Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Experto it is, thanks for the Diablo tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Catholicvania was really good and the sequel looks even better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
About drat time they made a sequel to necrodancer

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is the list I wrote down when I should have been paying attention to a meeting:

Mineko’s Night Market - Stardew Valley with WAY more cats- September 26
My Time at Sandrock - sequel to My Time At Portia - Summer 2023
Plate Up - multiplayer rogue-like management sim - October 2023
Quilts and Cats of Calico - the board game Calico, with more cats and online play! - Fall 2023
Rift of the Necrodancer - a new entry in the Crypt of the Necrodancer universe - 2023

DLC for previous Indie games:
A Little to the Left: Cupboards and Drawers - June 2023
Shovel Knight Puzzler’s Pack - “this spring”
Cult of the Lamb: Relics of the Old Faith - April 24
Animal Well - Dunkey’s first published game - Early 2024
Crime O’Clock - a timeline puzzler that’s giving me a little Where’s Waldo vibe - June 30

Teslagrad 2 / Teslagrad Remastered - physics-based puzzle-solvers - later today
Shadows Over Loathing - monsters and mobsters in the West of Loathing Universe! - digital version later today, physical version in Fall 2023
Blasphemous 2 - sidescrolling Metroidvania - summer 2023
Oxenfree 2: Lost Signals - sequel to the conversation-centric mystery on a PNW island Oxenfree - July 12, 2023

Sneak peeks:
Paper Trail - August 2023
Little Kitty, Big City - 2024
Chants of Sennaar - September 5, 2023
Brotato - 2023
Escape Academy: Complete Edition - Fall 2023
Five Nights at Freddy’s: Security Breach - later today
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk - which looks like a spiritual sequel to Jet Set Radio - August 18, 2023

Thanks!

I'll likely get Necrodancer cause I love those games and I want them to continue making them.
Animal Well looks interesting but it gives me serious Rain World vibes and I wanted to really like that game but I just never understood it nor did I understand what I was supposed to be doing in it, so I think I'm skipping it too.
And Oxenfree II and Blasphemous II make me want to play the first ones which were games I've been eyeing for years. So maybe I will! Everything else passes me by.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Why do people keep thinking Silksong will show up in one of the indie directs? Its a big enough property now it'll be a headline of its own in a mainline direct.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Ohtsam posted:

Why do people keep thinking Silksong will show up in one of the indie directs? Its a big enough property now it'll be a headline of its own in a mainline direct.

Also the first one came to pc before anything else so why assume Nintendo is going to get the scoop

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Nintendo should make a sequel to that clockwork strategy game with abe lincoln but like, hire some former xcom guys/rabbids devs to make it good

Would love a code name steam 2. Change the art style and add in the speed up function at launch and it would be far better received. And with the switch's power over the 3ds, it could be something special.

Alternatively, make a Code Name Ink. Turn it into a Splatoon tactical shooter using the ink-for-mobility mechanic.

xedo fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 19, 2023

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I saw the Mario movie and it was alright

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The vibe I get from that "Little Kitty, Big City" game at the end of the direct was kind of like Stray with a cartoon art style? Well, I liked Stray a lot so I'm mildly interested.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

xedo posted:

Would love a code name steam 2. Change the art style and add in the speed up function at launch and it would be far better received. And with the switch's power over the 3ds, it could be something special.

Alternatively, make a Code Name Ink. Turn it into a Splatoon tactical shooter using the ink-for-mobility mechanic.

Skin it with Mario instead, maybe add something weird like Rabbids?

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Skin it with Mario instead, maybe add something weird like Rabbids?

Sounds baffling. Who would want that!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I am Pro Rabbid now. I have changed my mind on those little guys, again. Adorable bastards.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Silver Falcon posted:

The vibe I get from that "Little Kitty, Big City" game at the end of the direct was kind of like Stray with a cartoon art style? Well, I liked Stray a lot so I'm mildly interested.

Honestly it gives off Goose Game vibes more to me, but that's the same trailer they released years ago and it gives no further information for how it plays

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Lol at Advance Wars remake having performance issues even being delayed a year. Yeah it’s not a huge deal but I’m still not keen on remakes of 20 year old games performing worse in ways.
I mean, Nintendo wasn’t going to pay them to work on the game another year (the first delay was likely a few months to clean it up some).

It’s a turn-based game, so not a huge loss. The actual crime is replacing the Super Power theme with…the CO’s theme but amped up a bit

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SeANMcBAY posted:

Lol at Advance Wars remake having performance issues even being delayed a year. Yeah it’s not a huge deal but I’m still not keen on remakes of 20 year old games performing worse in ways.

