Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

3 posted:

That’s incredibly rude to Generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
gently caress all of you, I'm right.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

gently caress all of you, I'm right.

Generations would have been better if Picard died and came back as an android and just machine-punched Soran to death.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

I literally just did an effort post about how Generations is thematically resonant and well-written !

And I just said the individual scenes were really well written, it's the plot that's incoherent garbage.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Kirk's arc is frustrating because it basically goes against the things he clearly learned in the 2 Meyer films: That he can't cheat death forever, and that the world moves on, and if he can't move with it, he needs to step back.

"If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it. Now go chop that wood, Kirk-dawg!"

- Chancellor Gorkon, Star Trek VI

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Generations would have been better if Picard died and came back as an android and just machine-punched Soran to death.

"Time is the fire in which we--"
*grabbed by wrinkly muscular arms, spinning piledriver*
"NO PLEASE!"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I wish Picard had died under that bridge and Kirk buried him under some rocks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

"Time is the fire in which we--"
*grabbed by wrinkly muscular arms, spinning piledriver*
"NO PLEASE!"

The end of Star Trek: Generations if Brannon Braga and Ron Moore had any balls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCpBl0ztuOk&t=96s

That is Malcolm McDowell, by the way

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

But honestly watch 6 and 7 back to back and tell me Kirk's arc isn't great. It really is

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Undiscovered Country is the perfect send off for Kirk, and there was no reason to drag him back unless you had some kind of cool Star Trek thing for him to do. Instead of asking an elderly dude to fist fight a guy. Though I think they ran out of budget for that and opted to put it into the crash instead, which is incredibly stupid. Also that they couldn't even use a Vor'cha model or something that'd actually evenly match the Enterprise instead of a bird of prey.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

But honestly watch 6 and 7 back to back and tell me Kirk's arc isn't great. It really is

Kirk's arc from 6 to 7 is great up to the point where he gets spaced saving the Enterprise-B. It's everything that comes after it that kind of ruins what would have been a great ending for the man.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Generations was the most fun Star Trek movie and bringing together Picard and Kirk was so cool, and didn't feel super nostalgia baity like PIC does

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I wish Picard had died under that bridge and Kirk buried him under some rocks.

Honestly if they made Generations today they would have kept Kirk alive and spun him off to his own show learning how to be a captain out of his time.

Actually that might have been great, Shatner owns

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

Generations was the most fun Star Trek movie and bringing together Picard and Kirk was so cool, and didn't feel super nostalgia baity like PIC does

Double dumbass on you.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I wish Kirk wasn’t in Generations at all and Picard took Guinan back to punch Soran instead and then there were two Guinans.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I was a kid when I saw generations for the first time with my family and didn't really know anything about star trek. At the end of the movie, Picard and Riker are on the ruined bridge and Riker says "You know, I always thought I'd get a shot at this chair." I said "He could just sit in it right now, nobody's around." It got a big laugh from my parents.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I wish Data had died in Generations, in fact I wish Data died in every movie, can’t kill that guy and bring him back enough imo.

Lister posted:

I was a kid when I saw generations for the first time with my family and didn't really know anything about star trek. At the end of the movie, Picard and Riker are on the ruined bridge and Riker says "You know, I always thought I'd get a shot at this chair." I said "He could just sit in it right now, nobody's around." It got a big laugh from my parents.

lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Guinan definitely would have brought that big-rear end rifle back in time with her and vaporized Soran instantly

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This thread is going to have 700+ posts between now and when I wake up.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

This thread is going to have 700+ posts between now and when I wake up.

Im gonna spoil it for you. The finale doesnt redeem the rest of the season or the series. I havent watched it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Stay up and watch the shitshow with us, you can livepost from the front lines of mediocrity

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Everything has been leading to this moment.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Well, trip report: There's some dumb stuff, some super dumb stuff, and a few really quite good moments. I think I'll rewatch it when I can pause and scan.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

At this point I just hope the space battles actually make sense and are not just explosions upon explosions and shaky cam mounted on a shaky cam intercut with dragged-out scenes of Jack undeciding stuff...maybe three or four times.

