Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

RME posted:

I’m guessing you probably have to do titan/shiva stuff in p1 and p2 is probably just basic and apoc 1

We did that recently for a new static member who didn't have the mount (and the rest of us knew the fight). First phase was over before the Titan stuff started and the second part died just as the water stacks at the end of Basic Relativity went off, so you probably won't need to learn more than that with good gear.

E8S is also doable without Light Rampant now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Cabbit posted:

Cool, got one that turns off that hazy filter in Tower? I looked around and couldn't figure it out.

EasyEyes has a recent VFX tab you could use to find and blacklist whatever it is, or VFXEditor if that's not working.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

None of which affects anyone but the people doing the raids and getting the raid gear so why would anyone not doing them want to remove it?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why, though? Not trying to dogpile, but I want to know why you personally think this specific point.

:shrug: I wasn't trying to start a heated argument or anything. I'm not asking for the game to be completely remade or anything like that. Thanks to all of the crafted gear and the way it feels like there are more max level crafters than ever, the casual player experience is best it has ever been.

I'm guess it is more of me thinking out loud, to a degree. I've been playing this game for almost a decade (and goddamn, I've been playing MMOs in general for well over two decades) at this point and I care about the numbers on my gear less than ever.

I've been reflecting a bit lately on my history with MMOs. Gear and bigger numbers... they just don't do it for me. In fact, I often feel like they get in the way more than they help me. When a new patches come out, I'll play through the content until I hit an ilvl block, then go buy gear to get my numbers high enough before continuing on. I'm never one to think about what that actual gear is or what the stats on it are. All I care about is hitting that ilvl threshold to do the content.

And so this all makes me think about gear in general. We have glamours, so majority of people are not running around in the actual appearance of the gear they're wearing. I feel like, at this point, we could completely separate the gear appearance and the player stats and nothing would really change.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Again, it's perfectly reasonable to have no interest in incremental power progression as a reward structure, but it's a provably popular carrot, especially in RPGs as a genre. There's certainly games out there that are designed around a very low ceiling of statistical progression - Guild Wars 1 and 2 come to mind most immediately - but they're more the exception than the rule.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Vitamean posted:

I think keeping savage gear dyable is cool because, eventually, you'll be able to run it unsynced if you wanna nab it. I don't really dye them, though. The one set I want dyable, the prototype alexandrian gear, you can't even get with a dyable variant because the savage gear has a bunch of doodads on it that I hate.

Gobbieflock craftymake buttblades for uplander strongsit!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I mean we are basically already there with glams...

For me gear is just the stepping stone towards a goal, not the goal itself. I've never cared about being fully kitted out in BiS beyond being as geared as I can for raiding.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Genovera posted:

It could take quite a while-- if I have to watch a guide and do a party finder with random people I'm realistically not going to do it. I just checked and it seems that I'd still need to do that for most of Eden. I wouldn't mind if I could solo it or bring a couple friends, but two expansions minimum is kind of a long time to wait!

It is frustrating that some sets have no dyable variant though. I'd definitely want dyable versions for those prioritized, or some kind of visor-like toggle for the extra bits. I've noticed some low level gear that is like that too.

Hey are you actually interested in doing some Eden unsynced for glam or just speaking for sake of discussion? Cuz I'd love to pick up the Eden aiming chest piece, dyable.

Other trivial question: long-haulers, have you seen gil inflation in the game markets over the years? Was like 5m gil a limitless fortune back when?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SuperKlaus posted:

Hey are you actually interested in doing some Eden unsynced for glam or just speaking for sake of discussion? Cuz I'd love to pick up the Eden aiming chest piece, dyable.

Other trivial question: long-haulers, have you seen gil inflation in the game markets over the years? Was like 5m gil a limitless fortune back when?

I've played since 2.3 or so, so not quite ground floor. I remember it was tough for my first FC to scrounge up the 2 mil or so to buy our small house, but there were always far richer people sniping up the mansions and mediums. There were a few well known crafters on the server that owned the marketboards.

In the end though poo poo's always been the same price. If anything with the huge influx of people in Endwalker and how much easier it is to craft, stuff's cheaper than ever.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 19, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vermain posted:

Again, it's perfectly reasonable to have no interest in incremental power progression as a reward structure, but it's a provably popular carrot, especially in RPGs as a genre

And one of the cool things about FFXIV is that if you aren't interested in endgame gearing, you don't really have to engage with it. The gear dropped from a patch dungeon is good enough to get you into the next patch's dungeon, and once the next expack drops you can buy the last capped tome gear with poetics to carry you through the MSQ. It's fine to not care about it because you don't have to.