You realize that it doesn't matter how old the original game is, right, it's not a remaster.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I saw the Mario movie and it was alright

Huge endorsement

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

See a doctor, maybe try medication.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is the poo poo stain from the Loathing series no longer with the company?
I'd love to get the new game but I won't give him any money.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Inzombiac posted:

I mean he runs/wrote it I think, since it's Jick

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Inzombiac posted:

I'd appreciate some more info on this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For as a much of a masterpiece the first 75% of Prime is, the very late areas and run to get all of the artifacts at the end is one of the most tedious things I have ever seen in a game. I’m actually surprised I forgot about this part entirely. It’s loving painful.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

But that's actually the best part?

Do you not have the heart of an adventurer?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Inzombiac posted:

He's still there but the guy is not the same guy he was 15+ years ago when the things happened, if that helps at all? One of the highlights of their Video Game Hot Dog podcast was hearing him become more of a warm, not-so-goony dude over the run.

he is, afaik, a really good dad and a good person.

not defending his past, of course.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

It was just kind of tedious running through the whole map yet again, but I was mostly fine with it until I went to clear out the Chozo Ruins, which just seems spitefully designed to be as much of a slog as possible.the amount of back tracking is off the charts. I run across half the map to go to the sun room and get the artifact, but oh hey the entrance is now blocked by vines, so I try to go to the next shortest route and whoops that's an exit only, guess I need to take the longest, farthest route possible to get there. Then there is that silo room. It's easy to get the artifact but theres a weapon upgrade too and you need 60 goddamn missiles to get it, and the whole endgame is a missile vacuum, so I don't have nearly enough and it resets if you leave. Basically I have to do another big backtrack or grind them off bugs to get it. I just gave up on that. Then to top everything off, Chozo Ghosts every 5 feet. Which I think might go down as one of my least favorite video game enemies. Not because they are hard, they aren't. But because you have to fight them in a a mode that looks like my graphics card just died and they magically disappear constantly, and also are giant damage sponges. Super missiles take them out easy, but unfortunately something that needs super missiles for progression seems to pop up every 5 feet, so I am almost dry on missiles constantly. Also, unrelated but Prime has the worst grappling hook ever I think.

The endgame seems like it should feel like a victory lap, but the whole thing is glacial, even though I'm mostly just running past enemies and doing it as quick as I can.

That said, I still think it's a ridiculously good game that holds up almost 100%, but man just a few little QOL improvements would make the pacing feel so much better. Part of me likes how unapologetically old school it is. Even for it's time it feels old school. Like something that came out in 92 not 02. Then the other part of me is like jfc, just let me use some limited form of fast travel and maybe mark stuff on the map and don't make it such a pita to replenish my stuff. I used a guide so many times lol. And iirc the original didn't even have the question marks that pop up after you have been lost for a while, right?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 20, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Meowywitch posted:

Many adventurers have died of boredom/exposure irl, soo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

And iirc the original didn't even have the question marks that pop up after you have been lost for a while, right?

No, those have always existed (In the PAL version at least, I can't speak for the US/JPN release).

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
This is my first time playing Prime and I am also burned out on all the backtracking. I got my final artifact last week but haven’t picked the game back up to go to place the artifacts. Because I don’t want to run all the way back there.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

It's a meme now (mixed with pure desperation), ofc it's not going to get announced in an indy direct.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
just heard from my uncle that it will stealth drop "sometime next month" fwiw

E: He's not employed at Nintendo or anywhere else that may have insider knowledge, and I'm not sure why he said that. Hope I didn't give anyone the wrong impression.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 20, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

That was a lot of words to say you should have gitten gud

I ticked off most of the artifacts without even having to intentionally backtrack for them because I was thorough at exploring and revisiting areas once I got new abilities to go find things that I remembered not being able to get before

And I really don't get all the fuss about Chozo Ghosts, they're chumps, like yeah the effect if they hit you is annoying so just sidestep it

Even before the X-Ray visor they're easy to fight if you literally don't move and just stand in a corner with a charged beam ready to dome them when they uncloak, sidestepping their attacks as needed

Once you have the X-Ray beam and super missiles then they're trivial

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Chozo Ghosts are much easier once you realize Super Missiles count as a normal Beam attack, despite what the game might want you to believe.

Also backtracking for stuff at the end was mostly fun for me, the actual pains where the midgame parts where the game expects you to go to the other side of the map for a thing instead of following the exit clearly next to you.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Chozo Ghosts are more annoying than anything else. They're everywhere, their music is annoying, the noises they make are annoying, they teleport everywhere, and they can flinch you out of your charge. Not a big deal with fighting them one on one, but the fuckers attack in packs. You could be locked into one with the x-ray visor ready to erase its existence with a Super Missile, when his buddy across the room takes issue with this and flinches you out of the charge.

