Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
In my first playthrough all my horses were named after Fallout 2 towns because they're both westerns with a similar sense of humor and the idea of playing F2 remade with R* level money and graphical fidelity is a dream that will never be realized

In my current playthrough they're all time travel references to lampshade the kind of meta narrative elements of knowing what's coming and prolonging Arthur's fate by slowly going for 100% completionist (also time travel canonically exists in RDR2 lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Every time I get a horse in any game I name it Cobalt after Jack Packard's horse in Breath of the Wild. Cobalt threw himself off a cliff during a Twitch stream when Jack picked up a rock and dropped it too close to the horse, startling him into running forwards to his certain death. He hadn't found the horse god at that point in his playthrough and didn't know Cobalt could be revived :smith:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Every time I get a horse in any game I name it Cobalt after Jack Packard's horse in Breath of the Wild. Cobalt threw himself off a cliff during a Twitch stream when Jack picked up a rock and dropped it too close to the horse, startling him into running forwards to his certain death. He hadn't found the horse god at that point in his playthrough and didn't know Cobalt could be revived :smith:

When I first played RDR1, I accidentally shot my own horse during a gunfight. I didn't realise your horse would respawn if you whistled though so I walked all the way back to the nearest town, really sad and wondering if I'd be able to afford a horse or have to like walk everywhere until I could.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Should I watch the show Deadwood?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

It's very very good, I'd recommend it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

NikkolasKing posted:

Absolutely, unambiguously yes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

NikkolasKing posted:

Absolutely, cocksucker

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

You'd be a hooplehead if you didn't.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I named every horse after a beer

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What the fuck1?! :stwoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PFgyuLXjTQ

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

time for a replay

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Apparently I did the Aberdeen Pig Farm mission way the hell wrong. I approached them and went into the house for food, went upstairs to call the woman down but didn't actually enter the bedroom because she was in the nip and I'm a nice honourable Arthur who doesn't perve on nudey ladies :tipshat: I found the skeleton in the closet and went back downstairs without starting the conversation thread with the brother, because Cobalt my horse got spooked by a rattlesnake. Soon as the brother heard the gunshots he ran outside shooting at me, so I killed him and his sister and didn't even know about their mother's grave up the hill until I watched this video earlier today (24:37 if the timestamped link doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAiicEbUCYg&t=1477s

If I go back to the house I assume they're both dead and the interaction can't be restarted, right?

Poo In An Alleyway fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 8, 2023

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Undead Nightmare for RDR2 would be some good silly fun, I wish they had made one. At least there are some spooky aspects to RDR 2 like the swamp people, the plague-ridden town and the St. Denis ghost.

Had a great moment recently where I started to drink some liquor as I was fleeing lawmen, but just as I put it to my lips a bullet barely missed my head and shattered the bottle.

It's insane to think about how much money GTA:Online must be printing, because an Undead Nightmare 2 would have sold DLC to like... everybody that owns RDR2, and RDR2 set some sales records when it came out, too. Like, there is no doubt in my mind an UN2 would have been the highest-selling and fastest-selling DLC in history and there is no way Rockstar doesn't know that, but they're sitting so pretty with GTA:O they were like "eh".

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Apparently I did the Aberdeen Pig Farm mission way the hell wrong. I approached them and went into the house for food, went upstairs to call the woman down but didn't actually enter the bedroom because she was in the nip and I'm a nice honourable Arthur who doesn't perve on nudey ladies :tipshat: I found the skeleton in the closet and went back downstairs without starting the conversation thread with the brother, because Cobalt my horse got spooked by a rattlesnake. Soon as the brother heard the gunshots he ran outside shooting at me, so I killed him and his sister and didn't even know about their mother's grave up the hill until I watched this video earlier today (24:37 if the timestamped link doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAiicEbUCYg&t=1477s

If I go back to the house I assume they're both dead and the interaction can't be restarted, right?

I don't believe it can be restarted, no. And you double-messed up because they function as a bank if you wish to give money to John so he can start his epilogue journey with a fat knot in his back pocket. The pig-siblings take your money and if you don't retrieve it, it'll be there when John comes into your control.

That's why you should always keep 3 or 4 saves rotating.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's just one of the most dramatic encounters in the game, reading a description of it is one of the reasons I started this run through.

Then I messed it up and didn't get to do it :v:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

It's just one of the most dramatic encounters in the game, reading a description of it is one of the reasons I started this run through.

