasionally point out that Chamberlain had been on the Imperial Defense Committee for most of the 1930s and had been pushing for rearming just as fast as possible. Britain and France weren't ready in 1938, they were in 1939. The acceleration of tank and airplane construction up until the start of the war is honestly impressive, and the Chain Home air defense radar network was up and running when Britain declared war. Chamberlain was buying time, too bad he was spending Czechoslovakia to get it. The alternative was France being beaten faster and a Battle of Britain fought in 1938 or 39 with the country wide open to air attack.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

HonorableTB posted:

incomprehensible why ukraine just wont surrender to us, the military regularly sawing off heads of pows ISIS style when we're not kidnapping children and sending them thousands of miles away
A true hero of the Ukrainian people would be willing to stand up to NATO and send as many Ukrainian children as it takes to the concentration camps.

Checkmate, lib.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

the holy poopacy posted:

And it's one that they've repeatedly said they have no interest in making. Russia's current position is that surrendering the remainder of the annexed oblasts is the starting point for negotiation. Getting back to anything close to prewar status quo is going to take a certain amount of military persuasion.

I suspect the "best case" scenario at this point is a moderately successful Ukrainian offensive in the south followed by some territorial horse-trading once both sides are too exhausted to continue.

You could argue that trying to regain control of a few hundred km isn't worth the loss and devastation of additional fighting, but trading land for peace only works if you get a lasting peace out of it. This argument ultimately relies on the goodwill of Putin to not invade again, a position that historically has not worked out well for Ukraine.

None of this is meant to be a realistic proposal. It's just Brazil sucking up to Russia because they're dependent on Russian resources and political support, and the war puts them in an awkward position.

The war is far away and completely unimportant to Lula, except for how it affects Brazil. If they were at all serious about ending the war, they would want to convince Russia to change its mind, as in the end Russia is the only party that can decide when the war ends. Instead they go on about how good friends they are, and how to strengthen economic ties. Screaming about NATO won't have any negative repercussions for Brazil, and but Russia will be pleased and give them cheaper resources.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's not up to Russia, the failing war crimes imperialist country, to dictate terms of peace in the slightest. The only correct morally acceptable outcome is where Russia is completely desperate to get out while it can and has no say in what it gets to keep.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No, Russia can take their genocidal asses and just gently caress off and go home. Thats how it ends.

And not try it again.

Like mentioned in every third post in this thread if there was a ceasefire and things were frozen in place it would only be a matter of time before it was tried again and in other countries. Looks like the people of Ukraine don't want to be genocided, sorry, ethnically cleansed and/or live under Russian occupation and if you believe the votes in favor of annexation were conducted fairly you're a loving idiot at best. Seems like the Ukrainian people would rather not, all my adult life I've had to vote for the lesser of two evils and it's hard for me to see a world where Russia would fall into that category. Looks like a lot of Ukrainians see it the same way.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Set posted:

Russian ships have been sighted quite clearly looking for vulnerabilities in civilian infrastructure in the Baltic Sea, and near Britain and Norway. Power and internet cables are extremely vulnerable, and them being damaged can both literally and figuratively leave millions in a black-out, making them a high priority target in either an all-out war between Russia and the Western nations or as a way to terrorize and threaten the nations who rely on these connections staying intact.

This is a Yle article on Russian ship activity and information gathering up in the Nordics. The article itself does not contain any shocking imagery nor text, but clicking further on Yle's webpages may lead you to such material.

Author: Maria Bonnor
Release date: 19.04.23
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20027675

thanks for these posts

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

mllaneza posted:

I occasionally point out that Chamberlain had been on the Imperial Defense Committee for most of the 1930s and had been pushing for rearming just as fast as possible. Britain and France weren't ready in 1938, they were in 1939. The acceleration of tank and airplane construction up until the start of the war is honestly impressive, and the Chain Home air defense radar network was up and running when Britain declared war. Chamberlain was buying time, too bad he was spending Czechoslovakia to get it. The alternative was France being beaten faster and a Battle of Britain fought in 1938 or 39 with the country wide open to air attack.

I'm not sure if an earlier war would be better or worse for the allies - Germany was also still rearming at that time. After they were allowed to annex Czechoslovakia they seized all their tanks, and had more Czech tanks produced in the lead up to the war. About 15% of German tanks used against France were Czech-made - and they tended to be better than the majority Panzer I / IIs the Germans were using at that time. France had actually maintained a large army in the interwar years (they had more and arguably better tanks than Germany in 1940, just didn't use them well) - so the balance of forces would probably be even more in French favor if they clashed in 1938.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Storkrasch posted:

The Soviet Union during WW2, famous American puppet.

Hey now, when Lend-Lease was signed the line of Soviets and their western allies was that it was needlessly prolonging the war, that the Polish and French should lie down and stop resisting, the British should stand down and compromise, and the Americans should stay out of foreign wars. It wasn't until a few short months later that they magically became the only people who opposed fascism ever.

Ironically enough, neither the period where Russia was willing to fight Finland and Poland to the last Ukrainian and Kazakhstani, nor the period where they nearly did have to fight Germany to the last Ukrainian and Kazakhstani, were really motivated by communism vs capitalism. The first was just Stalin's stupid imperialism and the second was the consequences of Stalin wanting a bigger empire so bad that he trusted the Nazis.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Negostrike posted:

Russia won't leave unless someone pops a cap in Pootn

Don't threaten me with a good time

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Philonius posted:

Droneception... drones all the way down. :psylon:

naem
May 29, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/tUmgn96.mp4

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Philonius posted:

I think thats one of the most terrifying of those types of videos I have seen.

