Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s been a known sexual harasser for approximately as long as I’ve been alive and that’s been a shoulder shrug even though everyone knows. It seems like a bipartisan consensus that the supreme court justices are above the law and free from all consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So Clarence's mother gets to live in her house, for free, with free maintenance and improvements, all provided by Clarence's good billionaire buddy friend who CERTAINLY has no influence?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
No you see it's fine because Thomas was already going to be on the billionaire side always and forever due to deep friendship

Would you make friendship illegal

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's interesting to me that obvious gifts to an official's parents are bribes, but gifts to their kids are not.

It's a shame Thomas is childless, because then instead of giving his mom hundreds of thousands of dollars via a fake house sale, Harlan could have given his kid hundreds of thousands of dollars via a fake job instead and we'd all be expected to agree that it's fine.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Well obviously the kid would have only attended the best schools and thus be definitely qualified so why shouldn't they be allowed to have the job you can't punish a child for being the son of a government official

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

Well obviously the kid would have only attended the best schools and thus be definitely qualified so why shouldn't they be allowed to have the job you can't punish a child for being the son of a government official

Exactly!

And their parents would obviously be gifted intellectually as well, so we can't punish Thomas' mom for negotiating a great real estate deal!

If you found someone willing to give you a reverse mortgage deal like that you'd take it too!

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Feels like pretty good work by ProPublica to drip this stuff out slowly. They got some flack from other journalism outlets for their previous reporting not breaking much new ground (just tying a lot of previously-known stuff together) but it makes a lot more sense now to put that out to get people talking and defending him and THEN publish this. Makes me wonder if they have more to come.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Sub Par posted:

Feels like pretty good work by ProPublica to drip this stuff out slowly. They got some flack from other journalism outlets for their previous reporting not breaking much new ground (just tying a lot of previously-known stuff together) but it makes a lot more sense now to put that out to get people talking and defending him and THEN publish this. Makes me wonder if they have more to come.

Im sure there's more; he's probably been not reporting all sorts of things for two decades.

I'm waiting for them to find something fishy from someone, which, in an amazing coincidence, was right around the time he ruled in their favor.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

As someone from Illinois, I look back and I am surprised that the D party was willing to drop Blago that quickly.

A lot of times, it does seem like Ds are more willing to take that seriously.

Part of it was him being politically and personally insufferable, a sort of anti-Daley. That shouldn’t matter in these kinds of affairs but it does.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Meatball posted:

Im sure there's more; he's probably been not reporting all sorts of things for two decades.

I'm waiting for them to find something fishy from someone, which, in an amazing coincidence, was right around the time he ruled in their favor.

His options, while batshit even from the general standard of the court's right, are incredibly consistent; you'd be very hard pressed to find any cases where he didn't rule exactly as you'd think he would.

Which means the action would likely be in the grant or deny cert realm, where the there is no paper trail and we could only find out through a leak from a justice or clerk.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Staluigi posted:

This Clarence Thomas poo poo originally felt like a shoulder shrug "won't be talking about it in a week" thing but propublica just kept going until it turned into something that would at least have the decency to dog him for the rest of his life

Media endlessly hounding corrupt fucks like Thomas and the Texas judge right wingers shop their cases to would be more than welcome.

VitalSigns posted:

It's interesting to me that obvious gifts to an official's parents are bribes, but gifts to their kids are not.

It's a shame Thomas is childless, because then instead of giving his mom hundreds of thousands of dollars via a fake house sale, Harlan could have given his kid hundreds of thousands of dollars via a fake job instead and we'd all be expected to agree that it's fine.

Thomas does in fact have a son and it's not exactly a secret (though iirc his son tries to keep out of the public's attention)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It does suck that every day something new corrupt thing about Thomas comes out and not only will nothing happen to him but the Democrats won't even put up the appearance of doing something.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/clarence-thomas-financial-disclosure-forms-real-estate_n_643cde8ce4b03031958de79d

No harm no foul he just missed some line items on the form but will do that now. Please stop reporting on it thanks.

What a joke

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Whom amongst us hasn't committed a little bit of fraud for decades by mistake?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It does suck that every day something new corrupt thing about Thomas comes out and not only will nothing happen to him but the Democrats won't even put up the appearance of doing something.

The Democrats are holding hearings on judicial ethics based on this. The whole reason it's come to light is because the Democrats pushed the creation of the disclosure and ethics codes in question. They're also telling the Judicial Conference to refer him to DOJ.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 17, 2023

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

cr0y posted:

No harm no foul he just missed some line items on the form but will do that now. Please stop reporting on it thanks.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMKreis/status/1647947144505049095

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/FridaGhitis/status/1648275575516143618?s=20

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Woopsie

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Reminder that it's tax day and you better not gently caress up a single decimal point.

I took had no income until called on it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I watched two people plead to failure to file a tax return a few weeks ago

One was a former cheerleader who'd been part of some massive money laundering ring

the other was a retired schoolteacher who just forgot one year

they both had to plead to a criminal charge for time served and a fine

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I watched two people plead to failure to file a tax return a few weeks ago

One was a former cheerleader who'd been part of some massive money laundering ring

the other was a retired schoolteacher who just forgot one year

they both had to plead to a criminal charge for time served and a fine

That's crazy, if you don't owe money you still have to file a tax return in the US?

My family knows an older gentleman who, uh, shall we say has been a hard worker but isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Hadn't filed a return in decades, but still got deductions from source. A non-profit helped him do all the paperwork, and far from being punished, he received thousands -- maybe tens of thousands -- of money that got deducted but he didn't actually owe.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PT6A posted:

That's crazy, if you don't owe money you still have to file a tax return in the US?