I think overall XIV's gearing is a comfy balance between GW-style gear not mattering at all and, uh, whatever it is that WoW has going on.

Theris fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 19, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Theris posted:

And one of the cool things about FFXIV is that if you aren't interested in endgame gearing, you don't really have to engage with it. The gear dropped from a patch dungeon is good enough to get you into the next patch's dungeon, and once the next expack drops you can buy the last capped tome gear with poetics to carry you through the MSQ. It's fine to not care about it because you don't have to.

I think overall XIV's gearing is a comfy balance between GW-style gear not mattering at all and, uh, whatever it is that WoW has going on.

Yup, that's my path to MSQ every time more comes in a patch. I've never had to touch savage but I still feel like I'm gearing up.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I've only been playing since 2020, and I haven't really noticed any effects of this in game particularly, but looking at it now I guess gil has inflated a lot in RMT terms.

When I started it was generally approximately 1 dollar to 1 million gil, checking now it's more like 1 dollar to 2 million gil

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

SuperKlaus posted:

Actually the one I had in mind was the asphodelos healing chest-- I like the shape but not in white. I was looking at Eden to get an idea for how hard it might be to unsync Pandaemonium after the next expansion. The abyssos gear is also pretty unique and, funny enough that's a healer set where I would prefer white!

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

SuperKlaus posted:

Honestly, I've seen the opposite? It might be more a supply and demand thing though. I feel like stat potions/tinctures have gotten cheaper compared to how much they costed back in ARR. Sources of crafting/gathering materia are also way more plentiful nowadays so their relative price has also gone down I feel. Long gone are the days where people would do spiritbond parties in Urth's Fount for gil.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Genovera posted:

Actually the one I had in mind was the asphodelos healing chest-- I like the shape but not in white. I was looking at Eden to get an idea for how hard it might be to unsync Pandaemonium after the next expansion.
Comparing to E4S: Killing during phase 1 of E4S puts it at a kill time of let's say 3:40. P4S has a door boss so if we put each phase at about 1:50 you would skip Pinax in phase 1 and skip Act II in phase 2, which are the hard mechanics in each phase. That would make it an incredibly easy farm in 7.0 and on

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Antivehicular posted:

What do people RP in FFXIV, anyway, in terms of character? I know "my character is the for-real Warrior of Light" is taboo/rude, but are people mostly RPing adventurers, or just random people in the setting with jobs and stuff?
It's odd how I never considered that. I've dabbled with "RP'ing" in other games over the years, but these occasions carried with it without fail the same air of self-awareness. Each character I made, an empty avatar.

Diaspora from an even older community, two goons got me into FFXIV early in the HW patch cycle, and I made a joke character with a joke name, but Tiny Baltimore felt like her own character in the story and the world. I don't know whether it was the flexibility of a game made in 2014, expressive emotes, or storytelling bringing my character into the story.

Minding spoilers for guildmates, I posted earnestly like an emotional reacts video, and I guess that's how Tiny carries herself, with a bit of snark from her adventures. Maybe I RP her? To be honest, I try to emulate the character as the game depicts the WoL to be less judgmental, attempt empathy with other people, and see each interaction with a stranger as a gift. I'd do my best to express that in an RP establishment.

Lazer Viking
Jul 11, 2008

GBO
I got lightly flamed a few pages ago for saying i dont really care about the story to this game. Its a good story, I liked the MSQ but its secondary to me. Because Im here for gear. I love doing the fights, learning the fights and not only beating them but beating them faster and faster. It feels good. TTK on a boss is the only number in this game I want to see go down. If they took out gear stats and made them all glam, Im unsubbing forever. My glam is real money bought cause I wanted to look like a cute goth cat girl in a dress but have the stats of a god.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Tamba posted:

We did that recently for a new static member who didn't have the mount (and the rest of us knew the fight). First phase was over before the Titan stuff started and the second part died just as the water stacks at the end of Basic Relativity went off, so you probably won't need to learn more than that with good gear.

E8S is also doable without Light Rampant now.

drat that poo poo vaporizes now

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

TheWorldsaStage posted:

A while back I asked about a modder who had figured out how to spawn entities and use any room as a backdrop in gpose, but some drama happened and it never got released.