Have the Quadbike Terminators made it to the frontline yet?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Drop that fuckin phone and watch out for enemy fire or your amazing life won't last gdi

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcIhH1Vmz8I:nws: I don't think there are any dead bodies but there is some footage and destroyed equipment. Mostly maps.

still a hopium account, but sounds like while it's unlikely to immediately cause a breakthrough the counteroffensive is considered to have started along the southern line of contact.

I wonder how many of those glide bombs Russia has.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sedgr posted:

Happy 4/20 :420:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

I'll be testing a few strains today. Got a mixed order Jet Fuel, Sour Mango Diesel, and AK47. The AK47 is particularly good.

Hope everyone gets a chance to peace out. What's the weed situation like in Ukraine?

https://twitter.com/DarthPutinKGB/status/1648672848532127748?s=20

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
For the counteroffensive I predict an axis of advance towards Melitopol and then on to Mariupol, with the aim to sever the land bridge to Crimea

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

For the counteroffensive I predict an axis of advance towards Melitopol and then on to Mariupol, with the aim to sever the land bridge to Crimea

Pretty bold. No one will see it coming.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I wonder how long it would take for Putin to invade Kazakhstan if he ever manages to get his Ukrainian quagmire resolved. No way the loss of Baikonur last month is sitting well for an idiot who wants to bask in past glories.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

Pretty bold. No one will see it coming.

i'll take my medals now for brilliant armchair generaling

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

tiaz posted:

:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcIhH1Vmz8I:nws: I don't think there are any dead bodies but there is some footage and destroyed equipment. Mostly maps.

still a hopium account, but sounds like while it's unlikely to immediately cause a breakthrough the counteroffensive is considered to have started along the southern line of contact.

I wonder how many of those glide bombs Russia has.

Why do you call it a hopium account? I've found his videos pretty even handed pulling from both Ukrainian and Russian sources. He's obviously pro-Ukraine, but I find he tries to use Russian sources to verify Ukranian claimed gains so as not to overstate things.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Grammarchist posted:

I wonder how long it would take for Putin to invade Kazakhstan if he ever manages to get his Ukrainian quagmire resolved. No way the loss of Baikonur last month is sitting well for an idiot who wants to bask in past glories.

Going to be some real shabby western military donations leftover for whoever is the next Ukraine after the current emptying out of every dusty storeroom wraps up.

Like here you go, an engineless Mig-1 areoplane taken down from the rafters of a roadside tourist attraction, some of those mostly-scaffold tail Bell helicopters, some crates of Webley revolvers and two tommy guns sharing one ammo drum.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

confused posted:

Why do you call it a hopium account? I've found his videos pretty even handed pulling from both Ukrainian and Russian sources. He's obviously pro-Ukraine, but I find he tries to use Russian sources to verify Ukranian claimed gains so as not to overstate things.

That's my experience with him too. He does definitely have a pro-Ukraine bias but he has always called out when Ukraine has had battlefield losses as well

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Grammarchist posted:

I think consensus in space community is that aside from the legal formality of the confiscated assets, the relatively paltry disputed debt of a few tens of million dollars russia could no doubt find behind a couch in Putler's black sea palace if that's what it took to make nice with Kazakhstan and resume commercial operation as needed. There's still a scheduled 2024 Roscosmos launch on the books, and several long term joint initiatives are supposedly still continuing.

That said, yeah, Kazakhstan I think is quietly building ties with China and will look to enter their commercial orbit and it will be interesting to see whether China will choose to support Kazakstan in a future conflict. Best outcome possible of course is that before that happens, the rus federation and its empire ambitions are properly humbled by a terminal economic implosion.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

That's my experience with him too. He does definitely have a pro-Ukraine bias but he has always called out when Ukraine has had battlefield losses as well

The pro Ukraine bias is all I meant to convey. When things go poorly for Ukraine he identifies it but also offers a plausible out - but Russian failures are decisive and permanent.

I don't especially mind that - why advise your enemy - and I didn't mean to suggest he makes stuff up, but I wanted to be clear that it's a biased source (albeit in this case the most newsworthy thing is echoing an official).

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Negostrike posted:

There's no "anti-americanism" in this. He just said the truth. NATO is just making this poo poo worse. The only way to end this war quickly is to have a negotiation and both Ukraine and Russia are gonna have to compromise and yes, Ukraine and sorry liberals like you will have to swallow their tears and concede at least Crimea. Cruel reality, isn't it.

And this shows how you're completely oblivious about geopolitics. South America never had any leftist regime ever.

Hey, genuinely interested, how is NATO making this worse by allowing Ukraine to defend itself, and how is this any different to Lend-Lease in WW2? Should France, Russia, Poland etc have just let Germany in to genocide their populations without resistance? Would this have led to a better, more peaceful multi-polar world?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Philonius posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Captain Theron posted:

Hey, genuinely interested, how is NATO making this worse by allowing Ukraine to defend itself, and how is this any different to Lend-Lease in WW2? Should France, Russia, Poland etc have just let Germany in to genocide their populations without resistance? Would this have led to a better, more peaceful multi-polar world?

I think what confuses me more is him saying Ukraine has to concede Crimea to negotiate when Crimea was lost like 10 loving years ago and Ukraine had no intention of capability of military conquest in Crimea until very recently.

Putin could loving quit the war now walk away and Crimea would probably not fall back into ukrianian hands unless Russia erodes it's military so much that Crimea is undefendable due to manpower