Then I messed it up and didn't get to do it :v:

well you'll just have to dust yourself off and do it all over again cowboy, yee ha

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tumble posted:

well you'll just have to dust yourself off and do it all over again cowboy, yee ha

Hunting keeps me from starting a new run. Just let me skip the skinning cutscenes after I've seen them twenty or thirty times. I get it, it's a novel not a game, but holy bananas.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I never not laugh thinking about Arthur's eyes darting back and forth as he works out the implications of them talking about their parents :allears:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I never not laugh thinking about Arthur's eyes darting back and forth as he works out the implications of them talking about their parents :allears:

I love how willingly he goes along with them despite him obviously digesting all the evidence that the whole situation is extraordinarily creepy and getting creepier.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hey, he's not tilting the joystick, he's just keeping his hat on. Some of the time

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
In Red Dead Online, is a Trader's 'hammer' considered a deadly weapon, ie: it'll turn a fist fight into a lethal fight? I mainly ask because I want to do as much damage to folks when I have to illegally take supplies, but still be able to knock them out for minimal law trouble.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I finished the epilogues over the weekend, came into here and read the last few pages to find out what cool hidden stuff I'd missed hidden around the map. It turns out most of what I missed out on was campfire discussions and character building.

Guarma seems to get a lot of criticism for being half finished, but the huge, empty, unused map of the epilogues is the more egregious flaw. Was it entirely fan service for people who had played the first game? From a gameplay-supporting-the-narrative perspective it makes Dutch and Hosea seem either dumb as hell or thoroughly disingenuous because there is NOBODY west of Tall Trees, if the gang had scooted upriver around Blackwater they would have been able to hide out in perfect solitude.

And when the mission dialogue started building up the skinners as this wandering, extra brutal gang I got excited because hell yeah here comes the Micah Gang it's showdown time but then nope turns out he's up north with yet another gang actually, the skinners are just wild and the inexorable inevitable civilizing of the west is in fact optional.

I'm thinking about playing the early chapters over to get a chance to read Arthur's journal after every mission and see more camp interactions. Is there a good guide to make camp dialogue more likely? I'm interested in character moments; don't need to 100% it and don't care about unlockable rare items.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

ploots posted:

I finished the epilogues over the weekend

They do kind of address the emptiness of the rest of the map by the few places you visit having just been ravaged by a bad plague, with the implication that it was sweeping through the area around the same time that Arthur and friends were up north. Doesn't entirely square with how populated it is a short time later at the beginning of RDR1, but it's a good enough conceit for having that much empty land around.

Though I think the real answer was "they built it for RDO thinking it would be another GTAO cash cow"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

They do kind of address the emptiness of the rest of the map by the few places you visit having just been ravaged by a bad plague, with the implication that it was sweeping through the area around the same time that Arthur and friends were up north. Doesn't entirely square with how populated it is a short time later at the beginning of RDR1, but it's a good enough conceit for having that much empty land around.

Though I think the real answer was "they built it for RDO thinking it would be another GTAO cash cow"

Lol is that why the plague stuff is in the epilogue? I assumed it was cut content but that makes more sense

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
I always thought the plague stuff was "RDR Mystery" fanservice what with the mysterious top hat man seemingly involved in all the unexplained weirdness, the abandoned Pleasance town and the witch house and UFOs et al. I imagined the rest of New Austin was cut content for the main storyline somehow, and they were too rushed to make a whole new area as interesting and full of things to do. Arthur has his own journal entries for things found in New Austin if you disable the invisible sniper. The failed RDO plan makes a lot of sense though.

I'd love to know the real reason it was included

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So I just started this game. I'm pretty apathetic about Rockstar and their house style but the slow pace and excruciating detail to no purpose other than because it's cool was enough to get me to pick it up. I just got to the train robbery and I'm willing to stick it out but there is some serious JRPG levels of slow drip intro and tutorials. If it didn't have so much going for it I'd have quit already. Also I find the gang pretty lovely overall. Other than Charles, Lenny, and the even handed old guy whose name I forget atm.

Also for as cool as the game is, and it is very cool, nothing whatsoever has changed about their mission design. I'm pleasantly surprised that if I want, I can skip sections.

I don't think it's bad I just want to be cut loose already and this is a pretty tall ask to sit through this much preamble.