Did anyone else ever figure that stuff out or is it like Alexandria burning

I am assuming you are talking about Brio, it is out and it can spawn additional gpose actors, among other things, however the room thing isn't out. Apparently a medical issue put it on hold.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Mordiceius posted:

:shrug: I wasn't trying to start a heated argument or anything. I'm not asking for the game to be completely remade or anything like that. Thanks to all of the crafted gear and the way it feels like there are more max level crafters than ever, the casual player experience is best it has ever been.

I'm guess it is more of me thinking out loud, to a degree. I've been playing this game for almost a decade (and goddamn, I've been playing MMOs in general for well over two decades) at this point and I care about the numbers on my gear less than ever.

I've been reflecting a bit lately on my history with MMOs. Gear and bigger numbers... they just don't do it for me. In fact, I often feel like they get in the way more than they help me. When a new patches come out, I'll play through the content until I hit an ilvl block, then go buy gear to get my numbers high enough before continuing on. I'm never one to think about what that actual gear is or what the stats on it are. All I care about is hitting that ilvl threshold to do the content.

And so this all makes me think about gear in general. We have glamours, so majority of people are not running around in the actual appearance of the gear they're wearing. I feel like, at this point, we could completely separate the gear appearance and the player stats and nothing would really change.

The treadmill isn't exactly interesting, but it is a fairly important part of keeping the other parts of the game going. Players are incentivized to sign up for roulettes as a result of the rewards offered, which is what keeps some roulettes and normal raids doable without long queue times or trying to get a party finder group filled.

The actual gear treadmill like I said isn't interesting. It's completely predictable. If you run savages, you might get lucky with a drop and complete your upgrades early, but apart from that there's a defined amount of time it takes to fully gear up. But if anything I like that about the system? It's not surprising, it's not a grind to try to get near best-in-slot, and if you don't want to participate there's no actual need to do so.

You can imagine a version of XIV without the gear treadmill, but without it there isn't that sense of doing something to ease your progression, and there is less incentive for the roulettes that need filling. Something needs to replace the roulette incentive if you don't have tomestones for gear, and glams are probably not enough.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The only raids I've ever done are the required Crystal Tower ones. I have no interest in doing any of the rest. Some of the gear looks neat, but not enough to raid.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

The only raids I've ever done are the required Crystal Tower ones. I have no interest in doing any of the rest. Some of the gear looks neat, but not enough to raid.

Alliance "Raids" (like CT) are more like dungeons but with a lot of people there, just for fun. And they have their own stories, some of which work great as a complement to the MSQ.

Then the 8-man stuff is also "raiding", in the sense that it has more complex mechanics than mandatory content, but the normal runs aren't too rough and also have neat msq-relevant stuff (Omega, Panda, etc). Plus neat looking gear in both.

Actual tryhard raiding is current patch (extreme) or (savage) content, which is just "the fight you did for msq or w/e, but now she really kicks your rear end".

Last one is not like the other two at all, you gotta really like those fights

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 20, 2023

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
barb was a great ex.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kheldarn posted:

All of the raids are worth doing, if only for the story. They're not difficult. No more difficult than the average dungeon - and sometimes easier. In 24mans, at least, there is very little personal responsibility.

parasyte posted:

You can imagine a version of XIV without the gear treadmill, but without it there isn't that sense of doing something to ease your progression, and there is less incentive for the roulettes that need filling. Something needs to replace the roulette incentive if you don't have tomestones for gear, and glams are probably not enough.

Oh absolutely. I never do roulettes for that very reason. When running dungeons, I only run very specific dungeons (aka the ones I need Triple Triad cards from).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

If you do end up getting the entire game, you will need to do the other AR to unlock areas and future content required. Also, it's just more fun stuff to run if you want to run for side quests and the MSQ will call back to NPC from them in some scenes. It would p weird to ignore it since there's no real downside to unlocking them as a player.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, the regular and alliance raids are all "normal" content meant to be completed pretty easily by a bunch of randos thrown together by the duty finder. there's good story and content behind them so don't let the term "raid" and all its baggage put you off them

intro to hard content is going to be stuff like (current, synched) extreme trials or early savage raids in the tier. there's also the rotating unreal trial that does't require any investment in gear because it has a low and narrow ilv requirement/synch window

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kheldarn posted:

Every bit of normal difficulty """optional""" content has huge amounts of story in it and you are making a mistake

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe, but I have never found stuff like that enjoyable. The 8 person trials are bad enough to me that I get a little stressed every time one comes up in the MSQ.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I agree that the normal-difficulty raids are not particularly hard and have a lot of good story, but if they stress you out, don't worry about it. There's plenty to do in this game, so feel free to pick and choose.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kheldarn posted:

Part of me is like "fair, you're entitled to enjoying this video game the way you desire, I have no reason to try to change your mind" and another part is jumping up and down and screeching.