My family knows an older gentleman who, uh, shall we say has been a hard worker but isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Hadn't filed a return in decades, but still got deductions from source. A non-profit helped him do all the paperwork, and far from being punished, he received thousands -- maybe tens of thousands -- of money that got deducted but he didn't actually owe.

You have to file if you get more than 4k in income.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You have to file if you get more than 4k in income.

Where did you get this number? Is this some sort of state law? That's not nearly how federal filing requirements and penalties normally work.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

Where did you get this number? Is this some sort of state law?

Might be, yeah, it's from memory and an old memory at that.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 19, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Where did you get this number? Is this some sort of state law? That's not nearly how federal filing requirements and penalties normally work.

Around more I think 6k or so and federal law, some states might have their own state filing requirements.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

For the record, the usual federal single taxpayer threshold is now like 12k-there's a really low nonzero one for people who are married filing separately but that's iirc because there are specific ways to hide income involved with married filing separately. The penalty for failing to pay taxes is normally...the taxes you owe plus a percentage. And IRS obviously doesn't spend incredibly scarce resources on people who don't owe taxes. The idea of a plea of any kind for time served is completely beyond the pale- unless you're doing poo poo like conducting active fraud, there's no way.

fake edit: yeah, $12,950. Here's the thresholds:
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/who-needs-to-file-a-tax-return

Here's the penalty discussion:
https://www.irs.gov/payments/failure-to-file-penalty

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I thought you only had to file, or at least only risked a stern talking to and a letter with some figures on it, if you were due a refund? I guess in that case you're still expected to file, but since the end result would be giving you money, they don't care if you don't?

edit - which of course begs the question as to why anybody with a standard return has to file at all, though there's no way Thomas is in this group

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

I thought you only had to file, or at least only risked a stern talking to and a letter with some figures on it, if you were due a refund? I guess in that case you're still expected to file, but since the end result would be giving you money, they don't care if you don't?

edit - which of course begs the question as to why anybody with a standard return has to file at all, though there's no way Thomas is in this group

There are edge cases, but the answer is primarily the IRS being hosed ten different ways by the tax prep industry. Steps are being taken under this administration to reverse the trend, both with a massive funding boost (that Congressional Rs are attempting to pull) and the implementation of an IRS-run free filing service.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Everyone who has a marketplace health insurance plan with subsidies has to file, regardless of income.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Deleted because I'm not funny

cr0y fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 19, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cr0y posted:

US taxed in a nutshell

Not really the thread for just a screenshot and minimal commentary, sorry. Come to dadchat to unwind and post easy, this is a suit and tie gavel and wig thread and we expect citations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

cr0y posted:

US taxed in a nutshell

No. Again, not how it works. People don't have to guess how much they owe, and it would be remarkably difficult to go to jail over anything less than sustained fraud.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

You're supposed to file regardless but I'm pretty sure it's only a potential criminal offense if you owe money and don't file or pay. Or if you're a Supreme Court Justice or Secretary of the Treadury I guess

If you just don't file and are owed a return then you just don't get the money until you file back returns like your family friend did (no idea how many years back you can go to claim refunds)

E:
https://www.varnumlaw.com/insights/top-five-reasons-why-not-filing-an-income-tax-return-is-a-bad-idea

quote:

If you are entitled to a refund, you are generally not penalized for filing late. However, you only have three years from the due date of the return to file the return and claim your refund. After that three-year period, any unclaimed refund is automatically turned over to the government. Further, if your late-filed return is subsequently audited resulting in an underpayment of tax, the late filing and late payment penalties will be applied.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 19, 2023

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What are the chances that a normal wage-earner owes tax rather than getting a refund of withholdings?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

PT6A posted:

What are the chances that a normal wage-earner owes tax rather than getting a refund of withholdings?

First google result says 11 million Americans (totaling $125 billion).

I was always told that whoever is doing the accounting at wherever you work is probably withholding more than they need to you, which is why you usually get a refund, especially if you don't take deductions on the front end.

edit: CNBC said 40% of us households owe no federal taxes.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Yeah, the dirt poor population for the most part. Have a few child credits, have a standard deduction of 25K and that household who took in 38K last year owes nothing.
But they still pay medicare, social security and other withholdings.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cimber posted:

Yeah, the dirt poor population for the most part. Have a few child credits, have a standard deduction of 25K and that household who took in 38K last year owes nothing.
But they still pay medicare, social security and other withholdings.

pay and owe aren't the same thing!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mooseontheloose posted:

pay and owe aren't the same thing!

No, I'm saying they still pay those other taxes, as well as have federal income tax deductions withheld throughout the year. But after they file their taxes they would get whatever the FIT withholding back as a check.

Which gets taxed as income the next year by the states.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

You can't be charged with a crime for not filing taxes if you don't owe the government money for the the very good reason of you not filing in that case did not harm the federal government, in fact if you were owed money and didn't file to collect it, the government thanks you for the 0% interest loan you have given them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Mooseontheloose posted:

First google result says 11 million Americans (totaling $125 billion).

I was always told that whoever is doing the accounting at wherever you work is probably withholding more than they need to you, which is why you usually get a refund, especially if you don't take deductions on the front end.

edit: CNBC said 40% of us households owe no federal taxes.

You tell your employer your tax situation on your W4 and your employer follows the IRS rules on what to deduct, which tend to over-deduct because it’s easier for the IRS to send you a check than to try and collect. Sally in accounting isn’t sitting there and coming up with new ways to give more of your pay to the IRS.