I'm just venting. Once I'm cut loose I'll be hootin and hollerin I'm sure of it. When the hell does that happen though?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
after about 20 more minutes of gameplay

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I don't know what specifically you're trying to get out of the game (loving around with all the mechanics unlocked? being able to 100% it? just making Arthur be really fat and drunk all the time?) but in terms of like, milestones:

-I think the last major gameplay mechanic unlock is fishing, which happens midway through Chapter 2
-I think the last minor mechanic unlock is either legendary fishing or selling stolen horses to a pair of fancy lads which is in Chapter 3
-you can do most challenges/collectibles/fun trapper clothing sets/etc from this point on, but a small handful of them are in the southern map which doesn't open until the epilogue
-if you care about crafting blankets and completing tasks for your camp friends that pretty much goes away midway through Chapter 4
-Chapter 5 is entirely on rails and Chapter 6 isn't much better

edit: fixed the chapters, Colter being chapter 1 is BS! its like two hours long!

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 19, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC the prologue is listed as chapter 1

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Yep, bump all those chapters up by 1 and you got it

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Cool goons thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to see the story through but games like this always make me want to hoof it off into the bush and find things to do.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh you’ll have plenty

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Thinking of buying a new computer rig later this year. If I wanted to max out all of the settings for RDR2 at 1440p 175 hz on the new Alienware 34" curved OLED monitor, what kind of graphics card and processor should I be looking at?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

Cool goons thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to see the story through but games like this always make me want to hoof it off into the bush and find things to do.

One of my fondest memories of the game is being hunched down in the bushes hunting boar when a camp member showed up from across the other side of the map to say,"You've been gone for weeks, we got worried and I came to find you!" and I realized that I'd basically been exploring/hunting/hat-tipping and howdying non-stop straight for ages and hadn't even realized how long I'd completely divorced myself from the main story.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 20, 2023

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

One of my fondest memories of the game is being hunched down in the bushes hunting boar when a camp member showed up from across the other side of the map to say,"You've been gone for weeks, we got worried and I came to find you!" and I realized that I'd basically been exploring/hunting/hat-tipping and howdying non-stop straight for and hadn't even realized how long I'd completely divorced myself from the main story.

Ok now I'm really pumped. That's pretty much the kind of thing I want from this game.

So many games ditch incidental flavor because they want players to get to the action. For some games I think that makes sense, but for something like this, gimme all that slow methodical poo poo because I just wanna live in it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

BurningBeard posted:

Ok now I'm really pumped. That's pretty much the kind of thing I want from this game.

So many games ditch incidental flavor because they want players to get to the action. For some games I think that makes sense, but for something like this, gimme all that slow methodical poo poo because I just wanna live in it.

Investigate everything, most of the empty houses have interesting stories and things to see and find. I still ride to Pleasance, just to see if I missed anything...

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

One of my fondest memories of the game is being hunched down in the bushes hunting boar when a camp member showed up from across the other side of the map to say,"You've been gone for weeks, we got worried and I came to find you!" and I realized that I'd basically been exploring/hunting/hat-tipping and howdying non-stop straight for ages and hadn't even realized how long I'd completely divorced myself from the main story.

Man I was blown away when that randomly happened to me. I’d been trekking across the map for days just collecting the cigarette cards, finding the dream catchers, doodling the rock carvings, oohing and aahing at all the beautiful locations and weird things I was finding, hunting different animals, trying not to get my dear horse Cobalt killed by bears, wolves and mountain lions, and just nosing around different areas to find weird encounters and treasures. Then Charles randomly rode towards me out of nowhere on his horse saying people were wondering where the hell I’d gone.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I really regret doing the first mission that moved my camp, I vastly preferred the first location and was not done there at all yet.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Osmosisch posted:

I really regret doing the first mission that moved my camp, I vastly preferred the first location and was not done there at all yet.

It is a good idea to look at sites that show the chains of missions that progress through the chapters so you can deliberately avoid doing the later ones in each chapter if you want to stay where you are and mess around in the open world.

Also worth noting that there are a couple of missions which automatically transition into further missions and may progress the story without giving you a chance to stop, as well as at least one where it starts as soon as you get near the mission-giver in camp without giving you the chance to say no.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

I can't wait to play the epilogue so I can go back to the old campsite spots to hear the ghostly voices of old conversations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAiicEbUCYg&t=1361s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The only thing I miss from Red Dead 2 is that alligators never spread out when laying down, and thus it can never be Flat gently caress Friday.

https://twitter.com/GatorsDaily/status/1649408379847159813