Crystal Tower is honestly a bad set to compare the other raids to, because it's almost completely the worst in terms of story and mechanics. It sets up a payoff later, but in the moment there's not a lot of emotion invested in things. Ivalice is almost universally accepted to have a worse story, and, more on a personal side, I feel like the Mhach raids have uninteresting mechanics and too many of them overall.

I am curious what you're getting out of the rest of the game that wouldn't be gotten from the raid series, though. If you like numbers, you get to see a lot of numbers. If you like spectacle and flashy boss fights, there's a lot of that, too (Alexander has a transforming giant robot fight). If you like complex mechanics that you need to learn, those are present in nearly all of them. If you like story, they all have fairly self-contained storylines that flesh out the world and give you more people to care about. Gear, as you've said, can look fairly nice, but you never need it for numbers unless you're right on the bleeding edge of current content.

e: Stress over multiplayer content is valid, though it's been an age since I got any flak for doing badly in groups, XIV has one of the best communities I've ever seen in that regard.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Now, it must be said that the Stormblood raids will test every inch of your patience and temper with it's plot.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

yeah but cool robot sniper

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
It's the official go-to example people can use when they say that Matsuno's writing sucks.

It's just...just so awful. Only cutscenes I lost patience with and started skipping in this game.

That being said, the raids themselves are fantastic and the bosses are over the top hammy in the best ways. The story behind them is just so terrible though. But as standalone raids? Lots of fun.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I've mostly forgotten the Ivalice raid story, but man do I like those raids. Orbonne in particular is decently challenging and the small amount of voice acting is stellar.

They can be intimidating and it's easy to die a lot, but with 24 people there's lots of resses to be had. Normal raids can be a bit more challenging, but it's usually like one off mechanics. I've only really seen people get salty with like bad tanks or whatever and it's usually just the salty person being toxic for no reason. If you're concerned about difficulty just do them as a DPS. Hell, the queues are also pretty short even for DPS jobs.

Edit: Actually when I was a newb I tried doing chains in the cerberus fight and got the whole raid wiped cause I couldn't figure out that it was an interaction thing and didn't know at the time that you could press x to hide player nameplates, but I also learned that day!

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 20, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the ivalice raid quest writing might be bad or frustrating, but the rest of the writing is imo pretty fun. like we still haven't had anything as fun as SEVEN SHADOWS CAST, SEVEN FATES FORETOLD, BUT AT THE END OF THE BROKEN PATH LIES DEATH, AND DEATH ALONE since, I'd say, and none of the other alliance raids tell an actual story in-duty the way that the ivalice ones do, I think. like, everything about yiazmat is way more interesting and narratively compelling than any final raid boss in CT or Mhach or Nier or Myths of the Realm.

and while it was a totally out of left field move, making the final emotional beat of the raids Ramza and Delita finally being able to achieve some kind of reconciliation, in the afterlife of a totally different game was pretty cool to me and probably like five or six other people at least

Valentin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 20, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Maybe, but I have never found stuff like that enjoyable. The 8 person trials are bad enough to me that I get a little stressed every time one comes up in the MSQ.

The other thing you can do - run stuff with friends/goons. You'll have a better time and no one will care. in fact, people will willingly drag you across the raid finish lines so they can get those sweet sweet second chance points.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ivalice story inside the raids? loving amazing. Outside the raids? loving lmao

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kheldarn posted:

Come do casual bullshit like this with goons, literally no one will care if you're bad or mostly afk even, there's no pressure at all

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Valentin posted:

I think. like, everything about yiazmat is way more interesting and narratively compelling than any final raid boss in CT or Mhach or Nier or Myths of the Realm.

THE EMPIRE
IS A CANCER
AND I AM THE BARBERS BLADE
:black101:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Now, it must be said that the Stormblood raids will test every inch of your patience and temper with it's plot.

Please take back what you have said about my best friend Omega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it's not that the stb raid's plot is bad, just that it only really exists and is packed into the last tier or so and the rest is pretty plodding filler with some nice character moments sprinkled throughout iirc. fun, but not really gripping till late in

<e> speaking of the normal raid series' plot. as others have said the alliance raid's is the best argument for slamming the skip cutscene button in the hundreds of hours of quests in the game

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 20, 2023