The real problem that guy is having is getting to the end-game Artifact hunt and having less than 60 missiles? Like, my guy. The game shits those are you if you make any effort to explore at all. That's what you're meant to do while backtracking through areas you've been to before. You're supposed to look for and collect upgrades. I wound up with 200 missiles by the time I turned in the artifacts, just from being diligent about exploring.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the Japanese version of the indie direct previewed Sea of Stars, Dungeon Drafters, Gigabash, Potion Permit, World of Horror, an actual Cyberfunk feature, and Another Crab's Treasure. Japan got the A+ show and they saddled USA with the C- farm poo poo lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Chozo Ghosts are more annoying than anything else. They're everywhere, their music is annoying, the noises they make are annoying, they teleport everywhere, and they can flinch you out of your charge. Not a big deal with fighting them one on one, but the fuckers attack in packs. You could be locked into one with the x-ray visor ready to erase its existence with a Super Missile, when his buddy across the room takes issue with this and flinches you out of the charge.

The real problem that guy is having is getting to the end-game Artifact hunt and having less than 60 missiles? Like, my guy. The game shits those are you if you make any effort to explore at all. That's what you're meant to do while backtracking through areas you've been to before. You're supposed to look for and collect upgrades. I wound up with 200 missiles by the time I turned in the artifacts, just from being diligent about exploring.

Also upgrades have a very specific audio cue you can hear whenever you're in a room with one, once you know it (just listen to the "bwwAAAAAMMM" looping sound made after a boss fight when they drop a new piece of gear, it's that) it's very easy to find a shitload of them just by knowing there's a fake wall or something you can do in that room to get one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

DLC Inc posted:

the Japanese version of the indie direct previewed Sea of Stars, Dungeon Drafters, Gigabash, Potion Permit, World of Horror, an actual Cyberfunk feature, and Another Crab's Treasure. Japan got the A+ show and they saddled USA with the C- farm poo poo lol

Don't all of those already have release dates and such on Switch in NA? I thought most of this was for announcing new titles or release periods.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

For as a much of a masterpiece the first 75% of Prime is, the very late areas and run to get all of the artifacts at the end is one of the most tedious things I have ever seen in a game. I’m actually surprised I forgot about this part entirely. It’s loving painful.
You can get like 2/3rds of the artifacts along the way if you know about them. The only ones that feel genuinely out of the way for me is the Artfact of Elder (Control Tower) because you have no real other reason to return to the Phendrana base at that point, and the Artifact of Newborn (Phazon Mining Tunnel) because it's literally way rear end at the bottom of the map and all those fusion metroids show up by the time you try to get it.

veni veni veni posted:

I run across half the map to go to the sun room and get the artifact, but oh hey the entrance is now blocked by vines, so I try to go to the next shortest route and whoops that's an exit only, guess I need to take the longest, farthest route possible to get there.
I do agree this is annoying. I don't think the game communicates to you that this route is blocked until you attempt it, but it does tell you that it's open again. So it does waste your time, but it's not like a lot of time.

veni veni veni posted:

just let me use some limited form of fast travel and maybe mark stuff on the map and don't make it such a pita to replenish my stuff.
They tried to fix both the fast travel and map marking complaints in Prime 3. The fast travel system itself was controversial, and fundamentally I think if they "just added it" to Prime (say being able to teleport between save rooms) you'd miss out on the fact that areas you do frequently retravel also hold items you can only get later in the game anyways. That said I do wish they could've figured out how to add Prime 3's map improvements to the Prime remaster.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
chozo ghosts do sometimes lock the doors on you but I'm pretty sure they don't always do that

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Bleck posted:

I'd appreciate some more info on this.

(Warning for rape)
https://jickenwings.org/

I don't know the guy personally obviously so maybe I don't know him at all, but (more rape) expressing almost no regret over your friend raping your girlfriend beyond "yeah he's a real rear end in a top hat sometimes" is such a vacuously evil thing to do that it's hard to look at him the same way again.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

chozo ghosts do sometimes lock the doors on you but I'm pretty sure they don't always do that

I just went through this spot and you're right. The first ones you meet in the bowling room lock the doors on you, but the next set you meet while backtracking you can just run past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Morpheus posted:

Don't all of those already have release dates and such on Switch in NA? I thought most of this was for announcing new titles or release periods.

Potion Permit is literally already out in America lol