C'mon, this hour is all Matalas ever wanted. Let's see what he's got.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Plotac 75 posted:

Well, trip report: There's some dumb stuff, some super dumb stuff, and a few really quite good moments.

So basically a standard TNG movie!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Alan_Shore posted:

I've never trusted 7 and I never will. I could never forgive it for eating 9.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having also just watched it recently, I thought Generations for the most part was great! I really enjoyed its basic premise and story, and Malcolm Mcdowell brought a great character hanging on the edge of sanity who still felt like he belonged in Star Trek. I wish we'd seen more of him, what he wanted from the Nexus and so on. Particularly I felt like the way they dealt with Kirk was a little lame, but the initial setup at the beginning of the film was a great cold open even if they couldn't get the actors they wanted.

Agreed on the score, the visual effects as well. It seemed like a project that was very limited in scope and budget and they spent it in very precise places they knew would stick in folks' minds. Picard blowing up those god drat Klingons. The saucer crash that follows, and all the little people standing on it at the end. Kirk discovering, once again, that retirement is really boring. And little character building moments like Data slowly losing his gourd and then finding it again over the course of the film.

I really liked it, though it was clearly both a strained and restrained production. As a film it was awesome still. Picard got rocks dropped on him by a laser bazooka and they implied he got cut in half and that's metal.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

I've never trusted 7 and I never will. I could never forgive it for eating 9.

You Klingon bastards, you killed my sum!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

nine-gear crow posted:

The end of Star Trek: Generations if Brannon Braga and Ron Moore had any balls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCpBl0ztuOk&t=96s

That is Malcolm McDowell, by the way

All this did was remind me that there's a scene in Nemesis where Picard and Data fly around the bad guy ship in a tiny fighter and it made me sad.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I wish that instead of Robert and darling little René dying horribly in a fire it had been Data. Patrick Stewart could have still done a big crying scene.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I liked how Soran's gun was mounted on his wrist and did a little pivot thing.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

I liked how Soran's gun was mounted on his wrist and did a little pivot thing.

PICAAAAAARD

GET AWAY FROM THAT LAUNCHER

*tiny gun servo noises*

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eimi posted:

Undiscovered Country is the perfect send off for Kirk, and there was no reason to drag him back unless you had some kind of cool Star Trek thing for him to do. Instead of asking an elderly dude to fist fight a guy. Though I think they ran out of budget for that and opted to put it into the crash instead, which is incredibly stupid. Also that they couldn't even use a Vor'cha model or something that'd actually evenly match the Enterprise instead of a bird of prey.

ILM took a look at the script and John Knoll told Berman & Co., "You can have a kick-rear end space battle, or you can have the saucer crash you wanted two years ago. Pick one, you can't have both."

This is why Generations has like five actual VFX shots of the battle, and recycled the Bird of Prey explosion from The Undiscovered Country.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Timby posted:

ILM took a look at the script and John Knoll told Berman & Co., "You can have a kick-rear end space battle, or you can have the saucer crash you wanted two years ago. Pick one, you can't have both."

This is why Generations has like five actual VFX shots of the battle, and recycled the Bird of Prey explosion from The Undiscovered Country.

Glad I remembered correctly. That was absolutely the wrong call. Should've gone for the battle.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
No way, the crash rules and is one of the most memorable parts of the movie. It’s great physical miniature work.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No way, the crash rules and is one of the most memorable parts of the movie. It’s great physical miniature work.

But imagine that miniature work being done for a space battle instead. This also means they don't have to reuse the effect from the last film.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Eimi posted:

But imagine that miniature work being done for a space battle instead. This also means they don't have to reuse the effect from the last film.

It does feel like they got ahead of themselves a bit and became so excited about blowing up the D and having it crash that they didn't really put a lot of thought into why it was blowing up and crashing in the first place.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Jesus loving Christ, can I seriously not watch Star Trek movies on on Amazon Prime even though I have a Paramount Plus subscription? Streaming media balkanization is the dumbest loving thing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I've been binging Lower Decks and holy poo poo is this show amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Jesus loving Christ, can I seriously not watch Star Trek movies on on Amazon Prime even though I have a Paramount Plus subscription? Streaming media balkanization is the dumbest loving thing.

They’re all on HBO Max right now because Paramount wanted some extra licensing dough